The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    Not sure what that's supposed to mean? :?

Pittsburgh could give a shit about their team unless they have the best player in the league. That's a fact.

Not really...

Pittsburgh is always going to be a steelers town, but the Pens had one bad attendance year in 03-04 with a last place team, and AHL roster, and a lockout looming.. It's been over 15,000 every years since the 80's...

Any and all of my Pittsburgh friends were adamant that no one gives two shits about the Pens other than the obligatory die hard hockey people. They told me no one could care less when they won back to back in the 90's. They said it was a good party and all, but in all reality no one cared, it was just a reason to party. They'd rather see the Bucs get it together before the Pens won something again.
  • Make sure you guys clap & cheer when the scoreboard tells you to. :lol:

Not sure what that's supposed to mean? :?

That's my experience from 5/4/00 - they just sit there until the scoreboard says "Let's go Pens" - I just call 'em how I see 'em.

Also, 2/3 left before the game was over. 5 OT, but it's getting late, so let's go to bed.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16

• Pittsburgh could give a shit about their team unless they have the best player in the league. That's a fact.

Not really...

Pittsburgh is always going to be a steelers town, but the Pens had one bad attendance year in 03-04 with a last place team, and AHL roster, and a lockout looming.. It's been over 15,000 every years since the 80's...

Any and all of my Pittsburgh friends were adamant that no one gives two shits about the Pens other than the obligatory die hard hockey people. They told me no one could care less when they won back to back in the 90's. They said it was a good party and all, but in all reality no one cared, it was just a reason to party. They'd rather see the Bucs get it together before the Pens won something again.

Not sure what your friends are talking about, but baseball is like the 7th most popular sport in pittsburgh after the Steelers, Pens, high school football, bocce ball, lawn darts and cow tipping.

While yes, there are some fair weather fans, hockey is big there with a ton of rinks/amateur leagues, and even in the lean years you saw Penguin jerseys everywhere.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    baseball is like the 7th most popular sport in pittsburgh

sort of tough to root for a team that doesn't even try to win. it's pretty sad, because the pirates are an iconic, or at least used to be, franchise
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

sort of tough to root for a team that doesn't even try to win. it's pretty sad, because the pirates are an iconic, or at least used to be, franchise

Exactly. It's losing at a historical level. It's ridiculous really.

First, they need to get any hint of red out of their uni's, and that stupid pirate face logo they use. Just black white gold.

I guess they forget when they were winning 100 games with Barry Bonds.
    81 wrote:

Exactly. It's losing at a historical level. It's ridiculous really.

First, they need to get any hint of red out of their uni's, and that stupid pirate face logo they use. Just black white gold.

I guess they forget when they were winning 100 games with Barry Bonds.

uniforms are the least of the worries in the pirates organization. :lol:

i can root for a losing team as long as they are trying to get better. i can't respect a team that refuses to try to win.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    crosby looks like a rat. I really hate that dude with every fiber in my body. I hope pronger smears his ass tonight
    I swear, every penalty briere takes is in the offensive zone. He drives me nuts with that shit

EDIT: and there's the game tying goal. Can't take horrible penalties like that against good teams. Dumb, dumb hockey
    That was nasty.
    Entertaing first period
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    That was nasty.

I assume you're talking about zherdev's goal...that was pretty sick.

Good game, nice win. I don't think it's that big of a deal this early in the year, but it's always nice to beat cindy's squad
    Excellent game.

Flyers really need to get the pp going.

Terrible non call after the goalie interference. Should have been a roughing call.

Flyers, if they could hit an empty net could have won going away.

But hey, they are leading the nhl in points, althouh i am pretty sure detroit has games in hand
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,808
    Woo-hoo! Back in first :D Boosh is playing extremely well. Now if the sixers can win tonight.... (oh they did) best day in philly sports in awhile.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    81 wrote:
    Excellent game.

Terrible non call after the goalie interference. Should have been a roughing call.

But hey, they are leading the nhl in points, althouh i am pretty sure detroit has games in hand

Yeah, the PP was poop. Flyers dominated even strength play. Dumb penalties continue to kill this team (briere, cough, briere).

Nice win, long way to go in the season. This team is solid. Looks like we could be in for another fun ride this spring
  • A little surprised the game to me wasn't as intense as I thought it was going to be

The crowd wasn't really that loud for a rivalry game

Solid Effort...this team would be hell if they could bury half their PP's

Like clockwork I texted my buddy the Pens would get a late PP..and of course no call on Orpik to even it up

Richie was quiet tonight
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers

Richie was quiet tonight

so was crosby. probably not a coincidence, laviolette had them matched up from the opening faceoff
  • The Fixer wrote:

Richie was quiet tonight

so was crosby. probably not a coincidence, laviolette had them matched up from the opening faceoff

But Crosby got 2 points tonight, I guess that is kind of quiet for him.
    The Fixer wrote:

Richie was quiet tonight

But Crosby got 2 points tonight, I guess that is kind of quiet for him.

And an L. You forgot the L.
  • 81 wrote:
    Excellent game.

I only saw the 3rd period, and I thought the game would have had more of an edge... Good win by the flyguys tho.

I wasn't really bothered by the non call after the goalie interference. Clearly a stupid goalie interference, and Powe just stood there like a dope when Orpik gave him a shot. The one I was surprised at was a minute or so earlier when Talbot crosschecked someone from behind. But it seems like the refs hate to put a team down a man late in a one goal game.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    81 wrote:
    Excellent game.

I only saw the 3rd period, and I thought the game would have had more of an edge... Good win by the flyguys tho.

I wasn't really bothered by the non call after the goalie interference. Clearly a stupid goalie interference, and Powe just stood there like a dope when Orpik gave him a shot. The one I was surprised at was a minute or so earlier when Talbot crosschecked someone from behind. But it seems like the refs hate to put a team down a man late in a one goal game.

except when the rangers come to pittsburgh tonight and its 8-1 pp advantage for the pens
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    except when the rangers come to pittsburgh tonight and its 8-1 pp advantage for the pens

there was an article about this the other day on yahoo. (i couldn't find it again) anyways, over the last _____ amount of games, there was a single minute difference in penguins penalty minuts vs. their opponent penalty minutes

there was no analysis done on non calls which could impact the results. that would be a near impossible analysis to do.

but that non roughing call agaist powe was a joke. yeah, he ran over the goalie, but you can't let the other team come in and just clobber the guy
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The Fixer wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Yeah, the PP was poop.

it's driving me nuts. but even as bad as hit has been, they are pretty even on scoring. during the game the said the flyers were -1 goal on special teams and +32 during 5 on 5

if they ever get the PP going, they are goign to be lethal.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

there was an article about this the other day on yahoo. (i couldn't find it again) anyways, over the last _____ amount of games, there was a single minute difference in penguins penalty minuts vs. their opponent penalty minutes

there was no analysis done on non calls which could impact the results. that would be a near impossible analysis to do.

but that non roughing call agaist powe was a joke. yeah, he ran over the goalie, but you can't let the other team come in and just clobber the guy

maybe with the rest of the league..but when the rangers are there its waaaay lop-sided

including game 1 of the playoffs 3 years ago when crosby stepped on rosival's stick and fell but got a tripping call..with 1 minute left in a tied playoff game ..and then scored with 25 seconds left
    henrik called the league out 3 weeks ago about it after another lop-sided game there
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    81 wrote:

maybe with the rest of the league..but when the rangers are there its waaaay lop-sided

including game 1 of the playoffs 3 years ago when crosby stepped on rosival's stick and fell but got a tripping call..with 1 minute left in a tied playoff game ..and then scored with 25 seconds left
    henrik called the league out 3 weeks ago about it after another lop-sided game there

here it is

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... nt-6718153

pitt is the 3rd most penalized team in the league.

in the two games vs. teh rangers game 1 saw pens w/ 11 rangers w/ 23, second game was pens w/ 18, rangers w/ 14
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    i dont understand the numbers you typed..

not at MSG

but at mellon...its stupid..

3 weeks ago with had no pp's...in this day and age... :roll:
  • I don't mind the penalty calls but be consistent

I don't have all the box scores in front of me but it seems 9 times out 10 if the Flyers are winning in the last 2 to 3 minutes the Pens end up with a PP..how that wasn't an even up call on Powe and Orpik is beyond me

With that said the Flyers had 6 PP's and should of buried some of them

5 on 5 they play great

• i dont understand the numbers you typed..

not at MSG

Quit whining we just beat the hottest team in the NHL

:lol:

We softened them up for tonight no excuses

i dont understand the numbers you typed..

not at MSG

pitt and NY have played two games this this season

first game they played, pitt was given 11 penalty minutes and the rangers were called for 23 penalty minutes

in the second game they played, the pens were called for 18 penalty minutes and the rangers were whistled for 14 minutes

ironically enough, the ranges one that first game and lost the second. i looked at the box score for the first game and it took a short handed goal in teh last two minutes to send the game to OT.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/2 ... 020251.HTM

take special note of the 3rd period..with under 10 min left

zero freaking pp's crazy

anyway carry on