Options

((( The Stop Smoking Cigarettes Thread)))

Comments

• Options
    kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    The one for me is the first of the day? As soon as I leave the house! How about you guys?

What is a good strategy to get over that one!

The first one of the day, no doubt.

I am guessing that I will no longer be partaking of the beverages. There is NO way I could get through a night of drinking without smoking. Ugh. ARGHHH!!!!
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • Options
    PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    The toughest ones for me when I quit were the cigarettes I had on my commute on the way into work. I would always light up at certain landmarks on my way in. Usually had 3 smokes on the way in.

To get over it, I stopped listening to music on my way in and switched to talk radio. It actually worked for some reason. And now I am able to listen to music again with no temptation. Don't know if it makes any sense but it worked for me.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • Options
    KosmicJelliKosmicJelli Posts: 1,855
    The first one of the day is the worst! We all agree on that for sure....

How about first being real positive and telling oneself that you can make it through the craving of first smoke of the day? Give oneself a small reward for making it through the craving just for the first few days... If by smoking you are rewarded physically with the nicotine find the alternative reward.

Pavlov here I come arf...arf...
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736

How about first being real positive and telling oneself that you can make it through the craving of first smoke of the day? Give oneself a small reward for making it through the craving just for the first few days... If by smoking you are rewarded physically with the nicotine find the alternative reward.

Thats a good suggestion! :)
    Dont get DEPORTED during this process okay?
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    Thats a good suggestion! :)
    Dont get DEPORTED during this process okay?

LMFAO!!! :P
  • Options

I think I will give myself 4 bucks a day maybe in quarters... the cost of a pack of smokes here. Everytime I get the craving place a quarter in the jar to let me know what I am saving and proof that I am getting through the cravings... money is a great motivator
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    PJSerf wrote:
    The toughest ones for me when I quit were the cigarettes I had on my commute on the way into work. I would always light up at certain landmarks on my way in. Usually had 3 smokes on the way in.

To get over it, I stopped listening to music on my way in and switched to talk radio. It actually worked for some reason. And now I am able to listen to music again with no temptation. Don't know if it makes any sense but it worked for me.
    Def makes sense. Other senses play big time in it for me.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    I think I will give myself 4 bucks a day maybe in quarters... the cost of a pack of smokes here. Everytime I get the craving place a quarter in the jar to let me know what I am saving and proof that I am getting through the cravings... money is a great motivator

Don't do it in quarters, just put the cash money into the jar. I think after seeing it for a few weeks and then counting up that extra $100 that you have would make a huge difference.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    Don't do it in quarters, just put the cash money into the jar. I think after seeing it for a few weeks and then counting up that extra $100 that you have would make a huge difference.

I am with you. Living in NY it is up to $10 a pack. I can go to Hawaii if I don't smoke for a year.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options

You could spend it on cool Pearl Jam stuff!!!!

p.s i enjoy the way you quoted yourself :D

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Just going out for a cigar! Only a few days left!
  • Options
    nuffingman wrote:
    Just going out for a cigar! Only a few days left!
    Too funny. Smoking as we speak.

How many a day do you smoke?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835

that's a great idea
    when I quit I figured out how much money I would save and then I bought myself an expensive watch as a reminder not to start back up..so far, so good
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:

LMFAO! hehehehe.. Well nobody else is doing it! Well I am trying to keep my thoughts together... ahem... thats a hard thing to do!
  • Options
    I am with you. Living in NY it is up to $10 a pack. I can go to Hawaii if I don't smoke for a year.

See... maybe that should be your treat to yourself after a year... trip to hawaii!
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    SENROCK! wrote:

Fanch tells me collecting PJ posters is wicked cool!
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Is that in the past or coming up? Thanks for the wishes! and congrats!

Thanks, next year I am turning 25 and getting married a couple of months after, so I figure is a good way to start a new life, but i am still not sure if i will be able to do it!
    "makes much more sense, to live in the present tense"
  • Options
    dawngdawng Posts: 644
    Good luck to all of you! You can do it!!!

When I quit cigarettes - I also went cold turkey. The hardest times were when I was driving, drinking, or after smoking herb. And I was a bitch for quite some time...weeks...be prepared.

Here's the good news. In the last 10 years of not smoking - I've saved $18,250 (that's assuming a pack a day at $5 a pack - so the real total is probably higher than that!)

Again - GOOD LUCK!!!
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
  • Options
    SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    Good vibes guys, you can do it!
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • Options
    *dawn* wrote:
    Good luck to all of you! You can do it!!!

When I quit cigarettes - I also went cold turkey. The hardest times were when I was driving, drinking, or after smoking herb. And I was a bitch for quite some time...weeks...be prepared.

Here's the good news. In the last 10 years of not smoking - I've saved $18,250 (that's assuming a pack a day at $5 a pack - so the real total is probably higher than that!)

Again - GOOD LUCK!!!
    Thanks so much! I really appreciate the good words and the money part in certainly a factor
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    OK, so two good things I did today

1- Showed my wife the thread. She is thrilled and will now be on my case

2- Bought Step 1 Patches.

I am pumped and ready to go
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    OK, so two good things I did today

1- Showed my wife the thread. She is thrilled and will now be on my case

2- Bought Step 1 Patches.

I am pumped and ready to go

Great then! lol... no backing out now.... They are very positive steps! I have not bought a pack of smokes yet today... just seeing how long i can go before breaking point!
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Too funny. Smoking as we speak.

How many a day do you smoke?
    About 5 cigars a day, although more on golf days. I'm really hating the way my clothes stink.
  • Options
    nuffingman wrote:
    About 5 cigars a day, although more on golf days. I'm really hating the way my clothes stink.

Me too... hair, fingers, car, house, stains the walls your teeth,... not to mention what it does to your lungs...
  • Options
    Me too... hair, fingers, car, house, stains the walls your teeth,... not to mention what it does to your lungs...

It does something to your lungs :eek:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options

TEN BUCKS A PACK??????? :eek: That reason ALONE should help you quit! :eek:
    Thats perfect, this time nexxxt year everyone in this thread should meet in hawaii to celebrate!!!!

• Options
    i am still not sure if i will be able to do it!
    get that filthy thought out of your mind!!!!!!
    you CAN do it!!!!

• Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    hmmpt, typical.

Don't bother with patches, really don't.
    good luck anyway.
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    hmmpt, typical.

Don't bother with patches, really don't.
    good luck anyway.
    ???
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Less than 3 days to go.

Really excited! At the US Open and can't smoke anyway.
    GoiMTvP.gif