Boston Red Sox

Comments

• Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    I'd have to agree (unfortunately) with Yellow Ledbelly.

We need better pitchers we can't rely on just Lester and Dice K. We need strong pitches who won't buckle under these conditions. What happened the last two games was ridiculous especially yesterdays game.

And I am aware of the hitters too. Papi isn't doing a damn thing except getting an easy out for the Rays. He has been shut down ever since this post season has started. The only players that have been solid is Varitex and Youk and to an extent Bay.

The off season will be something to be watched. If we pick up good players that can perform then we'll be back in post season again.

I'm not trying to take away from the Rays they are a solid team who have got their shit together. Of course, I don't want them to win.
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    Slip Kid wrote:
    The only players that have been solid is Varitex and Youk and to an extent Bay.

Don't you mean Pedroia, Youk, and Bay? Everyone else is terrible.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Don't you mean Pedroia, Youk, and Bay? Everyone else is terrible.
    He damn sure didn't mean Varitek....Cap'n is useless
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Yeah, except it's to a team that has put up 31 runs and 10 HR's in the last 3 games against you. Also when you're hitting .150 with runners in scoring position, it doesn't help the cause.

I'd love to see them come back but I just don't think it'll happen this year.

I remember looking at the Yankees individual player stats after the 3-0 lead they had in 2004. That was unreal to look at.

Again, I'm not saying it's a sure thing, I'm not even saying they are favored, far from it ...

I'm just saying, why bail now? Why concede it's over? Hope they win game 5 and we'll see where we are.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    I remember looking at the Yankees individual player stats after the 3-0 lead they had in 2004. That was unreal to look at.

Again, I'm not saying it's a sure thing, I'm not even saying they are favored, far from it ...

I'm just saying, why bail now? Why concede it's over? Hope they win game 5 and we'll see where we are.

I know where you're coming from. It's not over till the last out in the final game, I'm just saying I don't have a good feeling.
    Don't you mean Pedroia, Youk, and Bay? Everyone else is terrible.

Fair enough but you can't discredit Varitex because he's a good defensive player. Not getting it done at bat but he makes some incredible plays.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,659
    Slip Kid wrote:
    Fair enough but you can't discredit Varitex because he's a good defensive player. Not getting it done at bat but he makes some incredible plays.
    Yeah, like that passed ball.

Tek is hitting a robust .000 in the ALCS, sorry thats hard to excuse no matter what kind of defense he is playing (frankly he made 1 good play against the Angels on the squeeze, and his handling of the staff hasn't been all that impressive of late looking at how Beckett and Lester have gotten rocked).
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier wrote:
    Yeah, like that passed ball.

Tek is hitting a robust .000 in the ALCS, sorry thats hard to excuse no matter what kind of defense he is playing (frankly he made 1 good play against the Angels on the squeeze, and his handling of the staff hasn't been all that impressive of late looking at how Beckett and Lester have gotten rocked).

Well, I still feel he's a good player considering how things have been going to shit as of late. He needs some work but again a lot of the team needs work too.
    So, what do they need? I think they absolutely must add another power bat whether Papi is going to get his groove back or not. He isn't the same player without the protection Manny gave him in the lineup.
    On paper, Lester, Dice-K and Beckett are a bad ass three-headed monster in the rotation, but Lester, to me, is the only one I feel like can be counted on at this point. And even Lester probably can't be a highly successful #1 starter. So, they need to go out and get a prime time free agent pitcher, too.
    I think the rotation is the least of their worries going forward, Matsuzaka and Beckett are both only 28, Lester is 24...none anywhere near past their prime..adding possibly Masterson and Buchholz if he can sort himself out makes it a strong, young rotation.

The bullpen has a few holes, especially if Masterson returns to the rotation...besides Papelbon Delcarmen and Okajima, you have pretty much nothing...Timlin should retire, and unfortunately I think Wakefield should as well.

They need a bat for sure (how would Manny's 7 for 8 with RISP in the playofs look in this series?), but not sure they pay for one this offseason, they'll have Bay under contract, the position players are basically set up for next year (Bay, Ellsbury, Drew in the OF, Lowell, Lowrie, Pedroia and Youk in the infield) and Ortiz is entrenched as DH.

They need some production at catcher, but there's not a lot available, so resigning Varitek may happen, but he has become a huge liability with the stick.

Health may be their biggest problem...clearly Lowell, Ortiz, Drew and Beckett have been hampered at the very least down the stretch and into the post season.

I think the 2009 Red Sox will look a lot like the post July 31 2008 Red Sox, so get used to them needing to manufacture runs and not bomb away like the Rays are currently doing...its amazing how trading Manny can change the team's dynamic.

So I think the priorites are a 4th starter (not too hard to find) unless both Masterson and Buchholz can back end the rotation, a quality bullpen arm and possibly some catching help and maybe a power bat for the bench/4th outfielder role. (They have no pop on the bench, just soft hitting guys like Coco, Casey and Cora).

And trade Julio Lugo for a bucket of balls.
    Poncier wrote:
    I think the rotation is the least of their worries going forward, Matsuzaka and Beckett are both only 28, Lester is 24...none anywhere near past their prime..adding possibly Masterson and Buchholz if he can sort himself out makes it a strong, young rotation.

The bullpen has a few holes, especially if Masterson returns to the rotation...besides Papelbon Delcarmen and Okajima, you have pretty much nothing...Timlin should retire, and unfortunately I think Wakefield should as well.

They need a bat for sure (how would Manny's 7 for 8 with RISP in the playofs look in this series?), but not sure they pay for one this offseason, they'll have Bay under contract, the position players are basically set up for next year (Bay, Ellsbury, Drew in the OF, Lowell, Lowrie, Pedroia and Youk in the infield) and Ortiz is entrenched as DH.

They need some production at catcher, but there's not a lot available, so resigning Varitek may happen, but he has become a huge liability with the stick.

Health may be their biggest problem...clearly Lowell, Ortiz, Drew and Beckett have been hampered at the very least down the stretch and into the post season.

I think the 2009 Red Sox will look a lot like the post July 31 2008 Red Sox, so get used to them needing to manufacture runs and not bomb away like the Rays are currently doing...its amazing how trading Manny can change the team's dynamic.

So I think the priorites are a 4th starter (not too hard to find) unless both Masterson and Buchholz can back end the rotation, a quality bullpen arm and possibly some catching help and maybe a power bat for the bench/4th outfielder role. (They have no pop on the bench, just soft hitting guys like Coco, Casey and Cora).

I think that they might just deal Bucholtz. I'm thinking Masterson has a higher ceiling. They might make him a starter and put Clay in the bully. I really think that they make a run at AJ Burnett.

They do need another stick but where are they going to put it. There really is no opening in the lineup for another stick if you think about it unless they decided to move someone.

EDIT: I'm missed what you said about the bat for the bench, my bad.
  • stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    Poncier wrote:

agreed. time to say bye-bye to Lugo. and maybe even Coco, haven't made up my mind on him.

but the season's not over so let's not get ahead of ourselves. Maddon announced that it'll be Kazmir taking the mound next game instead of Shields. Not that I really care who's pitching for the Rays, all that matters for the BoSox pitchers is that they need to put up consecutive zeros on the board.
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
  • It's too early to be talking about the off season already. And what's this era of excellence. They've had 2 good seasons, 04 and 07, not a continual strak like the Yankees or even the Braves' run. Remember 05, they blew thier load just to get in the playoffs and got smoked. 06, the Yankees Sweep of Death, they were done in mid-sept, the only thing they had going for them was to see if Ortiz would break Foxx' HR record. The Sox have had some good teams, but not an era of dominance. I like what Tito said today in that the guys are ready to go and wish this game was tonight. Let's see how a young and very inexperienced Tampa team plays with pressure, let's see if Ellsbury, Ortiz and 'Tek can get going. Let's see if the sox get some swagger back in front of the home crowd. Yes, the Rays have outplayed them in the series, but it's not finished yet. To be the man....you've got to beat the man.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    In about 20 hours, Daisuke Matsuzaka has a chance to become a Boston sports legend by saving the Red Sox's season.

Come on Dice-K, we need you to pull on another shutout classic performance.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    Like I've said before when the Sox win the next game ALL the pressure is on the Rays. They don't want to smell a game 7.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• I'm glad they're out.....
    stylo17 wrote:

but the season's not over so let's not get ahead of ourselves. Maddon announced that it'll be Kazmir taking the mound next game instead of Shields. Not that I really care who's pitching for the Rays, all that matters for the BoSox pitchers is that they need to put up consecutive zeros on the board.
    Maddon definitely just gave the Red Sox a stronger pulse with this move, it gives the Sox a much better chance tonight.
    It's too early to be talking about the off season already. And what's this era of excellence. They've had 2 good seasons, 04 and 07, not a continual strak like the Yankees or even the Braves' run. Remember 05, they blew thier load just to get in the playoffs and got smoked. 06, the Yankees Sweep of Death, they were done in mid-sept, the only thing they had going for them was to see if Ortiz would break Foxx' HR record. The Sox have had some good teams, but not an era of dominance. .
    Well, lets be fair, they have been in the ALCS 4 of the past 6 seasons, and the playoffs 5 of 6, thats a pretty dominant run in this day and age.
  • Poncier wrote:

The health issues with those players was my point. There's just no way to know what the future holds for them. Papi is useless if he is never the same. Lowell is a bit long in the tooth and may not bounce back from his surgery so well. Drew is always going to be injured no matter what. And power pitchers like Beckett, no matter how durable they have been, can go to shit over night. All I'm saying is '09 could be brutal....and that is of course looking way down the track, but I don't have a good feeling.

As for Lugo: If they can't unload his useless ass, even if for a bucket of balls....he should at least be made a ballboy
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    this blows already.
  • down_skidown_ski Posts: 328
    Red Sox are finished! NICE!
  • down_ski wrote:
    Red Sox are finished! NICE!

as a yankee fan, let me just say that with the red sox, it is absolutely not over until the last out is recorded. their chances are slim, but they're not out yet.

having said that: let's go rays!
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • In a few hours, a new era will officially begin for the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry.....fighting it out with each other for the AL Wild Card, as Tampa looks down at both teams with scorn and ridicule
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    season's over. clap clap, clap clap clap.
    season's over. clap clap, clap clap clap.

you've had 3 weeks of practice with that cheer, eh?

wait, make that 8 years ...

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    you've had 3 weeks of practice with that cheer, eh?

wait, make that 8 years ...

it's been primed and ready to go.

anyone else notice the guy sitting behind home plate tonight wearing the yankees cap?
    I blame myself ... I actually called a Rays AL championship in March ...

http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=5319849&postcount=17

I wish my PJ prediction was better than my AL prediction.

jimed14 wrote:
    I blame myself ... I actually called a Rays AL championship in March ...

http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=5319849&postcount=17

I wish my PJ prediction was better than my AL prediction.

you did the right thing. your prediction was for the best team in the AL to win the AL. makes sense to me.

you have to give respect where respect is due. the rays deserve everything coming their way this year.

i just hope some of the bone head sox fans on the forum don't come out of the wood work and come up with a laundry list of excuses as to why they are joining jeter and his bum left hand on the sunny golf courses.
  • suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    the reign of the defending champs is now over.
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
    you did the right thing. your prediction was for the best team in the AL to win the AL. makes sense to me.

you have to give respect where respect is due. the rays deserve everything coming their way this year.

i just hope some of the bone head sox fans on the forum don't come out of the wood work and come up with a laundry list of excuses as to why they are joining jeter and his bum left hand on the sunny golf courses.

ps-

there are still a couple of weeks left in october. you can still get your PJ wish :)

oh man, there is no excuse ... Sox pitched like crap, and pitching wins championships.

My roto teams are littered with Rays, I'm on record loving their amazing young talent. Just sucks the Sox had to play 'em ...