Options

what does this saying mean to you?

gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
"Nice guys finish last."

I've never really been able to fathom the logic behind this old saying.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Usually the nice guys are the ones that get shit on

Or the ones that dont get the girl, they'd rather go for the asshole rather then the nice guy
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    Usually the nice guys are the ones that get shit on

Or the ones that dont get the girl, they'd rather go for the asshole rather then the nice guy

Is that true, though, or is that just coming from somebody's bitterness?

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    Is that true, though, or is that just coming from somebody's bitterness?

I think its true

Its happened with plenty of my friends

• Options
    I think it goes both ways as welll with guys and girls

• Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Isn't it part of that cultural thing that winning is everything?
    That there is nothing more important than winning?
    And that whatever is takes to win is acceptable?

My take has always been that it's the idea that if you're nice then you can't win and will always finish last, but I guess that would depend on what your definition of winning and losing is.

To my way of thinking if you're a nice guy you're already winning.

I've always been much more an advocate of:

It's not whether you win or lose but how you play the game that counts.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    I dunno. I still don't get it.

• Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    Isn't it part of that cultural thing that winning is everything?
    That there is nothing more important than winning?
    And that whatever is takes to win is acceptable?

My take has always been that it's the idea that if you're nice then you can't win and will always finish last, but I guess that would depend on what your definition of winning and losing is.

To my way of thinking if you're a nice guy you're already winning.

I've always been much more an advocate of:

It's not whether you win or lose but how you play the game that counts.

"I'm sorry. It's just that I've never seen people celebrate mediocrity the way you do." :D

I agree with that also win at all cost is another way of saying it

If you're not aggressive enough in relationships or your job you may finish "last"

• Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    "Nice guys finish last."

I've never really been able to fathom the logic behind this old saying.

To me, it means that nice people don't compromise their niceness to get ahead...and, sadly, they suffer for it.

I do think it's true in a lot of situations. But, I'd rather be nice than "successful", if I have to choose between the two.
  • Options
    "I'm sorry. It's just that I've never seen people celebrate mediocrity the way you do." :D

I agree with that also win at all cost is another way of saying it

If you're not aggressive enough in relationships or your job you may finish "last"

OH I LOVE THAT!!!! :D Where is it from????

I'm happy with last. At least I can cry myself to sleep at night knowing I'm not treading on people! ;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    OH I LOVE THAT!!!! :D Where is it from????

I'm happy with last. At least I can cry myself to sleep at night knowing I'm not treading on people! ;)

Its from........MEET THE FOCKERS :D

He's showing off all his last place ribbons..LoL

• Options
    Its from........MEET THE FOCKERS :D

He's showing off all his last place ribbons..LoL

Aha! :D I thought I'd heard it recently! They had it on the tele here the other week. That was a brilliant scene! :D

Don't forget the participation awards! ;) Those things are priceless! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,329
    it's just a dumb old saying.

Like 'early to bed and early to rise...'
    or
    'an apple a day keeps the doctor away'. (no, it doesn't, it just helps you poop.)
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    or
    'an apple a day keeps the doctor away'. (no, it doesn't, it just helps you poop.)

I do not think you have ever really eaten an apple a day for a good consecutive period of time...You're not giving it a chance man, you believe the apple is nothing more than a lowly fruit on the fruit totem pole of nutrition...how dare you.
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    I do not think you have ever really eaten an apple a day for a good consecutive period of time...You're not giving it a chance man, you believe the apple is nothing more than a lowly fruit on the fruit totem pole of nutrition...how dare you.

:D

I love apples and I do eat them almost every day. I dip the unpeeled wedges in 2 TBS of almond butter so maybe the AB keeps the doctor away?
  • Options
    i dont think its a dumb saying.
    i think its true.

if two people get bad service at a restaraunt and one is a loud obnoxious jerk and demands it get taken care of and the other person says, "excuse me miss, but i would like this please taken care of"

who gets served first?

and in relationships especially, the girl will 99% of the time go for the jerk.

i once was going after this girl with the usualy way i am. treating her well. i wrote poetry. i knew her favorite color, favorite beer, favorite song, etc...
    we got along very well. we could talk for hours. then i got the you're such a good friend i could never think of you that way.

then some crappy stuff happened in my life and i was in a "fuck the world" mood for like 6months.

i went up to the same girl and said, "hey this friday, wear something nice about 7pm, we're going out to eat at xyz place" there was nothing from her but a big smile and an ok. i wasnt rude to her but i wasnt exactly nice. there was a lot more of me not really paying attention when she was talking. looking at another girl that walked by. no please, or thank you's to anyone helping us when we went out to eat or went to the movies (my picks). we generally did what i wanted to. the chemistry between us was almost instantly better. until i found out that her life ambition was to be a female body builder and be a triathlete. i mean really, fuck that.
    mean people suck!
    but nice people sw****w

• Options
    i think its true.

if two people get bad service at a restaraunt and one is a loud obnoxious jerk and demands it get taken care of and the other person says, "excuse me miss, but i would like this please taken care of"

who gets served first?

i once was going after this girl with the usualy way i am. treating her well. i wrote poetry. i knew her favorite color, favorite beer, favorite song, etc...
    we got along very well. we could talk for hours. then i got the you're such a good friend i could never think of you that way.

then some crappy stuff happened in my life and i was in a "fuck the world" mood for like 6months.

i went up to the same girl and said, "hey this friday, wear something nice about 7pm, we're going out to eat at xyz place" there was nothing from her but a big smile and an ok. i wasnt rude to her but i wasnt exactly nice. there was a lot more of me not really paying attention when she was talking. looking at another girl that walked by. no please, or thank you's to anyone helping us when we went out to eat or went to the movies (my picks). we generally did what i wanted to. the chemistry between us was almost instantly better. until i found out that her life ambition was to be a female body builder and be a triathlete. i mean really, fuck that.

that's a sad story and I can see how you would feel "nice guys finish last" but I still say that it's an homage to an old saying. It doesn't mean squat.
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    that's a sad story and I can see how you would feel "nice guys finish last" but I still say that it's an homage to an old saying. It doesn't mean squat.

oh it wasnt that sad, I actually saw some humour there. She wanted to be a female body builder and I said fuck that.....thats awesome.
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    To me, it means that nice people don't compromise their niceness to get ahead...and, sadly, they suffer for it.

I do think it's true in a lot of situations. But, I'd rather be nice than "successful", if I have to choose between the two.
    Now this kind of makes sense to me.
    How do you define "niceness?" How does one defne "success?" Is a nice person "successful" just by being nice?

Most people here are relating to the guy that gets lost in the shuffle of the dating game, and I suppose that's sort of how I think of it, too, in the way I've heard it over the years... On the other hand, there's the nice guy who's been with over 200 women sexually... how does one say that's he's really a nice guy?

Or is that a different category of "nice?"

• Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    Now this kind of makes sense to me.
    How do you define "niceness?" How does one defne "success?" Is a nice person "successful" just by being nice?

Most people here are relating to the guy that gets lost in the shuffle of the dating game, and I suppose that's sort of how I think of it, too, in the way I've heard it over the years... On the other hand, there's the nice guy who's been with over 200 women sexually... how does one say that's he's really a nice guy?

Or is that a different category of "nice?"
    have the nice guy thats slept with 200 women come over my house. me, him, the easter bunny, and santa clause will have a poker game. and you know who'd win? me. why? cause the rest are "figments of your fucking imagination"
    mean people suck!
    but nice people sw****w

• Options
    have the nice guy thats slept with 200 women come over my house. me, him, the easter bunny, and santa clause will have a poker game. and you know who'd win? me. why? cause the rest are "figments of your fucking imagination"
    The easter bunny has spoken. In a "nice" easter bunny jealous rage.

• Options
    actually it was supposed to be a more "kevin smith" rage.
    mean people suck!
    but nice people sw****w

• Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    The easter bunny has spoken. In a "nice" easter bunny jealous rage.

Q: Really?
    A: Really what?
    Q: the 200 thing...
    A: well, it wasn't my imagination.
    Q: That's not what I meant.
    A: What did you mean?
    Q: I meant, do you feign to believe that the easter bunny is upset with that figure? Not so much what the figure represents...
    A: I think he's expressing it represents BS in which case I find it hard to believe a bunny would think 200 partners hard to come by.
    Q: C'mon.
    A: C'mon what? There aren't people in America who have had 200 partners? Or more?
    Q: Well, of course there are.
    A: Really?

• Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440

what if you're related to that nice manwhore?

*disclaimer: I have no problem calling him an asshole for the way that he treats women
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    prism wrote:
    what if you're related to that nice manwhore?

*disclaimer: I have no problem calling him an asshole for the way that he treats women
    Who are you talking about?

• Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    Who are you talking about?

my brother.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    prism wrote:
    my brother.
    He's a slut.

• Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    He's a slut.

no shit. in one weekend he had eleven chicks trying to hook up with him...I had to take the phone calls
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    It basically means nice guys are boring and usually push overs at times of conflict. Replace finish last with wimpy and boring.

It's a loose association that fits overall due to the fact that women are swayed by alpha type dominant personalities.

Evolutionary trait courtesy of natural selection.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options

EXACTLY! And I also think that many guys who come last automatically place themselves in the 'nice' basket and presume that's why they come last. I also think that some people confuse 'nice' for 'well I've nothing else going for me so I MUST be nice' OR the kinda guy who doesn't know how to act with women... so they may finish 'last' just because he hasn't managed to convey his niceness and the girl's not bloody psychic.

I think I'm nice :D but I don't blame my single status on the fact that I'm nice :rolleyes: just haven't met the right person yet.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    i think its true.

who gets served first?

dude... female body builder? She wasn't into you cos she's a lesbian :cool:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you