***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    Or pinch hitting. At least he's a lefty pinch hitter who has the possibility of getting the ball to the outfield.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Or pinch hitting. At least he's a lefty pinch hitter who has the possibility of getting the ball to the outfield.

haha, you beat me to it.

I'm against byes in the playoffs. too big of an advantage in baseball. all playoff series should be 7 games...agree with that. the 5th playoff team is completely unnecessary IMO

Halladay should have started last night. series would be over. manuel has gotten schooled in this series
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    The Fixer wrote:

awful, just plain awful. I'm sick of people defeding this overrated piece of garbage. he fucking stinks
    how do you really feel?

do you at least like his subway commercials? ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    imalive wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

awful, just plain awful. I'm sick of people defeding this overrated piece of garbage. he fucking stinks
    how do you really feel?

do you at least like his subway commercials? ;)

Fixer, couldn't say it better myself. That $125 M is going to bite them in the ass hard.

Anyway....these 8 guys who have no idea how to work a pitcher need to get those bats working by tomorrow night!

Doc, we need you...it's why you're here.

Those Subway ads stink too.

6 - 1 Phils !!
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/ ... gone-cold/

Especially Ryan Howard who went down on strikes three times, the tenth time he has done so in the playoffs. Howard has the highest strikeout rate in postseason history.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/06/the-phillies-bats-have-gone-cold/

Especially Ryan Howard who went down on strikes three times, the tenth time he has done so in the playoffs. Howard has the highest strikeout rate in postseason history.

'Just let me walk back to the dugout with my head down boys'
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

that was kind of lame tho no? ... i mean sliders are generally designed to break outside the strike zone ... otherwise they would get hit ...

either way - they will get a solid start from halladay ... if they can put 3 runs up early ... that'll allow him to go the distance and they won't have to pinch hit for him ...
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

'Just let me walk back to the dugout with my head down boys'

And with all those RBI he's getting with dudes on base too! Not like Jimmy and Chase are hitting like a combined .550
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    and ryan is tied for 2nd in playoff RBIs as of 5th inning of the Arizona game. not that rbi's mean anything

how can you defend him at this point? seriously, how????

he has been absolutely horrendous. 'just get me to the plate'...larussa is intentionally walking guys to get to him because he knows he blows. and it's not like pence has been on fire. that should tell you all you need to know.

well he is personally responsible for 1 of the 2 wins we have so far.

and why do you guys not say anything about the 4 aces? our starting rotation have given up 13 runs in 26 innings for an era of 4.50 and only one of the 4 has gotten through 6 innings. that boys is not good enough for the supposed greatest rotation in history.
    pjhawks wrote:

and why do you guys not say anything about the 4 aces? our starting rotation have given up 13 runs in 26 innings for an era of 4.50 and only one of the 4 has gotten through 6 innings. that boys is not good enough for the supposed greatest rotation in history.

thing is ... you're also in the NL ... your starters not going beyond 6 is a function of the game ... hamels could have pitched into the 8th but you guys pinch-hit and obviously, rightly so ... but it wasn't because he was out of gas ...
  • As Fixer said, there's no rational way to defend Howard's performance so far in this series. Hopefully he makes up for it tomorrow. He hasn't been the only terrible hitter in this lineup though. Pretty much 4-8 have all blown.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • polaris_x wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

thing is ... you're also in the NL ... your starters not going beyond 6 is a function of the game ... hamels could have pitched into the 8th but you guys pinch-hit and obviously, rightly so ... but it wasn't because he was out of gas ...

He had 117 pitches thru 6 innings. I would've taken him out anyway. He never really had that much gas to start with in that game. He just gutted through it, which I found all the more impressive. I say it's the best game I've ever seen him pitch.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    He had 117 pitches thru 6 innings. I would've taken him out anyway. He never really had that much gas to start with in that game. He just gutted through it, which I found all the more impressive. I say it's the best game I've ever seen him pitch.

i didn't know his pitch count was that high ... he only given up like 5 or 6 hits and no runs up until then ...

i don't think you can necessarily blame the SPs ... it's definitely the hitting ... also, the strikeout/throw out was a huge rally killer yesterday ... also getting thrown out at 3rd ... obviously, it's not just howard but he is in the 4 hole for a reason ... and he isn't producing ...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,530
    wow....series is tied guys. a win tomorrow and we're in the nlcs. and, again, we've got the best pitcher in the universe going for us.

sometimes i think if the phillies took 7 games to win the world series people in this town would complain that it took too long.
    www.myspace.com
    wow....series is tied guys. a win tomorrow and we're in the nlcs. and, again, we've got the best pitcher in the universe going for us.
    cardinals are trying to swing a deal for cody ross ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    polaris_x wrote:

i didn't know his pitch count was that high ... he only given up like 5 or 6 hits and no runs up until then ...

i don't think you can necessarily blame the SPs ... it's definitely the hitting ... also, the strikeout/throw out was a huge rally killer yesterday ... also getting thrown out at 3rd ... obviously, it's not just howard but he is in the 4 hole for a reason ... and he isn't producing ...

so you think a 4.50 era from the best rotation in the history of baseball is ok? and you do realize that in games 2-4 our starters have thrown only 2 or 3 1-2-3 innings? hamels had none and oswalt had only 1 can't fully remember lee's start. and fucking schumacher and theriot are a combined 11-17 in the past 3 games.

offense hasn't been great ill grant you, but we are what we are offensively. our starting pitching has been too far from the norm. if you want to talk about deviating from the norm it's been the starting pitching much more of a deviation so far than the offense.
    pjhawks wrote:
    so you think a 4.50 era from the best rotation in the history of baseball is ok? and you do realize that in games 2-4 our starters have thrown only 2 or 3 1-2-3 innings? hamels had none and oswalt had only 1 can't fully remember lee's start. and fucking schumacher and theriot are a combined 11-17 in the past 3 games.

offense hasn't been great ill grant you, but we are what we are offensively. our starting pitching has been too far from the norm. if you want to talk about deviating from the norm it's been the starting pitching much more of a deviation so far than the offense.

it depends on how you look at it ... you can say 2 of your 4 sp's have an era of 1.92 and two have an era of 7.50 ... Lee didn't get the job done and oswalt gave up 5 runs on 6 hits ... i mean - cards capitalized when they got the chance ... he didn't pitch horribly ...

you still gotta score runs and do the right things like not giving a home team momentum when you've already taken it away ...
  • This article makes a pretty good case that Cliff Lee was simply unlucky in Game 2.

http://crashburnalley.com/2011/10/04/cliff-lee-and-babip/

Not that it makes any of us feel any better.

• RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    To an extent I get SABRMetrics, but isn't it funny that every time there's a flaw in a stat it seems to get blamed on "sample size"? I guess I will be biased because I'm a qualitative academic, but numbers work in the broad sense but don't we live in small sample sizes?
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    RW81233 wrote:
    To an extent I get SABRMetrics, but isn't it funny that every time there's a flaw in a stat it seems to get blamed on "sample size"? I guess I will be biased because I'm a qualitative academic, but numbers work in the broad sense but don't we live in small sample sizes?
    You're gonna piss the fixer and Pam off!!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The Cards have just as a good a chance as winning this as the Phils do. I just have such a bad feeling.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Cards have just as a good a chance as winning this as the Phils do. I just have such a bad feeling.
    No they don't we have Doc going they don't.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The Cards have just as a good a chance as winning this as the Phils do. I just have such a bad feeling.

I know, I know, I know. But they gotta hit!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,530
    The Cards have just as a good a chance as winning this as the Phils do. I just have such a bad feeling.

2 or 3 runs will win this game on friday. doc's been waiting his whole life for this (and the next 2 rounds obviously. this is why he's here.

3-1 phils.

gonna go buy tix now.
    www.myspace.com

2 or 3 runs will win this game on friday. doc's been waiting his whole life for this (and the next 2 rounds obviously. this is why he's here.

3-1 phils.

gonna go buy tix now.

I'm not trying to be a dick, and I hope I'm wrong, but I had the feeling that they HAD to win game 4. Just don't feel good about it. They need at least 4, 5, runs to win this.

Jeags, if you're going, make sure that crowd isn't massaging their vag's.
    As Fixer said, there's no rational way to defend Howard's performance so far in this series. Hopefully he makes up for it tomorrow. He hasn't been the only terrible hitter in this lineup though. Pretty much 4-8 have all blown.

this is true. the difference is that the 5-8 hitters aren't making $25 million a year.

My point is that howard is supposed to be one of this team's best players (or the best based on his salary). One could argue that he's their 5th best position player (which is where I would rate him).

the guy better do something positive tomorrrow night. like get a hit for a change

sometimes i think if the phillies took 7 games to win the world series people in this town would complain that it took too long.

yeah, we all expected them to be in a do or die game against the fucking shitbox cardinals in round 1. what is everyone freaking out about? :roll:
    pjhawks wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

oswalt isn't an ace. not even close. you can't include him with the other 3. I just wish the manager would have realized this.
    The Fixer wrote:

oswalt isn't an ace. not even close. you can't include him with the other 3. I just wish the manager would have realized this.
    he's an ex-ace. father time is a motherfucker.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    and, again, we've got the best pitcher in the universe going for us.

When did you guys acquire Verlander? :D
This discussion has been closed.