Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Lindros, the worst trade ever.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    81 wrote:

i am assuming you mean flyers to nordiques? if so you are so wrong. not Lindros' fault clarkie was an idiot and jerk. lindros brought the franchise back and helped get a new stadium built and kept him from the Rangers. flyers would have not won with forsberg and the shit that clarkie surrounded him with.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    i broke a $200 pair of shades as soon as the arbitrator awarded him to the flyers..i'll never forget that moment ..snapped them in half
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    fucking larry bertuzzi

mike ricci ..hextall,chris simon,kerry huffman and steve duchesne and forsberg
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    and jocelyn thibault was the draft pick in the trade
    pjhawks wrote:
    81 wrote:

i am assuming you mean flyers to nordiques? if so you are so wrong. not Lindros' fault clarkie was an idiot and jerk. lindros brought the franchise back and helped get a new stadium built and kept him from the Rangers. flyers would have not won with forsberg and the shit that clarkie surrounded him with.
    one of the worst trades of all time in any sport. Flyers screwed the poch on that deal.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    it did build the avs into a cup winning team

gave them one part but Patrick Roy and Joe Sakic had just as much to do with it as Peter Forsberg. Personally my opinion the Flyers were better off with Lindros than if they had Forsberg/Ricci and the other slop in that trade. Lindros was a more dominant force. not his fault clarkie surrounding him with shit and snider and clarke hated his mother.
    pjhawks wrote:

gave them one part but Patrick Roy and Joe Sakic had just as much to do with it as Peter Forsberg. Personally my opinion the Flyers were better off with Lindros than if they had Forsberg/Ricci and the other slop in that trade. Lindros was a more dominant force. not his fault clarkie surrounding him with shit and snider and clarke hated his mother.

joe sakic is my favorite player ever....he did it 8-)
    and jocelyn thibault was the draft pick in the trade

who was part of the ROY trade.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    pjhawks wrote:

sure it takes a team, but you don't trade half your team for one player, unless you are trading a bunch of chumps.

at the time, Hextall was a pretty good goalie, and we know what Forsberg turned out to be. add on the other pieces and $15M in cash and you have one of the worst trades of all time.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    i guess on the bright side, they didn't trade Hasek for Stephane Beauregard
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,372
    Lindros was a spectacular and underrated player, but the trade was phenominally lopsided. Flyers had a really good core of players building up and pretty much had to start over. Ricci was a really good player.

And both of the other 2 teams in that crazy transaction won Stanley Cups shortly thereafter. :twisted:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lindros took the flyers to the stanley cup finals and made stars out of non-star players (renberg in particular) ... his style of play and the subsequent concussions cut short a player with tremendous talent ... i think the value of the trade is debatable ... but i wouldn't put it anywhere near the worst trade of all time ...

hard to get guys that play like lindros ... if they concerned themselves with concussions back then like they do now ... could be a different story for him ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    lindros took the flyers to the stanley cup finals and made stars out of non-star players (renberg in particular) ... his style of play and the subsequent concussions cut short a player with tremendous talent ... i think the value of the trade is debatable ... but i wouldn't put it anywhere near the worst trade of all time ...

hard to get guys that play like lindros ... if they concerned themselves with concussions back then like they do now ... could be a different story for him ...

if it was just Forsberg and any one of the other players/draft picks for lindors, i could agree. But if you look at the states and Forsberg and Lindros are pretty close. So at the end of the day, you gave up a whole lot to get nothing incremental.

maybe we are singing a different story if lindros doesn't get his head scrambled, but what happens if peter doesn't have all his injuries?

Just for comparison
    Lindros 760 games, 372 goals and 493 assists. that's 1.14 points per game
    Peter coms in at 708, 249 and 636 or 1.25 points per game

i wish they would break assists into primary and seconday.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    the entire team needed an ass kicking in the final 2 months of the regular season. Boston provided it. hopefully, that inspires the entire team next season.

I will say kind of a baby move by Richards not to face the media and not call in for the conference call at the end of the year

Lindros-esque after the DET sweep

i personally could care less about players talking to the media. Richards has never had a good relationship with them. winning and the desire to win are more important to me than a few blurbs. you also know with richards, it's going to be yes no answers with little insight.

The media can be dicks but they are an extension of the fans

And as a fan I'd like to hear what the players have to say..especially after they shit the bed

Players never look at it that way but the media asks questions that I'd like answered
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    81 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

if it was just Forsberg and any one of the other players/draft picks for lindors, i could agree. But if you look at the states and Forsberg and Lindros are pretty close. So at the end of the day, you gave up a whole lot to get nothing incremental.

maybe we are singing a different story if lindros doesn't get his head scrambled, but what happens if peter doesn't have all his injuries?

Just for comparison

You're forgetting one HUGE part of the equation the Flyers are/were notorious for not liking the Eureopean style player

For this particular trade it was obvious to me anyway they wanted a good ol Canadian boy rather than a Swedish Star

Overall if they kept Forsberg who knows..with Hexy and a few more pieces they coulda won a cup here
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    the entire team needed an ass kicking in the final 2 months of the regular season. Boston provided it. hopefully, that inspires the entire team next season.

I will say kind of a baby move by Richards not to face the media and not call in for the conference call at the end of the year

Lindros-esque after the DET sweep

i personally could care less about players talking to the media. Richards has never had a good relationship with them. winning and the desire to win are more important to me than a few blurbs. you also know with richards, it's going to be yes no answers with little insight.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

who cares what these guys say to the media??? it has zero relevance whatsoever.

andy reid gets ripped for his boring press conferences all the time (even after wins). drives me insane
    pjhawks wrote:

I agree with PP here. the flyers were one of the worst teams in the league when they got lindros. he singlehandedly rejuvenated the franchise.

people look back and see how the talent played out after the trade, but I will always believe that was a good trade for the flyers.

it's not his fault they wouldn't bring in cujo, richter, or any other competent goalies
    81 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Just for comparison

opposing players killed on ice...

lindros - 713

forsberg - 0

that trade was much more than just point production
    The Fixer wrote:
    opposing players killed on ice...

lindros - 713

forsberg - 0

that trade was much more than just point production

there is no denying that lindros was a mosnter on the ice. they just gave up way to much to get him.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    81 wrote:

Just for comparison

i like forsberg ... i like the brand of hockey he plays ... i don't think he was a typical european player when he was going strong ... hence his battle with injuries ... but guys like lindros don't come often ... it's hard to say what would have happened because the nordiques/avs went thru a lot of lean years to be able to get forsberg, sakic, hejduk and roy together ...

i think all you can ask for is a chance at the cup and he was unquestionably the guy who took ya to the cup final ...
    The Fixer wrote:

this is one thing you and i agree on. i always thought the hit on Dackel of Ottawa was the best. remember watching it live, it was so damn loud. and if Eric was in his prime in today's era and style of hockey he would be completey 100% unstoppable. even in that shit era of clutch and grab hockey him and LeClair were basically unstoppable. imagine today where you couldn't grab, slash or hold them - they would be amazing. Eric is so underappreciated by the fans and organization. greatest talent they ever had, even if he and his family were a bit crazy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Z7-XRPcrw

SHAME HE SKATED WITH HIS HEAD DOWN AT TIMES

let me say he was one of my faves as i mentioned

i always played the game like him..big power forward who loved to hit ;)

wore his jerseys all the time

this clip is much better :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH9bAAxh_mk
    You forget what he was with time sapping our memory. He was a beast.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The Fixer wrote:

can't find a clip of the sat afternoon game when he had 3 AGAINST the flyers at MSG but i have goood memory
    The Fixer wrote:

can't find a clip of the sat afternoon game when he had 3 AGAINST the flyers at MSG but i have goood memory

I honestly dont remember that. I forgot he played for the NYR. I had that permanently deleted from my memory bank.
    Flyers captain Mike Richards(notes) headlines a list of five players that need offseason surgery. Philadelphia general manager Paul Holmgren made the announcement Tuesday.

Richards needs wrist surgery. Goalie Michael Leighton(notes) (hip), center Blair Betts(notes) (finger), defenseman Andrej Meszaros(notes) (wrist) and winger Kris Versteeg(notes) (stomach muscle) also need surgery.

Holmgren says forwards Scott Hartnell(notes) and Jeff Carter(notes) will both be evaluated for hip issues. The Flyers could know Friday if they need surgery.

Defenseman Chris Pronger(notes) is dealing with a painful lower back problem that led to diminished leg strength. Pronger played in only three of the Flyers’ 11 postseason games. Surgery has not been ruled out.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg