Options

The Montreal Canadiens Thread

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Nice result!

Shame the leafs won after that comeback (hope the person who passed out is ok)...

do you get rds in NS?

I have it at my apt. in Amherst, but I'm at the lady's pad just outside of Halifax and she doesn't (different cable providers).
  • Options
    looks like the leafs are going down tonight.. shame florida blew the lead against carolina though.
  • Options
    gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Let's try to keep this thread longer than the Maple Leafs one. I'm not really a Canadians fan but I really hate the Leafs.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    gleemonex wrote:
    Let's try to keep this thread longer than the Maple Leafs one. I'm not really a Canadians fan but I really hate the Leafs.

it might be hard to do after they're eliminated, what with all the complaining ;)...
  • Options
    gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Leafs fans might just be the best complainers in the NHL. They've got more experience than fans of any other team.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    gleemonex wrote:
    Leafs fans might just be the best complainers in the NHL. They've got more experience than fans of any other team.
    Good one :P

Nasty loss for the Leafs tonight. Too bad Florida couldn't hold on to deny Carolina the 2 pts, but it's Florida.
    Leafs got a laughable sked left, except for playing us.
  • Options
    What a nice playoffs race we have in the East, tonight the Habs need to make a statement against the Bruins, a huge win is need.

GO HABS GO!

must win every game now
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    a combination of the Rangers prevailing tonight against The Isles

and Montreal beating Boston at home would eliminate the Islanders from the playoff race.

[size=+3] - _/ _/ _/ Lets Go Rangers \_ \_ \_ - [/size]
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    lets go bruins
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    kenshunt wrote:
    lets go bruins

boy you change like the wind,

now youre rooting for The Icelanders ?
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    a combination of the Rangers prevailing tonight against The Isles

and Montreal beating Boston at home would eliminate the Islanders from the playoff race.

[size=+3] - _/ _/ _/ Lets Go Rangers \_ \_ \_ - [/size]
    And an upset for Philajokia over the Laffs would be helpful too.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    And an upset for Philajokia over the Laffs would be helpful too.

Philly must win, Rangers must win, Canadien WILL win.

What would you do with Carey Price? I'd sign him now and send him to Hamilton immediatly.
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Huet will be the backup tonight!!
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Philly must win, Rangers must win, Canadien WILL win.

What would you do with Carey Price? I'd sign him now and send him to Hamilton immediatly.

What do you mean what do we do with Price? We're on overload with goalies. Of course sign him. Some of these guys should fetch a half decent return, but good luck finding anyone wanting to play in Mtl.
  • Options
    http://sports.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/TopStories/ContentPosting.aspx?feedname=CBC-SPORTS-V2&showbyline=True&newsitemid=canadiens-leafs-east
    Leafs, Habs fighting for playoffs
    With three games each left in the regular season, it's do or die time for the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs.

CBC Sports
    Montreal, with 88 points, holds down the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, but the ninth-place Leafs are only a single point behind the Habs.

Also in the hunt for one of the final three playoff berths in the East (the top five spots have already been claimed) are the New York Rangers (sixth place with 91 points), the Tampa Bay Lightning (seventh, 90 points), the defending Stanley Cup champion Carolina Hurricanes (10th, 86 points) and the New York Islanders (11th, 84 points).

Tuesday could be a crucial day in determining the playoff picture as all six teams chasing a post-season berth are in action.

All eyes will be on Montreal (home to the Boston Bruins) and Toronto (hosting the Philadelphia Flyers) to see who, if anyone, blinks first in the ultimate high-stakes game of chicken.

Also on Tuesday, the Rangers and Islanders clash in Long Island while the Hurricanes pay a visit to the Lightning in Tampa Bay.

Following a day off Wednesday, Montreal travels to New York on Thursday to take on the Rangers. On the same night, the Leafs visit the Islanders.

It could be that Saturday's showdown between the Leafs and Canadiens in Toronto (CBC, 7 p.m. ET), the regular-season finale for both clubs, could decide a playoff berth.

Boston at Montreal

Coming off a 4-3 victory over the Buffalo Sabres, the Canadiens control their own playoff destiny in the final week of the season.

If they win their final three games, they'll clinch a playoff berth and with a little help, Montreal, winners of eight of their last 10 games, can finish as high as sixth in the East.

"I'm definitely a little guilty of scoreboard watching lately myself," Canadiens forward Christopher Higgins told the team's official website. "This final stretch has been so tight that no one really knows what the heck is going on from night to night it seems."

Montreal holds a 4-3 edge in the season series with Boston, outscoring the Bruins 22-21.

In the last meeting between the clubs on March 22 in Boston, Montreal scored four times in the third period to record a 6-3 victory and sweep the home-and-home series.

Philadelphia at Toronto

Toronto needs to keep pace with Montreal, so it can ill afford a loss to the Flyers, the league's worst team and losers of eight of their last 10 contests.

Playing the lowly Flyers could prove to be just the perfect tonic for a Leafs team that stumbled to a 7-2 loss against the Rangers in New York Sunday.

"We didn't play well. You have to give them credit," Leafs forward Darcy Tucker said of the Rangers. "They worked hard and did what they had to do to win the game. We can't dwell on it.

"We have a lot of character in our dressing room. We found ways throughout the year to do it, and we just have to find a way to win."

Toronto has won seven straight on home ice, its longest home winning streak since an eight-game run in 2002-03.

Rangers at Islanders

The Islanders' playoff hopes are hanging by a thread.

Four points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand on eighth-place Montreal, the Islanders host the Rangers Tuesday night in the battle of New York.

A regulation-time loss to the Rangers, coupled with a Canadiens' victory over Boston on Tuesday, would eliminate the Islanders from playoff contention.

The Rangers have won three straight in the season series with the Islanders, including two in a row in Long Island.

Goalie Henrik Lundqvist has been in net for the last three victories, posting a 0.95 goals-against average in those games.

Carolina at Tampa Bay

The last two Stanley Cup champions meet in Tampa Bay Tuesday night in a critical game for both clubs.

With a victory and a Toronto loss, the Lightning would clinch their fourth straight playoff appearance.

A win could move the Hurricanes into a tie for eighth place, but they would be eliminated from the playoff race if they lose and Montreal defeats Boston.

Carolina snapped a three-game losing streak Sunday with a 4-3 overtime win over Florida, but are still on the verge of failing to qualify for the post-season.

"It was a gut-check kind of game, and we responded to it. We got behind, but the important thing is the end result," said forward Ray Whitney, who scored the winner. "It turned out to be a good day for us. We were up to the challenge this time."
  • Options
    Looks like Mtl is in the driver's seat with 3 games left. We win and no one can afford to lose (cept the laffs). Hopefully everything works out for us, and a win against the Leafs on Saturday will really be a great topic for conversation with my few Leafs' friends.
    - this puts blameable pressure on the other teams, i.e. c'mon Rags, beat the Isles!
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    What do you mean what do we do with Price? We're on overload with goalies. Of course sign him. Some of these guys should fetch a half decent return, but good luck finding anyone wanting to play in Mtl.

Well not in Montreal, he'd go to Hamilton.

No need for a trade for next year, Aebischer is out of here, Leighton will go elsewhere or in Hamilton, so it leaves Huet and Halak for next year, if Price is ready he'll be backup to Huet, with Halak in Hamilton. I think it looks good in the net for years to come, when Halak and Price will be NHL ready, then one of them (i say Halak) will have to be trade.
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Well not in Montreal, he'd go to Hamilton.

No need for a trade for next year, Aebischer is out of here, Leighton will go elsewhere or in Hamilton, so it leaves Huet and Halak for next year, if Price is ready he'll be backup to Huet, with Halak in Hamilton. I think it looks good in the net for years to come, when Halak and Price will be NHL ready, then one of them (i say Halak) will have to be trade.

I'd say Halak has a better chance of backing Huet next year than Price. What about Danis? I like Abby, too bad he's even streakier than Huet.
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    boy you change like the wind,

now youre rooting for The Icelanders ?
    Ahh no, but i am rooting for bruins cause it helps the leafs out.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    GO HABS!

(only cause I hate the Leafs more :) )
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    I'd say Halak has a better chance of backing Huet next year than Price. What about Danis? I like Abby, too bad he's even streakier than Huet.

I also like Halak chances of backing Huet next year, with Price being number 1 in Hamilton. I don't think much of Danis, probably a good backup material.

Hehe, you're probably the only Canadien fans who still like Abby :)
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    I also like Halak chances of backing Huet next year, with Price being number 1 in Hamilton. I don't think much of Danis, probably a good backup material.

Hehe, you're probably the only Canadien fans who still like Abby :)

I probably am, we're a fickle bunch :P
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:

haven't followed hamilton too much this year.. but i've heard that danis has not been so good of late?

as for abby.. i still like him - i think he's going to be a good starting goalie.. he just won't fit in here.
  • Options
    i guess there are a lot of habs fans out east.. saw a story today about a guy from NS who went to every arena - last stop montreal tonight, his favourite team.
  • Options
    Is it just me or do the boys look bloody terrible out there?
    We've had most of the second period as our own power play and they can't even get set up let alone get more than 1 scoring chance. No way do we deserve to be leading, not that I won't take it.
    Saw the Rags luck back into a 2-all tie, keep the lucky goals coming, eh?
  • Options
    Maybe I spoke too soon. 5 minutes left and it was great to see Saku undress that gunter Chara with a nifty move to pot his 2nd of the night.
    2 nothing, 4:30 left. C'mon boys, don't give up now!

edit: holy shit, incredible save by Thomas (i'm assuming it is thomas in goal for the B's) on a tic tac toe that by all rights was a sure goal for the Habs...nice nice nice...
  • Options
    Philly came back to tie the Leafs before the end of regulation, good job bottom dwellers!
    Carolina lost, excellent for us. 1 down, 2 to go.
  • Options
    it was toivoven in nets.. he really kept them in.

damn shame about the leafs.. but if we focus on our game it won't matter....

HALAK IT!
  • Options
    Yeah, sucky they won (Laffs) but we're still going strong, although I don't think we looked so great out there tonight, but a win is a win.
    Toivoven, eh? Hell of a save that was.
  • Options
    Are you scared Montreal it might still come down to game 82, i know i am.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013