10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,996
    someone's being an affectionate little kitty
    May be an image of cat

Aww. Looks like she is getting used to her new home. How are the two getting along now?

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    GlowGirl said:
    May be an image of cat

Aww. Looks like she is getting used to her new home. How are the two getting along now?

“Getting used to”? Ha! Her expression screams queen of the castle 😂
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,983
    GlowGirl said:
    May be an image of cat

they tolerate each other I suppose. She still hisses/growls at Kyra if she gets near her. They don't fight, but Kyra chases her sometimes.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options

Got a free sample of cat food made from insects. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,532
    GlowGirl said:
    May be an image of cat

they tolerate each other I suppose. She still hisses/growls at Kyra if she gets near her. They don't fight, but Kyra chases her sometimes.

Did you ease them into co-habitation, or dive in head first? 

We're considering getting another, but Chains is such a baby in so many ways; we want to make sure she's comfortable.

As much as we want another both for her and us, we also don't want her to be miserable or feel threatened by a new / strange cat. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    GlowGirl said:
    May be an image of cat

We're considering getting another, but Chains is such a baby in so many ways; we want to make sure she's comfortable.

As much as we want another both for her and us, we also don't want her to be miserable or feel threatened by a new / strange cat. 

I tried to ease them in but it's kinda hard when you live in a small one bedroom apartment. I put the "newer" cat, Kia, in the bathroom but within a few hours Kyra saw her.  They hissed at each other. Luckily they haven't really tried to kill each other. I did try to separate them the first few days by putting them in different rooms. I think there has only been one really bad fight and that was early on.

Good luck if you decide to get another one. :smile:

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    May be an image of cat

I tried to ease them in but it's kinda hard when you live in a small one bedroom apartment. I put the "newer" cat, Kia, in the bathroom but within a few hours Kyra saw her.  They hissed at each other. Luckily they haven't really tried to kill each other. I did try to separate them the first few days by putting them in different rooms. I think there has only been one really bad fight and that was early on.

Good luck if you decide to get another one. :smile:

Thanks... space is one of our biggest issues too... we do have a spare bedroom, but our place is still only about 1100 sq feet. It would be hard to keep them separate for very long. Feeding is also an issue, Chains grazes. We have no idea how much she's eating, we let her nibble throughout the day, Her weight & mood are pretty consistent, so I just don't worry about it. When we had Alice though, she was a little piggy, and we had to separate them for wet food because Alice would try to eat all of it. Now that she's gone and we're more casual about the meals, that's been pretty nice - I don't necessarily want to change that.

Those are good reasons NOT to get another cat, but we do think Chains is missing out on a lot, they used to play / wrestle / snuggle on a pretty regular basis. Whether or not that would happen w/ a new cat is unknown of course, but part of me wants to try. 

Also, we went away for 10 days about a month ago, it was our first big trip since we put Alice down. As far as we know, Alice was in her life since day one, she was never really alone. She's still a little mopey / pissy with us for having gone away last month. 

Stupid little moody animals... 

• Options
    I would love 1,100! We’re in about 700. WITHT two cats!

Have you considered fostering so Chains can dip her paw in the water?
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    hedonist said:

@Merkin Baller A dear friend of mine in Western Mass runs a cat foster shelter out of her home basically. If fostering appeals to you and yours, I'd be happy to make a connection.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Great suggestion, and being the dummy that I am, I never considered it. 

Our neighbor across the street works at the MSPCA and fosters pretty regularly herself. She's been a great resource for us in these matters, and if we were to try the foster route would probably line something up through / with her. 

She's pretty fond of our Chains, and we trust her judgment on most things animal related. I would want / ask for her input on a cat for us to bring home, only because she knows our situation and cat as well as she does. (or, our cat's temperament, to be specific) 

I lightly broached the subject, before our vacation, and she was definitely advising we take our time with that process. 

Hedo, when you brought Flea into the house, was it all in, or did you try to keep them separated / ease them into it? 
  • Options
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

@Merkin Baller A dear friend of mine in Western Mass runs a cat foster shelter out of her home basically. If fostering appeals to you and yours, I'd be happy to make a connection.
    Appreciate the offer, Dan. 
  • Options
    Great suggestion, and being the dummy that I am, I never considered it. 

Our neighbor across the street works at the MSPCA and fosters pretty regularly herself. She's been a great resource for us in these matters, and if we were to try the foster route would probably line something up through / with her. 

She's pretty fond of our Chains, and we trust her judgment on most things animal related. I would want / ask for her input on a cat for us to bring home, only because she knows our situation and cat as well as she does. (or, our cat's temperament, to be specific) 

I lightly broached the subject, before our vacation, and she was definitely advising we take our time with that process. 

Hedo, when you brought Flea into the house, was it all in, or did you try to keep them separated / ease them into it? 
    Merk, we just set the carryon down, Georgie sniffed, she did too, then it took a little bit of time — maybe a week — till we felt we could leave them alone with each other…not that we really did due to Covid, but I think miffed George took a couple weeks to become not-so-miffed. Some swatting, no fighting.

Hopefully others here will chime in. I know GG went through it and I believe several others others too. 
  • Options
    Yes. I did go through it. When I brought Daisy home I just let her out of the carrier. My apartment is not conducive to a slow intro. Tristan was fine the first day. Then he got a bit stressed for a week or so. He hissed but did not try to fight her but he puked a few times - which is unlike him. After the first week he was fine but cautious. Then by week 3 they were cuddling together. Daisy was fine the whole time. She didn’t hide or anything. She just wanted to make friends with him. 

• Options

Got a free sample of cat food made from insects. 
    She eats the food. A bit surprised, she usually just want food made by fish and shrimps etc. I mixed it out with her current food.

So a tip to all of you, to move over to food from insects. Better for the planet. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    I guess there really isn't much difference between a box and a sink.

• Options
    eddiec said:
    I guess there really isn't much difference between a box and a sink.

Too cute.

SC, finding that is more difficult here, and I’m neither inclined nor able to search it out.

Plus, our cats are finicky little shits. 
  • Options
    Portrait mode is turning out to be a lot of fun. 

• Options
    The lighting on the first one — magnificent!

I wonder if my phone has that feature…
  • Options
    Portrait mode is turning out to be a lot of fun. 

Gorgeous. I miss my kitties. I have been in Canada all week. Home Friday. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Post edited by eeriepadave on
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503
    It’s been a tough year.  We lost Sam (tuxedo) earlier this year and had to say goodbye to Lulu today (gray).  I miss them both.

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    It’s been a tough year.  We lost Sam (tuxedo) earlier this year and had to say goodbye to Lulu today (gray).  I miss them both.

I am so sorry. I know how hard this is. Most of us on here have been there. So we know how you feel. We are here for you. 
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503
    GlowGirl said:

I am so sorry. I know how hard this is. Most of us on here have been there. So we know how you feel. We are here for you. 
    Thank you.  That means a lot to me.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options

I’m so sorry KC… I would be lying if I said I was over putting one of mine down in May…. Had a dream about her last night.  :s

I can’t imagine having lost two in such a short time. I’m so sorry. Be good to yourselves in the coming weeks. 
  • Options
    I’m so sorry. As GG said, many of us have been there and know that pain. Good thoughts to you. 
  • Options

Getting all snuggly on a rainy morning. 
  • Options

oh no that sucks. sorry man :disappointed:

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD