Options

The Montreal Canadiens Thread

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    MONTREAL (CP) - Carey Price has passed every test so far in junior hockey and in the American Hockey League and no one doubts he can ace the next one - making the Montreal Canadiens out of training camp.

The 20-year-old goaltender has looked solid again in a four-day rookie camp with 26 other young hopefuls that ended at the Bell Centre on Tuesday, but the real challenge comes Friday when the NHL camp opens.

Price will try to dislodge No.1 goalie Cristobal Huet and backup Jaroslav Halak for the starting job, otherwise he is likely to begin the season with the Hamilton Bulldogs, the team he backstopped to an AHL championship in the spring.

"I'm happy whatever they decide to do because whatever it is, it will be the best thing," the Williams Lake, B.C., native said.

Related Info
    Making the Jump
    "If I'm up, it's great and if I'm down, that's good, too. We have a good team in Hamilton. But it would be a lot of fun to play up here and obviously, I want to play here."

No-one's betting against it.

In 2005, when Montreal lucked out with the fifth overall pick in the lock-out year draft lottery, they surprised many by taking the six-foot-three Tri-City goalie even though the club looked set at the time with Jose Theodore in the net.

But Price helped Canada win gold at the 2006 world junior championship and then, after Tri-City was eliminated from the WHL playoffs, joined Hamilton and took them to the Calder Cup.

That sparked comparisons with former great Patrick Roy, who arrived in 1985-86 after winning an AHL title and led Montreal to a Stanley Cup, but coach Guy Carbonneau and his staff have cautioned against piling pressure on Price.

Carbonneau said he will only keep him with the NHL team if he wins the starting job. Otherwise, he prefers to give him regular work in Hamilton.

"It's all in his hands," Carbonneau said. "We have a good group of goalies, especially the top three.

"Halak came up last year and he was one of the best goalies in the AHL. That's what we want from our players - to dominate at whatever level they play. If Carey comes into camp and dominates, maybe the plan will change. It'll be fun to see in the pre-season who's going to be on top."

Huet had a brilliant 2005-06 campaign after he was acquired from Los Angeles and played his way into the all-star game last season before he had injuries and his play tapered off.

Halak starred in the AHL before moving to the NHL club in mid-season when Huet was hurt and acquitted himself well at the top level.

The Canadiens, who cut loose former backup David Aebischer this summer, see goaltending as their deepest position and feel no need to rush Price into the NHL.

"I like Carey, I think he's going to be a great goalie," added Carbonneau. "But Cristobal was an all-star last year. Don't push him out too fast.

"We haven't played games yet. I want to see what he can do in the NHL. There's a big difference between junior and the AHL and a big, big difference between the AHL and the NHL."

There will also be a battle for goaltending jobs in Hamilton, with the capable Yan Danis still in the picture and with former junior star Cedrick Desjardins knocking at the door. Desjardins was one of the top goalies in the ECHL last season.

"It's true there's a lot of goalies here, but you have to be better than them," said Desjardins, who went to consecutive Memorial Cup tournaments with Rimouski and Quebec in 2005 and 2006, winning it on his second try. "My goal this year is to be No. 1 in Hamilton. I think I'm ready."

While Price is the organization's top prospect, a handful of other rookies will be candidates to make the NHL club, including six-foot-five defenceman Ryan O'Byrne and forwards Kyle Chipchura and Matt d'Agostini, all from Hamilton's AHL championship team.

"You can't find a guy who says it didn't make them a better player," Chipchura, a 2004 first-round pick, said of his AHL experience. "You find things out about yourself and about the team."

Two newcomers, Russian defenceman Pavel Valentenko and 25-year-old Finnish forward Janne Lahti, also have a shot.

After three days of skill development drills, Tuesday was given over to scrimmages, with youngsters Ben Maxwell, Sergei Kostitsyn and P.K. Subban also looking good.

Carbonneau said it will up to the young players to take a job away from a player on the current NHL roster, just as he did when he snagged Dan Daoust's spot at centre at the Canadiens camp in 1982.

The Canadiens will have three days of on-ice workouts before they begin the pre-season with a pair of home games against Pittsburgh next Monday and Tuesday.

They will play their first six exhibition games in a seven-day span. Carbonneau said he will divide the players into two squads, each with an equal number of NHL players, for that first week, then pare the roster to 26 or 27 for the final two pre-season matches.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=218075&hubname=nhl
  • Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    Justin Pogge is better, ok maybe not, but im waiting and hoping
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    Justin Pogge is better, ok maybe not, but im waiting and hoping

I'd say Huet was a disappointment last year, but seeing as how the entire team crashed and burned come Xmas time, can't really point the finger at him.
    They shouldn't have played him the last game of the year (as it was his first game back from injury...sigh...).
    Pogge? Not likely but you never know what will happen.
  • Options
    I think the defense (including the goaltending) will be good this year.

Huet
    Halak
    Price start in Hamilton and can be call up anytime.

Markov - Komisarek (great first pair)
    Hamrlik - O'byrne (the kid will learn a lot with Hamrlik)
    Streit - Bouillon (Whoever he play with, Streit will be good this year and will jump up with Hamrlik on some games)

Brisebois, Gorges
    Dandenault is out for a 7th round pick, please.

The offense suck, unless some kids (Latendresse or Kostitsyn) jump up and score a lot of goals, would be time for Gainey to take his fingers off his nose and do something about this offense.

Kovalev - Koivu - Kostitsyn
    Higgins - Plekanec - Ryder
    Latendresse - Smolinski - Lapierre
    Bégin - Chipchura - Kostopoulos

I hope the young guys will deliver (O'byrne, Latendresse, Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Higgins, Lapierre, Chipchura) and that Kovalev, Markov and Koivu will be in great shape all year, cause otherwise this team won't make the playoffs, unless Huet steal the show... hmmm

Have a nice season, GO HABS GO!
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    I think the defense (including the goaltending) will be good this year.

Huet
    Halak
    Price start in Hamilton and can be call up anytime.

Markov - Komisarek (great first pair)
    Hamrlik - O'byrne (the kid will learn a lot with Hamrlik)
    Streit - Bouillon (Whoever he play with, Streit will be good this year and will jump up with Hamrlik on some games)

Brisebois, Gorges
    Dandenault is out for a 7th round pick, please.

The offense suck, unless some kids (Latendresse or Kostitsyn) jump up and score a lot of goals, would be time for Gainey to take his fingers off his nose and do something about this offense.

Kovalev - Koivu - Kostitsyn
    Higgins - Plekanec - Ryder
    Latendresse - Smolinski - Lapierre
    Bégin - Chipchura - Kostopoulos

I hope the young guys will deliver (O'byrne, Latendresse, Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Higgins, Lapierre, Chipchura) and that Kovalev, Markov and Koivu will be in great shape all year, cause otherwise this team won't make the playoffs, unless Huet steal the show... hmmm

Have a nice season, GO HABS GO!

I think Streit is probably going to find more time on fwd than on D. Your D lines look likely, but your forwards aren't going to look like that other than the checking line.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    I think Streit is probably going to find more time on fwd than on D. Your D lines look likely, but your forwards aren't going to look like that other than the checking line.

Probably but that's what i'd try, Higgins - Ryder - Koivu looked great offensively last year, but it was horrible on defense, so i'd break this up, and Kovalev need to be given a last chance with Koivu, i think. Anyway if things doesn't work out with these guys, and the Habs are not playoffs contender later in the season, i hope there will be major changes, in the top forwards (Koivu, Kovalev, Ryder) and in the office (Gainey out, Roy or Timmins in). President Boivin said it would be unacceptable to miss the playoff this year, so at least he knows, and probably won't wait (a la Maple Leafs) another year to make some changes.

Streit will be use everywhere this year again i agree, but he's good on D, i think he's currently our 4th D, so i'd use him more on D than as a forward.
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Probably but that's what i'd try, Higgins - Ryder - Koivu looked great offensively last year, but it was horrible on defense, so i'd break this up, and Kovalev need to be given a last chance with Koivu, i think. Anyway if things doesn't work out with these guys, and the Habs are not playoffs contender later in the season, i hope there will be major changes, in the top forwards (Koivu, Kovalev, Ryder) and in the office (Gainey out, Roy or Timmins in). President Boivin said it would be unacceptable to miss the playoff this year, so at least he knows, and probably won't wait (a la Maple Leafs) another year to make some changes.

Streit will be use everywhere this year again i agree, but he's good on D, i think he's currently our 4th D, so i'd use him more on D than as a forward.

I think Kovalev should be given A chance with Koivu. Did they play the two of them together at all outside of power play? I don't think so, and sticking two guys who can't take a pass on the tape with him obviously isn't helping. Pleks turned out ok though, but they gotta put someone on with him. Ah well. Hopefully we at least make the post season this year...
  • Options
    And a win! I was a little late cause I had to pick someone up, who was late, and parking was retarded...I sat down just as Mtl potted the first goal, so I only missed 2 or 3 minutes thankfully.

About half the team was the farm team, but regulars in the line up - Higgins, Ryder, Smolinski, Plekanec, Dandenault, Hamrlik, Lapierre, Kostopolous (who might not be a regular, but he looked alright), Streit, Halak. edit - I forgot about Komisarek, he was there and played pretty good.

I knew who most of the AHLers were so that helped.
    For a 21 million dollar acquisition, I can't say as I was overly impressed by Hamrlik. He didn't do anything wrong, but he didn't have much in the way of presence....

Pleks had a hat trick to lead the Habs to a 4-3 win. Higgins had a goal and a nice penalty shot but Fernandez kept with him on the deke and Higgy didn't get the puck in the air on his shot = good save by Fernandez.

Glen Murray got the second goal for Boston and the third star (because he's from nearby Bridgewater) and I didn't even see him on the ice. PJ Axelson had an assist on the first goal and I didn't see him on the ice at all either....

I was half way down the lower bowl behind the home goal, and I had fun.

I wish I lived closer to Montreal, although that isn't anything new.

Full story:
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=219041&hubname=nhl
  • Options
    Well that sounded like alot of fun, i've only been to one Leafs game, it's so hard to get a ticket though, but yeah i can't believe how fast the players are in real life up and personal, the only ticket i can seem to get a hand on around here would be a London Knights ticket which also can be a challenge sometimes:)
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    Well that sounded like alot of fun, i've only been to one Leafs game, it's so hard to get a ticket though, but yeah i can't believe how fast the players are in real life up and personal, the only ticket i can seem to get a hand on around here would be a London Knights ticket which also can be a challenge sometimes:)

Yeah you'd have to be in advance a good bit I think.
    They were pretty fast but a lot of them looked a bit sloppy. It's also funny that the players you think are so tiny are actually quite big, and the bigger players aren't quite as big as they are on tv...
    Hamrlik does look like a solid fucker, though.
  • Options
    Finally, it starts tomorrow night, the Habs are not a powerhouse at all, but they have a decent young team, will be an interesting season. Can't wait...

Price for ROOKIE OF THE YEAR...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Finally, it starts tomorrow night, the Habs are not a powerhouse at all, but they have a decent young team, will be an interesting season. Can't wait...

Price for ROOKIE OF THE YEAR...

While I hope it turns out great, I'm going to disagree with their keeping Price instead of Halak.
    I'm glad to see Lapierre head down though. Interesting roster and hopefully things go our way ALL season long instead of half this year :P
  • Options
    Bring on the offical start of the season tomorrow, well there were those 2 games in England, but im pumped to see the Leafs.

Wed Oct 3, 2007
    Canadiens Hurricanes 7:00 PM ET
    7:00 PM RDS
    Ducks Red Wings 7:00 PM ET
    7:00 PM VERSUS
    Senators Maple Leafs 7:30 PM ET
    7:30 PM TSN
    Stars Avalanche 9:30 PM ET
    7:30 PM VERSUS,NHL NET
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    Bring on the offical start of the season tomorrow, well there were those 2 games in England, but im pumped to see the Leafs.

Wed Oct 3, 2007
    Canadiens Hurricanes 7:00 PM ET
    7:00 PM RDS
    Ducks Red Wings 7:00 PM ET
    7:00 PM VERSUS
    Senators Maple Leafs 7:30 PM ET
    7:30 PM TSN
    Stars Avalanche 9:30 PM ET
    7:30 PM VERSUS,NHL NET

I miss RDS soooo much.
  • Options
    2 goals from Koivu including the OT winner.
    http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=219838&hubname=

Put 40 shots on Ward too. Good stuff.
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    i couldn't watch to much of it
    the french announcing gets to me after a few minutes

good start for them
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i couldn't watch to much of it
    the french announcing gets to me after a few minutes

good start for them

French announcing, and not understanding it, is better than most American announcing, and understanding it.

I wish I still had RDS :(
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    French announcing, and not understanding it, is better than most American announcing, and understanding it.

I wish I still had RDS :(

im sure they know what they're talking about,,but its tough for me

rds?
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    im sure they know what they're talking about,,but its tough for me

rds?

RDS is French TSN (ESPN), and they show most of the Habs games all year. It was great having it last two years, but unavailable where I am now.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    RDS is French TSN (ESPN), and they show most of the Habs games all year. It was great having it last two years, but unavailable where I am now.

ok.... i wonder why they put it in the nhl package? the french broadcasters
    not every game but a few habs games during the year i get the french version
    i guess they not allowed to use the canes broadcasters?? for last night
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Good to see Koivu playing better then ever after coming back from his bout with cancer.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    ok.... i wonder why they put it in the nhl package? the french broadcasters
    not every game but a few habs games during the year i get the french version
    i guess they not allowed to use the canes broadcasters?? for last night

Sounds about right. Or it's cheaper to use just one broadcast. TSN and RDS are sister stations and affiliated with ESPN either owning or owned by, I think, so they just use one broadcast....
    Didn't take long for me to not worry about not speakin French. "De la but!!" is all you gotta listen for :P
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    Good to see Koivu playing better then ever after coming back from his bout with cancer.
    Yeah he played decent. Still no even strength goals. This was a serious problem last year (I know one game isn't a good indicator :P)
  • Options
    My gf picked Koivu in our hockey pool and she was excited last night, needless to say i got laid and it got me over the Leafs loss pretty quick lol.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    My gf picked Koivu in our hockey pool and she was excited last night, needless to say i got laid and it got me over the Leafs loss pretty quick lol.

Hahaha, never talk bad about my Habs again, if this is what they get you :P
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    \

haha good way to deal w/ a loss
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Rygar wrote:
    (I know one game isn't a good indicator :P)

It is if you are a Leaf fan.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    It is if you are a Leaf fan.

Good point.

Glenn Healey went off on TO for playing Raycroft over Toskola on TSN's pre-game yesterday. Quite funny.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:

RDS show every game of the Habs, about 15 of the Sens, and some more from other teams, plus the playoffs, all stars etc.

Good start, the team played well and never stop working, too many dumb penalties again but Huet was great.

Higgins is great, he could have score 3 goals last night. Hamrlik is solid on D, Markov and Komisarek are one of the best pair in the league, Koivu played like a real captain, Mark Streit reminds me a bit of Dan Boyle (what a shot on the first goal, Sheldon who?) . Ahhh, hockey is back :)
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Price to start for Habs against Penguins
    Carey Price

TSN.ca Staff

10/9/2007 2:34:32 PM

Carey Price will be put to the test for the first time on Wednesday, getting the start in goal when the Montreal Canadiens visit the Pittsburgh Penguins in the final game of their three-game road trip.

"We don't want to keep (Price) away from the ice too long," head coach Guy Carbonneau told reporters after practice on Tuesday. "He's been good in practice and we thought this would be a good game."

Price, who was widely expected to begin the season with Hamilton of the American Hockey League, won the backup spot behind starter Cristobal Huet last week. The fifth overall pick from the 2005 draft is considered the team's goaltender of the future.

"I'm excited to get going,'' he said. "There might be a lot of shots, so I should get into the game early.

The team also announced on Tuesday that centre Kyle Chipchura will play in his first ever regular season game against the Penguins.

Chipchura, 21, was captain of Canada's gold medal-winning team at the 2005 world junior championship and has spent the last two seasons in Hamilton.

He will likely centre a checking line with Steve Begin and Mathieu Dandenault, with Tomas Plekanec moving to the second line with Alex Kovalev and Andrei Kostitsyn. Rookie Mikhail Grabovski will sit out. Veteran defenceman Patrice Brisebois will be a healthy scratch, with Josh Gorges starting his first game of the season.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=220225&hubname=
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013