PJ Albums. Rank 'em. Again.

PHATJPHATJ Posts: 348
edited May 2010 in The Porch
I think we should do it again. Let's rank the PJ studio albums (from first to worst) in each of our own humble opinions. Let the bickering begin. Again.

This list changes with the seasons for me. There are really no constants other then Riot Act and Binaural are always at the bottom. At one time or another, I think every other album may have topped this list. So here goes...

1. Ten ~Every song is a classic. Release is my personal all time favorite song. This album truly changed my life. I can't honestly say that about any other PJ record. Also in anticipation of the "deluxe/remastered" edition that is about to be released, this album gets the top spot.

2. Vs. ~Nearly as influential on me personally as TEN and probably has topped my personal list more often then any other PJ album. I LOVE this album. Seriously LOVE it. Leash, Glorified G, Rats. Just so damn good. Every song. A very real rock Masterpiece.

3. NO CODE ~I remember being in my parent's basement with the lights out, and only a couple candles burning, laying in front of my stereo speakers, for hours and hours, as a 16 year old, and just letting this album ooze into my soul. (that was way too many commas). It has really felt like it has been a part of me since. Present Tense, In My Tree and Red Mosquito are brilliant songs. The only song that I don't think works is Habit, but I can forgive one song.

4. YIELD ~I skipped school to be in line at my local record store during my senior year of High School the day this album came out. It was an instant great. Lots of awesome rockers and some cool mellow songs too (like every PJ album I guess). Could easily sit at the top of this list at any time for me.

5. PEARL JAM (Avocado) ~I really enjoy this album. There are a couple songs (Big Wave, World Wide Suicide and Comatose) that I could really do without. That being said, I love the "feel" of the album. It isn't over worked. It almost feels like a live CD to me, and I love that.

6. VITALOGY ~A really great record. PJ's first venture into a "concept" album. Beautifully designed (including the album artwork. PJ's best art design in my opinion.). Some fantastic songs. Some all time classics. But there were also some big misses. Whipping, Pry,to, and especially Stupid Mop (I know that this is/can basically be considered a throw away track and really isn't a song at all, but Pearl Jam put it on the album and must be penalized for such a ridiculous decision). Immortality should have been the perfect closer.

7. BINAURAL ~This is a decent album. It is incredibly well recorded and that is the biggest reason it isn't last on my list (that, and the fact that I absolutely love "Sleight of Hand"). The biggest problem with Binaural isn't the songs that are actually on the album, it's the songs PJ inexplicably left off the album (Sad, Fatal, Hitchhiker, In the Moonlight and Education; to name some). This could have (and should have) been a truly monumental release, but with so many omissions, I can't place it any higher on my list.

8. RIOT ACT ~There are several songs that I like quite a bit on this CD. "I Am Mine", "Can't Keep", and "You Are", to name my favorites. But there are way too many forgettable tracks and an over all inconsistent vibe to this whole album. I would review it favorably in comparison to releases by many of the bands that put out albums during this time period, but when comparing Riot Act to other PJ albums, it absolutely falls far short.

Well, I hope you all enjoy this exercise of reviewing your own opinions of the Pearl Jam catalog. I hope my review didn't bore you to death. I am excited to see what you all have to say...
"I'll Ride the wave where it takes me. I'll Hold the pain. RELEASE ME!"

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,309
    here i go, quickly...and this is just my opinion today...it often changes

1. yield
    2. no code (the top two often change spots)
    3. vs.
    4. vitalogy
    5. riot act (this album gets waaaayyy too much crap. its damn good. how people can hate on cropduster or ghost is beyond me)
    6. avocado
    7. binaural
    8. ten (although the remixed version may bump it up a spot or two...)
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • BMo-643BMo-643 Posts: 220
    This is really like splitting hairs with me however I am bored at work and am willing to do it.

I'm just going to discuss each album chronologically and then list them in order and pick the best four songs on each album.

Ten - honestly I think we all know that every song on this is great, having said that I LOVE 8 of the 11 songs on this album. Release - Once - Why Go - Porch.

V/S - maybe song-for-song the best album. I like every song on this album - number of songs I love - 8 out of 12. Elderly Woman - Go - Animal - Indifference.

Vitalogy - love this album. I love 8 of the 14 songs/weird sounds. I hate that they put those weird songs on this album. Not for you - Tremor Christ - Satan's Bed and Immortality are 4 of my favorite songs ever so for them to all be on the one album makes this album stand out to me.

No Code - I love 7 of the 13 songs on this album. I know its "cool" for most of the fans to consider this their best album, and Its a great, great album but not even in my top 3 from them. - Sometimes - Smile - Red Mosquito and Present Tense.

Yield - I love 8 of the 13 songs on the album. All Those Yesterdays - No Way - Given to Fly - Untitled

Binaural - their weakest album in my eyes (and most peoples) I really love about 5 of the 13 songs. Its not that any of the songs on this album aren't good - they are all good. In my book there just isn't the same number of classics and must have's on this album. Nothing as it Seems - Light Years - Of the Girl - Gods Dice.

Riot Act - I love 8 (maybe 9) of the songs on this album out of the 15 that are on it. I agree this album takes WAYYY too much crap. This was actually the album that got me back into them and turned me into the fanatic that I am today. (I listened to them as a kid - then quit listening to them around 1996 until around 2002 - but have been a fanatical fan ever since) Love Boat Captain - I am Mine - All or None - Thumbing My Way.

Avocado - This album hasn't had time to ferment in our brains and for songs to become classic yet (at least in my opinion) so the fact that I only love 5 of the 13 songs on this album doesn't mean that I don't like the album - I do, I thought it was a great album. I just don't think that these songs have been around enough to become "great" in my book yet, ask me in another 10 years and this may be favorite album - who knows? Life Wasted - Comatose - Severed Hand - Parachutes.

OK pound for pound if I had to rank them in order from my favorite to least strictly based on the number of songs I LOVE on each album. When I say LOVE I mean if I am making a PJ playlist - those songs are going on it. I would rank them.

1. V/S
    2. Vitalogy
    3. Ten
    4. Yield
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Binaural
    8. Avocado.
    Cincinnati 06'
    Lollapalooza 07'
    Bonnaroo 08'
    Columbus 10'
    Noblesville 10'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Music Midtown 12'
    Wrigley Field 13'
    Cincinnati 14'
    Lexington 16'
  • PHATJPHATJ Posts: 348
    bmo643 wrote:
    This is really like splitting hairs with me however I am bored at work and am willing to do it.

I'm just going to discuss each album chronologically and then list them in order and pick the best four songs on each album.

Ten - honestly I think we all know that every song on this is great, having said that I LOVE 8 of the 11 songs on this album. Release - Once - Why Go - Porch.

V/S - maybe song-for-song the best album. I like every song on this album - number of songs I love - 8 out of 12. Elderly Woman - Go - Animal - Indifference.

Vitalogy - love this album. I love 8 of the 14 songs/weird sounds. I hate that they put those weird songs on this album. Not for you - Tremor Christ - Satan's Bed and Immortality are 4 of my favorite songs ever so for them to all be on the one album makes this album stand out to me.

No Code - I love 7 of the 13 songs on this album. I know its "cool" for most of the fans to consider this their best album, and Its a great, great album but not even in my top 3 from them. - Sometimes - Smile - Red Mosquito and Present Tense.

Yield - I love 8 of the 13 songs on the album. All Those Yesterdays - No Way - Given to Fly - Untitled

Binaural - their weakest album in my eyes (and most peoples) I really love about 5 of the 13 songs. Its not that any of the songs on this album aren't good - they are all good. In my book there just isn't the same number of classics and must have's on this album. Nothing as it Seems - Light Years - Of the Girl - Gods Dice.

Riot Act - I love 8 (maybe 9) of the songs on this album out of the 15 that are on it. I agree this album takes WAYYY too much crap. This was actually the album that got me back into them and turned me into the fanatic that I am today. (I listened to them as a kid - then quit listening to them around 1996 until around 2002 - but have been a fanatical fan ever since) Love Boat Captain - I am Mine - All or None - Thumbing My Way.

Avocado - This album hasn't had time to ferment in our brains and for songs to become classic yet (at least in my opinion) so the fact that I only love 5 of the 13 songs on this album doesn't mean that I don't like the album - I do, I thought it was a great album. I just don't think that these songs have been around enough to become "great" in my book yet, ask me in another 10 years and this may be favorite album - who knows? Life Wasted - Comatose - Severed Hand - Parachutes.

OK pound for pound if I had to rank them in order from my favorite to least strictly based on the number of songs I LOVE on each album. When I say LOVE I mean if I am making a PJ playlist - those songs are going on it. I would rank them.

1. V/S
    2. Vitalogy
    3. Ten
    4. Yield
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Binaural
    8. Avocado.

This is a well thought out post! Although I am not in complete agreement with your final analysis (mainly Avocado placing last), I definitely appreciate your well thought input. Well done indeed.

• BMo-643BMo-643 Posts: 220
    This is a well thought out post! Although I am not in complete agreement with your final analysis (mainly Avocado placing last), I definitely appreciate your well thought input. Well done indeed.[/quote]

I could talk about lists of anything for days and make up lists for just about anything on earth so posts like these are my favorite. Yeah I just can't rank the Avocado album any higher simply because its not been around long enough for me and doesn't have the memories associated with it like the other albums do - especially Vitalogy. About the only list I couldn't make is a list of my favorite Pearl Jam songs - thats impossible.
    Cincinnati 06'
    Lollapalooza 07'
    Bonnaroo 08'
    Columbus 10'
    Noblesville 10'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Music Midtown 12'
    Wrigley Field 13'
    Cincinnati 14'
    Lexington 16'
  • 1) No Code.
    2) Vitalogy.
    3) Vs.
    4) Yield.
    5) Binaural.
    6) Ten.
    7) Riot Act.
    8) Pearl Jam.

That's my list with about 10 seconds of thought put into it. The only one I feel confident about is No Code. Doesn't matter much anyways, as I love them all :D
  • YIELD
    Vs.
    No Code
    Ten
    Vitalogy
    Binaural
    Pearl Jam
    Riot Act
  • No Code
    Binaural
    Yield
    Ten
    Vitalogy
    VS
    Riot Act
    Pearl Jam
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    NO CODE
    Binaural
    Yield
    Pearl Jam
    VS
    Vitalogy
    Riot Act
    Ten
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,634
    I am only doing this because Avocado is getting the low rank from everyone:

1. Avocado
    2. Vs.
    3. Vitalogy
    4. Yield
    5. No Code
    6. Ten
    7. Riot Act
    8. Binural
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    what's the need?

They are all good.
  • rank the pearl jam albums????

the first 3 were KICK ASS!!!!!
    the next 3 were FUCKING GOOD!!!!!!!!!!

the last 2 were BLAH...........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • FatalFatal Posts: 821
    1. Vitalogy
    2. Ten
    3. Vs.
    4. No Code
    5. Pearl Jam
    6. Yield
    7. Binaural
    8. Riot Act
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Ten
    Vs
    No Code
    Yield
    Binaural
    Vitalogy
    Riot Act

Pearl Jam

i have high hopes for the new album.
    Nice shirt.
  • bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    1. Vs
    2. Yield
    3. Ten
    4. Avocado
    5. Vitalogy
    6. No Code
    7. Binaural
    8. Riot Act
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    1)Ten
    2)No Code
    3)Vs
    4)Vitalogy
    5)Pearl Jam
    6) Binaural
    7)Riot Act
    8) Yield

I just never got into Yield as much as everything else, all the albums are great, but if someone put the eight albums out in front of me and said pick 7 of these to put into your CD player, Yield would always be the one left out.

And depending on the mood the top 5 are all interchangeable

I have really high hopes for the new album, especially after the descriptions of some of the songs in that Rolling Stone article.
    32 shows and counting...
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    OK, like everyone else, this changes from time to time.

1) YIELD - This is the album that cemented them as my favorite band and began the obsession. From the opening shot of Brain of J, to the contemplative ending of All Those Yesterdays, to me this is a flawless record. I think it captures their sound and their potential better than any other record. Given to Fly says all you need to know about this great band.

2) Vs. - The first album I can remember where I actually stood in line to buy it on the sale date. Solid follow-up to their breakthrough record, this is PJ at their heaviest but also contains some of thier best ballads (Daughter, Small Town). Go, Animal, Blood and RVM show they can hang with anyone but Indifference sets them apart.

3) Pearl Jam - This record restored my faith in them. That is why I rank it so high. I felt they (especially Ed) had begun to mail it in with Riot Act. I think PJ was a consious step by them to regain their edge and get their message back out. The songs are punchy, melodic and Mike hasn't played leads like this since Vs. More Mike!! And Ed is back with his story-telling method of writing. The entire album (except maybe Big Wave) is tied together with the theme of war, loss, and the anxiousness people felt living in America during the difficult years just after the Iraq war begin. And there is a thread of hope too. I said my list changes, and sometimes this moves to the top.

4) Vitalogy - So many great songs. So much anger. Pearl Jam at their pissed off at the world best. I sometimes listen to this record just to hear Ed unleash those blood-curlding screams in Spin the Black Circle and Tremor Christ. If you ever want to blow off steam, you can hardly do better than Last Exit, STBC, Not For You, Tremor Christ. What an opening. Then throw in Whipping. Add in Better Man, Immortality and their unofficial theme song, Corduroy and you have a near perfect snapshot of a band in crisis. The only drawback is too many fillers and silly crap.

5) Ten - The PJ elitist puts 10 at the bottom but really, can you really do that? I hope the remixes sound better. I hate the way this record sounds. We've heard these songs a million times, but Alive still pumps you up. Even Flow still makes you want to pogo. Black still makes you sad. Why Go still makes you pump your fist in the air. Release still puts you in a state of awe when they open with it.

6) Binaural - As above, I hate this sound of this record, even with headphones. I can barely tolerate it. However, that doesn't affect the love I have for most of the songs. When people talk about which songs sound better live than in studio, Binaural is the poster child. Never mind this record, just listen to the 2000 boots to hear the way it was meant to be. That way you can hear Mike kick ass on Breakerfall instead of the aural mess of the record. Also, this is the first record that has a song I can't stand (Evacuation) and the first where I think B sides would have made the album better (Sad).

7) No Code - No Code is a mood record for me. If I am in a good mood, I never play it. If I am sad or something it moves way up. I lost interest in Pearl Jam when this record came out. I thought, well that's it, they will never capture the magic again. 10 years later I figured I was wrong and have grown to like, if not love it. I still think the track-listing is disjointed. It just lacks something. It doesn't flow well and the songs have a distinct lack of hook or in some cases even a chorus. I appreciate it now, but everyone should understand why at the time even big PJ fans gave up on them.

8) Riot Act - I don't want to get into another Riot Act bash, but this album is not very good (to me). The B-sides are better than the album tracks. It doesn't flow well at all. How do you leave off Down? How about Undone? They claim this to be a political statement but leave off two of the most political songs they have? How about Other Side? Give me that over 40 Help Helps, Get Rights, Cropdusters, etc. To may other people contributed lyrics and the songs suffer for it. The best are the ones Ed wrote himself and I think he mailed his vocal performance in. Save You takes on a whole new life live. For the first time, I was really disappointed in Eddie's performance. Outside of Arc, Can't Keep, I Am Mine and All or None, he doesn't really bring anything to the table. There are no "wow" moments. Its also too much of a downer. Not a single uplifting song or a thread of hope on here.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Here's my list, i've always been a fan of later pearl jam.

Yield
    No Code
    Riot Act
    Pearl Jam
    Binaural
    Vitalogy
    VS.
    Ten

The list is always changing depending on what i listen to, but i never really got into the first two albums. And for a while during the 06 tour all i listened to was self-titled and it was my favorite.
  • Flagg wrote:

1) YIELD - This is the album that cemented them as my favorite band and began the obsession. From the opening shot of Brain of J, to the contemplative ending of All Those Yesterdays, to me this is a flawless record. I think it captures their sound and their potential better than any other record. Given to Fly says all you need to know about this great band.

2) Vs. - The first album I can remember where I actually stood in line to buy it on the sale date. Solid follow-up to their breakthrough record, this is PJ at their heaviest but also contains some of thier best ballads (Daughter, Small Town). Go, Animal, Blood and RVM show they can hang with anyone but Indifference sets them apart.

3) Pearl Jam - This record restored my faith in them. That is why I rank it so high. I felt they (especially Ed) had begun to mail it in with Riot Act. I think PJ was a consious step by them to regain their edge and get their message back out. The songs are punchy, melodic and Mike hasn't played leads like this since Vs. More Mike!! And Ed is back with his story-telling method of writing. The entire album (except maybe Big Wave) is tied together with the theme of war, loss, and the anxiousness people felt living in America during the difficult years just after the Iraq war begin. And there is a thread of hope too. I said my list changes, and sometimes this moves to the top.

4) Vitalogy - So many great songs. So much anger. Pearl Jam at their pissed off at the world best. I sometimes listen to this record just to hear Ed unleash those blood-curlding screams in Spin the Black Circle and Tremor Christ. If you ever want to blow off steam, you can hardly do better than Last Exit, STBC, Not For You, Tremor Christ. What an opening. Then throw in Whipping. Add in Better Man, Immortality and their unofficial theme song, Corduroy and you have a near perfect snapshot of a band in crisis. The only drawback is too many fillers and silly crap.

5) Ten - The PJ elitist puts 10 at the bottom but really, can you really do that? I hope the remixes sound better. I hate the way this record sounds. We've heard these songs a million times, but Alive still pumps you up. Even Flow still makes you want to pogo. Black still makes you sad. Why Go still makes you pump your fist in the air. Release still puts you in a state of awe when they open with it.

6) Binaural - As above, I hate this sound of this record, even with headphones. I can barely tolerate it. However, that doesn't affect the love I have for most of the songs. When people talk about which songs sound better live than in studio, Binaural is the poster child. Never mind this record, just listen to the 2000 boots to hear the way it was meant to be. That way you can hear Mike kick ass on Breakerfall instead of the aural mess of the record. Also, this is the first record that has a song I can't stand (Evacuation) and the first where I think B sides would have made the album better (Sad).

7) No Code - No Code is a mood record for me. If I am in a good mood, I never play it. If I am sad or something it moves way up. I lost interest in Pearl Jam when this record came out. I thought, well that's it, they will never capture the magic again. 10 years later I figured I was wrong and have grown to like, if not love it. I still think the track-listing is disjointed. It just lacks something. It doesn't flow well and the songs have a distinct lack of hook or in some cases even a chorus. I appreciate it now, but everyone should understand why at the time even big PJ fans gave up on them.

8) Riot Act - I don't want to get into another Riot Act bash, but this album is not very good (to me). The B-sides are better than the album tracks. It doesn't flow well at all. How do you leave off Down? How about Undone? They claim this to be a political statement but leave off two of the most political songs they have? How about Other Side? Give me that over 40 Help Helps, Get Rights, Cropdusters, etc. To may other people contributed lyrics and the songs suffer for it. The best are the ones Ed wrote himself and I think he mailed his vocal performance in. Save You takes on a whole new life live. For the first time, I was really disappointed in Eddie's performance. Outside of Arc, Can't Keep, I Am Mine and All or None, he doesn't really bring anything to the table. There are no "wow" moments. Its also too much of a downer. Not a single uplifting song or a thread of hope on here.
    flagg???

ya know i love ya my man....
    and you are my favorite person here....

but i think you had WAY TOO MUCH coffee this morning.....hehehehe

DAMN!!!! you put some thought in to that post.....

hehehehehehehehehehehe....................................
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • 1. Vitalogy

2. No Code

3. Ten

4. Yield

5. Binaural

6. VS

7. Riot Act

8. Pearl Jam
  • My list...as it stands at the moment

1. Yield
    2. No Code
    3. Ten
    4. Avocado
    5. VS
    6. Riot Act
    7. Vitalogy
    8. Binaural
    It makes much more sense to live......in the present tense.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Flagg wrote:

flagg???

ya know i love ya my man....
    and you are my favorite person here....

but i think you had WAY TOO MUCH coffee this morning.....hehehehe

DAMN!!!! you put some thought in to that post.....

hehehehehehehehehehehe....................................

hahaha! Thanks man! Two and half cups!

But the weather is great so I am going to go pitch some baseballs to my kid now.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    1. YIELD
    2. BINAURAL
    3. Riot Act
    4. No Code
    5. Vitalogy
    6. vs
    7. ten
    8. avocado
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    edited February 2009
    1. Pearl Jam
    This is basically the album that got me excited for PJ. My friend told me they were touring and asked if I wanted to see them and I told him hell yea. So after we scored tix, I quickly bought every PJ album from No Code on so I could be familiar with every PJ song before the show. The last one I bought was this one because I was waiting anxiously for it to come out. I loved it at first and now I love it even more. Even though basically every PJ album (except ten-vitalogy) was new to me at the time, I was more excited for Avo just because it was their brand new album. I also just flat out love the album, I dont understand the hate what-so-ever. Its in your face, and has great solos. Life Wasted is probably in my top 5 PJ songs. The only thing I dont like about it is it's production. It sounds great, until you blast it. That album was basically my high school album, and everyone always commented on my Avocado tour shirt, and people still do. If I had an emblem for myself, it would be that avocado....hahahaha

2. Yield
    When all of the PJ albums were new to me at the time, this was actually my least favorite of them. It now completely grew on me and I understand why everyone loves it. The production is flat out INCREDIBLE. Its so "airy and natural" I can't really explain it. In Hiding is the most uplifting song EVER.

3. No Code
    Use to be my favorite, but Off He Goes and Around the Bend are a little to soft to make me like it better than the other two. Regardles though, its completely unique and I love the theme. Its basically a standard for PJ fans.

4. VS
    Whats not to like about it? Its completely in your face and you can blast the mother fucking hell out of it. Glorified G remains my top 5 PJ songs.

5. Ten
    It's TEN, there is nothing left positive to say aobut this album. Its all been said before.

6. Vitalogy
    there is just SOMETHING aobut this album that doesn't do it for me. I really have no clue. Maybe the production, maybe the fillers, I dunno. Betterman is also my least favorite PJ song, only one im sick of hearing. But then again, it still has Last Exit, NFY, Immortality, and Satans Bed.

7. Binaural
    Very close between this and riot act. I would have to say Breakerfall, Grievance, Insignificance, and Sleight Of Hand save it. I still love it though, not a song on it that I dont like.

8. Riot Act
    It has a few great songs. I actually think Save You is one of their best heavy songs, I like it more than DTE. But there is too mcuh on it that isn't amazing. One thing is that it has both Matts best and worst songs. You Are is amazing, Get Right is BLAH. My fav's are Save You, I Am Mine, (easily eds best lyrics) Half Full, and All or None. Anyone who doesn't like All or None is a fool.
    Post edited by 12345AGNST1 on
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    edited February 2009
    1. No Code
    2. Yield
    3. Riot Act
    4. Binaural
    5. Vitalogy
    6. Vs.
    7. Pearl Jam
    8. Ten
    Post edited by LukinFan on
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    LukinFan wrote:
    1. Pearl Jam
    2. Yield
    3. No Code
    4. VS
    5. Ten
    6. Vitalogy
    7. Binaural
    8. Riot Act

...............................?
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    LukinFan wrote:
    1. Pearl Jam
    2. Yield
    3. No Code
    4. VS
    5. Ten
    6. Vitalogy
    7. Binaural
    8. Riot Act

...............................?
    haha- sorry, I fucked up
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    1. Vs.- Of course, Ten hooked me in, but this is blow-for-blow the best album by far for me. I have this very distinct memory of listening to it in woodshop in jr. high school. It's so evocative of that point in my life, which may or may not be a good thing.

2. Riot Act. Seriously. I don't love the production, but it's hard for me to find a song I don't love unequivocally. I don't need to hear Bu$hleager that often I guess.

3. Vitalogy. I few missteps - I don't like any of the "experimental" nonsense. But Immortality alone puts this up there.

4. Ten. Still a classic, even if I don't listen it to it much on its own anymore. Not one shit song.

5. Yield. There are a few songs that annoy the shit out of me, especially Wishlist. I really like most of the songs, but only love a few. like In Hiding.

6. Pearl Jam. Flat out rocks. Get rid of the two ballads and I'm good.

7. No Code. Again, an album I like most of the way through, but not as much that stands out.

8. Binaural. Mostly because of the production and a few forgettable songs. Most of this album rocks out live.
  • For the first time in quite awhile there have been some significant changes in the order of my list. The one constant? Binaural, destined to hang at the bottom every time. :|

Ten
    I run to this record A LOT. It defines so many things for me. The "Once/Even Flow/Alive/Why Go/Black/Jeremy" cycle of songs just blows me away every time, while Oceans, Porch, Garden, Deep and Release comprise an almost theatrical suite of songs. The M/S intro-outro! Maybe seeing the band move from MB to PJ adds an extra special vibe to it. I dunno, but damn the stigma, I love Ten! :shock:

Vs
    I was actually kind of put off by this record when it first came out. I have no idea why; probably because I was such a Ten whore. That lasted about a week. There's not one wrong move on Vs., as far as I'm concerned.

Vitalogy
    These first three running in chronological order on my list is purely coincidental. Vitalogy traditionally runs lower with me regardless of the pure billiance of most of the songs. It might be the experimental tracks that put me off a bit, but by the same token it wouldn't be the same without them. And, Immortality rules!

Riot Act
    Ah, bring on the un-loved, red-headed bastard step-child. I do have a thing for this record that most people don't get, and in the past I've considered this my favorite PJ album, tied with Ten. Tracks 1-10 just work for me. 11-15 are an ok dessert after a great dinner.

No Code
    My "PJ mood" record. I really listen to this a lot in the spring, and I like to pick and choose songs on vinyl randomly; it's just a thing with me. No Code spent a good long while being my favorite album amongst any and all of my favorite bands.

Yield
    While a great album, there is something unlike PJ about it to me. I've never been able to put my finger on it and it sort of sets me off alone from most of the bands fans.

Pearl Jam
    Honestly, I think their next release will cement how I feel about "the avocado."

Binaural
    I've never tried harder to love a record. I remember hearing the beginning of Breakerfall and thinking "whoa, I'm gonna love this record!" I didn't. I remember hunting down the vinyl, because then I'll love this record. I didn't. That being said, Breakerfall, God's Dice and Evacuation are a good "garage band" sounding trio and Thin Air has one of my favorite EV vocals of all time in it.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    1. Yield
    2. Ten
    3. No Code
    4. Vitalogy
    5. Vs
    6. Avocado
    7. Riot Act
    8. Binaural
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • PHATJPHATJ Posts: 348
    I love this thread! Love the reviews and stories behind the choices. Keep 'em coming!