***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Obviously, that is all I have heard for the past few days
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Obviously, that is all I have heard for the past few days

most people don't necessarily hate the yankees, they hate their uppity fans. so when they act fraudulent, it's open season. like it or not. it is all for charity though. relax.
    www.myspace.com
    Congrats dude, that's great. I just dont get how you guys can talk shit about anyone else when no one was showing up 3 years ago.

How can I not take it? Didn't I say this morning that I had a problem with what happened last night at Yankee stadium?
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    The Bank has been making a shit load of money since it opened. It's not like it's been baron in the least bit. Either way, I could care less if it was empty. More seats for me.

And I love talking shit. I don't think anyone here can do it better than me, actually.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Congrats dude, that's great. I just dont get how you guys can talk shit about anyone else when no one was showing up 3 years ago.

How can I not take it? Didn't I say this morning that I had a problem with what happened last night at Yankee stadium?

good lord. :roll:

you mean 3 years ago when the bank was on average about 86% filled to capacity? riiiiight.

go look up yankee stadium's attendance figures before this run started 15 years ago on your computer tomorrow. i'll save you the trip--its mostly 25k and under. these phillies are your yankees circa 1997.

GO.
    PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
    No doubt it has made money, a shit load. all new stadiums do and the phillies have done very well. No arguing that.

Philly is a good ball busting city, gotta be on your game
    That is why I said I will look at total attendance since 1990. That is the past 20 years and includes before the Yankees run
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    That is why I said I will look at total attendance since 1990. That is the past 20 years and includes before the Yankees run

i'm looking at it right now. it's not a fair comparison since your run started about 12 years before ours. both teams attendance figures spiked up when the teams started winning. that is why your argument does not hold any water. i remember going back and forth with some fraud dodger fan about this same thing last year. that dude then proceeded to fall off the face of the earth.

back in 96-00 when the yankees started winning world series' every other year there were 15,000 - 20,000 empty seats every night (with about 3x as many people in the ny area as compared to here) at yankee stadium. the bank, at comparable time in both franchise's history, is filled to capacity night in night out. admittedly a newer ballpark plays into that a bit/but the much higher population in ny evens it out. still disproves your point.

either way...the point this week is fans giving up on their team by leaving a playoff game early, not that they didn't show up. that does not tend to happen here.
    www.myspace.com
    Actually I'm looking at it now, and it's nothing too great to make some incredible deviations. It's actually surprising that from 95 to 99 when they were in the heart of that run that they broke 3 mil once. And that in a stadium that holds over 50g's didn't break 4 mil until '05.

What's this all mean kiddo's? Nothing. When you win, more people than usual show up. Done and done.
    Johnny and I began to have this discussion a couple days ago. I believe the Yankees didn't hit 3 mil until 97 or 98. What really suprised me is how Baltimore was leading the league every year then. I can't really offer a valid response on my phone but if it all it includes is winnig years there isn't any period you can really compare the yankees attendance to the phillies, that's why I figured we look at the past 20 years when barball has peaked in terms of attendace overall.

Listen, I am not trying to get into a pissing match about what team has a better fan base. I just don't think you guys have any room to call out other fans.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Johnny and I began to have this discussion a couple days ago. I believe the Yankees didn't hit 3 mil until 97 or 98. What really suprised me is how Baltimore was leading the league every year then. I can't really offer a valid response on my phone but if it all it includes is winnig years there isn't any period you can really compare the yankees attendance to the phillies, that's why I figured we look at the past 20 years when barball has peaked in terms of attendace overall.

Listen, I am not trying to get into a pissing match about what team has a better fan base. I just don't think you guys have any room to call out other fans.

Actually I think the Phils' numbers from 90-prestrike are better, which outside of '93, is kind of surprising. Cliff, you actually have motivated me to do something I'm going to do for my stats class - correlation of payroll to attendance along with win percentage. Boom.

And we don't have room to call anyone out? I really don't think that matters - we're going to do so anyway. Plus, it's not about Phillies fans. It's about Philly fans. We know when you blow and we know when you're actually trying to get better. If you're not going to commit to us, then we're not going to commit to you. I think that goes for any big city, or any smart person who doesn't want to spend their money like a dumbass on an inferior product.

All I know is this organization played the "we're a small market team" forever, and now they don't have that excuse, so it's exciting to know where this is all going to lead down the road.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Now it's empty. Tommorrow when I am at my computer I will post the total attendance of the 2 teams since 1990. How do you think that will turn out?

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2010/10/ne ... s-too.html
    gotta love those classy yankee fans :roll: :roll: :roll:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

Alright, this is a lot to respond to on my phone. I think that would be a good exercise and I am interested to see these numbers tomorrow.

I do disagree with that concept a bit but I am also a whole lot less of a giants/knicks/ rangers fan than I am of the Yankees. I grew up in a house that was Yankees fans then Penn state and the giants and that is kind of how i see myself today. If the Yankees go down the drain they will still be more important to me than the giants but this obvuously not the norm in America with the popularity of the NFL.
    edited October 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Alright, this is a lot to respond to on my phone. I think that would be a good exercise and I am interested to see these numbers tomorrow.

I do disagree with that concept a bit but I am also a whole lot less of a giants/knicks/ rangers fan than I am of the Yankees. I grew up in a house that was Yankees fans then Penn state and the giants and that is kind of how i see myself today. If the Yankees go down the drain they will still be more important to me than the giants but this obvuously not the norm in America with the popularity of the NFL.

Well, I'm just telling you how this city as a whole has always been - they get behind who ever represents this city. There was a time when the Sixers, Flyers, and of course Eagles, ran this town. It's not like Phillies fans are just Phillies fans, and so on and so forth. If that's what people want to think is a bandwagon city, blah blah blah, then they have no idea what that term means.

Oh, and why in the hell are you a PSU fan? I absolutely hate when people around here adopt PSU as "their" team because they think they're a "local" team.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
    Since I clearly can't type anymore i am going to call it a night and save myself further embarrassment. I am interested to look at some of these figures tomorrow.!

As i mentioned, i mean no disrespect to you guys in here, for the most part you have good fans in here. This whole "'our fan base is better than yours" argument just gets on my nerves, especially when it comes to the yanks.
    Peace. And you first posted a page again, so tomorrow look at what I wrote.
    My moms entire family went to penn state. Grandfather who just turned 99 missed.his first game in over 20 years this year because of his health. He has been going to almost every game since world war 2. We have had 8 season tickets in my family for my entire life
    Peace. And you first posted a page again, so tomorrow look at what I wrote.

Will do, hate that shit, responded about psu
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    My moms entire family went to penn state. Grandfather who just turned 99 missed.his first game in over 20 years this year because of his health. He has been going to almost every game since world war 2. We have had 8 season tickets in my family for my entire life

Well that makes enough sense. Loved hanging out up there and going to games. I just hope they lose indefinitely.
  • Oh boy - the Phils vs. Yanks debate picked back up. My only point was that Yanks fans aren't anything special. They don't have any special intelligence or support or anything. I never said Phils fans were all that great - especially when I see a good number of people leaving in the 8th inning with a 5 run lead in a playoff game. I do know which city mocked EVA into a terrible World Series performance. Didn't hear that chant at any Red Sox or Yankees games.

Anyway, back to baseball. Ibanez has to be benched tonight. He looks like an old Yankee. :lol:

Agree with 3 pages ago - starting Blanton is the right move. Otherwise it'd be panic city. Even if we lose tonight it's not over by any stretch.

Utley's error was annoying, but you can't beat anyone without scoring any runs. It's hard to watch a game like that and avoid cursing around your baby. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Actually I'm looking at it now, and it's nothing too great to make some incredible deviations. It's actually surprising that from 95 to 99 when they were in the heart of that run that they broke 3 mil once. And that in a stadium that holds over 50g's didn't break 4 mil until '05.

What's this all mean kiddo's? Nothing. When you win, more people than usual show up. Done and done.

and this is exactly my point. every city has a core group of fans that will show up and watch win or lose (i suspect most of us belong to that group) and a large contingent filled with civic pride who hop along for the ride when times are really really good :) . it is no different here than in any other city. the "bandwagon" thing that cliffy mentioned happened here and in new york and every other city when a team starts winning.

kinda a big game today boys :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    I have a good feeling about JB tonight. I think the bulldog comes out and he pitches well. Challenge these hitters all day. Our offense brings it again to. Woudn't mind seeing Francisco for Ibanez tonight. Against a lefty we need Victorino and Werth and I think they produce tonight. Win tonight and we are in good shape because i absolutely love Halladay tomorrow. Come on boys.
  • pjhawks wrote:
    IWoudn't mind seeing Francisco for Ibanez tonight.

I hope so too. Wouldn't be surprised because the Giants are starting a lefty and Ibanez is really sucking it up.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks wrote:
    Utley is killing us defensively for the 2nd straight year in the playoffs - the Fixer's silence about it says a lot about him. imagine if it was the 1st baseman on this team being an abomination defensively 2 years in a row - to bad it wasn't a stray dog, he'd probably caught it then (i kid i kid). and how the F is that not scored an error, ridiculous. Chase needs to hit to make up for his defense.

anyway agree with the sentiment most have on hear that starting Blanton in game 4 is the right move. win and we are in good shape. we've scored lots of runs for Blanton as well. win with Blanton and this team will have to beat our top 3 starters 4 times in 6 games, ain't happening. we are the better team, just need to hit better. Even down 3-1 we are not done with our starters.

been on vacation for a week dude, haven't been around. nice to see you're still acting like a 10 year old though
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Wasn't utley the only phillie to show up in the world series last year?

seriously...but I refuse to argue with fans that have special needs
    Oh, and why in the hell are you a PSU fan? I absolutely hate when people around here adopt PSU as "their" team because they think they're a "local" team.

I completely agree with this. I refuse to get into this stuff again though, you guys know where I stand on rooting for schools you didn't attend.

I will be out at PSU next weekend for the michigan game. We don't have tickets for the game yet. I refused to buy them until I know that the phils are eliminated (they would play at the same time PSU does that night). If they find a way to beat the giants I will be at the G-Man drinking pitchers of booze and watching the phils. I love going out to PSU, but the only way I root for the football team is if I bet on them.

PSU isn't local...it's closer to pittsburgh than philly
    The Fixer wrote:

I completely agree with this. I refuse to get into this stuff again though, you guys know where I stand on rooting for schools you didn't attend.

I will be out at PSU next weekend for the michigan game. We don't have tickets for the game yet. I refused to buy them until I know that the phils are eliminated (they would play at the same time PSU does that night). If they find a way to beat the giants I will be at the G-Man drinking pitchers of booze and watching the phils. I love going out to PSU, but the only way I root for the football team is if I bet on them.

PSU isn't local...it's closer to pittsburgh than philly

it is the pennsylvania state university you dopes! pennsylvania's a big state :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

I hope so too. Wouldn't be surprised because the Giants are starting a lefty and Ibanez is really sucking it up.

this should have happened in game 2. it better fucking happen tonight. I'm still pissed at that crusty bastard for dropping the ball in game 1, let alone going 0 for the series. his bat looks like it weighs 50 oz right now. sit his ass down.

starting blanton is absolutely the correct move. there is no other option. tonight isn't a must win. they can still beat SF even if they lose tonight. That said, a win tonight would be damn nice.

The phils offense has been overrated all year. The SF pitching is a bad matchup for this team and they NEVER play well at AT&T park. They can still beat the giants, but they need to get their shit together ASAP.

This series has been a perfect example of why I refused to automatcially put this team in the WS. Historically Philly teams suck ass as favorites. What was the stat I posted a while back...no 1 seed in the NL has gone to the WS since the Braves in '95? something like that.

gotta admit that my 4 year undefeated streak of betting on the phils in sept/oct came to an end last night. It was up to something insane like 49-0. I thought the phils would hit cain. oh well, I'm back on them again tonight at only -105.

fucking win tonight

also, if you get a chance to go to st marten, do it. great place.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

this should have happened in game 2. it better fucking happen tonight. I'm still pissed at that crusty bastard for dropping the ball in game 1, let alone going 0 for the series. his bat looks like it weighs 50 oz right now. sit his ass down.

starting blanton is absolutely the correct move. there is no other option. tonight isn't a must win. they can still beat SF even if they lose tonight. That said, a win tonight would be damn nice.

The phils offense has been overrated all year. The SF pitching is a bad matchup for this team and they NEVER play well at AT&T park. They can still beat the giants, but they need to get their shit together ASAP.

This series has been a perfect example of why I refused to automatcially put this team in the WS. Historically Philly teams suck ass as favorites. What was the stat I posted a while back...no 1 seed in the NL has gone to the WS since the Braves in '95? something like that.

gotta admit that my 4 year undefeated streak of betting on the phils in sept/oct came to an end last night. It was up to something insane like 49-0. I thought the phils would hit cain. oh well, I'm back on them again tonight at only -105.

fucking win tonight

also, if you get a chance to go to st marten, do it. great place.

If anything we have learned about Uncle Cholly he can be loyal to a fault

I'd be shocked if he sits Raul......I think he should sit him but I doubt he will
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    If anything we have learned about Uncle Cholly he can be loyal to a fault

I'd be shocked if he sits Raul......I think he should sit him but I doubt he will

I'm not a manuel fan because of shit like this. If he wants to break up the lefties he should be hitting werth 4 and howard 5. polanco is a waste in the 3 hole
This discussion has been closed.