Boston Red Sox

Comments

• Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    RW81233 wrote:
    Why does this damn organization get validated with everything they do? Damn that piece is funny, but the fucking Red Sox seem to walk on water. If it weren't for the Yankees though this team might have had no money for K's for the Klan Schilling, because it would have been spent on A-Rod, Magglio, Jose Contreras, and Mark Texiera with massive crappy deals...oh well that's baseball.

Uh, the A Rod deal fell apart after Schilling had already been traded to the Red Sox.

Might want to get your dates straight.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Men left on base today by David Ortiz - 11

What has to happen before Tito finally moves him down in the lineup?
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    jimed14 wrote:
    Men left on base today by David Ortiz - 11

What has to happen before Tito finally moves him down in the lineup?

For the love of the team he has to do something. I'm all for loyalty, and he was proven right with Pedroia in his rookie season, but this is ridiculous.

He's got to move Ortiz down in the order. No disrespect. Hell, make it temporary until Ortiz starts to hit.

Fuck. :!:
  • jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    I really feel sorry for Ortiz. its shocking. I'd send him to the DL or bench, if only to clear his head
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Struggling Ortiz benched for Friday, and maybe longer 3D_emoticon_137.gif

01:00 AM EDT on Saturday, May 16, 2009

By DANIEL BARBARISI
    Journal Sports Writer

SEATTLE –– It has finally come to this: David Ortiz, the most feared slugger in Boston for most of his Red Sox career, has been benched in order to give him time to recover, mentally. It may be only for Friday night, it could be for a few days. But as he sits in a slump deep enough to make many question where his career is headed, it was clear something had to be done.

“I talked to him last night after the game. Just sometimes stepping back will help. Maybe I was too late in doing this. I hope not. I just think he needs a deep breath," manager Terry Francona said.

The move comes after Ortiz suffered through a miserable 0-for-7 performance Thursday in Anaheim, and left 12 men on base, tying a Red Sox record.

Pundits, fans and casual baseball observers around Boston have been calling for some sort of action from Francona for weeks, whether it be dropping Ortiz in the batting order or benching him temporarily to allow him to get his head and body straight. After the Anaheim game, with Ortiz hitting .208 with no home runs and 15 RBI, Francona decided that this was the time.

This “deep breath” could last more than just one day –– Francona and Ortiz planned to reassess after Friday’s game.

In the meantime, J.D. Drew will take Ortiz’s third spot in the lineup, and Rocco Baldelli will slot in at DH. And Ortiz’s teammates will hope their biggest cog can figure things out.

"It’s hard for all of us. We care about him. His teammates care about him. When it happens in Boston it’s a little bit more than if it happens in some other cities. It’s why we’re trying to help him. Trying to be there for him,” Francona said.

Mike Lowell has been through a slump like Ortiz’s before, during his own difficult 2005 season. Observers were calling him washed up. He never came out of it that year, but he turned in excellent 2006 and 2007 seasons. Just as he knew that he wasn’t done, he knows Ortiz isn’t either.

"We all still have a lot of confidence in David. I don’t buy the bat-speed slowing, I don’t believe that in four months you can lose bat speed, from one year to the next.

I don’t buy the Manny deal [that Ortiz is struggling because Manny Ramirez is no longer hitting behind him] –– I just think he’s in a rut where maybe he’s not seeing the ball well. That triggers other things," Lowell said.

A day off can often be exactly the right remedy, Lowell said, to clear one’s head. Rather than focusing on that day’s game, it allows a chance to think about the bigger picture.

"I think so, give him a mental break, see what happens. Obviously, he wasn’t happy with yesterday’s performance. He’s going to get a day off sooner or later, I don’t think this was a bad time," Lowell said.

Francona opted against leaving Ortiz in the lineup, but dropping him to a lower spot in the order –– partially because the repercussions of doing so are broad, and the rest of the lineup must be reshuffled to compensate.

"Well, I think it can be counterproductive," Francona said. "Also, if you look at who’s [out], Youk’s out, we didn’t have Pedey [ Dustin Pedroia] for a couple days –– again when you make one move, it sets off a chain reaction."

The lineup looked strange without Ortiz anchoring it. Even an unsuccessful Ortiz looks intimidating when he lumbers to the plate, and always elicits cheers from fans harkening back to good memories of game-winning shots in years past.

"Even when David’s struggling, I love his presence in the lineup. But I think that also if there’s a time to step back and take a deep breath it will help us in the long run," he said.

Friday night, there will be no chances to add to that legacy, to find instant redemption in a walk-off grand slam. Just a day to sit in the dugout, and slowly start down the road back.

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:dbarbari@projo.com">dbarbari@projo.com</a><!-- e -->

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,481

By DANIEL BARBARISI
    Journal Sports Writer

SEATTLE –– It has finally come to this: David Ortiz, the most feared slugger in Boston for most of his Red Sox career, has been benched in order to give him time to recover, mentally. It may be only for Friday night, it could be for a few days. But as he sits in a slump deep enough to make many question where his career is headed, it was clear something had to be done.

“I talked to him last night after the game. Just sometimes stepping back will help. Maybe I was too late in doing this. I hope not. I just think he needs a deep breath," manager Terry Francona said.

The move comes after Ortiz suffered through a miserable 0-for-7 performance Thursday in Anaheim, and left 12 men on base, tying a Red Sox record.

Pundits, fans and casual baseball observers around Boston have been calling for some sort of action from Francona for weeks, whether it be dropping Ortiz in the batting order or benching him temporarily to allow him to get his head and body straight. After the Anaheim game, with Ortiz hitting .208 with no home runs and 15 RBI, Francona decided that this was the time.

This “deep breath” could last more than just one day –– Francona and Ortiz planned to reassess after Friday’s game.

In the meantime, J.D. Drew will take Ortiz’s third spot in the lineup, and Rocco Baldelli will slot in at DH. And Ortiz’s teammates will hope their biggest cog can figure things out.

"It’s hard for all of us. We care about him. His teammates care about him. When it happens in Boston it’s a little bit more than if it happens in some other cities. It’s why we’re trying to help him. Trying to be there for him,” Francona said.

Mike Lowell has been through a slump like Ortiz’s before, during his own difficult 2005 season. Observers were calling him washed up. He never came out of it that year, but he turned in excellent 2006 and 2007 seasons. Just as he knew that he wasn’t done, he knows Ortiz isn’t either.

"We all still have a lot of confidence in David. I don’t buy the bat-speed slowing, I don’t believe that in four months you can lose bat speed, from one year to the next.

I don’t buy the Manny deal [that Ortiz is struggling because Manny Ramirez is no longer hitting behind him] –– I just think he’s in a rut where maybe he’s not seeing the ball well. That triggers other things," Lowell said.

A day off can often be exactly the right remedy, Lowell said, to clear one’s head. Rather than focusing on that day’s game, it allows a chance to think about the bigger picture.

"I think so, give him a mental break, see what happens. Obviously, he wasn’t happy with yesterday’s performance. He’s going to get a day off sooner or later, I don’t think this was a bad time," Lowell said.

Francona opted against leaving Ortiz in the lineup, but dropping him to a lower spot in the order –– partially because the repercussions of doing so are broad, and the rest of the lineup must be reshuffled to compensate.

"Well, I think it can be counterproductive," Francona said. "Also, if you look at who’s [out], Youk’s out, we didn’t have Pedey [ Dustin Pedroia] for a couple days –– again when you make one move, it sets off a chain reaction."

The lineup looked strange without Ortiz anchoring it. Even an unsuccessful Ortiz looks intimidating when he lumbers to the plate, and always elicits cheers from fans harkening back to good memories of game-winning shots in years past.

"Even when David’s struggling, I love his presence in the lineup. But I think that also if there’s a time to step back and take a deep breath it will help us in the long run," he said.

Friday night, there will be no chances to add to that legacy, to find instant redemption in a walk-off grand slam. Just a day to sit in the dugout, and slowly start down the road back.

oh god...now we have to read your articles on this board too? just post your thoughts not someone elses!! :roll:
    www.myspace.com
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488

oh god...now we have to read your articles on this board too? just post your thoughts not someone elses!! :roll:

:?:

If you don't like it, move along ... I don't get the Projo out here, and it's not my first read when I want Sox news, so, it's an interesting post.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:

:?:

If you don't like it, move along ... I don't get the Projo out here, and it's not my first read when I want Sox news, so, it's an interesting post.

touche, touche...i just came from another board and saw the same exact post though. gets a little tiring day after day....

GO PHILS!
    www.myspace.com

By DANIEL BARBARISI
    Journal Sports Writer

DON'T READ IT THEN!!! :roll: NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO!!! :roll:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad

By DANIEL BARBARISI
    Journal Sports Writer

DON'T READ IT THEN!!! :roll: NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO!!! :roll:

then you tell me. who is this person standing behind me with a gun pointing to me head forcing me to read your redsox articles? WHO IS HE PEARLJAMJEWEL?!?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    www.myspace.com
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Solat13 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    Why does this damn organization get validated with everything they do? Damn that piece is funny, but the fucking Red Sox seem to walk on water. If it weren't for the Yankees though this team might have had no money for K's for the Klan Schilling, because it would have been spent on A-Rod, Magglio, Jose Contreras, and Mark Texiera with massive crappy deals...oh well that's baseball.

Uh, the A Rod deal fell apart after Schilling had already been traded to the Red Sox.

Might want to get your dates straight.
    You're right that my dates were off, but the point was that the Red Sox have luckily gotten out of many bad big deals and instead had a few short bad ones, whereas the Yankees have taken on so much in bad contracts b/c they outbid the Sox. Some of it is Theo's good business sense, but a lot has been the Yankees making up for therirmistakes.
    RW81233 wrote:
    2-1.gif

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    RW81233 wrote:
    2-1.gif

good one :twisted:
    www.myspace.com
    Ummm...as I said before my dates were of on paint sock, but the Sawx were frontrunners for all of those players, even Pedro Martinez for 3 years 30some mill which prompted Ortiz to say "Pedro ain't goin' to no Mets". Each time they got outbid those players have struggled.
    I'll be heading up to Fenway for the Mets game on Friday. Anyone else going to be at the game?
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    NO WAY!!! I'm there Santana vs. Beckett right? It's my grandparent-in-law's 60th wedding anny...we're going to be in the RF rooftop box seats...where you gonna be?
    Solat13 wrote:
    I'll be heading up to Fenway for the Mets game on Friday. Anyone else going to be at the game?
    This your first time at Fenway? If so Enjoy the atmosphere, your in for a good time!! :D

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    edited May 2009
    RW81233 wrote:
    NO WAY!!! I'm there Santana vs. Beckett right? It's my grandparent-in-law's 60th wedding anny...we're going to be in the RF rooftop box seats...where you gonna be?

The Red Sox website says it's going to be Dice K vs. Santana, but either way I'll be happy. I'll be there with nothingman44 in RF Grand Stand 1.
    Post edited by Solat13 on
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    Solat13 wrote:
    This your first time at Fenway? If so Enjoy the atmosphere, your in for a good time!! :D

Thanks! It's not my first time there, but every game up there is special. I'm actually going to three games this year. Friday, July 11th against the Royals (my 2nd time on the Monster) and October 2nd against the Indians. I figure it will be my only chance to see October baseball in Fenway without paying a few hundred for tix.
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    Solat13 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

The Red Sox website says it's going to be Dice K vs. Santana, but either way I'll be happy. I'll be there with nothingman44 in RF Grand Stand 1.
    sweet...i'm actually handing in my dissertation to the organization, and seeing one of my students who got a job partially through my connections with the team. See i'm not a straight hater. I'm flying in from a conference in Chicago and trying to get a quick pop, if I can, at Beerworks pre-game. If I don't catch you before, we'll be close enough, so maybe we should catch up between innings.

It seems as if they are gonna go with Dice-K, either way it'll be good. I've seen him and Becks enough, this is my first Santana experience so I'm definitely excited.
    Solat13 wrote:

are the world champs playing in bean town this year?

i saw them a few years ago up in boston.
    www.myspace.com
    Solat13 wrote:

are the world champs playing in bean town this year?

i saw them a few years ago up in boston.

Nah, Philly isn't playing in Fenway this year.
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    You are so lucky! I'd love to be going to at least one game this season. :D Hold up a sign with NESN on it and wish the Rem Dawg a speedy recovery. He's recovering from lung cancer and went back to work to soon and got pneumonia. You'll definitely get on TV ;):lol:

The Monster seats are fantastic. Try and catch a home run when you go to that game... :lol::lol:

Have a GREAT Time!!

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    Nice Win Last Night ~ Go RED SOX!!! :)

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    Love your rooting short & sweet. Now keep on rocking, I'm up here in nj/NYC Yankee country but still the red sox rule.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Glad to see Papi come through tonight and more importantly the Sox are 15-6 in the division.
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    Solat13 wrote:
    Glad to see Papi come through tonight and more importantly the Sox are 15-6 in the division.

That's a nice record, posting from my iPod thing and it's not so easy but I'm out here tomorrow and Florida on Friday. Sox need to string a few more wins together more like 6 in row.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Watch out guys, our beloved minor league team is coming to your town and looking to sweep :roll: ..Papi is done..fatso might as well go join Delgado on the DL..though I'd still take his fat ass and dump him on first for my shitty team...good luck this weekend guys, as you will most certainly need it ;) ..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    g under p wrote:
    Love your rooting short & sweet. Now keep on rocking, I'm up here in nj/NYC Yankee country but still the red sox rule.

Peace
    Let's Here it For BIG POPI!!!! GO RED SOX!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

BTW, I LOVE you Avatar!! VERY NICE!! :D;):D

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Whata fucking pussy youk is. Dumbass was hanging over the plate and wonders why he gets hit.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?