Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

Comments

• NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    kenshunt wrote:
    Good Luck to the Rangers to, they prolly have one of the best teams on paper, but you never know what's gonna happen in an 82 game sched.

Here's my fantasy team what do u think lol.

1 17 Pronger, Chris D
    2 1 Crosby, Sidney C
    3 2 Thornton, Joe C
    4 3 Heatley, Dany RW
    5 4 Jagr, Jaromir RW
    6 5 Lecavalier, Vincent C
    7 6 Staal, Eric C
    8 7 Ovechkin, Alexander LW
    9 8 Spezza, Jason C
    10 9 Vanek, Thomas LW
    11 10 Gagne, Simon LW
    12 11 Cheechoo, Jonathan RW
    13 12 Savard, Marc C
    14 13 Souray, Sheldon D
    15 14 Gonchar, Sergei D
    16 15 Lidstrom, Nicklas D
    17 16 Kaberle, Tomas D
    18 18 Whitney, Ryan D
    19 19 Kiprusoff, Miikka G
    20 20 Fleury, Marc-Andre G

how the hell did u get that team ??? lol
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    how the hell did u get that team ??? lol

Actually i dunno if it's a fantasy team or what not, but me an about ten friends put in 20 bucks and had a draft of players and i so happened to win the first pick and i choose Crosby and i couldn't believe my luck after that, we had to pick 12 forwards 6 defense and 2 Goalies and we couldn't use the same players.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    Actually i dunno if it's a fantasy team or what not, but me an about ten friends put in 20 bucks and had a draft of players and i so happened to win the first pick and i choose Crosby and i couldn't believe my luck after that, we had to pick 12 forwards 6 defense and 2 Goalies and we couldn't use the same players.

crosby thorton jagr

u got 3 #1 picks ...good job

the leafs can use u in the front office ;)
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    crosby thorton jagr

u got 3 #1 picks ...good job

the leafs can use u in the front office ;)

Well anyone would be an upgrade over JFJ, yeah i got lucky that for some reason the goalies and a couple defense went early, maybe im just a little more smart then my friends on hockey, but time will tell.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    Well anyone would be an upgrade over JFJ, yeah i got lucky that for some reason the goalies and a couple defense went early, maybe im just a little more smart then my friends on hockey, but time will tell.

people have different draft theory's (sp)

but u got a good team
    Leafs' Bell to be reinstated today
    Mark Bell

Darren Dreger

10/2/2007 9:42:19 AM

Sources tell TSN Toronto Maple Leafs forward Mark Bell is expected to be reinstated today, ending his indefinite suspension after being placed into stage two of the NHL's substance abuse program last month.

Bell will now begin serving the additional 15 game suspension handed down by the National Hockey League and won't make his Maple Leafs debut until November 6th in Ottawa.

The suspension stems from a drunk driving incident in California last year. Bell will begin serving a six-month jail sentence at the end of the season.

In August, Bell pleaded no contest to drunk driving and hit and run charges and put into stage two of the NHL's substance abuse program.

The former member of the San Jose Sharks and Chicago Blackhawks has been training with the Maple Leafs during the indefinite suspension.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    kenshunt wrote:
    Leafs' Bell to be reinstated today
    Mark Bell

Darren Dreger

10/2/2007 9:42:19 AM

Sources tell TSN Toronto Maple Leafs forward Mark Bell is expected to be reinstated today, ending his indefinite suspension after being placed into stage two of the NHL's substance abuse program last month.

Bell will now begin serving the additional 15 game suspension handed down by the National Hockey League and won't make his Maple Leafs debut until November 6th in Ottawa.

The suspension stems from a drunk driving incident in California last year. Bell will begin serving a six-month jail sentence at the end of the season.

In August, Bell pleaded no contest to drunk driving and hit and run charges and put into stage two of the NHL's substance abuse program.

The former member of the San Jose Sharks and Chicago Blackhawks has been training with the Maple Leafs during the indefinite suspension.

I already said this in here today.
    Rygar wrote:
    I already said this in here today.

Wow can't believe i missed it in here, sorry i honestly thought nypj1 was the only one in here today.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    Wow can't believe i missed it in here, sorry i honestly thought nypj1 was the only one in here today.

I feel so ignored!
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Rygar wrote:
    I feel so ignored!

Go back to the Montreal thread you bum! :D
    You've changed your place in this world!
    even flow? wrote:
    Go back to the Montreal thread you bum! :D

Hey I was only joking!
    Honestly, if I wanted to post something someone would read, I wouldn't have posted it in the Leafs thread.

Hahaha!

I'm just kiddin Ken :P
    Rygar wrote:
    Hey I was only joking!
    Honestly, if I wanted to post something someone would read, I wouldn't have posted it in the Leafs thread.

Hahaha!

I'm just kiddin Ken :P

I read it and enjoyed the joke that came along with it.
    even flow? wrote:
    I read it and enjoyed the joke that came along with it.

Well why isn't there a Red Wings thread?
    Rygar wrote:
    Well why isn't there a Red Wings thread?

Because I don't follow hockey until the playoffs like I once did when I was younger. So living in the city of TO it is easy to keep up with the pace of the Laughs and comment on this thread. But it would be a stretch to throw the press clippings and comments from the the Wings as Ken does here and the NYC crowd do in their thread.

Plus not having cable only allows me for the CBC games and living where I do, you don't have to guess who the early games are on Saturdays.
    Id go for a Red Wings thread, id go for any original six to have a thread :)
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    even flow? wrote:

Lmao, well i wish i could say i remember those days. but since i was born in 78 i can't say i do.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    Puck Drops on Battle of Ontario TonightOct 3, 2007, 7:30 PM (ET)
    TV Information

Local start: 7:30 PM

National TV:
    TSN

It won't take long to determine if the Toronto Maple Leafs are an improved team.

They play eight of their first 10 games in Air Canada Centre, beginning with a visit by the powerful Ottawa Senators on tonight, and a good start is imperative if they want to make the playoffs after missing out two years in a row.

They lost five of their first seven home games last year and, considering that they were one point shy of qualifying for the post-season at the end of their schedule, the poor home-ice start had a big bearing on their ultimate fate.

Captain Mats Sundin doesn't want it to happen again.

``We want to make it known around the league that we're a tough team to play on home ice,'' Sundin said on the eve of the season opener. ``Last year we were slow out of the gate playing on home ice.

``If we want to be a playoff team this year we need to have a good home record. So it's going to be very important to have a good start this year.''

Sundin will centre Jason Blake and Nik Antropov on the first line.

Blake, coming off a 40-goal season with the New York Islanders, is the sparkplug of a winger Toronto has lacked on the top unit. He's rarin' to go.

``It's nice being the new guy on the block, the new guy on the line,'' he said, sweat dripping off his brow under the glare of camera lighting after practice. ``You always want to have a good first game just to get it under your belt and maybe feel a little more at ease.

``We've had a good training camp. I know the wins and losses aren't what we wanted but we learned a lot and we've got some systems in place. The guys are ready to go.''

Sundin and Blake are still searching for the chemistry necessary to make the two click completely, but he's hopeful.

``His speed and his goal-scoring ability is going to help our whole team,'' said Sundin.

The first-line assignment is a huge opportunity for Antropov. The oft-injured Kazakh scored a career-best 18 goals while healthy enough for only 54 games last season.

``They're still growing into what they can do,'' said head coach Paul Maurice.

Darcy Tucker, Chad Kilger and John Pohl have been skating together.

Matt Stajan, Alex Steen and Alexei Ponikarovsky are another possible combination, and Boyd Devereaux, Kris Newbury and Bates Battaglia can comprise a fourth line.

``We've got a good solid group of guys,'' said Tucker.

He doesn't expect anything to come easy, and organizational depth to offset the loss of injured players will be a key, he said.

``It's just a simple fact that every team is going to go through it and we have to find ways to make ourselves better to be a good playoff team when that time of year comes around,'' said Tucker.

Maurice has paired his two biggest defencemen, six-foot-seven Hall Gill and six-foot-four Andy Wozniewski. He has Bryan McCabe with Ian White and Pavel Kubina with Tomas Kaberle. Staffan Kronwall and Anton Stralman are the extra pair, with one likely sitting out Wednesday.

Maurice wouldn't say who he'd start in goal but Vesa Toskala is expected to get the nod over incumbent Andrew Raycroft. The Leafs did not trade draft picks to get Toskala and then hand him an US$8-million, two-year contract to sit on the end of the bench.

Forward Kyle Wellwood and defenceman Carlo Colaiacovo are on the injured list.

Forward Mark Bell also is unavailable due to his 15-game league suspension, which kicked in Wednesday after the league received assurances from doctors that he's satisfactorily completing a substance abuse and behavioural health program.

Toronto and Ottawa meet again Thursday in Canada's capital.

``It's a good gauge for us and we've got to be ready to go,'' Gill said of the first two games. ``Whether we win or lose, we have to keep getting better with every game but, hopefully, we can play well and get a couple of wins here.''

Maurice said he expects the back-to-back with Ottawa to feature ``very fast and, I expect, quite physical games.''

The futures with the team of Maurice and GM John Ferguson hinge on a playoff berth. That kind of pressure comes with the territory, said Maurice.

``This is professional sports,'' he said. ``You're not running at 45 per cent pressure at any point in time, or at 80 per cent.

``You're at 100 per cent and most people who are in this long enough are very good at the 100-per-cent line.''

The season opener is a fresh start for men who are blessed with the athletic abilities to earn a living and receive the adulation of fans while shooting a puck around.

``It's a lot of fun,'' said Tucker. ``I'm very fortunate and lucky to be able to play a game that is loved by many in Canada.

``It's a nice night when you walk into the ACC and it's the home opener.''

Canadian Press

http://www.mapleleafs.com
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    Puck Drops on Battle of Ontario TonightOct 3, 2007, 7:30 PM (ET)
    TV Information

Local start: 7:30 PM

National TV:
    TSN

It won't take long to determine if the Toronto Maple Leafs are an improved team.

They play eight of their first 10 games in Air Canada Centre, beginning with a visit by the powerful Ottawa Senators on tonight, and a good start is imperative if they want to make the playoffs after missing out two years in a row.

They lost five of their first seven home games last year and, considering that they were one point shy of qualifying for the post-season at the end of their schedule, the poor home-ice start had a big bearing on their ultimate fate.

Captain Mats Sundin doesn't want it to happen again.

``We want to make it known around the league that we're a tough team to play on home ice,'' Sundin said on the eve of the season opener. ``Last year we were slow out of the gate playing on home ice.

``If we want to be a playoff team this year we need to have a good home record. So it's going to be very important to have a good start this year.''

Sundin will centre Jason Blake and Nik Antropov on the first line.

Blake, coming off a 40-goal season with the New York Islanders, is the sparkplug of a winger Toronto has lacked on the top unit. He's rarin' to go.

``It's nice being the new guy on the block, the new guy on the line,'' he said, sweat dripping off his brow under the glare of camera lighting after practice. ``You always want to have a good first game just to get it under your belt and maybe feel a little more at ease.

``We've had a good training camp. I know the wins and losses aren't what we wanted but we learned a lot and we've got some systems in place. The guys are ready to go.''

Sundin and Blake are still searching for the chemistry necessary to make the two click completely, but he's hopeful.

``His speed and his goal-scoring ability is going to help our whole team,'' said Sundin.

The first-line assignment is a huge opportunity for Antropov. The oft-injured Kazakh scored a career-best 18 goals while healthy enough for only 54 games last season.

``They're still growing into what they can do,'' said head coach Paul Maurice.

Darcy Tucker, Chad Kilger and John Pohl have been skating together.

Matt Stajan, Alex Steen and Alexei Ponikarovsky are another possible combination, and Boyd Devereaux, Kris Newbury and Bates Battaglia can comprise a fourth line.

``We've got a good solid group of guys,'' said Tucker.

He doesn't expect anything to come easy, and organizational depth to offset the loss of injured players will be a key, he said.

``It's just a simple fact that every team is going to go through it and we have to find ways to make ourselves better to be a good playoff team when that time of year comes around,'' said Tucker.

Maurice has paired his two biggest defencemen, six-foot-seven Hall Gill and six-foot-four Andy Wozniewski. He has Bryan McCabe with Ian White and Pavel Kubina with Tomas Kaberle. Staffan Kronwall and Anton Stralman are the extra pair, with one likely sitting out Wednesday.

Maurice wouldn't say who he'd start in goal but Vesa Toskala is expected to get the nod over incumbent Andrew Raycroft. The Leafs did not trade draft picks to get Toskala and then hand him an US$8-million, two-year contract to sit on the end of the bench.

Forward Kyle Wellwood and defenceman Carlo Colaiacovo are on the injured list.

Forward Mark Bell also is unavailable due to his 15-game league suspension, which kicked in Wednesday after the league received assurances from doctors that he's satisfactorily completing a substance abuse and behavioural health program.

Toronto and Ottawa meet again Thursday in Canada's capital.

``It's a good gauge for us and we've got to be ready to go,'' Gill said of the first two games. ``Whether we win or lose, we have to keep getting better with every game but, hopefully, we can play well and get a couple of wins here.''

Maurice said he expects the back-to-back with Ottawa to feature ``very fast and, I expect, quite physical games.''

The futures with the team of Maurice and GM John Ferguson hinge on a playoff berth. That kind of pressure comes with the territory, said Maurice.

``This is professional sports,'' he said. ``You're not running at 45 per cent pressure at any point in time, or at 80 per cent.

``You're at 100 per cent and most people who are in this long enough are very good at the 100-per-cent line.''

The season opener is a fresh start for men who are blessed with the athletic abilities to earn a living and receive the adulation of fans while shooting a puck around.

``It's a lot of fun,'' said Tucker. ``I'm very fortunate and lucky to be able to play a game that is loved by many in Canada.

``It's a nice night when you walk into the ACC and it's the home opener.''

Canadian Press

Argh post the link not the article :P
    Rygar wrote:
    Argh post the link not the article :P

I put the link up
    :)
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    I put the link up
    :)

JUST the link, with maybe a brief description!
    You Laffs fans are even more longwinded than the Rags thread!

edit - in reply to the article, I love how it starts with a 'won't take long to determine if the leafs are a new team' but when voskola and raycroft and whoever else were letting the pucks in the net like a circus act during the pre-season everything was all doom and gloom, no playoffs, woe is me, etc, etc, etc.
    And I hate CBC.
    the nhl package is ordered ,, i will be watching :)
    Rygar wrote:
    JUST the link, with maybe a brief description!
    You Laffs fans are even more longwinded than the Rags thread!

edit - in reply to the article, I love how it starts with a 'won't take long to determine if the leafs are a new team' but when voskola and raycroft and whoever else were letting the pucks in the net like a circus act during the pre-season everything was all doom and gloom, no playoffs, woe is me, etc, etc, etc.
    And I hate CBC.

Why do u hate CBC, are u stuck watching Leafs games on a Saturday night ?
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    Why do u hate CBC, are u stuck watching Leafs games on a Saturday night ?

You got it.
    I have two french channels and neither is RDS (had RDS this time last year though, but have since moved...)
    CBC said they were going to show less Leafs games this year but that bs just means they're going to show more Ottawa games instead....
    It would be nice to see Sundin score two goals tonight at home.
    even flow? wrote:

On his own net...
    Rygar wrote:
    You got it.
    I have two french channels and neither is RDS (had RDS this time last year though, but have since moved...)
    CBC said they were going to show less Leafs games this year but that bs just means they're going to show more Ottawa games instead....

Well im happy, i get only Leafs games on Saturday's, and if they try and pull a stunt i got all the CBC channels on my digital box
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    Well im happy, i get only Leafs games on Saturday's, and if they try and pull a stunt i got all the CBC channels on my digital box

They black the other channels' coverage out for games here and override what they say is on with what the other channel is showing anyway. Stoopid CBC.
    even flow? wrote:

I would just like a simple win, but if Kaberle can get a few assists it could help out my hockey pool.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    Rygar wrote:
    On his own net...

They have the denfense to do that. :)

Just incase you don't know. He couldn't pot one in the last twenty games to tie the Leaf record for most goals by a player. And since they are at home tonight it would be nice to see him pot two.

And lose 8-2. :)