Options

The Montreal Canadiens Thread

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    is TSN the same as Versus ?

we get stuck watching this one on Versus, which is just horrible.

the worst camera work in hockey, since the fox glowpuck.

I've never heard of Versus (other than your posts), but TSN is usually half-decent to watch. No glowing pucks, decent announcers and good coverage. CBC is the best hockey coverage we get in Canada, but unless your a Leafs fan it's usually not worth watching ;)
  • Options
    As much as I dislike bumping my own thread (yeah right!)...
    Too bad those tarts in Pittsburgh couldn't help us out, lazy buggers. Carolina beat one o' the worst teams in the league, but it'd have been laughable if they had lost. TO has a rough back to back Fri-Sat against Buffalo. C'mon boys, keep the wins coming.

Canadiens rally to beat Bruins
    The Montreal Canadiens staged a determined comeback Thursday night to keep pace in the playoff race.

CBC Sports
    Chris Higgins had one goal and three assists as the visiting Canadiens scored five unanswered goals in a 6-3 victory over the Bruins before a stunned crowd of 17,026 at TD Banknorth Garden.

Tomas Plekanec contributed one goal and two assists, followed by Andrei Markov with a goal and an assist.

Trailing 3-1, Plekanec snuck behind Boston's defence and potted his own rebound to spark a remarkable rally by the Canadiens, who had for four goals in seven minutes early in the third period.

Michael Ryder's power-play goal with 6:23 remaining made it five consecutive goals for the Canadiens (38-31-6).

Montreal has won five of its last six games to move into a tie with Carolina for the eighth and final playoff spot in the NHL Eastern Conference.

The Hurricanes clipped the Washington Capitals 4-3. Mike Johnson and rookie Maxim Lapierre also scored in support of rookie netminder Jaroslav Halak, who finished with 32 saves.

Saku Koivu provided two assists.

Phil Kessel led the Bruins (34-34-5) with a goal and an assist, while Marco Sturm and Mark Mowers had the other goals.

Tim Thomas gave up six goals on 30 shots as Boston lost for the sixth time in its last eight games.
  • Options
    OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    Things haven't been the same since Roy left. They still how ever beat the Bruins in the Playoffs.....
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Options
    Kovalev scores twice as Canadiens beat Rangers 6-4, chase Lundqvist

Canadiens win fifth straight
    By BILL BEACON

Montreal Canadiens Alex Kovalev celerates his goal against the New York Rangers in Montreal on Tuesday, March 27, 2007. (CP PHOTO/Ian Barrett)
    MONTREAL (CP) - Oft-criticized Alex Kovalev is earning rave reviews when the Montreal Canadiens need him most.

Kovalev scored two goals for a second straight game as the Canadiens got five in the second period to chase Henrik Lunqvist and defeat the New York Rangers 6-4 on Tuesday night. The fifth straight win by the Canadiens (40-31-6) ended the Rangers' five-game winning run.

It moved Montreal into a tie with seventh-place Tampa Bay with 86 points, one point behind the sixth-place Rangers. The Lighting have one more win than Montreal.

Kovalev, who also potted two in a 4-1 win over Washington on Saturday night, accomplished little through the first 70 games of the season, other than missing time with vertigo after a controversy over some alleged criticism of the team in a Russian magazine, which he denied.

He has only 18 goals for the season, but the big winger has been playing with an edge during the playoff drive - going to the net and taking punishment to score goals.

"Alex said it - he likes playing at this time of the year," said coach Guy Carbonneau. "It's his time.

"He's playing hard and he's saying the right things. He's showing he wants to make it to the playoffs and he's helping us do that."

Kovalev did not speak to the media because he was having treatment for a bad gash over an eye, which came from Matt Cullen's stick while he was scoring Montreal's first goal.

Steve Begin, Michael Ryder and Tomas Plekanec, with his 20th of the season, also scored in the second period and Mark Streit got one in the third for Montreal, which has won seven of its last eight games.

Michael Nylander and Paul Mara scored in the first frame and Thomas Pock and Cullen had goals in the third for New York (39-29-9), which suffered only its fifth regulation time loss in 23 matches.

Lundqvist, the first star in the NHL last week, went into the game with a .979 save percentage in his last five starts, but allowed four goals on only seven shots in the opening 9:47 of the middle period before he was pulled in favour of Steve Valiquette, who is filling in for injured back-up Kevin Weekes.

"You don't like to give up four goals in 10 minutes but it will happen," said Lundqvist, pulled for the first time in 23 games since a 5-1 loss to Ottawa on Jan. 11. "We played a good first period but they were all over us in the second.

"There were a lot of broken plays. They found loose pucks and pounded them in."

Kovalev got it started for Montreal when he slammed a shot from in front of the crease on a power play at 2:17.

Begin elected to shoot on a 2-on-1 only 32 seconds later and beat Lundqvist between the pads. Ryder scored on his own rebound at 4:36 and Plekanec finished a rush with Andrei Kostitsyn at 9:47 to end Lundqvist's night.

Kovalev was battling in front on a power play at 14:09 when Saku Koivu's pass went off a skate and off the big Russian for Montreal's fifth goal, tying a season high for goals in a period established in October against Colorado.

The Rangers came back with two goals in the third when Thomas Pock's floater from the point went in off Montreal centre Maxim Lapierre at 6:23 and Marek Malik's point shot deflected off Cullen at 7:38.

But Streit cooled the comeback when his change-up from the slot went in off Valiquette's stick at 13:03. Koivu got his fourth assist of the game on the goal.

"We came out flat in the first period, waiting for things to happen," said Koivu. "But we got back at it in the second.

"We wanted to come back, but five goals?" added Higgins. "We were pretty surprised.

"We were just trying to tie it, but we'll take it. It doesn't change much because the other teams are still around us and we're really not in any better shape, but it was a big win."

The two teams meet again on April 5 in New York in the next-to-last game of the season for both clubs.

"Sooner or later we knew we'd lose a game, but now the question is how we'll react," said Rangers star Jaromir Jagr. "We didn't play a bad game, we just had a bad 10 minutes.

"In the first period, they played like they were afraid to lose, and in the second they had nothing to lose. It was so quick. Five goals. And at home, the crowd got behind them and they just kept coming."

The noise was at playoff level among the 21,273 spectators as the two teams came out hitting, but Montreal took three straight minor penalties and it cost them.

On a two-man advantage, Nylander shot the rebound of Brandan Shanahan's point shot into an open side at 11:55.

With 45 seconds left in the period, Sean Avery hit a goalpost and the puck went to Mara at the point for a wrist shot that went in through a crowd in front of Jaroslav Halak.

The Rangers end a four-game road trip Saturday in Philadelphia. Montreal plays Friday night in Ottawa and Saturday night at home against Buffalo.

Notes - Brad Isbister was scratched for the Rangers. Karel Rachunek, Fedor Tyutin and Marcel Hossa are all out with sprained MCLs. Weekes is day-to-day with a quariceps injury. . . Montreal scratched Sergei Samsonov, Josh Gorges and Garth Murray. Alexander Perezhogin (concussion) and Cristobal Huet (hamstring) are sidelined.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Games/2007/03/27/3852137-cp.html
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    LETS' GO RANGER'S

please keep ur habs crap here
  • Options
    My Habs 'crap' is gonna go in your Rag thread as every situation permits.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    My Habs 'crap' is gonna go in your Rag thread as every situation permits.

ah yes i forget,,NO ONE CARES here lol
  • Options
    Well you keep coming back, so way to go!
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Well you keep coming back, so way to go!

i feel bad ,, but now i will let this fall down to page 30 lol

until the next game comes and u post
  • Options
    Your just sour that you got an ass kickin' last night. Suck it up, buttercup.
  • Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    Rygar wrote:
    Your just sour that you got an ass kickin' last night. Suck it up, buttercup.
    The Leafs are gonna make it and it could come down to the last game of the season, 6-1 over Carolina last night and next is Atlanta.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    The Leafs are gonna make it and it could come down to the last game of the season, 6-1 over Carolina last night and next is Atlanta.

Good confidence.
    At least you don't have our sked. Ugh.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Good confidence.
    At least you don't have our sked. Ugh.
    Well i gotta beleaf cause there still in the race and there mostly healthy, i was there for them last year, but they just didn't squeak in, so now i hope they stay healthy and squeak in this year, i say bring on the Sabres.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    You've still got a chance for revenge on us for last year, too, as we play sometime soon.
    Mtl has a terrible 5 game sked left.
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    is TSN the same as Versus ?

we get stuck watching this one on Versus, which is just horrible.

the worst camera work in hockey, since the fox glowpuck.
    No, Tsn is like ESPN, and is owned by ESPN actually, but us Canadians get some of Versus games on TSN, but we also get regular games broadcast by TSN, we usually get 3-4 games a week on TSN, that's including regional Maple Leafs games. Rogers Sportsnet also carries quite a bit of regional hockey like Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, but im not sure if they carry alot of Montreal games.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    No, Tsn is like ESPN, and is owned by ESPN actually, but us Canadians get some of Versus games on TSN, but we also get regular games broadcast by TSN, we usually get 3-4 games a week on TSN, that's including regional Maple Leafs games. Rogers Sportsnet also carries quite a bit of regional hockey like Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, but im not sure if they carry alot of Montreal games.

Here on the east coast most of our Sportsnet games are either Ottawa or Mtl (usually Ott). RDS covers almost all the Montreal games (RDS is french TSN).
  • Options
    So do you get RDS, well what happened to the fench cbc, don't they carry games on Saturday anymore ?
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    So do you get RDS, well what happened to the fench cbc, don't they carry games on Saturday anymore ?

Ever since I landed with RDS I've never even looked for French CBC. I would imagine they lost their rights to cover the games to RDS.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Ever since I landed with RDS I've never even looked for French CBC. I would imagine they lost their rights to cover the games to RDS.
    So do you even know french ?
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:

fries
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    fries
    New York Fries i do know, i like the works.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    New York Fries i do know, i like the works.

ur leafs thread is taking over AET,, rygar is miserable
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:

Not really, but enough to get me through a hockey game.
    My gf is French though, so I have help.
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    ur leafs thread is taking over AET,, rygar is miserable

Because you and I are arguing a few pages worth of replies into the thread.
  • Options
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=191512
    Notice he doesn't mention Montreal's media in there.
  • Options
    man.. i love how the habs always have to make it interesting for the fans at the end of the season..

for once, it would be nice not to just sneak in!
  • Options
    Another Habs fan! Post more often, hehe!

They're playing good hockey this month but the last 5 will be rough, specifically Buffalo, Ottawa and TO.
  • Options
    TO will be a piece of cake :).
  • Options
    TO will be a piece of cake :).
    Ya i know, itll be a piece of cake, just like the last time, whatever the leafs are getting in the playoffs plain and simple.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    Ya i know, itll be a piece of cake, just like the last time, whatever the leafs are getting in the playoffs plain and simple.

Habs - Leafs games are (almost) always intense. Usually you can just sit back and enjoy the action, but given the point ranges in the final playoff positions this year, these last 5 or 6 games for all teams are must wins.