The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    they aren't physical enough. reminds me of the team before they brought laperriere in.

pronger, hartnell, simmonds are the only guys that hit. shelly and rinaldo don't count since they play 5 mins a game.

they have to get tougher. they're a bitch team. too easy to play against. pjhawks must love them

the games changed quite a bit the last few years ... hitting is a two-headed monster ... guys who hit also often get hurt ... and with guys not protecting themselves these days ... you can be down 5 games in a blink of an eye ...

this team just needs to jel and iron out their system and try and be healthy for the playoffs ... i think what the team really needs is another anchor on D ... they are a different team without Pronger in the lineup

they are actually pretty similar with and without him in the lineup.

You have to look at the numbers. Since his arrival in Philadelphia, Pronger has missed 35 regular season games. The Flyers are 17-11-7 in those games, good enough for a .585 points percentage. In games in which Pronger has played, the team has gone 77-51-12, a .593 point percentage. In other words, there has not been a great deal of difference in the winning percentages with or without Pronger.

THey are too easy to play against. that winnepeg game was a disgrace. amount of physical play was equivalent to an all star game. I know the game has changed, but you still have to clear the crease and take the body once in a while.

plenty of time for them to figure it out
    pjhawks wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    they aren't physical enough. reminds me of the team before they brought laperriere in.

pronger, hartnell, simmonds are the only guys that hit. shelly and rinaldo don't count since they play 5 mins a game.

they have to get tougher. they're a bitch team. too easy to play against. pjhawks must love them

the games changed quite a bit the last few years ... hitting is a two-headed monster ... guys who hit also often get hurt ... and with guys not protecting themselves these days ... you can be down 5 games in a blink of an eye ...

this team just needs to jel and iron out their system and try and be healthy for the playoffs ... i think what the team really needs is another anchor on D ... they are a different team without Pronger in the lineup

Fixer wants the Broad Street Bullies back because he thinks fighting is still such an integral part of the game :D it's all about pronger, timonen and giroux being healthy come playoff time. and really like bryzgalov even with a few subpar efforts. i think he will be more than fine this year. big upgrade for sure.

don't have to have the broad st bullies. don't even have to fight much. just can't have figure skaters at every position. they need to be more physical and harder to play against.

you obviously don't understand the game, so I don't know why I bother. the only thing important to you is scoring goals :roll:
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    The Fixer wrote:

You have to look at the numbers. Since his arrival in Philadelphia, Pronger has missed 35 regular season games. The Flyers are 17-11-7 in those games, good enough for a .585 points percentage. In games in which Pronger has played, the team has gone 77-51-12, a .593 point percentage. In other words, there has not been a great deal of difference in the winning percentages with or without Pronger.

THey are too easy to play against. that winnepeg game was a disgrace. amount of physical play was equivalent to an all star game. I know the game has changed, but you still have to clear the crease and take the body once in a while.

well, that's where Pronger comes in ... dude clears the crease and he outlets out to the forwards efficiently ... that's what every team needs from their key D guys ... and ideally the ability to anchor a PP ...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    when they have the puck on their stick in the offensive zone, they need to shoot 80% of the time....

you wanna fix something....fix the boneheaded turnovers....walker, hartnell, the other old D man....

i think it was the winnipeg game...flyers have the puck behind their net, no pressure....then the opponent gets some pressure, get the forecheck going and the flyers turn it over, and the puck ends up in the back of the net. you can't let that happen.

i think we all like physical play, i do...but it's the mental mistakes that are killing us right now....

when they don't turn it over, they do pretty good.

and imo, you need to forget the winnipeg game....those kind of games seem to happen about once a season...it's a blip

as for the pronger stat....

take a look at last years reg. season...one of the commentators on the opponents broadcast had the numbers and they were a story of two citites....good with pronger, crap without....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,430
    The Fixer wrote:
    don't have to have the broad st bullies. don't even have to fight much. just can't have figure skaters at every position. they need to be more physical and harder to play against.

you obviously don't understand the game, so I don't know why I bother. the only thing important to you is scoring goals :roll:

that's not true at all. never said the physical game wasn't important but phsyical doesn't have to mean fighting. give me a rich tocchet type over a jody shelley any day. goons like shelley are worthless and take up space in my opinion. i want players with hockey talent and skill - is that so wrong?
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

well, that's where Pronger comes in ... dude clears the crease and he outlets out to the forwards efficiently ... that's what every team needs from their key D guys ... and ideally the ability to anchor a PP ...

no doubt he's their best player (well, I guess you can start to argue giroux at this point). pronger isn't the problem...it's the marys that go out there and avoid contact

only 11 games in so it's still early. My first impression is that this team looks soft.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

that's not true at all. never said the physical game wasn't important but phsyical doesn't have to mean fighting. give me a rich tocchet type over a jody shelley any day. goons like shelley are worthless and take up space in my opinion. i want players with hockey talent and skill - is that so wrong?

I guess you don't know that tocchet has the most penalty minutes in flyers history. he fought a lot

I never said fighting = physical play. big difference obviously
    The Fixer wrote:
    no doubt he's their best player (well, I guess you can start to argue giroux at this point). pronger isn't the problem...it's the marys that go out there and avoid contact

only 11 games in so it's still early. My first impression is that this team looks soft.

they may be ... but i think the game's changed ... look at the leafs ... brian burke is a proponent of the kind of hockey players you are probably referring to ... but frig ... our top two lines probably have 3 non-cursory checks amongst them ...

sure, everyone would love to have the lindros or wendel clarks ... but those guys also don't last long in the league ... you want a less soft team - be prepared to pay for it in IL time ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

they may be ... but i think the game's changed ... look at the leafs ... brian burke is a proponent of the kind of hockey players you are probably referring to ... but frig ... our top two lines probably have 3 non-cursory checks amongst them ...

sure, everyone would love to have the lindros or wendel clarks ... but those guys also don't last long in the league ... you want a less soft team - be prepared to pay for it in IL time ...

not saying every guy has to play hard nosed like that (obviously briere isn't gonna be that guy). it's just nice to have guys that are physical and more difficult to play against. I understand that an ideal team is made up of guys that each have a role...different skillsets. early in this season I think the flyers are going to have to add some grit.

you can notice that giroux has gotten chippy the last few games. he should absolutely not be the guy bringing that stuff to the team

Maybe I just miss richards too much. I loved the fact that every shift he was out there he was hunting dudes
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

clark played 793 regular season games....

Lindros played 760 regular season games...

not exactly short careers, but they were cut short.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

ya ... but a lot of those guys played many of those games in the end as half the men they were ...
    81 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

those are just two guys. dudes like claude lemeiux, esa tikkanen, gary roberts. they all played until they were 200 years old.
    The Fixer wrote:
    not saying every guy has to play hard nosed like that (obviously briere isn't gonna be that guy). it's just nice to have guys that are physical and more difficult to play against. I understand that an ideal team is made up of guys that each have a role...different skillsets. early in this season I think the flyers are going to have to add some grit.

you can notice that giroux has gotten chippy the last few games. he should absolutely not be the guy bringing that stuff to the team

Maybe I just miss richards too much. I loved the fact that every shift he was out there he was hunting dudes

ya ... there's a fine line for sure ... similar to what i said about the eagles when they looked bad ... i think this team will be fine ... they will get to the playoffs and then we'll see how healthy they are and whether their D can get the pucks to your stacked forward lines ...
    The Fixer wrote:
    those are just two guys. dudes like claude lemeiux, esa tikkanen, gary roberts. they all played until they were 200 years old.

there aren't a lot of these guys in the league anymore ... and that's because the game has changed ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

there aren't a lot of these guys in the league anymore ... and that's because the game has changed ...

hmm, never thought of it like that, but I guess you're right.

bobby ryan, milan lucic, iginla. wow, that's all I can think of (that can score anyway).

I like talbot. They are going to need another guy or two of that ilk.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,430
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I guess you don't know that tocchet has the most penalty minutes in flyers history. he fought a lot

I never said fighting = physical play. big difference obviously

i do know that about tocchet actually. i loved tocchet. i guess my biggest problem with fighting today (well other than the contradiction of a league trying to get rid of blows to the head but allowing punches to the head) is that we have guys that can only fight pretty much and i see no purpose to having guys like jody shelley in the league. hey but that's just me.
  • I think pjhawks has a good point in that you probably don't need the Todd Fedoreks and the like who just take up space on the bench (and against the cap) until it's time to fight. Tocchet was a multifaceted player who could drop the gloves if needed, and also drop a hat trick on the Devils in the playoffs. It's not even close to the same thing.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I think pjhawks has a good point in that you probably don't need the Todd Fedoreks and the like who just take up space on the bench (and against the cap) until it's time to fight. Tocchet was a multifaceted player who could drop the gloves if needed, and also drop a hat trick on the Devils in the playoffs. It's not even close to the same thing.

without fighting there would be more injuries in the NHL. guys could skate around throwing cheap shots with no reprecussions. I have no problem with teams having a fighter on their roster. The fourth line only gets a handful of minutes a game anyway.

Plus I really like watching the fights. I didn't think there was anyone that didn't
  • The Fixer wrote:
    I think pjhawks has a good point in that you probably don't need the Todd Fedoreks and the like who just take up space on the bench (and against the cap) until it's time to fight. Tocchet was a multifaceted player who could drop the gloves if needed, and also drop a hat trick on the Devils in the playoffs. It's not even close to the same thing.

without fighting there would be more injuries in the NHL. guys could skate around throwing cheap shots with no reprecussions. I have no problem with teams having a fighter on their roster. The fourth line only gets a handful of minutes a game anyway.

Plus I really like watching the fights. I didn't think there was anyone that didn't

I'm not saying to ban fighting. But you should be able to play a line of guys who can play a little bit (at least not get destroyed whenever they're on the ice) and be able to drop the gloves. If you can play your 4th line a lot, at least in the regular season, you'll save a lot of wear & tear on the roster. (would've really helped last year)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • I agree the team needs some more grit but they should still be gritty with the guys they have. Hartnell,Simmonds,Talbot,Pronger.

Another D-man who can play solid D and clean the porch would be great

The one thing over the entire life of the Flyers except maybe in the 70's they have too many muckers and grinders and no real superstars. This franchise loves the Podein's and Klatt's which is fine as complimentary players. For far too long they ignored the European players. Let's be honest since the teams in the 70's which had bonified HOF'ers name me some players since then that are no doubt HOF'ers that have played here for more than 5-7yrs ?

This team has great potential with the young nucleus I just think they're a piece or two away from being great. They always add a guy like a Mellanby which helps but doesn't get you over the top.
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Ryan who? Good start
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • :x

• Well they played for 20 mins anyway

• 6-0-2 in their last 8 in Buff

:)

Buffalo controlled the final 40 mintues...and would have been shut out, save to fluky bounces.

take the 2 points, head home and get ready for the Devils
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    i thought Lilja was suppose to be a solid old d man....he's not been very impressive so far....

i'd rather have O'Donnell back there
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    i thought Lilja was suppose to be a solid old d man....he's not been very impressive so far....

He's been terrible

I'd take a call-up at this point

81 wrote:

He's been terrible

they called up Gustafsson and he played 17 some odd minutes tonight....didn't really notice him much..i'll have to keep an eye out on him going forward

and who the hell is Ben Holmstrom? he played a handful of minutes

they need to find a way to play the 4th line a little more.

Ben played 4:57, Jody 3:28 and Rinaldo 3:37

I wish we could dump jody and bring back Harry :lol:

anyways, you can't go thru a season playing the 4th line so little. he is going to kill Claude playing him 25 minutes a game. Claude is a great player and is young, but you can't do that shit with him over the course of long season.

any word on Pronger?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

He's been terrible

they called up Gustafsson and he played 17 some odd minutes tonight....didn't really notice him much..i'll have to keep an eye out on him going forward

and who the hell is Ben Holmstrom? he played a handful of minutes

they need to find a way to play the 4th line a little more.

Ben played 4:57, Jody 3:28 and Rinaldo 3:37

I wish we could dump jody and bring back Harry :lol:

anyways, you can't go thru a season playing the 4th line so little. he is going to kill Claude playing him 25 minutes a game. Claude is a great player and is young, but you can't do that shit with him over the course of long season.

any word on Pronger?

I worked late didn't see any of the game but I agree they need to cut back on his minutes

I assume Holmstrom was brought up because of Danny being out. Harry was called up but scratched.

Haven't heard on Pronger I dont think he's even cleared to skate yet

• Haven't heard on Pronger I dont think he's even cleared to skate yet

I thought they said he was skating during the game last night.