Comments

• kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    Maple Leafs-Sabres PreviewOct 15, 2007, 7:00 PM ET
    TV Information

National TV:
    VERSUS (HD)
    Local Away:
    SNET-O

The Buffalo Sabres are without their top two centers from last season. They may not miss them too much if their defense continues to contribute offensively.

The Sabres look to build on two straight dominant victories Monday night when they face the Northeast Division rival Toronto Maple Leafs for the first time this season.

Since opening with back-to-back losses to the New York Islanders, the Sabres (2-2-0) have looked every bit like the league's highest-scoring team from last season in wins over Atlanta and Washington.

Buffalo scored three power-play goals Thursday in a 6-0 victory over the Thrashers, then registered 53 shots Saturday in a 7-3 win over the Capitals.

Jaroslav Spacek scored twice and fellow defenseman Brian Campbell added four assists Saturday for Buffalo, which lost star centers Chris Drury and Daniel Briere to free agency in the offseason.

"I think we played pretty good in the second game against the Islanders, but just didn't get any points," Spacek said. "After we got home it was tough, but we had some time off after that game and worked hard in practice."

Without the 69 goals and 164 points that Drury and Briere provided, the Sabres will need production from other sources to remain successful. Center Derek Roy is the only forward with more than two goals, but Spacek and Campbell have combined for five goals and 15 points.

Campbell is Buffalo's leading scorer and tops NHL defensemen with nine points, while Spacek already has four goals in four games after he recording five in 65 games last year.

"Right now they are making nice plays back there," Sabres coach Lindy Ruff told the team's official Web site. "(Spacek) is getting the shots through and it's finding some holes. Some of them are going through masses of people but we are getting the opportunities."

Also being counted on to help compensate for the missing offense is center Tim Connolly, who was limited to two games last season due to post-concussion symptoms. He's tied for third on the team with five points.

Buffalo's Ryan Miller is 5-1-0 with a 2.51 goals-against average and one shutout in six home games against Toronto.

One game after a stellar performance in an 8-1 win over the Islanders, the Maple Leafs (2-3-1) struggled defensively in a 6-4 home loss to Pittsburgh on Saturday.

Mats Sundin, Jason Blake and Nik Antropov each had a goal and an assist for Toronto, which has allowed four goals or more in half of its six games.

Vesa Toskala made 46 saves - one shy of his career high. He is 1-3-0 with a 4.48 GAA this season.

Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby scored the go-ahead goal on the power play with 5:22 remaining.

"I feel sorry for Vesa, he's kicking 50 shots aside," forward Alex Steen said. "We're taking too many penalties and they took advantage at the end."

Sundin is showing no signs of slowing down in his 17th season. The Toronto captain has a point in every game and ranks among the league leaders with 10 points.

The Sabres went 5-3-0 against the Maple Leafs last season, splitting four home games. Buffalo is 10-4-0 in the past 14 meetings overall.

Associated Press

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/team/app?gameNumber=78&gameType=2&page=Preview&season=20072008&service=page
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • skanjiskanji Posts: 20
    Was McCabe given the puck at the end of the game on his game winning goal last night vs Buffalo?

;)

GO SENS GO!!!!
    me:
    09/21/96 Toronto,ON
    08/20/98 Montreal,QC
    08/22/98 Toronto,ON
    10/04/00 Montreal,QC
    10/05/00 Toronto,ON
    06/28/03 Toronto,ON
    06/29/03 Montreal,QC
    09/28/04 Boston,MA
    09/29/04 Boston,MA
    09/11/05 Kitchener,ON
    09/12/05 London,ON
    09/13/05 Hamilton,ON
    09/15/05 Montreal,QC
    09/16/05 Ottawa,ON
  • Mccabe needs to go.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Mccabe needs to go.

And where will he be going?
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    That 3rd period was exciting as hell. Sad that it had to end the way it did, and I'm not a Buffalo or Toronto fan, but a game that good ending like that was a shame. That's hockey though.
    I love to turn you on
  • Rygar wrote:
    And where will he be going?

Do I look like ferguson?

I don't care where, he just needs to go.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Do I look like ferguson?

No one will take him salary, so he's stuck with us for 5 years
    Do I look like ferguson?

You don't need to be Ferguson to know he isn't going anywhere.
    There's no team in the league that will take him.
  • Rygar wrote:

McCabe will not finish the season in a leaf uniform.
    McCabe will not finish the season in a leaf uniform.

Then he won't finish the season at all ;)
    He makes more than Pronger...

I don't think Ferguson will send him down either.

It'll be interesting to see what will happen. The fans and media are trying to chase him out, so JFJ is in a bit of a pickle.
  • That 3rd period was exciting as hell. Sad that it had to end the way it did, and I'm not a Buffalo or Toronto fan, but a game that good ending like that was a shame. That's hockey though.
    That was a crazy entertaining third period.

McCabe narrowly missed the corner of the net in the third period when he was clearing the puck to the corner. I couldn't help but laugh when he actually put the puck in the net in overtime. McCabe will take the most heat this season, but he's not the only d-man who has played horribly this year.

The Leafs have scored the most goals in the NHL and have given up the most goals in the NHL. This could be a very long, albeit entertaining, season.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,152
    Rygar wrote:

Unless the Laughs are willing to eat between 2Mil to 3Mil of his salary
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Hawkshore wrote:
    Unless the Laughs are willing to eat between 2Mil to 3Mil of his salary

yea, I figure that's the only way he will be moved.
    I know he probably won't be going anywhere but the
    leafs need to realize he's a fucking human pylon and has to go.
  • skanjiskanji Posts: 20
    There isn't one leaf fan that I know of who criticized the McCabe signing when it happened.

But outside toronto, a TON of eyebrows were raised at not only his deal, but the d-fab-four....

There is a colossal waste of money right now within the leafs organization and it all starts from jfj.

To demonstrate exactly how bad things are with the leafs right now, they have 41 million+ tied up in salary right now FOR NEXT YEAR!!! $41 MILLION!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? FOR WHAT??!?!?! JFJ has to go, and it's going to be a 5 year plan letting all these contracts go, NOT TRADING yer freakin first round picks, and buidling from within.

The leafs have the luxury of doing this, where other teams have to constantly be worried about ticket sales, revenue, etc....

As a die hard sens fan, i loathe leafs. Our battles have been legendary and the plot lines incredible. Now I only pity them and (dare i say it) don't know when is the next time our rivalry will be to the level it once was...
    me:
    09/21/96 Toronto,ON
    08/20/98 Montreal,QC
    08/22/98 Toronto,ON
    10/04/00 Montreal,QC
    10/05/00 Toronto,ON
    06/28/03 Toronto,ON
    06/29/03 Montreal,QC
    09/28/04 Boston,MA
    09/29/04 Boston,MA
    09/11/05 Kitchener,ON
    09/12/05 London,ON
    09/13/05 Hamilton,ON
    09/15/05 Montreal,QC
    09/16/05 Ottawa,ON
  • skanji wrote:
    There isn't one leaf fan that I know of who criticized the McCabe signing when it happened.

But outside toronto, a TON of eyebrows were raised at not only his deal, but the d-fab-four....

There is a colossal waste of money right now within the leafs organization and it all starts from jfj.
    Weird. Most Leaf fans I know, including myself, criticized not only the McCabe signing, but how much the Leafs have invested in their inept blue line.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
    Weird. Most Leaf fans I know, including myself, criticized not only the McCabe signing, but how much the Leafs have invested in their inept blue line.

The opposite among you people that I know.
    yea, I figure that's the only way he will be moved.
    I know he probably won't be going anywhere but the
    leafs need to realize he's a fucking human pylon and has to go.

He can't be moved unless he waves his no movement clause in his contract, plus no one wants his salary lol, but as someone else said the Leafs are putting on some exciting games this year.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    See what happens when the league decides to call McCabe when he has his stick between somebody's legs in front of the net. Now he just dosen't know what to do with it. :D

I still like the guy.

The way the Laughs are playing, I'm waiting to see Ballard sitting in the box smiling away at the bad team and full house.
    You've changed your place in this world!
    Like a mouse, the Laughs squeeked one out last night.
    Good job Laffs, a bit of Florida's own medicine for them, the flukey bastards.

Oh yeah, screw you Leafs ;)
    Leafs Claw Back to Beat Panthers
    Recap | Vesa Key | Box Score | Scoresheet | Ulmer | Photos | Video

TORONTO -- Nik Antropov scored the winner and Vesa Toskala was the game's first star but Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Paul Maurice saluted the 19,349 fans at Air Canada Centre for a big assist in Thursday night's 3-2 comeback win over the Florida Panthers.

Down 2-0 after the opening period, Maurice says a ``Go Leafs Go'' chant got his team going and relaxed his players on the bench.

``I really felt they had an impact on the game,'' Maurice said.

He was worried how the crowd would react after a week in which Bryan McCabe has been under siege from fans and media. His gaffe in Monday night's overtime loss at Buffalo when he re-directed the puck into his own net in overtime added more fuel to the fans' unhappiness with the US$5.75 million-a-year blue-liner.

``I thought we were really, really tight in the first period,'' said Maurice. ``Not complacent, but tense.''

While McCabe was booed once in the first period, he changed the jeers to cheers with the tying goal and a solid effort all-around.

``He came out and played his best game of the year _ defensively,'' said Maurice. ``I think his confidence grew on the ice.''

An evenly played game was settled with only 27.6 seconds to go in the third period when Antropov hammered home a rebound from the left faceoff circle after Panthers goalie Craig Anderson kicked out a fat rebound on a shot from Pavel Kubina.

``I was just in the right position at the right time,'' said Antropov. ``We needed it, and fortunately we won.''

The goal capped a bizarre sequence, once that left Panthers head coach Jacques Martin steaming. First Leafs defenceman Ian White dropped the gloves in the Florida zone and tried to entice Panthers forward Jozef Stumpel into a fight after the Slovak cross-checked him from behind near the boards. Stumpel refused to dance, all the while Florida defenceman Jay Bouwmeester broke down the ice at the other end and nearly scored on Toskala _ deking out the Leafs goalie but missing the open net from an acute angle after Toskala got a piece of it with his stick.

The Leafs then skated right back down the ice and won the game on Antropov's heroics.

``Well the guy mugged our guy,'' Martin said of the White-Stumpel non-fight. ``Last time I checked that was a penalty.''

Stumpel also couldn't believe there wasn't a call.

``He dropped the gloves and I didn't,'' Stumpel said. ``I thought we were going to get a power play. That used _ that is _ a penalty and suddenly it wasn't.''

Jason Blake also scored for the Leafs (3-3-2) while captain Mats Sundin had two assists. Antropov also had an assist, giving him four consecutive two-point games. He now has 11 points (6-5) in eight games.

David Booth and Rostislav Olesz replied for the Panthers (3-4-0), who saw their three-game win streak snapped. Winger Nathan Horton chipped in two assists.

Toskala stopped 26 of 28 shots for his second win of the season and was solid in doing so.

The Leafs faced the opposition's backup goalie for the fourth game in a row, this time Anderson getting the nod for Florida after the Panthers scratched No. 1 man Tomas Vokoun. The Czech netminder sustained a mild ankle sprain in a 2-1 shootout win at Montreal on Tuesday night. Anderson stopped 24 of 27 shots.

Olesz opened the scoring on a Florida power play, finishing off a nifty tic-tac-toe play from Stephen Weiss and Horton at 5:59.

Booth made it 2-0 at 10:20, flipping a pass from Jay Bouwmeester over Toskala's right shoulder after McCabe failed to clear the puck.

As much as the first period belonged to Florida, Toronto owned the second.

Blake got the crowd of 19,349 at Air Canada Centre into it with a quick goal just 24 seconds into the second period to cut the lead to 2-1, rifling a shot from the side boards into a half-empty net after Anderson kicked out a fat rebound.

McCabe then tied it up 2-2 with a one-timer blast on a 5-on-3 power play at 6:49, pumping his fist after beating Anderson glove side.

The crowd was on its feet for a tilt between Horton and Hal Gill, the Panthers star holding his own with the big Leafs defenceman.

Both teams were 1-for-5 on the power play.

Notes: Leafs winger Alexei Ponikarovsky returned after missing three games with an ankle injury sustained at practice last week. Forward Boyd Devereaux (back) did not play ... Panthers captain Olli Jokinen set a franchise record with his 301st consecutive game, passing Robert Svehla. Jokinen hasn't sat out since the flu made him miss a game in December 2002. Jokinen also remains one goal and one point short of passing Scott Mellanby for most (157 goals, 355 points) in franchise history ... The Panthers wrap up their Eastern Canadian road trip Saturday at Ottawa while the Leafs host Chicago the same night.

Canadian Press
    Three star selections:
    1st: VESA TOSKALA
    2nd: NATHAN HORTON
    3rd: NIK ANTROPOV
    Winning Goaltender:
    Vesa Toskala

Losing Goaltender:
    Craig Anderson

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=Recap&seas=20072008&gtype=2&gnum=93
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    Any game in which Nik Antropov scores (especially the winner) you know the gods of luck had no small role in the game's outcome ;)
    Big Nik suprising enough has 11 points in 8 games 6 G 5 A lol.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    Well looks like the NHL teams have no respect for the Leafs as the Buds play Chicago tomorrow and will face there fifth straight backup goalie, i hope the trend cotinues.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    Peddie not ready to pull the trigger on JFJ just yet
    By MIKE ZEISBERGER

Way up in his ivory tower at the swank Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment Ltd. offices, Richard Peddie, we are sorry to say, might be poised to drop the axe on someone this morning.

Surely the president of MLSEL must have been bristling at the sound of boos cascading down from the rafters of the Air Canada Centre last night before the opening faceoff of the Maple Leafs-Florida Panthers game had even taken place.

Someone will have to pay the price for the fans' wrath, won't they?

Alas, those of you who have Oct. 19 in your When-will-John-Ferguson-be-fired? pools, it's not going to be the beleaguered Leafs general manager.

No, the probable victim likely will be the poor lass who butchered the American National Anthem prior to the game, eliciting loud jeers from the capacity crowd.

The poor anthem singers. They're always the first to go.

As for Ferguson, prior to last night's much-needed 3-2 Leafs victory over the Panthers, he has been the most criticized Toronto sports figure outside of Bryan McCabe in recent days. And after No. 24 ripped home a second-period goal -- yes, it was into the opposing team's net this time, you sarcastic wags -- Fergie might have reclaimed top spot on that dubious list.

The web, in fact, has been saturated with speculation of Ferguson's imminent demise. One report actually implied his performance would be re-evaluated after the 10-game mark of the season, which would come after Monday's home date against the Atlanta Thrashers.

"If someone says that is our plan, well, that has never come up," Peddie said, obviously riled at such a suggestion. "That entire concept is ludicrous. It has never been discussed in this company. Such talk is far too premature.

"I'd be blowing smoke if I said we like our record to date. We would love it if it was reversed. But I want to stress that it's early. Our expectations of John and Paul Maurice are that they can turn it around and make us the playoff team we expect to be."

Normally a vote of confidence in a coach or GM means the odds are in favour of them being eventually let go. At least that seems to be the trend in the hockey world, as backward as that might seem to be.

But this isn't even a vote of confidence. As Peddie puts it, it is far too early for any of this stuff.

"We haven't even played 10% of the schedule yet," he said.

Either way, Ferguson, in the final year of his deal, is in an unenviable position. When he didn't get the contract extension he believed was coming over the summer, he knew his fate rested with the Leafs won-lost record.

Just don't tell Peddie that the hockey team has a "lame duck" GM in Ferguson.

"In the business world people work based on their performance from year to year," Peddie said. "I never heard the term "lame duck" until I got into the sports world. I don't believe in the phrase."

WAIT AND SEE

Peddie feels such a wait-and-see attitude worked well with Raptors coach Sam Mitchell. With Mitchell in the final year of his contract last season, MLSEL opted not to renegotiate until the summer. By that time the Raptors had won the Atlantic Division and made a playoffs, earning Mitchell a hefty hike in pay.

"When we were recently in Italy with the team, Sam joked with me by saying I could have saved money (by signing him last year). I told him that he deserved the raise," Peddie said.

"It's no secret. You earn your future employment. John knows that."

Besides, it's amazing what one victory will do. In the jubilant Maple Leafs dressing room last night, both Peddie and MLSEL chairman Larry Tanenbaum, accompanied by Raptors swingman Jason Kapono, were shaking hands and patting the various players on the back.

Another losing streak, however, could sour the spirits of those suits in the ivory tower quite quickly.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/2007/10/19/4588629-sun.html
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • This thread is 30 pages and i don't feel like reading them all, sorry if it's been post before.

But i just found these two on another website, enjoy :D :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3QO8xOp8nnY&mode=user&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=73C0runl3c4
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    This thread is 30 pages and i don't feel like reading them all, sorry if it's been post before.

But i just found these two on another website, enjoy :D :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3QO8xOp8nnY&mode=user&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=73C0runl3c4

Nice!
    Tomorrow Atlanta comes to town. Judging by the way the season has begun, this could be the bright spots to look forward to all season long. Need a cure for what ails ya? Here comes Atlanta.
    even flow? wrote:
    Tomorrow Atlanta comes to town. Judging by the way the season has begun, this could be the bright spots to look forward to all season long. Need a cure for what ails ya? Here comes Atlanta.

I thought the Habs were playing Atl tomorrow, but that is next Tuesday. TSN was advertising this game last week and I missed the date...
    Habs and the Boo-urns tonight (who, by the way, are the subject of this week's "fairweather thread" here on the AET, hahaha)
    Well here's news that every Tucker hater will be glad to hear

Leafs' Tucker sidelined indefinitely

TSN.ca Staff

10/22/2007 1:15:28 PM

Maple Leafs forward Darcy Tucker will be sidelined indefinitely after sustaining a knee injury in Saturday's game against the Chicago Blackhawks.

Tucker suffered ligament damage to his right knee during a collision early in the third period of Saturday's 6-4 loss.

Tucker has one goal and four assist in seven games this season.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=221162&hubname=
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013