Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

Comments

• even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Rygar wrote:
    Hahahaha, well I stand corrected. Tripping over the net, nice opener. Ponikarovsky got hurt at PRACTICE yesterday, courtesy of Chad Kilger.
    Who the hell signs Tucker the Fucker for $12 million??

And you thought the media and fans weren't being nice to him for no good reasons at all. :)
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    even flow? wrote:
    And you thought the media and fans weren't being nice to him for no good reasons at all. :)

Why would I try to be fair to those assclowns anyway? What was I thinking.
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    even flow? wrote:

JFJ is a fucking moron, but someone loves him at mlse, someone liked Babcock to for a few years (Raptors)but they finally got a GM on the basketball side, hopefully they can find one for the Hockey side now.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    Oct 11, 2007 05:00 ET
    Leafs Return to the Big Screen at Cineplex Entertainment
    Leafs TV broadcasts in High Definition exclusively at select Cineplex Entertainment theatres

2007-08 season offers expanded number of Leafs games
    TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Oct. 11, 2007) - Cineplex Entertainment (TSX:CGX.UN) and the Toronto Maple Leafs are pleased to announce the return of Leafs games on the big screen at 26 participating theatre locations in the Greater Toronto Area and Ontario.

"Showing the Toronto Maple Leafs games exclusively at our theatres last year was a great idea that Leafs fans loved and we're excited to have more than doubled this season's games from seven to 19," says Pat Marshall, Vice President Communications and Investor Relations for Cineplex Entertainment. "New this year is the opportunity to purchase tickets in three or five packs at a discount to secure your seats in advance to the hottest big screen hockey."

The Leafs TV-Cineplex Entertainment season begins October 11, when the Leafs face off against the New York Islanders. Leafs fans can cheer for their favourite team while watching the game on Cineplex Entertainment's giant wall-to-wall curved screens in Dolby Digital Surround Sound and in High Definition Television (HDTV).

"Our partnership with Cineplex Entertainment has been tremendously successful mainly because of the authentic experience we've created for Leafs fans in a theatre environment," says Chris Hebb, Senior Vice-President of Broadcast and Content for Leafs TV. "The High-Definition broadcast will have fans feeling as though they are sitting rinkside at Air Canada Centre."

Hebb adds that people want to consume sports in different ways and the emergence of new mediums such as watching hockey games in the theatre enables Leafs fans to experience hockey in a non-traditional forum.

Fans in attendance at Cineplex Entertainment theatres will also be treated to the ultimate fan experience with Leafs alumni and mascot appearances, prizes, trivia and giveaways at select theatres.

For $10.95 a ticket or less, family and friends can spend an affordable night out together watching the games. Advance tickets are available immediately online at http://www.cineplex.com as well as at participating theatre box offices. Admission for children ages 3 - 12 is $8.95 + tax and general admission is $10.95 + tax. New this year, guests can also purchase tickets to any three games for $31.20 + tax or any five games for $49.25 + tax making this a great gift for the holiday season!

Community involvement is a core value of the Leafs and its American Hockey League affiliate the Toronto Marlies. It is also an important component in how Cineplex Entertainment operates its theatres. As a result, proceeds from every Leafs game ticket sold in Cineplex Entertainment theatres will be used to provide underprivileged children a fun, exciting sports experience with an opportunity to attend a Marlies game.

All 19 Leafs games shown in Cineplex Entertainment theatres will be Leafs TV broadcasts. Leafs TV is the official station of Leafs Nation and the hockey fan's number one source for the latest team news and information with favourite programs such as Leafs Today, Game Day, broadcast an hour before each game and After The Horn.

The following theatres will show Toronto Maple Leafs hockey games throughout the regular season:

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=779559

Anyone gone to a movie theatre to watch a game before, im thinking of doing this tonight just for fun.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    Would have been entertaining to see McCabe fall over the net in practice on a big screen...
    Rygar wrote:
    Would have been entertaining to see McCabe fall over the net in practice on a big screen...

Well yeah that would have been kinda funny, or watch the the 3 Canes collide at the blueline, but im talking Leafs Islanders tonight :)
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    Well yeah that would have been kinda funny, or watch the the 3 Canes collide at the blueline, but im talking Leafs Islanders tonight :)

I know, I'm just digging on you.
    I missed the Hurricane collision.
    Islanders-Maple Leafs PreviewOct 11, 2007, 7:30 PM ET
    TV Information

Local Home:
    LEAFS TV (HD)
    Local Away:
    FSNY2

Wednesday Practice: : Maurice | Belak | Stralman | Tucker
    Thursday Morning Paul Maurice Morning Skate

Morning Line Combinations - as witnessed by Leafs TV's Mark Osborne
    LW: Jason Blake C: Mats Sundin RW: Alex Steen
    LW: Simon Gamache C: Matt Stajan RW: Darcy Tucker
    LW: Boyd Devereaux C: Nik Antropov RW: John Pohl
    LW: Chad Kilger C: Kris Newbury RW: Wade Belak

Hal GIll Ian White
    Bryan McCabe Tomas Kaberle
    Andy Wozniewski Pavel Kubina

G: Andrew Raycroft
    G: Vesa Toskala

(TORONTO) - After being routed at home and booed off the ice, Mats Sundin and the Toronto Maple Leafs will try to bounce back at the Air Canada Centre against the surprising New York Islanders on Thursday.

The Maple Leafs (1-2-1) are 6-1 with one tie in their last eight meetings with the Islanders (3-1-0) at the Air Canada Centre, with the lone loss a 3-2 shootout defeat in the last matchup on Feb. 13. Overall, they hold a commanding 15-3-1 advantage with one tie against the Islanders in the last 20 games between the teams at Toronto.

Toronto's 7-1 loss Tuesday to Carolina was its worst home defeat since an 8-0 rout administered by Ottawa on Oct. 29, 2005.

"Good teams are going to have bad nights and lose 5-1, whatever, that's part of hockey. It's how you respond," Sundin told the team's official Web site.

Sundin, who picked up his team-high sixth assist and seventh point of the season on Bryan McCabe's goal, is tied with Darryl Sittler for second in franchise history with 527 assists, trailing only Borje Salming's 620. Sundin also is tied with Sittler with a team-record 389 goals.

Sundin, though, went pointless in three games against the Islanders last season, but has 11 goals and 23 points his last 18 games versus the Islanders at Toronto.

Maple Leafs coach Paul Maurice may start backup goaltender Andrew Raycroft after Vesa Toskala struggled Tuesday. While Toskala made 32 saves, he is 1-2-0 with a 4.29 goals-against average in his first three starts after being acquired in an offseason trade from San Jose.

"We'll see what happens," said Raycroft, who made 26 stops in a 4-3 season-opening overtime loss to Ottawa on Oct. 3. "Obviously you want to get in there and play but at the same time there's going to be an opportunity for both of us to play. It's game four. We have 78 left. There's lots of hockey to get in and lots of chances to play well."

The Islanders, meanwhile, are looking to build on Wednesday's 2-1 win over the New York Rangers. Defenseman Bryan Berard scored the game-winner with 6:04 to play in his season debut.

"A lot of people questioned if I was healthy this summer after two back surgeries and missing a lot of hockey the last two years," Berard said. "I came in proving I'm healthy. I'm feeling good and I'm only going to get better."

Berard, who was limited to 55 games over the last two seasons with Columbus due to back surgeries, signed with the Islanders on Tuesday. He had won the Calder Trophy 10 years ago with the Islanders after being drafted first overall in 1995. Three years after reaching the NHL, the veteran blueliner missed the entire 2000-01 season with Toronto following eye surgery after being hit with a stick blade.

Berard, who had 49 points in 102 games for the Leafs over two seasons, practiced with the Islanders after training camp and covered his own expenses.

"He showed us a lot by sticking in practice, paying his own way with no guarantee," Islanders coach Ted Nolan said. "He earned himself a contract."

Rick DiPietro made 36 saves Wednesday to improve to 3-1-0 with a 2.02 GAA in four games. The goaltender has struggled at Toronto, going 1-3-0 with one tie and a 4.42 GAA in six contests.

It will be the first time Maple Leafs left wing Jeff Blake faces the Islanders after leaving them via free agency in the offseason. Blake, who had 40 goals and 69 points with the Islanders in 2006-07, announced this week he is battling chronic myelogenous leukemia - a rare form of the disease.

Blake, who signed a five-year, $20 million deal, is taking medication for the condition and said he doesn't expect to miss playing time.

Associated Press

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/team/app?gameNumber=53&gameType=2&page=Preview&season=20072008&service=page
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    good match tonight

i will probably catch this game on the tube tonight.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    talk about an ass whopping- even if it is due to post- ranger hangover.

8-1 ?

Sundin reaching a franchise plateau
    congrats matts
    you ranger- killer you !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Whoa!!!!

Keep Raycroft as the starter.

WAY TO GO MATS!!!!!!!
    Blake still hasn't scored and all he had to do was ease it in the general direction of the goal last night...
    I watched the game on the big screen, it was pretty much an empty theatre, but for like the 20 or so Leafs fans they got a treat, my question where was this Dubi last year lol, where was his famous poke check on the goals from Kaberle and Steen, Mats getting the record was the highlight of the game, but c'mon all 3 stars for Sundin when Mat Stajan had a goal and three assists and Raycroft actually stopped the puck.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    I watched the game on the big screen, it was pretty much an empty theatre, but for like the 20 or so Leafs fans they got a treat, my question where was this Dubi last year lol, where was his famous poke check on the goals from Kaberle and Steen, Mats getting the record was the highlight of the game, but c'mon all 3 stars for Sundin when Mat Stajan had a goal and three assists and Raycroft actually stopped the puck.

Sounds like you're in for a real rollercoaster of a goaltender shitstorm man. Good game, bad game, ok game, great game, is he awake, etc, etc..
    That goes for both goaltenders, and they'll be calling for his head one day and giving him the keys to the city the next!

Sundin had 1 goal? Saw the highlights on TSN this morning and I thought they showed him popping a few (must have been the false assist celebration).
    Yeah i agree it will prolly be a rollercoaster ride, not one of the goalies will take the number 1 job and run with it.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Rygar wrote:
    Blake still hasn't scored and all he had to do was ease it in the general direction of the goal last night...
    Rygar dude as a huge fan of Jay Bee dude he starts off the season slow and then lights up the scorecard....Just sent him a get well card from his #1 fan on da island.Shit still wiish he was here...just wouldn't appcept anthing less than 5 years Damn you salary cap!
    Let's Go Yanks!
    96)Randalls Island I,II
    98)NJ,MSG I,II
    00) Virginia Beach Jones Beach I,II,III Saratoga Springs Seattle I
    03)Nassau Camden I MSG I,II NJ
    04)Boston I,II Reading
    05)Montreal Ottawa Toronto Borgata I,II Philly
    06) Irving plaza Albany Hartford Camden I,II NJ I,II LA I,II Gorge I,II
    07)Lolla
    08)Roo Camden I,II MSG I,II Hartford Beacon
    09)Chicago I,II Philly II,III,IV
    10)Hartford Newark MSG I,II
    11)PJ20 I,II
    13)Wrigley Brooklyn I,II Hartford
    14)Moline,milwaukee
    15)Central Park
    16)MSG I,II
    17)Wrigley I,II
    18)Wrigley I,II
    22)MSG,Camden
    24)MSG I,II
  • I know it's early in the season, but it sure would be nice for Stajan to come into his own this season and put up some solid numbers. He and Steen have looked good. I think Blake has also looked pretty good, he just hasn't been able to put the puck in the net. He's so quick, and he's always buzzing around the net. He just needs to get that first goal and get the monkey off his back.

To be fair to Toskala, he has mostly looked pretty sharp so far (although, he does give up quite a lot of rebounds). He's come up with some huge saves when the Leafs defence, like usual, has left him out to dry. He had absolutely no support on Tuesday night, and it reached a point where I think he gave up. I don't think the score indicated how poorly he played. I sure hope Toskala can take the reins and be a solid goalie for Toronto. I don't think I could handle watching another season with Raycroft in net, as much as I love how he gives up goals minutes after the Leafs score and with minutes remaining in the period. :)

I often wonder when goalies come to Toronto, if they realize what they have got themselves into. I'm pretty sure the Leafs D could make Brodeur look bad. :)
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
    pjscreamer wrote:
    Rygar dude as a huge fan of Jay Bee dude he starts off the season slow and then lights up the scorecard....Just sent him a get well card from his #1 fan on da island.Shit still wiish he was here...just wouldn't appcept anthing less than 5 years Damn you salary cap!

I'm not knocking Blake, I'm predicting the media ripping his heart out for 4 games without a goal.

I'm pretty sure the Leafs D could make Brodeur look bad. :)

Blasphemy!!
    Rygar wrote:
    I'm not knocking Blake, I'm predicting the media ripping his heart out for 4 games without a goal.

After the news the other day, I think the press will be pretty kind to Blake. No matter if he only scores 5 or 10 goals this year.
    even flow? wrote:
    After the news the other day, I think the press will be pretty kind to Blake. No matter if he only scores 5 or 10 goals this year.

The kindness will only be temporary.
    http://www.anotherlongseason.com - you know the drill

The Leafs fresh off of a win, a very big win which followed a very big loss will be hosting the Penguins on Saturday night at the hanger. The Pens are coming into Toronto after having been stymied by the Canadiens' rookie goaltender at home. The Pens will be looking for some scoring from the fresh yet young vets in the line up. Toronto will be doing their best not to follow a win with a loss.

The goaltending issue in Toronto is still undecided as each goalie is playing like they want to split the season in the pipes. Which wouldn't be bad if their names were Brodeur and Luongo. Alas, they are not. With confidence being on Raycroft's side after a big win last evening, I think he should get the nod against a team that is capable of putting the puck on and in the net many times. This game should test his character.

A tip of the hat to Mats Sundin taking over the all time goals and points lead of a Maple Leaf player. He is only trailing fellow countryman Borje Salming in assists to hold the three big stats for a player. In typical nice guy ways that Sundin has a reputation for, he advised the ref that he indeed didn't touch the puck and gave back an asssist that would have set the record. Only to score in the third period to get it back. Looking to pass, the puck hit a skate and went into the net. Not pretty once past the thin red line is a goal all the same.

The hanger should be SRO again as the hype around Syd the Kid has yet to wane. Oh and their is some hype about a Russian on the team too, but this writer is taking the Don Cherry approach to hockey.
    even flow? wrote:
    http://www.anotherlongseason.com - you know the drill

The Leafs fresh off of a win, a very big win which followed a very big loss will be hosting the Penguins on Saturday night at the hanger. The Pens are coming into Toronto after having been stymied by the Canadiens' rookie goaltender at home. The Pens will be looking for some scoring from the fresh yet young vets in the line up. Toronto will be doing their best not to follow a win with a loss.

The goaltending issue in Toronto is still undecided as each goalie is playing like they want to split the season in the pipes. Which wouldn't be bad if their names were Brodeur and Luongo. Alas, they are not. With confidence being on Raycroft's side after a big win last evening, I think he should get the nod against a team that is capable of putting the puck on and in the net many times. This game should test his character.

A tip of the hat to Mats Sundin taking over the all time goals and points lead of a Maple Leaf player. He is only trailing fellow countryman Borje Salming in assists to hold the three big stats for a player. In typical nice guy ways that Sundin has a reputation for, he advised the ref that he indeed didn't touch the puck and gave back an asssist that would have set the record. Only to score in the third period to get it back. Looking to pass, the puck hit a skate and went into the net. Not pretty once past the thin red line is a goal all the same.

The hanger should be SRO again as the hype around Syd the Kid has yet to wane. Oh and their is some hype about a Russian on the team too, but this writer is taking the Don Cherry approach to hockey.

Now the real story of the game :)

Sundin Sets Goal and Points Record Canadian Press Oct 12, 2007, 12:37 AM EDT Recap | Ulmer Blog | Photo Gallery | Scoresheet | Stats | Video

TORONTO -- After losing the Toronto Maple Leafs' franchise record for most points, Mats Sundin hit the ice and took it right back.

Sundin scored in the third period for his 390th goal and 917th point in the blue and white, both new club records, as the Maple Leafs hammered the New York Islanders 8-1 on Thursday night.

The 36-year-old Swedish captain entered the game tied with Darryl Sittler in franchise goals and points. Sundin broke both records when he attempted pass that caromed in off the skate blade of Islanders defenceman Brendan Witt at 9:54 of the third period.

When Sundin went to the bench, his teammates stood and banged their sticks against the boards while the crowd cheered the captain.

They'd done the same in the second period when Sundin was credited with an assist, and for 20 or 30 minutes he held the club points record all alone. But Sundin talked to the on-ice officials to let them know he hadn't touched the puck on the play, and the crowd moaned when it was announced five minutes into the third period that the point had been taken away.
    Sundin soaks it up after breaking the Leafs scoring record.
    Graig Abel Photograpgy

``I actually went to the penalty box and they said, `I think they're going to take your assist away,' and I said, `I think so, too, because I didn't touch the puck,''' Sundin explained. ``I'm very glad it ended the way it did.

``It would have been embarrassing otherwise.''

Nik Antropov, Ian White, Tomas Kaberle, Matt Stajan, Alex Steen, Andy Wozniewski, with his first NHL goal, and Simon Gamache, with his first as a Leaf, also scored. Stajan had three assists and Darcy Tucker and Pavel Kubina two each.

``I'm extremely happy for him,'' Tucker said of Sundin. ``He's the face of the franchise and has been for a number of years.

After the game, Air Canada Centre announcer Andy Frost announced the three stars, and it was Sundin, Sundin and Sundin as more than 19,000 roared their approval.

``The fans sticking with this team, which hasn't won a championship since '67, is a big carrot for us coming back every year to try and achieve that,'' Sundin said as a media throng surrounded him at his dressing room stall afterwards. ``Tonight they were outstanding again and helped us play this game and helped us bounce back after a very disappointing game the other night.

``My respect has grown every year as a player for this city, the Toronto Maple Leafs and the fans. Hopefully, it's grown the same for me as a player.''

The Leafs were looking to bounce back from a 7-1 home loss to Carolina on Tuesday.

``Every team is going to lose at some part of the season (by big scores) _ even the team winning the Stanley Cup,'' said Sundin. ``It's how you respond after a loss like that, and I thought we responded well.

``We know we still have a lot of work to do but it is a character builder when you bounce back like that in front of your home fans and we showed our fans we're not going to lay down and it was nice to see.''

``No matter what happens he never seems to get too high or too low. It's always, `Boys, we'll bounce back. Boys, we need to pick it up.' He never lets us get off-kilter, which is great for a team that has a few younger guys this year.''

Stajan and the other Leafs youngsters idolize Sundin.

``I watched him growing up,'' said Stajan. ``I was only 10 or 12 years old when he got traded here.

``I got to watch him a lot and I've been lucky now to play with him in this my fourth year. You couldn't ask for a better guy to be your captain.''

Ruslan Fedotenko was the only Islander to put a puck behind Leafs goalie Andrew Raycroft.

``It was embarrassing,'' said Wade Dubielewicz, who was in the Islanders nets to give No. 1 Rick DiPietro a rest. ``The effort just wasn't there _ from me on out.''

The losers were gracious enough to praise Sundin.

``Mats is an all-star player and what he means to the Toronto Maple Leafs and the city, the type of gentleman that he is, it's fitting for him to get that many goals and that many points,'' said Islanders coach Ted Nolan. ``He's a heck of a player.''

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=339862
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    Rygar wrote:
    The kindness will only be temporary.

I think he's played good though, if u couldn't see an effort then they'd prolly be all over him, the media.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    I think he's played good though, if u couldn't see an effort then they'd prolly be all over him, the media.

The day before his announcement they were calling for blood with "three games no goals, Blake not so big a signing after all" etc, etc.

EF's commentary was better :P
    Late Crosby Goal Downs Leafs
    Score Sheet | Super Stats | Photos | Video | Carlo, Wellwood Practice

TORONTO (CP) -- Pity the Toronto Maple Leafs. They had the unfortunate fate of welcoming a goal-hungry Sidney Crosby after the Pittsburgh Penguins superstar began the season with no goals in his first three games.

The so-called slump is over, folks.

Sid The Kid scored his first two goals of the season, including the game-winner with 5:22 left in the third period, to lead the Penguins to a wild 6-4 win over the Maple Leafs on Saturday night.

``It's not something I was too worried about,'' said Crosby, the game's first star. ``If I wasn't getting chances I'd be a little worried but I thought it was just a matter of time.''

Last season's NHL scoring champion came into the game with two assists and nine shots on goal in three games. He scored on two of his four shots Saturday - neither one a beauty but he wasn't complaining.

``I remember last year I went eight to 10 games without a goal, so I was hoping it wasn't going to be that long,'' said Crosby. ``But that happens, that's part of playing hockey. I've said it before, it's not easy. The seasons are full of ups and downs. You just have to battle through it.''

The crowd of 19,479 at Air Canada Centre got its money's worth in a game which featured plenty of goals, even more chances, and very little defence. Both teams handled the puck in their own zone like a hand grenade. But the Penguins especially terrorized the Leafs with 52 shots on goal and chance after chance.

``We were moving our feet and really creating a lot,'' said Crosby. ``And we could have even had more, let's be honest. We have to make sure defensively we're strong but if we keep putting shots up like that, I think we'll get results.''

It was the ninth goal in the game that mattered most, Crosby banging home a loose puck into an empty net after Toronto goalie Vesa Toskala stopped Darryl Sydor's point shot on a Penguins power play only to have the puck trickle behind him to Crosby. It was the lone power-play tally of the night out of 10 goals.

Maxime Talbot also had a pair of goals, while Ryan Malone and Erik Christensen also scored for the Penguins (2-2-0), who outshot Toronto 52-27.

``Any time you go on the road and get more than 50 shots you're doing something right,'' said veteran Penguins winger Mark Recchi. ``Hopefully this game gets us going in the right direction.''

Toskala was solid despite letting in five goals, stopping 46 shots - one short of his career-high. If only he had help.

``I feel sorry for Vesa, he's kicking 50 shots aside,'' said Leafs winger Alex Steen. ``We're taking too many penaltiesa and they took advantage at the end.''

Toskala has given up 12 goals in his last two starts but head coach Paul Maurice can't fault him.

``He's played really, really well his last two games,'' said Maurice. ``What do you say to the kid after that? He played great again.''

Said Toskala: ``It's tough. We need the points if we want to make the playoffs this year so it's frustrating.''

The Leafs were handed a power play with 1:32 to go in the third period but couldn't capitalize, Talbot ending it with an empty-netter with 49.2 clicks left.

Toronto for the second game in a row faced the opposition's backup goalie. After putting eight goals past New York Islanders backup Wade Dubielewicz on Thursday, the Leafs saw Penguins backup Dany Sabourin get the start over No. 1 Marc-Andre Fleury.

And he looked every bit the backup after allowing a pair of shaky goals. But Sabourin was replaced by Fleury with 4:53 to go in the opening period after Darcy Tucker was pushed into him by Pens defenceman Brooks Orpik, the goalie knocking his head on the ice.

Orpik was knocked out of the game in the second period, injured while trying to hit Simon Gamache. The Leafs winger appeared to catch him with his stick as the Pens defenceman tried to bodycheck him. A team spokesman said Orpik sustained a mild concussion.

Crosby has never had a fighting major in the NHL but came close late in the second period, exchanging a few face washes with Nik Antropov. Both players got roughing penalties.

``I went to finish my hit and he got his stick up a bit,'' said Crosby. ``A little bit of a scrum. Nothing major. That's not a fight. I didn't drop the gloves.''

Christensen opened the scoring 5:09 into the game, his wrist shot from the top of the faceoff circle beating a screened Toskala. Tucker tied it 1:28 later, flipping in a rebound at the side of the net. Toronto took its first lead at 8:39, Antropov stuffing home a loose puck.

The Pens pressed for the rest of the period, outshooting the Leafs 19-6 overall, but Toskala stood up to the test - including a flashy glove save on Jordan Staal.

The Leafs came out with more energy in the middle period and connected early to make it 3-1, Mats Sundin one-timing a quick pass from behind by Antropov past Fleury just 55 seconds in.

Crosby rallied his team, however, his attempted pass deflecting off Leafs defenceman Pavel Kubina and past Toskala at 6:31. That seemed to wake up the Pens, who tied it 3-3 just 19 seconds later, Talbot putting in a rebound after a second effort.

The teams traded chances before Pittsburgh went ahead with exactly four minutes to go in the second period, Malone knocking a rebound off Staal's shot to make it 4-3.

Jason Blake tied it 4-4 just 27 seconds later, flipping a rebound from Sundin's shot over Fleury. The Air Canada Centre crowd showed its appreciation with a warm applause for Blake, scoring his first goal as a Leaf in an emotionally charged week. He was diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia and announced it last Monday.

Notes: Forward Kyle Wellwood (groin) and defenceman Carlo Colaiacovo (knee) joined their Maple Leaf teammates for the pre-game skate Saturday morning, their first practice with the team since going down with separate problems. Both players said they hoped to be back in the lineup soon, perhaps as early as next week. Winger Alex Ponikarovsky (knee) missed his second straight game. ``We're hopeful for Monday (at Buffalo),'' Leafs coach Paul Maurice said of Ponikarovsky. ``We don't think he's that far off.'' ... Toronto native Mike Myers, in town shooting his latest film - ``The Love Guru'' - dropped the puck for a ceremonial faceoff.

Three star selections:
    1st: SIDNEY CROSBY
    2nd: NIK ANTROPOV
    3rd: EVGENI MALKIN
    Winning Goaltender:
    Marc-Andre Fleury

Losing Goaltender:
    Vesa Toskala

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=Recap&seas=20072008&gtype=2&gnum=64
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    i thought you guys were going to beat us when we had to put fleury in, we pulled one out of our asses last night!
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
    It was a tough call that gave Crosby the winner, i hate that delay of the game rule no matter who it's against, but i thought it was a damn entertaining game though.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    kenshunt wrote:
    It was a tough call that gave Crosby the winner, i hate that delay of the game rule no matter who it's against, but i thought it was a damn entertaining game though.
    ya it was fun to watch. i was just waiting for fleury to blow it. i hope we don't keep him. who was the delay of game call against, i can't remember?
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • inmyrvm wrote:
    ya it was fun to watch. i was just waiting for fleury to blow it. i hope we don't keep him. who was the delay of game call against, i can't remember?
    Tucker.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.