The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:
    christ, boucher. I guess it doesn't matter who's in net :? Maybe they should go with the goalie cutout in the playoffs

EDIT: awful. bring leighton back
    Enough with the horrible poke check stand up and try and make a save.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,378
    They don't have shootouts in the playoffs. Boosh all the way.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,432
    The Fixer wrote:
    christ, boucher. I guess it doesn't matter who's in net :? Maybe they should go with the goalie cutout in the playoffs

agree and i kind of like boucher but he was horrible in that shootout and didn't find the 4th goal particularly great either. would have been a huge win if they could have held on 4-3. flyers just always have goalie questions. no consistency in either of the two. at least last year both leighton and boucher seemed to be consistent , although leighton blows and i don't want to see him back. get pronger back and hopefully keep scoring chances to a minimum. 1st place in conference not as important as 1st in division. have to get 1st in division to keep from falling to 4th seed. i think some way it is going to end up being flyers-rangers in 1st round.

and Fixer did you see the big story on Jeff Carter in the sunday inquirer? I know you are not a big fan but was a good article. 3rd most goals in the NHL over the past 3 (or 4 can't recall off hand) years and 6th in the league this year.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

agree and i kind of like boucher but he was horrible in that shootout and didn't find the 4th goal particularly great either. would have been a huge win if they could have held on 4-3. flyers just always have goalie questions. no consistency in either of the two. at least last year both leighton and boucher seemed to be consistent , although leighton blows and i don't want to see him back. get pronger back and hopefully keep scoring chances to a minimum. 1st place in conference not as important as 1st in division. have to get 1st in division to keep from falling to 4th seed. i think some way it is going to end up being flyers-rangers in 1st round.

and Fixer did you see the big story on Jeff Carter in the sunday inquirer? I know you are not a big fan but was a good article. 3rd most goals in the NHL over the past 3 (or 4 can't recall off hand) years and 6th in the league this year.

I was kidding about leighton. I hope you guys were as well.

I don't think it matters who starts in playoffs. When Bob is on his game I think he has a better chance to steal a game, but I think Boucher is more consistent from game to game. pick your poison.

Carter will always put up decent goal stats. check out his playoff stats. he comes up small in big games. My problem with him is that he should be a better player than he is. he has the ability, but he plays like a pussy (see stanley cup finals, game 6). he'd be a great fit on the caps
    5-2 flyers tonight. they play their best game in 2 months
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Entertaining period
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Bubbles wrote:
    Entertaining period

pens are tough. like I said 3 months ago...I want no part of them in playoffs
    jordan staal is a beast. I'd take him over carter every time.
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    The Fixer wrote:

Eric Staal is better. The Pens could have had him, but they drafted Fleury first overall instead.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
    MFCarissa wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Eric Staal is better. The Pens could have had him, but they drafted Fleury first overall instead.

Of course his brother is better. Jordan Staal is underrated though

The flyers looked like shit. Again
    The Fixer wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I completely disagree. Jordan was a second overall pick. He's a 20 goal scorer. He had 29 his first season, and has never matched it since. He's good defensively though. But he was picked above Toews, Backstrom, Kessel, and Giroux.
    MFCarissa wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:

I completely disagree. Jordan was a second overall pick. He's a 20 goal scorer. He had 29 his first season, and has never matched it since. He's good defensively though. But he was picked above Toews, Backstrom, Kessel, and Giroux.

so he's overrated because of where he was picked? that's pretty dumb. the guy does everything well. he just gets overshadowed because of crosby and shrek.

I love when people only look at stats to decide a player's value :?

kessel sucks too
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    The Fixer wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

so he's overrated because of where he was picked? that's pretty dumb. the guy does everything well. he just gets overshadowed because of crosby and shrek.

kessel sucks too

Sort of. If a guy is picked very early there's high expectations for him. If he doesn't mean those high expectations then he's a letdown. If Staal was drafted in the second round he'd be a great player, but out of a #2 overall pick you expect that player to at least play on the top line, and if I'm correct I think Staal normally plays the 3rd line.

Kessel has 28 goals and 55 points for a much, much worse team in Toronto. Kessel gets shit because Toronto traded away 2 first round picks for him and he's not living up to that expectation. Where you're drafted is VERY relevant to whether a player is overrated or underrated.

Giroux, for that matter, is underrated, because so many teams passed on him and now he's great.

Patric Hornqvist is underrated, because he was the last player taken in the 2004 draft and he's a 30 goals a season scorer.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
    The Fixer wrote:

kessel sucks too

Kessel was good when he was on a good team. Staal is just certainly not underrated when he is a basically a defensibly responsible 20 goal scorer who is payed 4 million a year and was a second overall pick. If I had to pick a favorite Penguin, it would be him, but he's no one to build a team around or anything.
    Big Drop wrote:
    Sort of. If a guy is picked very early there's high expectations for him. If he doesn't mean those high expectations then he's a letdown. If Staal was drafted in the second round he'd be a great player, but out of a #2 overall pick you expect that player to at least play on the top line, and if I'm correct I think Staal normally plays the 3rd line.

Kessel has 28 goals and 55 points for a much, much worse team in Toronto. Kessel gets shit because Toronto traded away 2 first round picks for him and he's not living up to that expectation. Where you're drafted is VERY relevant to whether a player is overrated or underrated.

Giroux, for that matter, is underrated, because so many teams passed on him and now he's great.

Patric Hornqvist is underrated, because he was the last player taken in the 2004 draft and he's a 30 goals a season scorer.

And this.
    MFCarissa wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

kessel sucks too

Kessel was good when he was on a good team. Staal is just certainly not underrated when he is a basically a defensibly responsible 20 goal scorer who is payed 4 million a year and was a second overall pick. If I had to pick a favorite Penguin, it would be him, but he's no one to build a team around or anything.

Staal reminds me of brind'amour. He's not a superstar, but he doesn't get enough credit for being the player he is. He isn't a scorer because he isn't needed to be one in his role with the pens.

Kessel sucked on boston...he's always been overrated.
    MFCarissa wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

And this.

High pick = high expectations. of course.

I never said staal was great, just that he's underrated.

JVR was the #2 pick and he also plays on the 3rd line.

These guys get drafted when they're teenagers. I don't think all players drafted in the top 5 that don't become superstars are considered disappointments

Keith Primeau is another example. He was a good player for most of his career. Pretty sure he was taken in the top 5
    Flyers have lost 4 of their last 6 games, but have accumulated 8 points in those games. The NHL needs to change their rules. Getting a point for losing is weak as hell.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Staal reminds me of brind'amour. He's not a superstar, but he doesn't get enough credit for being the player he is. He isn't a scorer because he isn't needed to be one in his role with the pens.

Brind'amour won a shitload of faceoffs and had a 97 point season. It's not the same at all. In your opinion, what is Staal so good at that makes him so underrated? I think he is a good player, but there are a lot of guys like him in the league. And yes, stats really are important. The Red Wings aren't going to sign Darren Helm to a 4 million dollar contract just because he wins faceoffs, is super fast, and a fantastic penalty killer.
    MFCarissa wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Brind'amour won a shitload of faceoffs and had a 97 point season. It's not the same at all. In your opinion, what is Staal so good at that makes him so underrated? I think he is a good player, but there are a lot of guys like him in the league. And yes, stats really are important. The Red Wings aren't going to sign Darren Helm to a 4 million dollar contract just because he wins faceoffs, is super fast, and a fantastic penalty killer.

do you think brindamour was a good player?

staal does everything well. he is versatile. he can help a hockey team every way possible. PP, PK, play physical, score, win faceoffs, pass. I'll take him over an overrated turd like jeff carter every time. but according to your theory carter is better because his stats are better...even though carter can only do one thing (shoot)
    The Fixer wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

staal does everything well. he is versatile. he can help a hockey team every way possible. PP, PK, play physical, score, win faceoffs, pass. I'll take him over an overrated turd like jeff carter every time. but according to your theory carter is better because his stats are better.

Yes, Brind'Amour was a great player. He had a longevity, put up very very respectable numbers, and was amazing at faceoffs. But you are basically saying Staal is like many defensively responsible centers in the NHL and is somehow underrated because of it. He would be good to have on any team, but he's no Toews or Kopitar. Being a good player is a combination of good stats and intangibles, so you are trying to put words into my mouth with your last sentence. I'll just end it here, and let you think whatever you want.
    MFCarissa wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

staal does everything well. he is versatile. he can help a hockey team every way possible. PP, PK, play physical, score, win faceoffs, pass. I'll take him over an overrated turd like jeff carter every time. but according to your theory carter is better because his stats are better.

Yes, Brind'Amour was a great player. He had a longevity, put up very very respectable numbers, and was amazing at faceoffs. But you are basically saying Staal is like many defensively responsible centers in the NHL and is somehow underrated because of it. He would be good to have on any team, but he's no Toews or Kopitar. Being a good player is a combination of good stats and intangibles, so you are trying to put words into my mouth with your last sentence. I'll just end it here, and let you think whatever you want.

brindamour averaged 52 points a year for his career. he must have been a disappointment since he was a top 10 pick.

kopitar and toews have different roles than staal. staal might not be as talented offensively as those guys, but he can help a team in a number of ways. the guys you listed are superstars. again, I never said staal was great, just underrated in the role he plays for his team.

carter or staal...who do you think is better?
    The Fixer wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

brindamour averaged 52 points a year for his career. he must have been a disappointment since he was a top 10 pick.

kopitar and toews have different roles than staal. staal might not be as talented offensively as those guys, but he can help a team in a number of ways. the guys you listed are superstars. again, I never said staal was great, just underrated in the role he plays for his team.

carter or staal...who do you think is better?

Brind'Amour had a very long career, so it's not fair to take the average, since older players usually have a reduced role. Staal will probably have nowhere near that kind of longevity, since he has already been pretty hammered by injuries just a few years into his career.

I honestly can't comment on who I think is better. I follow a Western Conference team, and I've seen both play a bit, but not enough to make a fair comparison. I've definitely seen a lot more of Staal than Carter. I'm pretty sure your GM knows what he is doing though. Carter puts up plenty of goals. While Philly's D is strong, the goaltending is always in question lately. And scoring more than the other team is the objective, so that's really important.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Flyers have lost 4 of their last 6 games, but have accumulated 8 points in those games. The NHL needs to change their rules. Getting a point for losing is weak as hell.

Backing into the 1 seed...

Sounds like last night's game was shitty. I, of course, was at QOTSA, which was anything but shitty. :D Not to brag or anything...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,432
    The Fixer wrote:

coming from the guy who bases every baseball argument on the WAR stat :roll: :roll:

stinkin shootouts getting annoying. like 6 out of 8 games or something ridiculous for the flyers now. annoying, call me when the playoffs start.
    The Fixer wrote:

Backing into the 1 seed...

Sounds like last night's game was shitty. I, of course, was at QOTSA, which was anything but shitty. :D Not to brag or anything...

I'm jealous. Hope you had a great time.

Didn't see the setlist. Did they play 3's and 7's?
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

coming from the guy who bases every baseball argument on the WAR stat :roll: :roll:

stinkin shootouts getting annoying. like 6 out of 8 games or something ridiculous for the flyers now. annoying, call me when the playoffs start.

Learn what WAR is and get back to me.

Then again, your favorite players are jeff carter and ryan howard, so it's pointless debating sports with you.
    The Fixer wrote:

Yup. :D
    The Fixer wrote:

I can't stand WAR. No consideration for timeliness of hitting or little things like sac flies & baserunning. Oops, wrong thread. And yes, I definitely do understand what WAR is.

The Fixer wrote:

Yup. :D
    The Fixer wrote:

I can't stand WAR. No consideration for timeliness of hitting or little things like sac flies & baserunning. Oops, wrong thread. And yes, I definitely do understand what WAR is.

WAR and VORP are both great ways to value baseball players. They're not the be all end all, but they are sure as hell better gauges than HRs and RBIs

Now I'm really pissed I missed that show
    philly threads have been weak. come on girls

traveling...didn't see game. JVR...nice. Bob...also nice.

Could be two biggest players in playoffs if you think about it.

boston tomorrow. bring tim thomas...he stinks

let's get the momentum back boys