Boston Red Sox

Comments

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    bostonlou wrote:
    hey thanks man... appreciate the effort

now hopefully jimed14 can follow suit

:)

no way man, only because YOU asked ;) ... perhaps put them side by side if I get the time ... at least I don't have a new line for EVERY show.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,015
    You're assuming we all bought into the Trot Nixon thing. I respected him, but was glad to see the back of him. I can't stand the dirtdog website and neither can many people here in Boston. it caters to the stupid that exist in any fanbase. I realize it's a racist thing to have a term "dirtdog". I don't like it at all, but don't bash Pedroia. he's one of my favorites and I was there when he was getting booed in late April.

Sure Pedro played hurt, but he also refused surgery fearing it would end his career. Don't cherry pick arguments like that. Especially pointing out we all loved Schill's red sock. I mean C'mon he gave up millions of dollars by shortening his career and effectiveness for our title chance in 04. Of course we were talking about it. It was well known Pedro was hurt and that he gutted it out. It's also well known that he has a huge heart like in 99 when he came out of the bullpen and shutdown the Indians while hurt. Pedro got a massive reaction when he came back with the mets. All of it positive.

As far as coco goes, you're cherry picking arguments again. Lugo is a minority and had a bad year too but people never got on him like they did coco. It's just a fan's thing and much of it is driven by the media. He was a pitchman by the marketing dept, so he was bound to be in for it if he didn't produce. Maybe the PR department needs to think about that in the future. However that has happened to players of all color everywhere before.Talk about how the media has it's favorites and you may be on to something. They might be racist, I'd definitely go along with that.

As far as the fan base? No more than any other I'd say. I grew up in the South, I've seen it up close and personal, and there isn;t a mass conspiracy here amongst fans.
    This is why you have to read my whole thing...this isn't just the overt stuff (people have asked for instances of racism so I gave it to them that's all)...it's the stuff behind the scenes. Like the fact that the Boston media (especially now that Howard Bryant isn't there) is mostly old, guard, white, and male. It's the fact that WEEI has some really f-d up people doing broadcasts, and calling in. Combine that with films like Fever Pitch, and Good Will Hunting which serve to define (in a mediated way) Red Sox Nation and you won't see an ethnic minority very often (Boston is 50% minority by ethnicity). Also I said Pedro was well liked for his onfield stuff, it was his audacity off the field which turned the media, then many fans against him.

I am glad that some fans are able to see through it, but that doesn't mean that all do. As far as Philly fans go, they are crazy too...but I'm just going by what the baseball players themselves said this year. Kinda interesting that Boston and Philly are PJ's biggest fan groups in the US...hmmm.
  • ryan198 wrote:
    This is why you have to read my whole thing...this isn't just the overt stuff (people have asked for instances of racism so I gave it to them that's all)...it's the stuff behind the scenes. Like the fact that the Boston media (especially now that Howard Bryant isn't there) is mostly old, guard, white, and male. It's the fact that WEEI has some really f-d up people doing broadcasts, and calling in. Combine that with films like Fever Pitch, and Good Will Hunting which serve to define (in a mediated way) Red Sox Nation and you won't see an ethnic minority very often (Boston is 50% minority by ethnicity). Also I said Pedro was well liked for his onfield stuff, it was his audacity off the field which turned the media, then many fans against him.

I am glad that some fans are able to see through it, but that doesn't mean that all do. As far as Philly fans go, they are crazy too...but I'm just going by what the baseball players themselves said this year. Kinda interesting that Boston and Philly are PJ's biggest fan groups in the US...hmmm.

You seem to be picking and choosing what you conceive as facts to argue your predetermined conclusion. You have not proved that Boston is worse than NYC, Chicago, Detroit, St Louis, etc.

Again, I know there is still racism in Boston. I've lived in the suburbs my whole life, I'm 35. But I've never read or seen on TV valid arguments that Boston is still much worse than the rest of the country.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    bostonlou wrote:
    34 stickers but no love for Pearl Jam?

RED SOX Domi-NATION

That photo is old 2 years ago I now have a Pearl Jam sticker on the front bike rack shield and the back.

Always have to show the love for my favorite bands loaded though with Michael Franti and Spearhead.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

As far as I can tell Boston is no more of a racist city than any other that I've lived in. I've lived in Brooklyn, NY..Charleston, SC, Maryland and Palm Beach, FL. There is racisim in every major city in the United States and Boston is no different than any of the others.

My personal experience in Boston was usually great. I encountered racism from both black and white maybe mainly because I was approached as an outsider who tried to fit in. It took about 2 years from elementary school in Mattapan then Dorchester to High School in Cambridge.

I can remember back a little when there were the issues with forced busing and many were bused to South Boston High and you had the fighting and near riots. I'm not sure what became of that in the 70's caused we moved but maybe someone else can follow up on that.

Sports stars have faced their share of racisim like Bill Russell but I believe Boston also had the first Black hockey player right, correct me if I'm wrong. So to me it's a give and take, in all the other cities I've lived I've come across racisim in one manner or another and the city of Boston is no different than any other US city in that regard.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,015
    g under p wrote:
    As far as I can tell Boston is no more of a racist city than any other that I've lived in. I've lived in Brooklyn, NY..Charleston, SC, Maryland and Palm Beach, FL. There is racisim in every major city in the United States and Boston is no different than any of the others.

My personal experience in Boston was usually great. I encountered racism from both black and white maybe mainly because I was approached as an outsider who tried to fit in. It took about 2 years from elementary school in Mattapan then Dorchester to High School in Cambridge.

I can remember back a little when there were the issues with forced busing and many were bused to South Boston High and you had the fighting and near riots. I'm not sure what became of that in the 70's caused we moved but maybe someone else can follow up on that.

Sports stars have faced their share of racisim like Bill Russell but I believe Boston also had the first Black hockey player right, correct me if I'm wrong. So to me it's a give and take, in all the other cities I've lived I've come across racisim in one manner or another and the city of Boston is no different than any other US city in that regard.

Peace
    Hey thanks alot for the arguing...it definitely helped temper my argument, reinforce certain things, and challenge others that I was going to put in my presentation - an by extension - my dissertation. Sorry if I pushed all your buttons, but I was taking the hardline side as part of the exercise of getting at everything from a critical, rather than blindly celbratory, sense. This definitely helped a lot. Peace all...for a bit anyway.
    Images of the World Series 2007 from The Washington Post just click on autoplay...The World Series 2007

Peace

Tek giving out the gift that keeps on giving...some love on all Hallows Eve...heres the story...Varitek Hands Out Autographs on Halloween.

Peace

g under p wrote:
    Tek giving out the gift that keeps on giving...some love on all Hallows Eve...heres the story...Varitek Hands Out Autographs on Halloween.

Peace

yeah, that was great, but ... the picture under that article of the NFL cheerleaders in their halloween outfits ... now THERE'S reporting for you ... http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/photos/nfl-cheeleader-halloween-costumes/

Wonder Woman ... please tie me up with your golden lasso!!! :D

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    yeah, that was great, but ... the picture under that article of the NFL cheerleaders in their halloween outfits ... now THERE'S reporting for you ... http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/photos/nfl-cheeleader-halloween-costumes/

Wonder Woman ... please tie me up with your golden lasso!!! :D

Nice one I missed all that, nice costumes and better yet what's in them. :)

Peace

The Herald is reporting that Schilling is close to signing a one year deal to come back to the sox ... just heard it on MNF via ESPN

just went to the herald's website ...

Sources indicated that Curt Schilling and the Red Sox were close to striking a deal which would bring the pitcher back to the defending world champions for one more season.

Schilling, when reached by phone last night, said that things “gathered momentum and if they continued to progress like they did (yesterday) something could potentially get done.”

The deal is believed to be incentive-laden and, according to sources, might be simply contingent on a final physical. Schilling had initially been looking for a $13 million extension before last season.

The Red Sox have exclusive negotiating rights with Schilling until 15 days after the end of the World Series, which would be Nov. 12.

Schilling, who turns 41 on Nov. 14, went 9-8 with a 3.87 ERA this season before notching three wins in the postseason.

The Astros, Diamondbacks and Phillies all contacted Schilling shortly after he filed for free agency.

• adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I'm not sure how I feel about re-signing Schill. On the one hand he has been a horse and clutch like no other. On the other hand, I think it's time for a young arm to take his place. He's gotten us 2 rings so he deserves to do what he wants. I just kinda wish he'd ride off into the sunset.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    I'm not sure how I feel about re-signing Schill. On the one hand he has been a horse and clutch like no other. On the other hand, I think it's time for a young arm to take his place. He's gotten us 2 rings so he deserves to do what he wants. I just kinda wish he'd ride off into the sunset.

I think he can be a valuable #3 starter and good mentor to guys like Lester and Bucholz, and even Dice K ... plus, the contract sounds to be full of incentives ... which doesn't suprise me with Schilling, he's the type of guy to only want to make what he truly earned ...

• Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    you guys beat me to it.

Schilling just posted on the Sons of Sam Horn: "Things are winding down, details being taken care of. When something is final I'll blog it to let anyone that cares know."

And he posted this on his blog: "Talks with the Red Sox are moving. Theo and I have spoken multiple times daily over the past week and given the current situation I am feeling very confident that we will be able to finalize a 1 year contract to allow us a chance to finish our career as members of the Red Sox organization.

There are some things to iron out and details that must be finalized for both sides but barring something unforeseen or outrageously odd happening I feel very comfortable that I will finish my career here."

So it really looks likely that his return is imminent.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
    Here's a cool article about Japan becoming a Red Sox Nation:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/11/06/this_fall_japan_became_a_red_sox_nation/

And it looks official, Schilling will be back next year pending a physical:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3096549
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    Solat13 wrote:
    Here's a cool article about Japan becoming a Red Sox Nation:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/11/06/this_fall_japan_became_a_red_sox_nation/

And it looks official, Schilling will be back next year pending a physical:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3096549

good article on Japan ... I didn't realize the Sox were opening in Japan next year ...

looking it up, it appears the Sox would be playing the A's ... and I'm guessing they will call these home games for the A's (see Tampa Bay v NY Yankees, and Tampa had to call those two games home games, not the Yankees)

Man, I really hope this isn't all the games the Sox play "at Oakland" ... they better have another series or I won't see them next year ... grrrr

• just heard on wfan that schilling signed a preliminary one-year deal to return.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    jimed14 wrote:
    good article on Japan ... I didn't realize the Sox were opening in Japan next year ...

looking it up, it appears the Sox would be playing the A's ... and I'm guessing they will call these home games for the A's (see Tampa Bay v NY Yankees, and Tampa had to call those two games home games, not the Yankees)

Man, I really hope this isn't all the games the Sox play "at Oakland" ... they better have another series or I won't see them next year ... grrrr

I just realized what your screen name means

wow am I slow

shame he's not in the HOF
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
    bostonlou wrote:

wow am I slow

He should be in the next year or two, but it's long overdue.
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    bostonlou wrote:

wow am I slow

indeed, he does deserve to be in the HOF ... just not the broadcasting hall of fame. ;)

my first 30+ years I lived north of Boston (Chelmsford & Melrose) ... been here for just over 3.

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,651
    bostonlou wrote:

wow am I slow

He even explained it when he showed up in June, you might have been banned that week. :D
    This weekend we rock Portland
    congrats to Youk ... Gold Glove at 1b!

• speaking as a biased Yankee fan here, but I think it was a mistake for the Red Sox to bring back both Schilling and Wakefield. Not that either will all of a sudden become terrible, but neither was that great this year. These deals seem more like lifetime achievement awards than good deals for 2008.
    speaking as a biased Yankee fan here, but I think it was a mistake for the Red Sox to bring back both Schilling and Wakefield. Not that either will all of a sudden become terrible, but neither was that great this year. These deals seem more like lifetime achievement awards than good deals for 2008.

Well, they both helped to win 2 World Series Championships and that is reason enough to bring them back especially under incentive laden contracts in Schilling's case.

Peace

• yeah, I understand that. Especially considering the pitching market is incredibly thin. I just think it's always better to let a guy go a year early than to keep him a year too long.
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,076
    speaking as a biased Yankee fan here, but I think it was a mistake for the Red Sox to bring back both Schilling and Wakefield. Not that either will all of a sudden become terrible, but neither was that great this year. These deals seem more like lifetime achievement awards than good deals for 2008.

this comes from a fan of the team that paid roger clemens a prorated $28mil deal.

carl pavano for $11mil or curt schilling for a base salary of $8mil (that can be bumped up to $14mil)?

igawa for $4mil or wakefield for $4mil?

i'll take the sox signing above average #3 and #4 pitchers for a combined $12mil in base salary.
  • jimed14 wrote:
    congrats to Youk ... Gold Glove at 1b!
    when do they announce rookie of the year?

Considering Wakefield can eat innings and tied a career high for wins with 17 and Schilling's era in his 13 starts after coming off the dl including the post season was 3.25, I don't see how it's a bad move.

You get to bring the kids along next year and have the Vets carry the team while the kids get mentored by Schilling and Wakefield who have seen it all.

I'm actually really happy with this move. Plus now you have insurance in case injuries strike. You have 7 starters on the roster counting Beckett, Dice K, Bucholz and Tavarez. Now we have insurance in case the injury bug creeps up and won't have to do what the Yankees did and start Pavano on Opening Day or go through rookie after rookie to hold down the fort.

I'd rather have more pitching than less. And basically by reupping Wakefield and Schilling the Red Sox kept the same team in tact and cut 12-13 million in salary with Gagne and Clement's contract expiring.
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
  • I really hope Theo has a good plan, I trust him but I am getting nervous. Although he was quiet last year till the last second before a deal too.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    I'm just so happy Arod is not going to be on the team.