Options

what does this saying mean to you?

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    gue_barium wrote:
    "Nice guys finish last."

I've never really been able to fathom the logic behind this old saying.

defeatism and lack of confidence. It's a cop out.

It's admitting failure or trying to some how feel better about yourself after some woman has ruined your confidence. You have to rise above that crap, realize what you have and who you are and go find the next one. Guys that seemingly get lots of women get rejected constantly they just shrug it off and go on to the next one. Nice Guys Finish Last means you put too many eggs in one basket. Never compromise who you are, simply be confident in yourself and your abilities and eventually you will succede. It took me a lot of time to figure that shit out.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I hear it mainly it sport and it berates the fact that you would have to get rutless to win
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,697
    This expression reminds me of Jeff. He's the guy that would walk away, if his "friend saw you first".

He's probably so damn nice that he'd listen to my apology for dissing him by minimizing how terrific I think his is.
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Usually the nice guys are the ones that get shit on

Or the ones that dont get the girl, they'd rather go for the asshole rather then the nice guy

what he said^

In my experience I find it's true.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    gue_barium wrote:
    "Nice guys finish last."

I've never really been able to fathom the logic behind this old saying.

I think it means that if you are a nice guy you will lose out because the creeps of the world are faster and more into winning than us nice guys who would bump into people and stop to say, "I'm sorry"...........

That expression is most often said after someone screws you over and you are bitter. Still, I think that "nice guys finish last" because we are still alive in the end. Hopefully all of the assholes in the world will die out first on their own poison............
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    writersu wrote:
    I think it means that if you are a nice guy you will lose out because the creeps of the world are faster and more into winning than us nice guys who would bump into people and stop to say, "I'm sorry"...........

That expression is most often said after someone screws you over and you are bitter. Still, I think that "nice guys finish last" because we are still alive in the end. Hopefully all of the assholes in the world will die out first on their own poison............

well said...
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    girls are silly, they go for the asshole every time. They

have sex with you then break your heart. Oh, girls when will you learn? Give a nice guy a break, eh
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

have sex with you then break your heart. Oh, girls when will you learn? Give a nice guy a break, eh

why do guys keep confusing sex with love?
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    why do guys keep confusing sex with love?

Mother withheld affection?

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867

Bad guys are better in bed, nice guys are usually better to marry.

Good for you to all of the girls who can get both..........
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Ok...I thought about this today.
    I don't think it has to do with only men having their hearts ripped out by some girl that wants to be with a jerk.
    I think it has more to do with not being assertive and standing up for yourself. Not being the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.
    You can either be passive and let the world pass you buy or you can grab the bull by the horns.
    Just my thoughts.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    You're all onto it, ..Cory Flanders would say..'the meek shall inherit the earth'. Thing is, if you want something,..you have to grit your teeth, be a bit nasty and take it..nice guys have trouble doing that. When I was plaing semi-serious football, I found with experience I had to almost alter my mind state for certain games...I had to become something I wasn't usually, I had to become nasty, mean, thoughtless, selfish..otherwise, if you're polite and kind..the bad guys knock you out of the way, and take the prize...or the girl, whichever way you look at it.

Make sense??? Didn't think so.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    You're all onto it, ..Cory Flanders would say..'the meek shall inherit the earth'. Thing is, if you want something,..you have to grit your teeth, be a bit nasty and take it..nice guys have trouble doing that. When I was plaing semi-serious football, I found with experience I had to almost alter my mind state for certain games...I had to become something I wasn't usually, I had to become nasty, mean, thoughtless, selfish..otherwise, if you're polite and kind..the bad guys knock you out of the way, and take the prize...or the girl, whichever way you look at it.

Make sense??? Didn't think so.
    You are making some sense there Jamie. Aggressive doesn't always mean nasty. But I don't think that is what you meant.
    I guess it is different for different events.
    Times it is ok to be nasty/aggressive:
    playing footie
    someone gets on your case in a parking lot

Times to be aggessive:
    going for a job or client
    going after a guy/girl

A mentor of mine told me years ago that if you are not going to do it, someone will.
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Ok...I thought about this today.
    I don't think it has to do with only men having their hearts ripped out by some girl that wants to be with a jerk.
    I think it has more to do with not being assertive and standing up for yourself. Not being the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.
    You can either be passive and let the world pass you buy or you can grab the bull by the horns.
    Just my thoughts.

aha! apparently I should be grabbing a bull by the horns instead of his balls? what didn't someone tell me this sooner? ;):o
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    I never got it either.....good call.

I think it means, that two guys are in a race. The friendlier guy stops to drink some lemonade, whilst creating a rapport with the onlookers/drink-giving-outers. He was friendly.......he was nice.

He finished last.

duh.
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    prism wrote:
    aha! apparently I should be grabbing a bull by the horns instead of his balls? what didn't someone tell me this sooner? ;):o
    :p
    Yes, Prism..horns good, balls bad.
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    Is that true, though, or is that just coming from somebody's bitterness?

I think its true but is also from bitterness from A LOT of nice guys. It's a bit unfair on them I know.

I mean I know one guy who is perfectly nice, earns a lot, has good conversation, solvent, has own car and hair, but he can never get a girlfriend. I don't know why but maybe it's because he is slightly "boring".

But when I say boring I don't mean boring as in boring personality, I mean boring as in he doesn't fire a girl's imagination. A boring persona maybe? I think that's the problem with nice guys. You can imagine them paying all the bills on time and driving carefully, and treating you right as well (which counts for a lot). But you can't see him being spontaneous, taking you roughly up against a wall or something lol.

It's a sad but true fact that nice men don't satisfy a girl's "inner cave girl" need for a bit of action sometimes. Take Eddie for example. He's definitely someone who you can see is a nice person but is not a "nice guy". He has a mean and moody side and you just don't know what he's thinking, or what he's going to do next. He's not predictable, (even though in reality he could be). He just doesn't come across that way. It's not in his "persona".

I don't know if I'm answering the question right or anything, it's just my take on it as a female who is often attracted to "bad guys" - which is not a good thing btw. I hope I grow out of it soon!
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    I think its true but is also from bitterness from A LOT of nice guys. It's a bit unfair on them I know.

I mean I know one guy who is perfectly nice, earns a lot, has good conversation, solvent, has own car and hair, but he can never get a girlfriend. I don't know why but maybe it's because he is slightly "boring".

But when I say boring I don't mean boring as in boring personality, I mean boring as in he doesn't fire a girl's imagination. A boring persona maybe? I think that's the problem with nice guys. You can imagine them paying all the bills on time and driving carefully, and treating you right as well (which counts for a lot). But you can't see him being spontaneous, taking you roughly up against a wall or something lol.

It's a sad but true fact that nice men don't satisfy a girl's "inner cave girl" need for a bit of action sometimes. Take Eddie for example. He's definitely someone who you can see is a nice person but is not a "nice guy". He has a mean and moody side and you just don't know what he's thinking, or what he's going to do next. He's not predictable, (even though in reality he could be). He just doesn't come across that way. It's not in his "persona".

I don't know if I'm answering the question right or anything, it's just my take on it as a female who is often attracted to "bad guys" - which is not a good thing btw. I hope I grow out of it soon!
    hmm... no that may be a good description! Cos even though I want a nice guy, I still want excitement in my life... and spontanaeity is definitely underrated. I don't want to find someone who's JUST looking for the wife, house and kids. I want someone to have fun with and be adventurous... and I don't see that in sitting in watching dvd's on a Friday night or saving up for college funds :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    i went up to the same girl and said, "hey this friday, wear something nice about 7pm, we're going out to eat at xyz place" there was nothing from her but a big smile and an ok. i wasnt rude to her but i wasnt exactly nice. there was a lot more of me not really paying attention when she was talking. looking at another girl that walked by. no please, or thank you's to anyone helping us when we went out to eat or went to the movies (my picks). we generally did what i wanted to. the chemistry between us was almost instantly better. until i found out that her life ambition was to be a female body builder and be a triathlete. i mean really, fuck that.

This is exactly what I was talking about, lol!
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    Nice guys finish first...after college. The bitchy women gotta whore around with the assholes first...then when they're left all alone and vulnerable, they get with the nice guy they should have been with all along.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    Nice guys finish first...after college. The bitchy women gotta whore around with the assholes first...then when they're left all alone and vulnerable, they get with the nice guy they should have been with all along.
    so ya reckon the bitchy women shoulda been with the nice guys? :confused: nope, when everyone grows up, the nice people find eachother.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    so ya reckon the bitchy women shoulda been with the nice guys? :confused: nope, when everyone grows up, the nice people find eachother.

I'm hoping I'll meet someone 'nice' some day.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Not everyone grows up.

You probably have. But they usually already have a partner.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    You will, of course you will :)

audiodave, that's true... could be why I'm still single :) although I'm not entirely sure I fall under the 'nice' category anyway :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

you've met me :) i'm nice
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    you've met me :) i'm nice

I meant EXCEPT you, Dunk. We have an open relationship, remember? You said you liked swinging.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options

well said. that goes both ways too. cos i hear nice girls complain about getting dumped for bitches and it's for the same reaons. like the perfectly sweet girl i've got now, who is just plain kinda boring.
  • Options

I think it means, that two guys are in a race. The friendlier guy stops to drink some lemonade, whilst creating a rapport with the onlookers/drink-giving-outers. He was friendly.......he was nice.

He finished last.

duh.
    wow. no one is with me on this?
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    wow. no one is with me on this?

no.
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222

He finished last.

duh.

i'm not either, but i do like your imagination, and your weird train of thought. :)