The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    The Fixer wrote:
    kaleta is out tonight. rumor has it that richards gave him a concussion too (seriously).

grier might also be out.

Without Kaleta, who is going to motivate Brierre to make locker room speeches? ;)

These guys are dropping like flies

I noticed the last game in OT the guys on their bench looked gassed

heads down after shifts
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    kaleta is out tonight. rumor has it that richards gave him a concussion too (seriously).

grier might also be out.

Without Kaleta, who is going to motivate Brierre to make locker room speeches? ;)

heads down after shifts

Hurricane Richie took out half of their roster.

Pronger supposed to get more minutes tonight? Or same role as sunday?
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,378

heads down after shifts

Both teams have played their asses off, and the Flyers are deeper.

I smell a 5-1 win. 8-)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    A little snippet from this blog putting the goaltending in perspective

http://anthonysintheroom.blogspot.com/

On another note, after getting back to the hotel and flipping on the television, it really got my goat at how embellished the analysis of the Flyers goaltending was tending to be.

Barry Melrose called it the worst goaltending he's ever seen in the playoffs. Matthew Barnaby called it a joke. People were laughing at the Flyers goalies right on television.

Jeremy Roenick rolled a pair of dice on T.V. and said it came up with Boucher's number for Game 7.

Look, all three Flyers goalies have had first periods to forget for sure. But, let's break this down for a second, shall we?

Brian Boucher's goals against average in the playoffs is 2.12. That's the third best of any goalie who has started in the postseason. His save percentage is .938. That's tied for third-best in the playoffs.

If it really was the worst goaltending ever in the playoffs, wouldn't he be like 16th or something? Let's not exaggerate for exaggeration's sake please.

Also, where's the outcry for other goalies?

Sure Ryan Miller has two shutouts, but in the other four games he's allowed 16 goals. Why don't we hear anything about that 4.00 GAA in his 1-3 games?

Anybody outside of Vancouver screaming about Roberto Luongo as the Canucks are on the brink of an historic choke job?

Anyone criticizing the play of Antti Niemi in San Jose that he's been yanked twice in five games, or does the fact that he has a Stanley Cup on his resume protect him from any criticism?

Or is it just that it's easy to pick on the Flyers?

That's probably the more likely scenario for a bunch of blabbermouths who sit in a green room all day and watch games on TV and don't actually come out to see the games in person.

Look, the Flyers goaltending situation is not ideal. I've even been critical of it this week - but at least do so in context. Say Sergei Bobrovsky has talent, but just isn't ready for playoff hockey as a rookie.

Say Michael Leighton is a different goalie after back surgery this season than he was last season.

And give Boucher credit for how he's played save the opening four minutes of Game 5.

Otherwise, don't say anything at all, because you sound like a sanctimonious dope.

heads down after shifts

Both teams have played their asses off, and the Flyers are deeper.

I smell a 5-1 win. 8-)

I can't believe this series lasted this long. Buffalo doesn't belong on the same ice as the flyers.

Game 7's are brutal. Hopefully they put it away early
    The Fixer wrote:

I haven't heard word on Pronger but BOB is backing up Boosh tonight

• UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    The Fixer wrote:

I haven't heard word on Pronger but BOB is backing up Boosh tonight

Im thinking Pronger will still be limited......even after his bench comment the other night haha

I think the reason people are being so critical on the Flyers' goaltending is the fact that the majority of Buffalo's goals have been quite weak.......
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    The Fixer wrote:
    richard is an all around player. he does a little bit of everything. comparing him to betts is brilliant stuff by you :lol::lol: . that's one for the pjhawks wall of shame. We're running out of space here.

you know they lost 2 games 1-0 right? that means they didn't score any goals in either game. they have lost 3 games. in two of those losses they haven't scored a goal. think about that really, really hard. I bet you reconsider the gaolie vs PP thing.

i didn't compare him to betts. i said he was a better vesrion of betts. reading comprehension or do you just like to twist what people say? at no point did i say betts was better or they are better off with betts over richards. understand? or what was too difficult for you?

as for offense vs. goaltending the series would be over if not for the offense coming up massive in 2 of the wins including the easter sunday debacle. must be the offenses fault the flyers did have a shutout all season long either? their goaltending sucks. not sure how you argue differently. stop looking just at the numbers.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    richard is an all around player. he does a little bit of everything. comparing him to betts is brilliant stuff by you :lol::lol: . that's one for the pjhawks wall of shame. We're running out of space here.

you know they lost 2 games 1-0 right? that means they didn't score any goals in either game. they have lost 3 games. in two of those losses they haven't scored a goal. think about that really, really hard. I bet you reconsider the gaolie vs PP thing.

i didn't compare him to betts. i said he was a better vesrion of betts. reading comprehension or do you just like to twist what people say? at no point did i say betts was better or they are better off with betts over richards. understand? or what was too difficult for you?

as for offense vs. goaltending the series would be over if not for the offense coming up massive in 2 of the wins including the easter sunday debacle. must be the offenses fault the flyers did have a shutout all season long either? their goaltending sucks. not sure how you argue differently. stop looking just at the numbers.

Stop looking at just the numbers? WTF does that mean? I'll keep it real simple for you because I know you are kinda slow.

If you allow one goal you should win the game right? Well that happened twice in this series

OR you could just read the article PP posted. That sums it up well.
    edited April 2011
    The Fixer wrote:
    Stop looking at just the numbers? WTF does that mean? I'll keep it real simple for you because I know you are kinda slow.

If you allow one goal you should win the game right? Well that happened twice in this series

OR you could just read the article PP posted. That sums it up well.

the article PP showed is just stats. i've watched a lot of the hockey playoffs and the flyers goaltending has been putrid compared to the rest. i don't need fn numbers to tell me that. just because the flyers numbers might be similar or better doesn't mean they've been in the same ballpark. only a lunatic would suggest the flyers goaltending has been as good as Ryan Miller this series.

and i've seen high school goalies that could have stopped 5 of the last 7 goals the sabres have scored.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    pjhawks wrote:

the article PP showed is just stats. i've watched a lot of the hockey playoffs and the flyers goaltending has been putrid compared to the rest. i don't need fn numbers to tell me that. just because the flyers numbers might be similar or better doesn't mean they've been in the same ballpark. only a lunatic would suggest the flyers goaltending has been as good as Ryan Miller this series.

I give up. Your last sentence sums you up. Ridiculous

Go flyers
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    edited April 2011
    i'd take ryan miller over what we have. :lol:

how many bad goals have the flyers given up? take those away and the series is over. game 5 with the two quick ones because bouch wasn't A paying attention, or B. protecting the post. than game 6 with the shot from the slot that went right over his glove hand.

not to mention starting 3 different goalies over the first 5 games.
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

the philly comedy show!!!!!!!!!!!

i hope they win just to keep the laughs up for 2 more weeks
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

did you get your playoff ticket refund yet?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

how many bad goals have the flyers given up? take those away and the series is over. game 5 with the two quick ones because bouch wasn't A paying attention, or B. protecting the post. than game 6 with the shot from the slot that went right over his glove hand.

no one compared the flyers goalies to miller. well, pjhawks did, but no one is sure why
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Go flyers

it's ridiculous for any human being to think the Flyers goaltending has been in the same universe as Ryan Miller this series. I cannot believe i even have to type this up. it's insanity. i think im actually gettting a concussion from banging my head against the wall. the reason Miller has given up close to the amount of goals the flyers has is because the flyers offense is 10 fucking times better than the sabres. The Sabres offense blows and should never score more than 1 goal against this team. holy shit is that hard to understand? do the sabres have one forward that would be in the top 6 on this flyers team? unbelievable
    DOES ANYONE ELSE BELIEVE THIS???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    81 wrote:

did you get your playoff ticket refund yet?

they just take it off our bill for next year
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Go flyers

it's ridiculous for any human being to think the Flyers goaltending has been in the same universe as Ryan Miller this series. I cannot believe i even have to type this up. it's insanity. i think im actually gettting a concussion from banging my head against the wall. the reason Miller has given up close to the amount of goals the flyers has is because the flyers offense is 10 fucking times better than the sabres. The Sabres offense blows and should never score more than 1 goal against this team. holy shit is that hard to understand? do the sabres have one forward that would be in the top 6 on this flyers team? unbelievable
    DOES ANYONE ELSE BELIEVE THIS???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :wave: :wave: :lolno:
    The Fixer wrote:
    81 wrote:

no one compared the flyers goalies to miller. well, pjhawks did, but no one is sure why
    man you are bi-polar or something. i brought up ryan miller because you mentioned for me to read the article the PP posted that tries to compare the flyers goaltending to others in the playoffs, which uhh mentions ryan miller. comprende?
    next year

it's always about next year at MSG
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    next year

it's always about next year at MSG

well i answered your question ..its rolled over to next year

its all about good times my friend..which we have

see you guys in here....you all are nuts and take sports way too seriously .....

tomorrow ..win or lose..you will all have to go to work and live your normal life
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    81 wrote:

man you are bi-polar or something. i brought up ryan miller because you mentioned for me to read the article the PP posted that tries to compare the flyers goaltending to others in the playoffs, which uhh mentions ryan miller. comprende?

the jist of the article was that the flyers goaltending isn't as bad as everyone has made it out to be.

wow. just wow
    The Fixer wrote:
    the jist of the article was that the flyers goaltending isn't as bad as everyone has made it out to be.

wow. just wow

and uhh like you the article is flat out wrong - numbers only. it doesn't take into account actual players and talent. please don't suggest the flyers offense and their forwards aren't significantly better than the sabres. ergo the numbers lie.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    that blogger's post was pretty off ... first of all, goaltending HAS been the issue in many series ... they are definitely talking about luongo and niemi everywhere ... to think people are only criticizing philly's goaltending is absurd ...

secondly, the goaltending in philly has been horrible ... boucher has actually played decent - not spectacular but decent ... but the blogger fails to mention that bob and leighton have manned the pipes too and they were far from great ...

the issue isn't how many goals one allows ... it's how many bad goals ... and by far philly has let in more than its share ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    that blogger's post was pretty off ... first of all, goaltending HAS been the issue in many series ... they are definitely talking about luongo and niemi everywhere ... to think people are only criticizing philly's goaltending is absurd ...

secondly, the goaltending in philly has been horrible ... boucher has actually played decent - not spectacular but decent ... but the blogger fails to mention that bob and leighton have manned the pipes too and they were far from great ...

the issue isn't how many goals one allows ... it's how many bad goals ... and by far philly has let in more than its share ...

bob allowed 1 goal in game one and lost.

the PP is the main issue. if that unit had even been average the series would have been over in 5. Then no one is saying shit about the goalies
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    polaris_x wrote:

Exactly the first 2 goals boucher let in game 5 might have been the worst 2 goals ever allowed in Flyers history. And leighton's 3 in game 6 were almost as bad. If we had almost any other slightly better then avg goalie this series would have been over in 6 games. All 3 goalies have played well at some point this series but it's there bad play that has put us in this spot.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

the PP is the main issue. if that unit had even been average the series would have been over in 5. Then no one is saying shit about the goalies

the power play has not been great all year for philly ... and you're basically where you were in the regular season ...

all you have to do is look at the highlights and see how many bad goals have been let in ...
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,378
    81 wrote:

The shot over Boosh's glove was deflected off a Flyers stick. No goalie makes that save unless they get lucky.

They've started 3 different goalies because Lavi keeps panicking instead of just starting Boosh like he should. Besides one period Boosh has been excellent this series. Didn't Miller have a bad game as well??? I have full confidence in Boucher's play tonight.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

the power play has not been great all year for philly ... and you're basically where you were in the regular season ...

all you have to do is look at the highlights and see how many bad goals have been let in ...

you're right, it has been most of the year.

my point is that if you lose two games where you only allow 1 goal...then those games are on the offense. the flyers have lost 3 games in the series. In two of those games they have only allowed 1 goal and scored none. You can't blame the goalies for those losses.

the goalie play has been up and down, but if the PP is even average this series is over in 5.

this isn't rocket science boys. come on.
    The Fixer wrote:
    you're right, it has been most of the year.

my point is that if you lose two games where you only allow 1 goal...then those games are on the offense. the flyers have lost 3 games in the series. In two of those games they have only allowed 1 goal and scored none. You can't blame the goalies for those losses.

the goalie play has been up and down, but if the PP is even average this series is over in 5.

this isn't rocket science boys. come on.

definitely ... but you need to factor in that goalie play affects the offense as well ... when you aren't confident that your goalie is gonna make the stops you have to play more conservatively ... it's why the flyers have had to come back the last few games ... goalies let in bad goals and they've had to open it up ... they've been lucky in that the offense was able to do that ...