PS3 Games

oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I purchased an original (60GB) PS3 for a great price at a garage sale. I bought it for the Blu Ray but it also came with Resistance Fall of Man and a Madden NFL game.

I am not very adept (remember, this is olderman :) ) at the first person shooting games and the football game is ok. I have managed to get deep into the Resistance game but I still use the console mostly for blu ray and it is excellent.

I would like to get a good game that I can get into so help me out please.

I like games with puzzles and rpg's from the nintendo days of past. Does PS3 offer anything like those?

Browsing online, I see that many of the games are fps's. Not interested in any more of those.

I also saw two sports management sim games. One is MLB Front office manager and the other is NFL Head Coach. Are these worth checking out?

I've seen threads on here about video games so I know I can depend on your input.

Thanks for your time.
Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
As she slams the door in his drunken face
And now he stands outside
And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
And his tears fall and burn the garden green
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    I'll be honest. While it is still a shooter, I thoroughly enjoyed Fallout 3. It's a game complete with puzzles and other stuff. I would definitely recommend renting it (at least) to see if you jibe with it. I rented it a couple months back, beat it, and I still think about that game. Totally left me with a good impression.

I have not played MLB Front Office or Head Coach yet. I'm more interested in Head Coach, but I wasn't all that impressed with the last version of it. I enjoyed it's complexities and how deep inside the game you could get, it just took forever to get through all of it and became extremely repetitive.

I mostly play sports games, and by sports I mean football. The newer incarnation of Madden is good and NCAA football is decent. I probably buy 2 games a year, and one of those games is always NCAA Football. I do believe I will buy Fallout 3 though. I just really enjoyed that game.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I'll be honest. While it is still a shooter, I thoroughly enjoyed Fallout 3. It's a game complete with puzzles and other stuff. I would definitely recommend renting it (at least) to see if you jibe with it. I rented it a couple months back, beat it, and I still think about that game. Totally left me with a good impression.

I have not played MLB Front Office or Head Coach yet. I'm more interested in Head Coach, but I wasn't all that impressed with the last version of it. I enjoyed it's complexities and how deep inside the game you could get, it just took forever to get through all of it and became extremely repetitive.

I mostly play sports games, and by sports I mean football. The newer incarnation of Madden is good and NCAA football is decent. I probably buy 2 games a year, and one of those games is always NCAA Football. I do believe I will buy Fallout 3 though. I just really enjoyed that game.
    While Fallout is technicially an FPS, it also qualifies as an RPG, so I second Porchsitter's recommendation of renting it ;)
    As far as RPG's go, Final Fantasy 13 is due out in a year or something, and that'll be the one to wait for.

All I've been playing on PS3 lately is Far Cry 2 (FPS), Resistance 2 (FPS) and Burnout Paradise. Little Big Planet might fit the bill if you're looking for a platformer/puzzle solving game. There are quite a few demos on the PS store you should browse and check out too.

Oh, and Resistance 1 is not a good shooter, in my opinion, so it's little wonder that it would turn you off from them. The Call of Duty series is far better as far as shooters go, and Killzone 2 is getting very good ratings (not out for a few weeks yet) although I didn't find the demo all that spectacular.
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    thanks. btw, are the Zelda games 'platform' games? if not, what games(s) is an example? (most of my gaming experience is with the nintendo consoles, SNES and prior, when my daughter was growing up)
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    if you like hockey, NHL 09 is incredible- it actually has the feature to change the control settings to NHL 94 to make it really easy. I don't even watch hockey but that is my favorite game

I wouldn't get Head Coach or the MLB one only because you can do most of that on Madden. You can act as the owner with trades and the draft and all of that with Madden and if you don't want to play the actual games of the season you can just simulate them

As far as role playing games, you might check out Grand Theft Auto 4. Depending on what your feelings are on the material, it's a really good role playing game. You are a guy in a very realistic version of NYC sent to do jobs. The jobs are where you may or may not like game because you are killing people and stealing cars and all that....but it's just a game. The details in that game are stunning though.
  • I don't play,but my son does....he's constantly downloading demos to see what he likes.
    The bus came by and I got on!!!!!
    olderman wrote:
    thanks. btw, are the Zelda games 'platform' games? if not, what games(s) is an example? (most of my gaming experience is with the nintendo consoles, SNES and prior, when my daughter was growing up)
    Zelda isn't a platformer, it's an RPG. Super Mario is a platformer - games where you've got to jump over things or onto platforms, etc.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Fallout 3 is as mentioned a shooter, but also a role playing game. It is a lot of fun.

Outside of shooters, I would highly recommend Little Big Planet. That game is so much fun and if you are online, you can literally play tens of thousands of user created levels, rank them, play with others online if you want. And you create your own levels to share with the world.
    As Rygar mentioned, the new Final Fantasy is coming out pretty soon and should be pretty good.

As far as sports go...I would highly recommend NHL '09 and if you are a big baseball fan like I am, you owe it to yourself to pick up MLB '09 The Show (comes out early March). MLB The Show is the best baseball game hands-down. It's incredibly deep, you can do almost anything you could imagine that has to do with baseball and it's all done really well. I'd highly recommend you download the demo from the PSN Store.

Also, you should check out some Playstation Store games in the mean time.
    Pixel Junk Monsters is good
    High Velocity Bowling is great.
    Magic Ball is fun
    Warhawk ( I don't have this but heard it's fun)
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    FIFA 09 is the best sports game on the market. no need to rent it, no need to download the demo... just go to the store and buy it!
    mca47 wrote:
    Fallout 3 is as mentioned a shooter, but also a role playing game. It is a lot of fun.

Outside of shooters, I would highly recommend Little Big Planet. That game is so much fun and if you are online, you can literally play tens of thousands of user created levels, rank them, play with others online if you want. And you create your own levels to share with the world.
    As Rygar mentioned, the new Final Fantasy is coming out pretty soon and should be pretty good.

As far as sports go...I would highly recommend NHL '09 and if you are a big baseball fan like I am, you owe it to yourself to pick up MLB '09 The Show (comes out early March). MLB The Show is the best baseball game hands-down. It's incredibly deep, you can do almost anything you could imagine that has to do with baseball and it's all done really well. I'd highly recommend you download the demo from the PSN Store.

Also, you should check out some Playstation Store games in the mean time.
    Pixel Junk Monsters is good
    High Velocity Bowling is great.
    Magic Ball is fun
    Warhawk ( I don't have this but heard it's fun)

Warhawk is pretty good but I haven't put too much time into it.
    FIFA 09 is the best sports game on the market. no need to rent it, no need to download the demo... just go to the store and buy it!

Haven't played it yet. It can't be better than NHL '09 though, can it? That game is great!
    Also, MLB The Show is pretty damn incredible too. The Show '08 was awesome, then I downloaded the '09 demo...Wow! The really made a ton of improvement on a game that was pretty much awesome already.
    The graphics, and lighting are incredible, they fixed some of the fielding issues, and they added a ton of new features for this year.

I will be getting it the day it's released. Can't wait.

Oh, and I will check out FIFA '09! ;)
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    mca47 wrote:

Haven't played it yet. It can't be better than NHL '09 though, can it? That game is great!
    Also, MLB The Show is pretty damn incredible too. The Show '08 was awesome, then I downloaded the '09 demo...Wow! The really made a ton of improvement on a game that was pretty much awesome already.
    The graphics, and lighting are incredible, they fixed some of the fielding issues, and they added a ton of new features for this year.

I will be getting it the day it's released. Can't wait.

Oh, and I will check out FIFA '09! ;)

i personally think it kills NHL 09, and hockey is my favorite sport while soccer is 3 or 4 on my list.

for some reason, i am just not a huge fan of the NHL video games... still yet to play one that REALLY impresses me. i've had NHL 09 for about 2 weeks now, and it is great, don't get me wrong, i love playing it.

i think FIFA has the better graphics, commentary, they have something like 200 different crowd chants (the crowd goes nuts the entire game, it's great), and i just think the overall gameplay is better.
  • I think the only real RPG out for ps3 right now is Eternal Sonata and it's not great.

If you like turn bases strategy games I really recommend a game called Valkyria Chronicles. It's basically a game that takes place in an alternate reality and there is a war similar to world war 2. You control a squad and each map has a different objective like destroy this tank or capture this base. During each turn you get to move each member of your squad one at a time and after your done the enemy goes. It's a really good game if you're into that kinda thing.

Besides that the only other game I think is really worth getting is Fight Night Round 3. I've spent hours playing that game. It's a lot of fun.

Anyway I hope that helps some! :)
  • mini_tbmini_tb Posts: 420
    I also recently bought a PS3 mostly for the Blu Ray and am not a fan of FPS's.

Littlebigplanet is fantastic. Designing the costumes is a blast, and that's just a small part of the game!! It's very unique and innovative. I highly recommend it.

For a cheapo mindless entertainment game, the Star Wars Lego game might be worth a shot. Can't say I much care for the Indiana Jones one, though. The levels are too freaking long!
    Glorified version of a pelican
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I'm an Xbox 360 man myself, but I think we can all agree that Street Fighter 4 is the must-have game right now. It's no out over here yet, but I'll be buying it as soon as it's available.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
    mini_tb wrote:

Littlebigplanet is fantastic. Designing the costumes is a blast, and that's just a small part of the game!! It's very unique and innovative. I highly recommend it.

Have you created any levels yet? If so, you should post them on here so we can all play them. :)

I love going on an playing user levels, some of them are simply incredible (better than the developers could do!). You can easily waste an entire afternoon before you know it just playing some of the 50,000 levels or so that have been posted.
    For those of you that have a PS3, take a look at this pre-view of God of War 3...
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/954/954097p1.html

Also, here is the link to the trailer (also on the PSN for download)...
    http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/886158/g ... 21209.html

A couple of things in the article that stood out:

Developer refering to the trailer...
    "While the action within the trailer was scripted to tell the story that he wanted to tell for the trailer, everything that you see in here is using actual in-game engine, resolution, effects."

And the final line in the article...
    "Personally, I can't wait, because if it's even close to what we were shown during the screening, in the end, there might be only chaos, but it could also be one of the best games any system will ever have."

Awesome!
    mca47 wrote:
    For those of you that have a PS3, take a look at this pre-view of God of War 3...

"While the action within the trailer was scripted to tell the story that he wanted to tell for the trailer, everything that you see in here is using actual in-game engine, resolution, effects."

"Personally, I can't wait, because if it's even close to what we were shown during the screening, in the end, there might be only chaos, but it could also be one of the best games any system will ever have."

Awesome!
    Stood out when they said the Killzone trailer was rendered in-game too ;)

Seriously though, God of War looks pretty good. I have the first one and never bothered playing past the first stage, so I doubt I'll bite.
  • i'm not really a "gamer." i own a ps2 and a few games. i really enjoy the guitar hero games. i have yet to play rock band, but because it's so cheap right now for the ps2, i think i'm gonna get it sometime this week. anyone know if "ten" will become available as a track pack for the ps2?
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
    Rygar wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Awesome!
    Stood out when they said the Killzone trailer was rendered in-game too ;)

Seriously though, God of War looks pretty good. I have the first one and never bothered playing past the first stage, so I doubt I'll bite.

I believe the Killzone trailer rendering comments were nothing more than rumors, and definitely didn't come directly from the mouth of the developer.
    Anyways, you should check out the God of War series. It's good stuff. God of War 2 was a great game on the PS2, and hell...God of War: Chains of Olympus was nothing short of incredible on the PSP.

While not out for a while, GOW 3 is really something to look forward to (for me) as a fan of the series.
    mca47 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    I believe the Killzone trailer rendering comments were nothing more than rumors, and definitely didn't come directly from the mouth of the developer.
    Anyways, you should check out the God of War series. It's good stuff. God of War 2 was a great game on the PS2, and hell...God of War: Chains of Olympus was nothing short of incredible on the PSP.

While not out for a while, GOW 3 is really something to look forward to (for me) as a fan of the series.
    The Killzone trailer comments were made by Jack Tretton and Phil Harrison....

God of War is good, but not my type of game. Same with Heavenly Sword which is just a GoW rip off.
    Rygar wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

God of War is good, but not my type of game. Same with Heavenly Sword which is just a GoW rip off.

So what kinds of games are your type?
    mca47 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

So what kinds of games are your type?
    Most shooters, racing games, RPGs, etc. Check my trophies ;)
    I didn't say God of War wasn't any good cause I didn't like it.
  • if you played any of the other metal gears mgs4 is a must. its the reason i got a ps3. soon gow3 comes out along with the the two final fantasy XIII games.
    if you played any of the other metal gears mgs4 is a must. its the reason i got a ps3. soon gow3 comes out along with the the two final fantasy XIII games.
    Yeah MGS was pretty good indeed.
    Looking forward to the two FFs.
  • mini_tbmini_tb Posts: 420
    mca47 wrote:
    mini_tb wrote:

Have you created any levels yet? If so, you should post them on here so we can all play them. :)

I love going on an playing user levels, some of them are simply incredible (better than the developers could do!). You can easily waste an entire afternoon before you know it just playing some of the 50,000 levels or so that have been posted.

My level creating has been limited to blowing stuff up to see how the physics work. I haven't been able to find the time to putz around with that (yet).
    Glorified version of a pelican
    mini_tb wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

My level creating has been limited to blowing stuff up to see how the physics work. I haven't been able to find the time to putz around with that (yet).
    Blowing stuff up, you say?
    It would appear I may have misunderestimated LBP...
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Ouch this will put a huge hole in the PS3 if this happens.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... 68281167/1
    NERDS!

The whole thing is complete nonsense.

First of all does Activision really have it in itself to drop millions of dollars in sales because the well-known upfront costs to develop on the PS3 weren't considered or don't want to be considered?

Secondly, why is a 3rd party company talking out of their ass about the very companies they agreed to do business with? Really?...and according to the article...the PSP (a 8 year old system) is too expensive to develop for? Congrats Activision for being so proactive and determining that 8 years after the fact.

One wonders why this all of a sudden comes out.

The 360 and PS3 versions of Activision games are consistently the "same". Did they not consider the apparent extra efforts it would take to make the same exact game for the PS3?

When it comes down to it, I don't give a shit if Activision stays with PS or not, NOPE!...but I do question the intentions of this company.
    Going public on a company that pays you a fortune saying they you might cut them because you've recently become a force in the industry and their console is too expensive...yet people keep buying it?
    BS!
    Activision has also recently mentioned making a Call of Duty "lobby" where they'd charge you for joining 'Modern Warefare 2' or other games (PS3 or 360)!
    BS! These guys must be trying to meet quotas or something because this is nonsense!
    Seems like their CFO is on the verge...
    It would not surprise me if Microsoft was lining someone's pockets to have them make these claims.
    Activision, who have made games for PS since the PS1...now pulling this?

I call BS.

Yeah...take away millions of dollars of revenue! Brilliant!
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    i have an xbox360 so Im not entirely qualified to answer your question.

However, I can say Fallout 3 is the best video game ever made and it is available on ps3
    mca47 wrote:

The whole thing is complete nonsense.

First of all does Activision really have it in itself to drop millions of dollars in sales because the well-known upfront costs to develop on the PS3 weren't considered or don't want to be considered?

Secondly, why is a 3rd party company talking out of their ass about the very companies they agreed to do business with? Really?...and according to the article...the PSP (a 8 year old system) is too expensive to develop for? Congrats Activision for being so proactive and determining that 8 years after the fact.

One wonders why this all of a sudden comes out.

The 360 and PS3 versions of Activision games are consistently the "same". Did they not consider the apparent extra efforts it would take to make the same exact game for the PS3?

When it comes down to it, I don't give a shit if Activision stays with PS or not, NOPE!...but I do question the intentions of this company.
    Going public on a company that pays you a fortune saying they you might cut them because you've recently become a force in the industry and their console is too expensive...yet people keep buying it?
    BS!
    Activision has also recently mentioned making a Call of Duty "lobby" where they'd charge you for joining 'Modern Warefare 2' or other games (PS3 or 360)!
    BS! These guys must be trying to meet quotas or something because this is nonsense!
    Seems like their CFO is on the verge...
    It would not surprise me if Microsoft was lining someone's pockets to have them make these claims.
    Activision, who have made games for PS since the PS1...now pulling this?

I call BS.

Yeah...take away millions of dollars of revenue! Brilliant!
    Of course it is BS, he is just saying what everyone else in the industry has already said but added a threat to it.
    No biggie.

And Infinity Ward laughed at the pay to play idea. Ain't happening for their games.
    And thinking MS was behind these statements is even funnier than the statement itself. C'mon mca, don't go fanboy on us!