Options

Toronto Blue Jays Thread

Comments

• Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    kenshunt wrote:
    Well A.J just needs to trust his fastball a little more and then use his off speed pitches to get batters out.

Pretty much ... I think the guy is a bit young, and he loses focus a bit too easily. A little maturity and experience and he'll be a solid starter.
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    I like AJ. I just don't like the pitch calling they give him throughout the game. He shows he has the stuff and as the first start this season showed he can show up without the stuff too. I find he and Carpenter seem to lose too many one run ballgames.

Ohka looked good the other day.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    even flow? wrote:
    I like AJ. I just don't like the pitch calling they give him throughout the game. He shows he has the stuff and as the first start this season showed he can show up without the stuff too. I find he and Carpenter seem to lose too many one run ballgames.

Agreeded on Ohka I only got to see AJ pitch like 2-3 times last year because of when I was working and teh Oilers playoff run meant I missed lots of baseball with this great exscuse to get drunk. I don't really have much of an opinion on him with that in mind but when he is one he can deal. let's hope this is one of those nights. less than 3 hrs till gametime
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:

I like AJ too ... What I don't like are commentators like Jeff Passan who seem to think that the AL East is a two-team playground. "Can Halladay still be effective?" ... Of course he can. Quit fantasizing about Dice K and admit that another team MIGHT just have a shot in this division.
  • Options
    I like AJ too ... What I don't like are commentators like Jeff Passan who seem to think that the AL East is a two-team playground. "Can Halladay still be effective?" ... Of course he can. Quit fantasizing about Dice K and admit that another team MIGHT just have a shot in this division.

I think the Jays are way better than people give them credit for, Halladay might not have the pure numbers that the other guys do but he does something better than almost anyone in baseball and that is pitch deep consistantly, seems every game he never leaves before the 7th.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    I think the Jays are way better than people give them credit for, Halladay might not have the pure numbers that the other guys do but he does something better than almost anyone in baseball and that is pitch deep consistantly, seems every game he never leaves before the 7th.
    I just hope Roy doesn't get hurt down the stretch like the last couple of years.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    Well I think Towers looked alright yesterday I mean he gave up a lot of hits but pretty much every one that I saw was on a 2 stroike count so he wasn't all over besides the D didn't help him any.way different story if Glaus fly to deep deep left and stairs shot to deep deep right had an extra 5 feet on them because it would have been a 6-5 game in teh 8th and I think we would have pulled it out, have to give props to Grienke because he pitched great though, either way back on the horse tonight
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    Well I think Towers looked alright yesterday I mean he gave up a lot of hits but pretty much every one that I saw was on a 2 stroike count so he wasn't all over besides the D didn't help him any.way different story if Glaus fly to deep deep left and stairs shot to deep deep right had an extra 5 feet on them because it would have been a 6-5 game in teh 8th and I think we would have pulled it out, have to give props to Grienke because he pitched great though, either way back on the horse tonight

Freakin' hell ... Towers needed the offense to help out last night and they weren't there. And yeah, Grienke is a good pitcher, for sure.
  • Options
    Freakin' hell ... Towers needed the offense to help out last night and they weren't there. And yeah, Grienke is a good pitcher, for sure.

I felt for him though because like as soon as someone got on base the crowd was all over him, which is so unfair I mean even forgetting last year he had 9 days off, what do you excpect?
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    I felt for him though because like as soon as someone got on base the crowd was all over him, which is so unfair I mean even forgetting last year he had 9 days off, what do you excpect?

Better game last night, no?
    Glaus is on fire this year, even with yet another injury.
  • Options
    Better game last night, no?
    Glaus is on fire this year, even with yet another injury.

yeah this is the game I miss cause of school but I saw the highlights and most importanly the final score, keep it up boys I love this team this year
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    What is so special about "K"?

Way to go Jays!
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    What is so special about "K"?

Way to go Jays!

Chacin was great and the pen held on, offence left a whole lot to be desired, going to be along season for this kid if the sox don't show up on offence any time he pitches.
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    Doc's on the hill, 1-1 through 6 sure I slept through the first five so I can't say how he's pitching but looked good here
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    Doc's on the hill, 1-1 through 6 sure I slept through the first five so I can't say how he's pitching but looked good here

2-1 Jays, Rios just homered.
    Finally, too ... The Jays were making Tavarez look way too good.
  • Options
    serious between Baseball starting, the hockey playoffs and the NBA about to fire up how am I suppossed to study? Marcum might be our savior with BJ on the DL for now. He's been great get manny and we're golden
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    Fuck

so much for our savior, and so much for Doc going 3-0, I really though that our pen was better than last years which cost him so many wins last year.
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    Fuck

so much for our savior, and so much for Doc going 3-0, I really though that our pen was better than last years which cost him so many wins last year.

ARGGG!!!! Fuck this noise. Seriously, its the same crap every year with this team. Back to hockey ... Not that I'm enjoying that so much these days either.
  • Options
    reditalian wrote:
    I believe if the players J.P. brought in play like they should we can finally compete for the east title, or least the wild card.

Any thoughts, good or bad?

Yeah to quote Terence and Philip.....Blame Canada.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    ARGGG!!!! Fuck this noise. Seriously, its the same crap every year with this team. Back to hockey ... Not that I'm enjoying that so much these days either.

Raptors playoffs start saturday? maybe we should work on a thread for that, fuck why would anyone ever take Doc out? I wouldn't, if I'm gibbons he is not only working 9 every start but he is closing too
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    Raptors playoffs start saturday? maybe we should work on a thread for that, fuck why would anyone ever take Doc out? I wouldn't, if I'm gibbons he is not only working 9 every start but he is closing too

I guess if I am Gibbons I am concerned about pushing him hard after the 10 inning-106 pitch game. I don't know his pitch count today when he was pulled, but I assume it was around 100. Tough loss today, maybe Gibbons should have gone to Frasor in the 8th instead of Marcum, or Jansen as he seems to be hot right now, I don't think he pitched in Wednesday's game, but I could be wrong. Manny was due for a HR with 0 coming in and I am pretty sure Skydome/Rogers Centre is where he has hit the most HR's in his career in any road stadium besides Jacobs Field where he started his career.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    another tough loss last night in Baltimore; looks like it's going to be a LONG 6 weeks until Ryan gets back, and hopefully he returns to full form; also, hopefully the Jays can hold serve and play 500 ball until then
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Get ready to be swept today bitches. The O's aren't doing it pretty but our bullpen has been untouchable. What good is BJ Ryan going to be if you never have a 9th inning lead?
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:
    Get ready to be swept today bitches. The O's aren't doing it pretty but our bullpen has been untouchable. What good is BJ Ryan going to be if you never have a 9th inning lead?

I know this is weak who gets swept by the Orioles? what is this 1998?
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    Get outta here Toronto, you make the Devil Rays look like a contender. I've never seen a team argue balls and strikes as much as you guys. Last night your manager gets ejected for doing it, and at one point Vernon Wells was arguing after a 3rd strike that he swung at. I can't tell if our pitching is that good or your hitters are that bad. Regardless I'll take the sweep, and our 10th win of the season. There is money spent wisely, and money just spent...you guys are the latter.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:
    Get outta here Toronto, you make the Devil Rays look like a contender. I've never seen a team argue balls and strikes as much as you guys. Last night your manager gets ejected for doing it, and at one point Vernon Wells was arguing after a 3rd strike that he swung at. I can't tell if our pitching is that good or your hitters are that bad. Regardless I'll take the sweep, and our 10th win of the season. There is money spent wisely, and money just spent...you guys are the latter.

pardon?
    Toronto 13 13 .500
    Baltimore 12 15 .444

a lot can happen in a week

so Doc is fucking sick last night and AJ made me fucking sick tonight. I don't like the fact that I could make the team at certain positions but I do love sal's stache
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,142
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/story/2007/05/02/halladay-award.html

Halladay named AL's top hurler for April
    Last Updated: Wednesday, May 2, 2007 | 6:15 PM ET
    CBC Sports
    Take a seat Daisuke Matsuzaka. Ditto Johan Santana. Toronto's Roy Halladay is the top pitcher in the American League for April.

The Blue Jays' ace took honours Wednesday after winning four of his first six starts to open the season.

The Blue Jays' Roy Halladay has yet to give up more than three runs in a game this season.
    (Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press) On Monday, Halladay tossed a complete-game five-hitter in a 6-1 victory over the Texas Rangers on the way to his third career AL pitcher of the month award.

Halladay's other complete game was a 10-inning gem in a 2-1 win over the Detroit Tigers on April 13.

He sports a tidy 4-0 record and 2.28 earned-run average this season with 33 strikeouts in 47 1/3 innings pitched.

He's a security blanket," Toronto manager John Gibbons told MLB.com of Halladay. "Very rarely does he get knocked around. He gives you a chance to win and you usually do win.

"He saves bullpens, he continues winning streaks, stops losing streaks and that's how you get things going."

Halladay, 30, a four-time all-star and winner of the 2003 Cy Young award as the top pitcher in the AL, lasted at least six innings in each April outing and has yet to give up more than three runs in a game this season.

"He's like all of the great ones that have pitched in this game," said Gibbons, who collected his 200th career victory as manager of the Jays. "You give them a little lead, they smell it, they turn it on, and it makes them that much tougher."
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Bump

Sorry, I didn't see this thread. The other one is being deleted.

Go Blue Jays!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    uglybabouglybabo Posts: 518
    Is anyone watching the game this afternoon?

No particular reason...
  • Options
    Another no no lost in the ninth....What the hell was the deal with that dude's meatchop sideburns.