Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    even flow? wrote:
    They have the denfense to do that. :)

Just incase you don't know. He couldn't pot one in the last twenty games to tie the Leaf record for most goals by a player. And since they are at home tonight it would be nice to see him pot two.

And lose 8-2. :)
    I'd be ok with that
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    Rygar wrote:
    They black the other channels' coverage out for games here and override what they say is on with what the other channel is showing anyway. Stoopid CBC.

Really eh, i guess they think we should all order centre ice package i guess.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    Really eh, i guess they think we should all order centre ice package i guess.

My current options are shit anyway, local cable (only cable, and I'm a mere 20 minutes from Halifax) is about 40 channels.
    My folks have satellite and it drives my dad crazy that he can't get a Habs game on TV to save his life.
    Rygar wrote:
    I'd be ok with that
    C'mon you should hate the Senators more, or are u still upset the Leafs elimanated the Habs last year.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    just order the package ya cheap bastards:)
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    just order the package ya cheap bastards:)

I'm already paying extra money for LeafsTV so i can watch 20 games and if i got the centre ice package they don't include those 20 Leafs games which is kinda stupid.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    I'm already paying extra money for LeafsTV so i can watch 20 games and if i got the centre ice package they don't include those 20 Leafs games which is kinda stupid.

whatever floats ur boat :)
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    whatever floats ur boat :)

I get a few Centre Ice channels free anyways, and i just checked an i actually have them all on free preview
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    I get a few Centre Ice channels free anyways, and i just checked an i actually have them all on free preview

1st week is free nice
    kenshunt wrote:
    C'mon you should hate the Senators more, or are u still upset the Leafs elimanated the Habs last year.

I'm not sure who should be more upset...me, as those losers prevented my team from a playoff spot (still say Huet should have sat) or you, cause those losers actually thought it a good idea to CELEBRATE having not won a cup for 40 years...
    On the Centre Ice Package it says i can't even check to see how those filthy Scabs are doing due to a blackout
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Rygar wrote:
    I'm not sure who should be more upset...me, as those losers prevented my team from a playoff spot (still say Huet should have sat) or you, cause those losers actually thought it a good idea to CELEBRATE having not won a cup for 40 years...

Oh yeah!!!! Well who was the last Canadian team to win the cup? Ooops! :D

The owners of the Laughs know that they would be hit by Blue Jay syndrome if they were to win the cup. Nobody would be chomping at the bit anymore. Keep the fans on the edge and they will keep coming back. Even if that means eighth place and getting smoked in the first round. The one line I am getting sick of is "next year". ;)
    You've changed your place in this world!
    even flow? wrote:
    Oh yeah!!!! Well who was the last Canadian team to win the cup? Ooops! :D

The owners of the Laughs know that they would be hit by Blue Jay syndrome if they were to win the cup. Nobody would be chomping at the bit anymore. Keep the fans on the edge and they will keep coming back. Even if that means eighth place and getting smoked in the first round. The one line I am getting sick of is "next year". ;)

Admit it deep down inside your a Leafs fan, because i fucking hate when people say maybe next year, and as for Blue Jay Syndrome, it was the strike that killed the Jays in my opinion.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    Admit it deep down inside your a Leafs fan, because i fucking hate when people say maybe next year, and as for Blue Jay Syndrome, it was the strike that killed the Jays in my opinion.

We Habs don't say 'next year'. We say "Ah fuck, here we go again.."
    http://WWW.anotherverylongseason.ca ;)

Tonight marks the 40th year since the Buds have put a cup in the case here in Toronto. As usual fans hopes are as high as the ticket and beer prices at the ACC. Blue and white bleed from the veins of the faithful as the new season begins. Talk of Lord Stanley being returned for a trip through the city has already begun with some of the fans. The way they celebrate a first round win up and down Yonge Street is a precursor to the bash that would get thrown if the Leafs ever completed four rounds as the champs.

The trouble this reporter sees this year is the goalie situation. With the return of Andrew Raycroft and the signing of Vesa Toskala, coach Maurice has a tough decision to make. Play the stiff from last year who couldn't carry a child on his shoulders better yet a team, or use Toskala and the big contract he inked for being an okay goalie on a very good hockey team for almost half a season last year. Of course Maurice will take the hit no matter who lets in the most goals this year. Hey Paul: how is getting painted into a corner feel?

The Buds will play a home and home series with last years runner ups from the race to the cup. The Sens will be a hungry bunch to want to prove that last year wasn't a fluke. Going undefeated in the preseason will be a boost to the guys as they hit the ice at the ACC tonight. With Emery still nursing a sore, repaired hand, look for Gerber (baby food) to get the call in the back to back games.

Edit: that is a fake link and I don't know where it will take you!
    Well looks like Andrew Raycroft gets the start tonight, that's what i hear on the Fan590 anyways.

Now Howard Burger say's Raycroft confirmed he was playing, and Maurice said he hasn't made up his mind lol.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    Leafs pick Raycroft over Toskala

Canadian Press

10/3/2007 12:16:06 PM

TORONTO - Andrew Raycroft was happy, Vesa Toskala was not.

It was pretty clear who got the starting assignment in goal for Wednesday night's Toronto Maple Leafs season opener against the rival Ottawa Senators, even if head coach Paul Maurice refused to confirm it after the pre-game skate at Air Canada Centre.

"I'm not going to tell you who our starting goaltender is," said Maurice. "We'll talk about it after the game."

But it was fairly obvious. Raycroft was the first to leave the ice in the pre-game skate, which is the most traditional of tell-tale signs. Then he spilled the beans when a throng of media pestered him for the answer.

"It's really not a big deal to either one of us, obviously it's nice to be playing," said Raycroft, before adding a kicker: "At least I'll be getting one game in this year."

Raycroft said Maurice told him after practice on Tuesday.

The look on Toskala's face said it all. Acquired in Toronto's biggest off-season move during the June NHL entry draft, the former San Jose Sharks netminder was also given an US$8-million, two-year extension and was largely expected to carry most of the load this season after Raycroft struggled last year.

But Toskala fought the puck in pre-season, opening the door for Raycroft.

"I don't want to make a big deal of it," Toskala said after the pre-game skate. "It's going to be a long season. I just have to stay patient."

He gave largely the same answer to every question, seemingly biting his lip.

"It's going to be a long season and I'm just going to stay patient like I've been the last seven years," he said. "Like I said I just want to try and be ready when it's my turn to play."

Would he start Thursday night in Ottawa?

"I don't know," said Toskala.

Maurice generally told the media last season who his starting goalie was, but he's changed his policy for this season.

"I think as a rule around the league you'll find they don't announce their starting goalie unless they have a clearly defined rotation," he said. "It'll be fairly consistent or completely consistent throughout the year - I'm not going to announce who the starting goalie is.

"That's the way we're going to do."

http://www.tsn.ca
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    With the T-man letting in first shots and soft goals, it is a good thing not to start him at home tonight. I don't think he'd get a warm reception if they went down 1-0 before the 2 minute mark of the first period.
    even flow? wrote:
    With the T-man letting in first shots and soft goals, it is a good thing not to start him at home tonight. I don't think he'd get a warm reception if they went down 1-0 before the 2 minute mark of the first period.

It is just funny though im listening to the Fan590 and man there are some crazy fucking Leafs fans, but i love it
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    I admit it, I have a cool hat that says 'Leafs Nation' on it. I'm not a Leafs fan in the least, but wear the hat all the time in the winter. I enjoy drinking LaBatts when I'm wearing that hat too. Just goes down smoother. Damn thank God for the start of the season!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,152
    I admit it, I have a cool hat that says 'Leafs Nation' on it. I'm not a Leafs fan in the least, but wear the hat all the time in the winter. I enjoy drinking LaBatts when I'm wearing that hat too. Just goes down smoother. Damn thank God for the start of the season!!!

Burn it immediately!!!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    even flow? wrote:

yeah I think this is why Raycroft is starting. Leaf fans, being the irrational, moody, whiners that they are, will certainly get on him when the Sens skate around the feeble Leafs defence and score 3 in the 1st tonight. Toskala is too fragile right now
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Tucker, Tucker, Tucker...

was brutal tonight
    0-1. And the countdown to missing the playoffs starts. :D
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Tucker, Tucker, Tucker...

was brutal tonight

Well, first time for everything!
    heatley kills them
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    heatley kills them

16 goals in 17 games as a Sen against the blue and white
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    16 goals in 17 games as a Sen against the blue and white

And he signed a big extension before the game. 6 yrs/$45 million I believe.
    Bad news for non-Sens fans (no shortage of us!)
    Senators Down Leafs In Overtime
    Scoresheet | Stats | Ulmer's Blog | Video | Photos

TORONTO -- Dany Heatley didn't take long to justify the Ottawa Senators' faith in him.

Heatley tied the score late in the third period and scored again 2:57 into overtime to give the Senators a 4-3 victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday night.

During the afternoon, he reached agreement with management on a US$45-million, six-year contract extension.

``It was nice, it was nice,'' he said of his big day. ``I had a couple of shots early and didn't get the shots through.

``It was nice to get a couple of chances in the third (and in overtime) and finish.''

Heatley ended the game by burying a wrist shot from the middle of Toronto's zone between the legs of goaltender Andrew Raycroft.

``I didn't see anything on that last goal,'' he said. ``(Mike) Fisher made a great play through traffic and I just tried to get it away as fast as I could and find a hole.''

The assist was Fisher's lone point of the night, but a huge one. He lauded Heatley's finishing touch.

Heatley came up big for us, obviously in the third period and overtime, and showed everybody why he's a 50-goal scorer,'' said Fisher.

Antoine Vermette and Daniel Alfredsson also scored for the Senators, who pulled out the win for John Paddock in his first game as head coach.

``We finally picked up in the third,'' said Paddock. ``We were pretty lackadaisical in the second.

``We have to play better than we did tonight in some aspects of the game, but we found a way to win, which this group has got used to doing. And I'm glad they did it tonight.''

He wasn't the least bit surprised that Heatley was the hero.

``That's what goal scorers are,'' he said. ``You saw Brett Hull many nights, you don't think he's got anything and all of sudden he gets two chances and he scores.

``That's Heater. They were both goal-scorer's goals.''

Ottawa improved to 4-0 in visits to Toronto for Leafs season openers.

Nik Antropov scored twice for the Leafs, making coach Paul Maurice's decision to give him a chance on the first line with Mats Sundin and Jason Blake a wise one. Matt Stajan supplied Toronto's other goal.

``I thought we played a pretty good hockey game,'' said Sundin. ``We did a lot of good things.

``I don't think there was one part of the game that we were outplayed or outmatched. We'll take the point.''

The teams square off again Thursday night in Ottawa (TSN, 7:30 p.m. ET).

Bagpipes and drums of the 48th Highlanders filled the arena with music as has been the case at every home opener since the opening of Maple Leaf Gardens on Nov. 12, 1931. The men in kilts exited playing The Maple Leaf Forever, which put the announced crowd of 19,496 in a good mood.

Vermette turned the smiles to frowns when he opened the scoring at 7:23. A burst of speed sent him past Tomas Kaberle and he fired a low wrist shot past Raycroft.

Antropov tied it at 10:39 when his pass from the side boards struck Chris Phillips' skate and ricocheted past goaltender Martin Gerber, Antropov scored again at 13:59 when he shot between Gerber's legs and Alfredsson made it 2-2 at 14:39 when his low wrist shot eluded Raycroft.

Leafs fourth-liner Kris Newbury fought Wade Redden late in the period.

The Leafs were outhitting and outshooting the Senators and, just as importantly, they were steering clear of the penalty box. Yet, to avoid falling behind again, they needed Raycroft to stop Chris Kelly on a breakaway in the fifth minute of the second period and to come up big during a two-man Ottawa advantage that lasted 65 seconds.

Stajan put Toronto up 3-2 at 15:44 of the second when he slapped a bullet past Gerber.

Redden left the ice a minute later with blood trickling down his face from a forehead cut after a fight with Bates Battaglia.

``That stuff doesn't go unnoticed,'' said Senators centre Jason Spezza. ``It gave us a jolt going into the third period, and it's fun when you see guys competing like that.''

The Senators picked up their play _ they'd outshoot the Leafs 12-4 in the third _ but Raycroft was solid.

Just when it seemed as if the Leafs might be able to run out the clock, Heatley struck. Andrej Meszaros fed him a cross-ice pass and he buried his shot in the open side of the net at 14:24.

It would be decided in overtime on the play generated by Fisher and finished by Heatley.

``I just threw (the puck) to him and somehow he corralled it and

got it away really quickly with a couple guys on him,'' said Fisher.

Heatley has haunted the Leafs throughout his career. In 25 games against them, he has 22 goals and 19 assists for 41 points.

As for the team's effort, ``We started out sluggish, but got better in the third period and obviously when the chips were down, we made it count,'' said Fisher.

Blake had an impressive outing in his first game with the Leafs. He picked up an assist on Antropov's first goal.

``We generated enough offence, except for our power play,'' said Maurice. ``Defensively, we have to be better.''

The crowd got on Raycroft after Ottawa's second goal.

``I thought the first two (goals) were tough,'' said Maurice. ``They were good shots but . . . clearly he was not loved (by the crowd) early but I think he did a really good job settling into the game, and after that I thought he was very good.''

Notes: On power plays, Ottawa was 0-for-4 and Toronto was 0-for-7. ... Mats Sundin picked up two assists to move within five points of Darryl Sittler's club-record 916. ... Redden hadn't been in a fight since the 2005-2006 season, and he was in only one that year. ... NHL commissioner Gary Bettman was in attendance. ... Joe Bowen, who has broadcast play-by-play of Leafs games for 25 years, was honoured in a pre-game ceremony. ... Blue Rodeo's Jim Cuddy sang the anthem. ... Wade Belak of the Leafs and Luke Richardson of the Senators were available healthy players who were scratched. ... The importance of a good start: the last 10 Stanley Cup champions had a combined October record of 78-17-14.

Canadian Press

http://www.mapleleafs.com
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    http://www.anotherverylongseason.ca - it ain't real

After a heartbreaking loss in overtime last night in Toronto. The Leafs must regroup for the second game in the back to back series with Ottawa. The Senators who jetted out immediately after the game to be home to wake up with their wives and spend some quality time before the morning skate. The Leafs lamented another loss while drinking to the wee hours of the morning in the dressing room as if they were a pick up team who didn't have to worry about another team needing the room. They will fly in to Ottawa after a morning skate tomorrow.

Toronto should be starting Toskola in net for game two to see if he is money well spent. Coach Maurice will be in a pickle for game three of the season if Toronto are to lose in Ottawa. This reporter thinks he should just name Raycroft heads and Toskola tails and flip a coin on game day to decide who gets to see the rubber come their way.

A good game from the number one line at the ACC. They filled the net twice in the first period to the delight of the fans. After scoring his second goal, we thought Antropov may have tweaked his knee in the celebration as he is prone to injury. Sundin still needing two goals to become the all time Leaf goal scorer tallied a couple of helpers. Blake looked like money in the bank as he was flying on the ice. Note to Raycroft: Close your pads when you see a shot coming towards the net.