Options

Anything wrong with smoking weed?

xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm 16 and I try to keep my life going in the right directions. Lately, I've started smoking weed (last 6 months). I smoke it maybe twice a week (less during school). I've been fairly depressed for the last year (i hear its fairly normal). Is it bad for me to be smoking? Sometimes I feel like I might be doing it because i'm a little depressed. But I always tell people not to do it when their depressed... to make good times better. Am I too young to be doing this? am I going to have to deal with side effects when I get older (planning on stopping by age 20). I really just want to do what is best for my future... but lately I've just been trying to get through the times I'm faced with now... and weed helps me do that. I value my life and future a lot. I'm not depressed just for the sake of it... its mostly about a girl (heheh). Is weed going to have negative long term effects or change my attitude or emotions in a negative way? My brother has smoked for 2 years heavily and stopped about a 3 months ago (got baptized, gave everything up) and he seems fine. please help.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Honestly bro, weed is obviously the safest drug to choose. However I have seen so many good friends turn into pieces of shit. I'm 20 years old, so by no means do I have alot of experience, but I have seen marijuana ruin my own family, my best friends family, and several others. I'm sure you have heard all the "gateway drug" stuff, and I really do believe that at 16 years old that will hold true. If you are depressed then you need to talk to someone. It takes more of a man to admit that he needs help than to sit around and smoke pot in self pity.

If you do it twice a week, it's gonna turn into 3,4,5 and then you're gonna do it every day.

So my advice would be to talk with good friends and family about anything that is making you depressed. I hope everything works out.
    I am right by your side

shows:
    7/18/06 SF
    Bridge School night 2 2006
    12/9/06 Hawaii
    E.V. solo show in Santa Cruz
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,038
    Honestly bro, weed is obviously the safest drug to choose. However I have seen so many good friends turn into pieces of shit. I'm 20 years old, so by no means do I have alot of experience, but I have seen marijuana ruin my own family, my best friends family, and several others. I'm sure you have heard all the "gateway drug" stuff, and I really do believe that at 16 years old that will hold true. If you are depressed then you need to talk to someone. It takes more of a man to admit that he needs help than to sit around and smoke pot in self pity.

If you do it twice a week, it's gonna turn into 3,4,5 and then you're gonna do it every day.

So my advice would be to talk with good friends and family about anything that is making you depressed. I hope everything works out.
    Very insightful post!

Using substances to deal with problems is a way of coping. And it usually sets a new group of problems into play. And it doesn't solve the original problems...instead is provides a smokescreen that keeps the real issues hidden.

Solving problems is the only solution that doesn't have a negative backlash...there are many forms of support from friends, family, books, counsellors, distress/crisis lines, etc.

Peace. :)
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    It feels really innocent for about 4 or 5 years, but if you lose self control and allow yourself to smoke all the time you will most likely become apathetic (not care about shit) and be really lazy. It is funny with my group of friends (I am 23) the stoners are all living in there parents house, either depressed with shitty jobs not going to school, or no job and no school at all...while the people who didn't smoke all the time finished school and were motivated enough to land a solid job.

Even I use to come to this board and make posts about being depressed having no idea why I felt so shitty in complete denial that it was from smoking everyday. I have since given that up and I feel alot better.

That being said in moderation I still think it is quite harmless, but my view MAY be alittle biased because I got into selling copius amounts of it and with my mom and religion it really just turned into a personal demon.

That was probably too long for anyone to actually read... good luck dude!
  • Options
    yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    Read the thread Free Shapella (Shapelle) and youll get the answers.
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Never would I advise someone to smoke pot. But let me say, I smoke pot everyday and I am for the most part a productive part of society. I attend school and have a job. Some people can handle it without it effecting other parts of their lifes, some can't. I started smoking at 14, that is too young. 16 is probably too. Plus you don't want to get busted, it sucks and can spiral into much more.

Okay, I have worked it out.
    Don't smoke pot.

.... till you're older and know for a fact that you are mature enough to handle it.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,258
    As others have said, I'd really hold off and cut it out for a while.
    If you are depressed, smoking pot is NOT going to help but further compound things. Seek help.
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430

you are wise beyond your years.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    frusciante89frusciante89 Posts: 125
    No, you just have to know yourself. I have a uncle who has smoked recreationally since the 60's and has made a very good life for himself and I have stoner buddies who continously fuck up their life with pot. for example my friends boss asked him where to get some pot. he hooked him up then that dudes boss found out and he got fired. Mind you its a summer job before still.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    I have zero advice to give anyone.
    I myself have never fucked around with the smoking of marijuana.
    Someone once lit a marijuana cigarette in a car I was riding in
    and I got very weird feeling.
    I wanted to run away but I had nowhere to go and to be honest, I was scared, scared big time.
    I was afraid of becoming a heroin addict junkie living under a bridge
    eating out of trash cans, using dull bunk needles,
    and selling crystal-chandelier dreams out of someone else's van down by the river...

:D innocent as the driven snow...that's me
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Honestly bro,
    Don't taze me, bro! Don't taze me!

:D

Sorry,.. had to.
  • Options
    xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
    I can't ask anyone for help with my depression... it just seems like its nothing I can control... love, life, and circumstance... there seems no way to cope... and honestly weed hasn't helped long term in the slightest... it only helps short term... I don't think i'm really connected to weed through my depression... I'm just wondering if its gonna make me stupid... or numb... or lazy... long term...
  • Options
    Don't taze me, bro! Don't taze me!

:D

Sorry,.. had to.

lol, that's funny that you said that I was thinking of that as I wrote it.
    I am right by your side

shows:
    7/18/06 SF
    12/9/06 Hawaii
  • Options
    I can't ask anyone for help with my depression... it just seems like its nothing I can control... love, life, and circumstance... there seems no way to cope... and honestly weed hasn't helped long term in the slightest... it only helps short term... I don't think i'm really connected to weed through my depression... I'm just wondering if its gonna make me stupid... or numb... or lazy... long term...

That's positive that you realize weed doesn't help long term.
    It will make you lazy, and potentially stupid. If you do it, moderation is the key. keep that in mind and you should be o.k. I hope you find something positive to cope with though...
    I am right by your side

shows:
    7/18/06 SF
    12/9/06 Hawaii
  • Options
    stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001

I'm only a couple years older than you, and honestly, there isn't much in life that we can control. if you really are feeling down or depressed and it's been going on for a couple weeks or more, there are people out there. believe me when I tell you, from personal experience, people do want to help you. and these are good, qualified doctors or psychiatrists or whatever you want to call them that can REALLY help you. personal experience that I'm still going through RIGHT NOW. don't rely on weed as a coping tool, it's a poor one. people are strong enough to fix there own problems but not many know that (hence we have psychiatrists, etc).

you sound like a smart kid with your head on straight, don't let your life get off track.
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
  • Options

Great post.

I too have seen people fall apart due to smoking weed. I've lost friends to the drug over the years and it can be heart breaking.
    I used to smoke a lot of it myself (between the ages of 17 and 22) but gave up 2 years ago. Don't get me wrong, as I was giving up I had lapses and seriously regretted it the next morning but i'm completely off it now have been for about 18 months.
    I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone, my depression got worse (coinkidink? I think not...) and I had no confidence, it really was self pity.
    I addressed the problems in my life and gave up. Since then, i've not been happier.
    I wish the OP all the best :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Recreationally, it's more or less one of the safer drugs. Still harmful in ways, but so is a fat-laden hamburger.

That's if you can keep this to recreational use. It's definitely not something you should rely on as a form of medication in itself. Addiction to marijuana is one of the worst forms- many other forms of drugs have various medical treatments that would make the withdrawal process easier, but there's nothing that works to get rid of withdrawal symptoms for people with problem use of marijuana.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    it's not legal in the usa.
  • Options
    PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS THE 406 Posts: 6,736
    There is allways someone willing to listen. Do not keep it bottled up!
    pm sent.

PEACE

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    The only thing wrong with smoking weed is, ah, ahhhhh, oh never mind.

Oh yeah short term memory loss. :)

And those damn little burn holes on the front of me favourite satin shirt.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    EVERYDAY HIGH.. concentrate to get my shit straight ...make a break b4 its too f'in late ...
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    When I was in high school and 16 I was also pretty depressed, and I used to use pot to help level me out to. I smoked regularly for about 2 1/2 years. Then, I stopped smoking for a while, and fairly quickly there was a pretty big change in my outlook on life and myself.

I'm not saying there was a direct correlation, because other things happened and changed, but I found I was generally much happier when I wasn't smoking pot than when I was.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    IMO, the only real prob w/ green is that it's illegal. Yeah, you can get to a point where you're smokin' too much all the time, but it's not deadly. You say you value your life...well if weed helps you cope with life and get through it, then I think it's fine. Some might say you're maskin' probs....I say you're dealing with 'em the best way you've figured out thus far. Maybe someday you'll figure a better way, but someday doesn't matter right now. Just stay in touch w/ yourself as best you can, and don't lie to yourself if you get to a point where you're reachin' for the puff piece every time you accidentally tinkle on the toilet seat or spill a glass of water. Treating clinical depression w/ weed is prolly not a good idea...but if you get a lil' down once or twice a week...yer good.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    HushBull wrote:
    Never would I advise someone to smoke pot. But let me say, I smoke pot everyday and I am for the most part a productive part of society. I attend school and have a job. Some people can handle it without it effecting other parts of their lifes, some can't. I started smoking at 14, that is too young. 16 is probably too. Plus you don't want to get busted, it sucks and can spiral into much more.

Okay, I have worked it out.
    Don't smoke pot.

.... till you're older and know for a fact that you are mature enough to handle it.

Good post. I smoke pot every day as well. However, that is not all I do. I read. I play guitar. I play chess. I hike and play basketball. Basically, I keep my mind and body active and I don't have any problems as a result. Now, people who do nothing but smoke pot tend to have issues. Marijuana is a good and beneficial natural growing plant with many medicinal and recreational uses. All things in moderation.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Getting caught. ;)
  • Options
    Hinny wrote:
    Recreationally, it's more or less one of the safer drugs. Still harmful in ways, but so is a fat-laden hamburger.

That's if you can keep this to recreational use. It's definitely not something you should rely on as a form of medication in itself. Addiction to marijuana is one of the worst forms- many other forms of drugs have various medical treatments that would make the withdrawal process easier, but there's nothing that works to get rid of withdrawal symptoms for people with problem use of marijuana.

What exactly are the withdrawal symptoms of marijuana use?

• Options
    Getting caught. ;)

Absolutely. Be careful out there. You have to be smarter than they are, which really isn't hard.

• Options
    HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Absolutely. Be careful out there. You have to be smarter than they are, which really isn't hard.

Try to only carry what you can eat, that is my best advice!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Options
    HushBull wrote:
    Try to only carry what you can eat, that is my best advice!

The man knows what he is talking about.

• Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    my younger brother first smoked at 15.

then came the cigs, then the booze...he eventually made his way all the way up to cocaine, multiple oxys a day chased with Jack Daniels, and whatever drug you can think of. but weed was always his true love. and he sure did change after it. what a bumb...i feel like i never really got to know him. apparently now he has given up weed and everything else. however, he is allowed to cash his checks at a bar...and he usually drinks it all away in that one day.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    I'm 16 and I try to keep my life going in the right directions. Lately, I've started smoking weed (last 6 months). I smoke it maybe twice a week (less during school). I've been fairly depressed for the last year (i hear its fairly normal). Is it bad for me to be smoking? Sometimes I feel like I might be doing it because i'm a little depressed. But I always tell people not to do it when their depressed... to make good times better. Am I too young to be doing this? am I going to have to deal with side effects when I get older (planning on stopping by age 20). I really just want to do what is best for my future... but lately I've just been trying to get through the times I'm faced with now... and weed helps me do that. I value my life and future a lot. I'm not depressed just for the sake of it... its mostly about a girl (heheh). Is weed going to have negative long term effects or change my attitude or emotions in a negative way? My brother has smoked for 2 years heavily and stopped about a 3 months ago (got baptized, gave everything up) and he seems fine. please help.
    it fries your brain cells son! fries your brain cells!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!