The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    81 wrote:
    Flyers captain Mike Richards(notes) headlines a list of five players that need offseason surgery. Philadelphia general manager Paul Holmgren made the announcement Tuesday.

Richards needs wrist surgery. Goalie Michael Leighton(notes) (hip), center Blair Betts(notes) (finger), defenseman Andrej Meszaros(notes) (wrist) and winger Kris Versteeg(notes) (stomach muscle) also need surgery.

Holmgren says forwards Scott Hartnell(notes) and Jeff Carter(notes) will both be evaluated for hip issues. The Flyers could know Friday if they need surgery.

Defenseman Chris Pronger(notes) is dealing with a painful lower back problem that led to diminished leg strength. Pronger played in only three of the Flyers’ 11 postseason games. Surgery has not been ruled out.

apparently richards dealt with wrist problems all season. beast

hopefully carter gets that scrotum implant he has been considering.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,370
    The Fixer wrote:
    hopefully carter gets that scrotum implant he has been considering.

New Rx - Vagisil wasn't working.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    speaking of Lindros
    Rule changes designed to speed up the game in the National Hockey League are partly to blame for the rash of concussions plaguing the sport at the moment.

At least that's the opinion of someone who knows all too well the effects repeated blows to the head can have on a player's career.

Eric Lindros was often considered The Next One when he broke into the league in 1992. He won the Hart Trophy as the league's MVP in 1995, but injuries -- not the least of which were four concussions -- blighted the latter half of his 14-season career, which ended with Dallas in 2007.

"The game has changed; the rules have changed," the Big E said Monday night from Toronto just before heading out to play the game he loves so much.

"They did away with the red line (for the two-line offside pass), so the rate of speed through the neutral zone is much higher. Defencemen can't help their partners by slowing opponents down between the blue line and the top of the circle and goalies can't play the puck behind the goal line outside that (trapezoid) area.

"Would Raffi Torres have been coming through the neutral zone as fast as he was otherwise?" he added of the Vancouver forward's hit on Brent Seabrook of the Chicago Blackhawks during their fist-round playoff series, which earned Torres an interference penalty, but no suspension. "Everyone's being so reactive right now, but the problem's actually been there for a long time. I think there are some strides being made, though."

That may be because more players are speaking up, Lindros said.

"Players are coming to the forefront more, being more honest about their conditions," he said. "But it's a two-edged sword. Once you get tagged with the reputation (of being concussion-prone), the amount of space you get on the ice pre-concussion as opposed to post-concussion is a lot different."

But what about those blatant elbow-to-the-head artists, such as the Pittsburgh Penguins' Matt Cooke?

"There are a handful of players in the league who fall into that category in a large way and Matt Cooke is one of them," Lindros said. "And you know what the unfortunate part is? When the time comes for him to be a free agent, some general manager will sign him and pay him more than someone who kills penalties or plays on the power play because of his -- I can't really find another word for it -- trashy style of play.

"And there's a large political scene in these situations. Colin Campbell (NHL vice-president and director of hockey operations, who dishes out the suspensions) is in a tough position, but there are a lot of back-door things done. Certain teams get taken care of differently than others, no question."

To that end, Lindros suggested an independent panel of three people meet to determine suspensions for illegal hits.

Last week, his former Philadelphia teammate and captain, Keith Primeau, acknowledged the effects of the concussions he sustained have left him "with good days and bad days." His biggest fear was a rapid deterioration as he got older. Lindros said he has no such concerns.

"I feel very good," he said. "I feel healthy and I'm fortunate to feel as good as I do."

Adding to his feel-good factor was Monday's announcement that Lindros, 38, will be one of 10 inductees into the London Sports Hall of Fame this November.

"London's always been known a a great sports city and I'm honoured to be among them," said the former LMHA and Red Circle player, whose family moved to Toronto when he was still a young boy. "I really just love the game and I love to play. It's a beautiful game and if played correctly, there are no barriers."

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:steve.green@sunmedia.ca">steve.green@sunmedia.ca</a><!-- e -->
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    good to see it only takes Snider 23 years to get annoyed at the lack of goaltending. probably trying to figure out how to get more money out of the die-hards.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    pjhawks wrote:
    good to see it only takes Snider 23 years to get annoyed at the lack of goaltending. probably trying to figure out how to get more money out of the die-hards.

whats the deal with the media?

do they ask this question every day? whats the team's response?

do the fans voice themselves? or do you actually believe in the waterboy?

it really boggles my brain as you have probably noticed....you can't win w/ out one....i just don't get it

set aside im a rangers fan for a minute and give some real answers
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    pjhawks wrote:

it really boggles my brain as you have probably noticed....you can't win w/ out one....i just don't get it

well, duh, you need a goal tender. tough to play 60 minutes of empty net hockey and win. :lol:

it's not like they are not trying. sometimes you never know who is going to blossom.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

well, duh, you need a goal tender. tough to play 60 minutes of empty net hockey and win. :lol:

it's not like they are not trying. sometimes you never know who is going to blossom.

yea but when you have a squad good enough to win it all...why not go full out to get a better guy ? granted their aren't great goalies laying around but the goalie who won the cup last year changed teams
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    one of the new thoughts is, you just put joe blow between the pipes and as long as he doesn't give up softies you have a shot.

however, bouch gave up a ton of softies during this playoff run.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    81 wrote:
    one of the new thoughts is, you just put joe blow between the pipes and as long as he doesn't give up softies you have a shot.

however, bouch gave up a ton of softies during this playoff run.

Correct..they added some depth at defense and hoped that would be enough and they wouldnt need a STUD goalie

Of course with Pronger out and the goalies letting in everything that theory went out the window

The best goalie in the league doesn't win the Cup every year..not even close
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers

case in point....The Rangers barely make the playoffs and can't get past round 1, as is the case for the sabers.

yet teams like San Jose plug in cup winning castoff goalies and are the brink of collapse.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    pjhawks wrote:

there was actually an article last year where Clarkie (still a vp or something or other) actually said that all you need is an average goalie and all the signings he made at goalie were the right moves. the problem is the flyers goalies have rarely been even average.

as for the fans - flyers fans to me are like penn state fans. rarely angry when they don't win. they kind of just sail along year after year enjoying themselves. it's wild because we are so negative towards the eagles and phillies most of the time but no one ever seems to get run out of town for the flyers. year after year it's the same song and dance for this organization. the biggest issue for me as a flyers fan is back in the 90s before the salary cap, when we had the best player in the game for a few years, and were a big money franchise, snider and his boys skimped out on free agents instead of being the Yankees and now Phillies by opening their wallets and getting the best. that this franchise hasn't won a cup in 36 years is ridiculous. they've always been a big market team for hockey and still can't win it all. with the salary cap today it's obviously a different ballgame, but they blew their chances in the 90s because they hated lindros and his parents and didn't spend the money to win at all costs.
    81 wrote:

case in point....The Rangers barely make the playoffs and can't get past round 1, as is the case for the sabers.

yet teams like San Jose plug in cup winning castoff goalies and are the brink of collapse.

rangers don't have the team the flyers have..nor do the sabres

however both teams are building in the right direction and soon will 8-)
    81 wrote:

rangers don't have the team the flyers have..nor do the sabres

however both teams are building in the right direction and soon will 8-)

But...if a goalie can get hot and is as good as those 2 the team in front of them wasn't great the GREAT goalie would mask a lot of holes and carry the team

There is no exact science to winning it all...every year is a different story just about

A solid not great goalie can win multiple cups in the right environment and system (ie Osgood)

Done deal my friends !!

http://www.csnphilly.com/05/12/11/Sourc ... feedID=704

Sources: Flyers to host Rangers in Winter Classic

Thursday, May 12, 2011
    Posted: 6:58 p.m. | Updated: 10:54 p.m.

By Tim Panaccio
    CSNPhilly.com

The Flyers will host the 2012 Winter Classic at Citizens Bank Park, according to league sources, on Jan. 2 -- a day after when the event is usually held.

As CSNPhilly.com reported last month, because the Eagles and Redskins are playing on Jan. 1 at Lincoln Financial Field (assuming an NFL season and end of the lockout), the league was considering moving the game back a day because, sources said, the NHL did not want to go head to head with the NFL on New Year's Day. Citizens Bank Park was the only option if the game were to be held in Philadelphia.

This will mark the second time in three years the Flyers are playing in the Winter Classic. They lost at Boston's Fenway Park in 2010 to the Bruins. This will be the fifth Winter Classic for the NHL and second in succession in Pennsylvania.

The Penguins hosted this year's event at Heinz Field against Washington. PhillyBurbs.com first reported Thursday night that the 2012 event would be held at Citizens Bank Park.

i guess my crew is going into enemy territory...this should be interesting

How about HBO 24/7 with Lavy and Torts ?

:lol:

How about HBO 24/7 with Lavy and Torts ?

i loved the show when it had 2 teams i despise..so yea that would work for me
    I guess.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • So everybody was bitching about the Pens being in 2 Winter Classics in 4 years and here are the Flyers getting 2 out of 3. :roll:

Guess we now know who Buttman really loves more, eh?
  • FearTheBeardFearTheBeard Posts: 666
    This thread is dead... Again
    Jan 2nd is a monday. why not play it on the 31st? I guess monday will be the official holiday since new years day is a sunday but still don't understand it.
    pjhawks wrote:
    Jan 2nd is a monday. why not play it on the 31st? I guess monday will be the official holiday since new years day is a sunday but still don't understand it.
    Yeah that's why because of where the holiday falls.. plus New Years Eve with those drunk idiots something bad would happen

So everybody was bitching about the Pens being in 2 Winter Classics in 4 years and here are the Flyers getting 2 out of 3. :roll:

I don't think I bitched about it

A little surprised it's the flyers again but I knew Snider would get his way

So everybody was bitching about the Pens being in 2 Winter Classics in 4 years and here are the Flyers getting 2 out of 3. :roll:

I don't think I bitched about it

A little surprised it's the flyers again but I knew Snider would get his way

based on wanting to do it in the north with american teams, its not suprising the flyers are in it again.

realistically, you are looking at a rotation of chicago, detroit, pitt, philly, boston, and the new york teams. maybe washington, st louis or columbus mixed, assuming the latter two programs put solid products on the ice.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    OH BY THE WAY...NYC IS COMING DOWN

baseball bats in the trunk so don't even make the mistake...

Sooooooo uh.... lets talk tickets
    :D

that should be interesting.....gotta figure out the setup and what sections would give best sites

obviously all the way down will probably suck view wise

that should be interesting.....gotta figure out the setup and what sections would give best sites

obviously all the way down will probably suck view wise

Yeah.. I'm assuming the ice would run 1st to 3rd base across the pitchers mound

If that's the case sections in the 200's along 1st and 3rd would be money

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,536
    i thought monday was stupid at first....but then you gotta think all the bowl games will be moved to then instead of going up against the nfl too.

nye, birds finale, this hockey thing----BOOM.....that is gonna be one hell of a new years weekend in philly :shock: :thumbup:
    www.myspace.com