Smart or handy

12346»

Comments

• TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    i like painting and putting things together but not building houses and fixing things that are broken
    You'll do. :)
    Besides we already know you are wicked smart.
    :)
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • ya but im losing brain cells by the multiples
    gotta go to class (international finance) yaaa sounds smart but its a joke
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
    ya but im losing brain cells by the multiples
    gotta go to class (international finance) yaaa sounds smart but its a joke
    Stop burning.....
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Not so odd.
    What is cool is Jeanie's big rolling toolbox!
    But that is my real toolbox...my work makeup box. The picture on my space that everyone comments on. lol

My tool box is very cool! :cool: And it's got all the little bits and bobs in it I need! My brother did give me shit about wanting such a big one and not being able to lift it, but that's the beauty of the castors! :D

AND even better, the top part of it, which is a complete tool box, detaches from the bottom section which has extra storage and the castors. :D

I just wish I had a tool shed now, coz my drill doesn't fit in it!

I think I'd like it better if it was pink though! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    My tool box is very cool! :cool: And it's got all the little bits and bobs in it I need! My brother did give me shit about wanting such a big one and not being able to lift it, but that's the beauty of the castors! :D

AND even better, the top part of it, which is a complete tool box, detaches from the bottom section which has extra storage and the castors. :D

I just wish I had a tool shed now, coz my drill doesn't fit in it!

I think I'd like it better if it was pink though! :D
    You are so funny! A tool shed....lol
    I bought the husband one of those huge rolling red ones....it has flashlights in it.
    I am joking everyone...lol
    TrixieCat wrote:
    You are so funny! A tool shed....lol
    I bought the husband one of those huge rolling red ones....it has flashlights in it.
    I am joking everyone...lol

When I was a kid growing up, I was a bit like chiqui, I spent a fair bit of time with my Grandad in his garage. He had all kinds of really cool tools in there and we used to make stuff together. Hammering and sawing and nailing and painting. All kinds of handy stuff. Odd jobs. Repairs. Then I went on to tech and did sheet metal and woodwork and plastics. AND then when I was at Uni a few years back we would make giant sets and props for our productions so I got back into it a bit. Lately my brother has been building an extension on his house so we've all been hammering away together. The whole family. And if I ever want tools and general "boy stuff" I just go up to Nan's and take a look in Grumpy's garage. It's still all there and I can borrow stuff anytime I like or build things in there if I want. And the best part about Grumpy's Workshop is that he has the peg board with the outlines for all his tools, and they're all lined up neat in size order. So you can just walk in and see exactly what you need! I mean my tool box is cool, but that Workshop is like wonderland in comparison! :D

Guess I really don't need a handy guy! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie!!! What a sweet story! :)
    I grew up next door to my Great Uncle John...his garage was alot like Grumpy's. Except with a fridge full of beer and a bunch of Polish guys sitting in it. :)
  • My Dad was like your "Grumpy" Jeanie, I miss him. He could fix anything and everything. His garage was like a miniature hardware store plus some. He had some of the most odd items in their. Elevator weights come to mind. :)

Now my husband, he is the complete opposite. Doesn't fix anything. I've never gotten used to that.
    "When you're climbing to the top, you'd better know the way back down" MSB
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Jeanie!!! What a sweet story! : )
    I grew up next door to my Great Uncle John...his garage was alot like Grumpy's. Except with a fridge full of beer and a bunch of Polish guys sitting in it. : )

It's one of my favorite spots still Trix! When I go in there I can smell him I think, just get overwhelmed by his presence. It's a great spot if I'm feeling blue or missing him! I suspect that Grumpy woulda had beer in his garage, except that he was a pretty heavy drinker after WW2 and a smoker too, but he just gave it up one day when the doctor told him. Cold turkey on both! The glass of beer that he used have sitting beside him in his chair became a glass of sarsparilly! ;) And the smoking stopped! So no beer in the garage by the time I was old enough to "work" in there.

HOW cool to have your Great Uncle next door! My Grumpy and Nan lived across the road from my Great Grandparents (Nan's parents) Nan and Pa. Pa had a really cool shed too and if I went to visit we would go in there and get the fish food to feed all the beautiful fish in the fish pond, or just to get me a fruit pastille! :D It was always really cool and calm in Pa's shed, smelt a lot more like paint ( he was a housepainter and signwriter) and the radio was often on with the geegee's on! :D
    I love how as a kid, even as a girl, you're allowed into the inner sanctum of a man's shed! Luckily for me I was still invited as I got older coz mostly it was NO GIRLS ALLOWED! :D

I must find that ad on youtube if I can. It's a beer ad I think, all the blokes telling their wives they'll be "down the shed" and they all converge on the shed at the bottom of their gardens that just happen to be joined and once they get past the "fake" dusty worshop bit it's all wide screen tv, pool tables, juke boxes and beer fridge! :D Love it!
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    My Dad was like your "Grumpy" Jeanie, I miss him. He could fix anything and everything. His garage was like a miniature hardware store plus some. He had some of the most odd items in their. Elevator weights come to mind. :)

Now my husband, he is the complete opposite. Doesn't fix anything. I've never gotten used to that.

:D That's so cool MS! You would miss him! I know I miss Grumpy STILL and he's been dead 8 years! I love some of the stuff they collect in there! Grumpy had this HUGE collection of clamps ranging from little ones to big ones! I mean what's that about anyway? And leather punches! The old kind! And those big metal shoe anvil thingies that you could repair shoes on!! :confused: He even had an bench grinder!! I mean who really needs an bench grinder???

Luckily my Dad seems to have picked up a few little Mr Fixit traits from Grumpy which has been really cool if I've needed help making props for shows and stuff. Years back I was playing Madonna in a show, The Blonde Ambition Madonna with the man suits and the gold bra and the monacle. I couldn't find a monacle anywhere, and the only one I did find was uber expensive, so Dad helped me make one from a bit of old dowel and a curtain ring which we then painted gold and hooked a piece of chain to with a eye hook so I could pin it to my suit! :D I love that thing still! Treat it like it's a very precious metal or something!

That's a bugger about hubby! I don't know that I could get used to it either. I mean I want a smart guy but a little handy doesn't hurt! ;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    I need to give props to my smart, not handy husband.

We moved to NYC from a big house, so I've been struggling with storage space. I got the idea from a magazine to use over-the-door shoe pockets for a lot of things other than shoes.

EXCEPT: our doors are almost 3 inches thick and what I had bought didn't work. So I bought extensions, but the thing got heavy and the doors would not close.

Well, he figured out that by turning the thing over to the other side of the door some kind of thinner part of the door is in the right place so that the door now closes.

He said it's the idea he's most proud of ever having had. And it's funny cause he is a pretty prominent academic :D
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • This thread is still around?! NICE! LOL!!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• meme wrote:
    I need to give props to my smart, not handy husband.

We moved to NYC from a big house, so I've been struggling with storage space. I got the idea from a magazine to use over-the-door shoe pockets for a lot of things other than shoes.

EXCEPT: our doors are almost 3 inches thick and what I had bought didn't work. So I bought extensions, but the thing got heavy and the doors would not close.

Well, he figured out that by turning the thing over to the other side of the door some kind of thinner part of the door is in the right place so that the door now closes.

He said it's the idea he's most proud of ever having had. And it's funny cause he is a pretty prominent academic :D
    Well without the minds of physics and engineers, handymen wouldn't be able to do their crafts. It all goes together I suppose.
    "When you're climbing to the top, you'd better know the way back down" MSB
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Hey, Trix...for old-time's sake!! :D

And...you know EXACTLY why.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i need a smart guy. if i cant hold a conversation with you, then what good are you to me outside the bedroom? :p:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I can fix things around the house, so that isn't a necessity to me...altho' it's pretty sad when a dude doesnt know how to hammer a nail in.

and I DID NOT mean that in any dirrrty way.

oh dear. i know a guy that couldn't screw the barbeque together so he ended up nailing it together instead.
    Hey, Trix...for old-time's sake!! :D

And...you know EXACTLY why.
    Oh lord...is it cloths again????? lololololololol
    I loved this thread.
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,874
    I can fix things around the house, so that isn't a necessity to me...altho' it's pretty sad when a dude doesnt know how to hammer a nail in.

and I DID NOT mean that in any dirrrty way.

oh dear. i know a guy that couldn't screw the barbeque together so he ended up nailing it together instead.

sounds tasty!
  • I'm extremely fortunate that I have both. My boyfriend is the smartest person I know, seriously. I mean he just knows so much about everything. He's a nerd, won't lie but so am I.

But he's a macho nerd as I like to say. He's very handy and can fix just about anything.

However, given a choice...I'd have to say smarts over handy. Because you can't always have a conversation with "handy" all of the time but you can converse endlessly with one who has their wits about them.

That's just my personal preference though.
    05/19/06 Grand Rapids, MI
    05/07/10 Noblesville, IN
    09/03/11 Alpine Valley, WI
    09/04/11 Alpine Valley, WI
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    My man's gotten to be really handy and is a talented musician... but lacks the smarts to keep me intellectually stimulated. It's quite frustrating that I have to go talk to his friends for an intelligent conversation...
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,874
    Jeanwah wrote:
    My man's gotten to be really handy and is a talented musician... but lacks the smarts to keep me intellectually stimulated. It's quite frustrating that I have to go talk to his friends for an intelligent conversation...

great point by you... someone smart could learn to be handy

or if they're smart and employed enough then they can just pay the handy guy ;)

although your point about stimulation has me wondering what my ball and chain would say... i'm smart enough but we have a lot of varied interests... if she has politics or housewives of whatever on the tv then i leave the room

hmmmmm
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Smart is essential all the way for me.
    I can pay someone to be handy but I can't pay someone to be smart.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    Can I vote funny as hell, and the taller than me the better?

If not, I vote smart.
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Carey wrote:
    Can I vote funny as hell, and the taller than me the better?

If not, I vote smart.
    and if u add Greek too,we are good to go..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i can hold a conversation and i can fix things.... did i pass the test?