Options

Toronto Blue Jays Thread

Comments

• Options
    an incredible offense that can fight back into any game ... It would be nice if Burnett stayed healthy and found his groove, but hey, the season is young.
    That's definitely the best part about these Jays (their ability to fight back into any game). They're never out of. In the past, if they're down 4-0 in the fifth, there was little hope. It was incredibly frustrating to watch, because there was still half a game to go.

Wells and Glaus are a great 1-2 punch. It's nice to have some protection for Wells in the line-up. Like you said, Rios has been solid this year as well. I sure hope he keeps it up and pans out to be the player everyone expected him to be!

They're hitting for power, they're hitting for average, and they're getting some fairly solid pitching (although there's room for improvement in the pitching department). It's exciting!

I haven't been able to watch too many games really closely, as April is a busy month with papers and exams, so I'm really looking forward to when things slow down. I'm going to the game tomorrow night, my first of the season, and I'm very excited!!!
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    go jays go ... nothing better than watching the jays erase a 4 run defecit against the undefeated beckett ... rocked he was ...
  • Options
    Blue11Blue11 Posts: 200
    they are serious contenders this year...they just have to make sure they beat teams like Tampa Bay, who they seem to have trouble beating.. I saw them play against Tampa, Ted Lily didn't play that well, but the rest of the team played very consistently....lets go Jays!!!!
    " All the stars in the sky, thought you were up in mine
    Still I wonder, I wonder......" "Black" tag 09-16-2005 Ottawa

Toronto 2003, Kitchener 2005, Montreal 2005, Ottawa 2005, Toronto II 2006, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Camden I 2008, Camden II 2008, Washington, D.C. 2008, Toronto 2009, Chicago I 2009, Columbus 2010, Noblesville, 2010
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Are any of you Jays fans going to the games on 5/8 or 5/11?...I will be in town for the ACC shows....The Jays/Angeles will be a great game!
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    it's been a while since this thread had any action but to save myself being cursed out for starting another here we are. Am I the only one who was skeptical about getting Lyle Overbay? I really didn't think he was a very big upgrade over the plethora of corner infielders we already have but I have to totally take that back after watching the first third of the season. He has a good bat and the man is gold glove out there in the field. They were talking about how due his range he can play a few steps closer to second and help our mediocre middle infield and it is a huge difference. Bengie Molina has been exactly what I was hoping he would be and Glaus has been great, another upgrade in the field from last year, whether or not losing O-dog will be worth it remains to be seen but I think the added offence is well worth it. The tragic thing is if the Tigers hold on the way they have (and I don;t think they'll have a .630 winning percentage come September but if they don't bottom out) we'll have to win the division to make it casue the wild card is going to be really tight. Oh yeah think Cleavland will bite on a Travis Hafner for Josh Towers trade?
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    reditalian wrote:
    95 wins would be great, it would also be nice to be in the hunt late in the season, I'm sick of the season being over in August.

try being a pirates fan and having the season be over in february when the players arrive for spring training
    6-23-06...Pittsburgh,PA

www.myspace.com/hattricks412
  • Options
    TorontoPJFanTorontoPJFan Posts: 133
    try being a pirates fan and having the season be over in february when the players arrive for spring training

At least you have the Canadian Jason Bay tearing it up again. Rooke of the Year and now he's on fire in year 2. As of the other day he had hit homers in 6 straight and 10 long balls in 10 games. The guy has some serious skill.

On the Jays front, they continue to impress me. Not many teams blow a 6 run lead and come back the next inning for a run to win it. All the acquistions have performed, and BJ Ryan has shut everyone up in a hurry..those who said he was overpaid. The man just gets the job done, night in and night out.

Go Jays Go!
    How could she say to me, "love will find a way?"

Toronto Molson Amphitheatre 06.28.2003
    Toronto A.C.C. 05.09.2006
    Toronto A.C.C. 05.10.2006
  • Options
    At least you have the Canadian Jason Bay tearing it up again. Rooke of the Year and now he's on fire in year 2. As of the other day he had hit homers in 6 straight and 10 long balls in 10 games. The guy has some serious skill.

On the Jays front, they continue to impress me. Not many teams blow and 6 run lead and come back the next inning for a run to win it. All the acquistions have performed, and BJ Ryan has shut everyone up in a hurry..those who said he was overpaid. The man just gets the job done, night in and night out.

Go Jays Go!

True on both fronts, let's hope Chacin is at %100 for this game tonight
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    Back to Back Jacks can the Jays have 3 all stars? hard to deny a guy batting over .350 and Vernon is as complete as anyone out there, Glaus now has 16 homers I mean this is a good lineup.
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    Back to Back Jacks can the Jays have 3 all stars? hard to deny a guy batting over .350 and Vernon is as complete as anyone out there, Glaus now has 16 homers I mean this is a good lineup.

The problem with 3 all stars is soley in the ballot for American League Outfielders, which doesn't list Rios. It's still early, but if he continues this start he should be an all star...but in order for that to happen people would have to "write him in," which i've done a few times or have the manager pick him, which is possible but less likely if both Glaus and Wells are starters.

Let's hope.

• Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,142
    The problem with 3 all stars is soley in the ballot for American League Outfielders, which doesn't list Rios. It's still early, but if he continues this start he should be an all star...but in order for that to happen people would have to "write him in," which i've done a few times or have the manager pick him, which is possible but less likely if both Glaus and Wells are starters.

Let's hope.

Completely agree about Rios he has been amazing hitting for average, power, great speed on the base paths and he's not too shabby with the leather.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Completely agree about Rios he has been amazing hitting for average, power, great speed on the base paths and he's not too shabby with the leather.

he has just a killer arm in right, no doubt about that, as for his speed I find he runs too much instead of picking his spots. but what do I know
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    Great Jays game tonight. Middle relief gave me some scares, but again Wells and Glaus provide the bat and BJ shuts them down when you need it most. Seriously 3 homers and 2 homers...ridiculous!

Go Jays...

• Options
    Great Jays game tonight. Middle relief gave me some scares, but again Wells and Glaus provide the bat and BJ shuts them down when you need it most. Seriously 3 homers and 2 homers...ridiculous!

Go Jays...

yeah no doubt, Ryan has been amazing the rest of the pen has been a mess but he as been the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    oh man, the crowd tonight was just insane! loudest ballgame i've been to. we kept up the chants while exiting the venue and all the way to eastsides. everyone was joining in.

oh, and ya just gotta love bj ryan. brought in at the right time, and kept the game in our favour.

i'll probably go to tomorrow's game since i got nothin' else to do.
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    ever since that sweep to the rockies, we've been kickin ass!!!!
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    KryptosKryptos Posts: 34
    What's the deal w/ Burnett. I heard he was placed on the 60 day dl. He was a serious waste of money if you ask me...he can't seem to stay healthy enough to start more than 12 games a season most of the time.
  • Options
    Kryptos wrote:
    What's the deal w/ Burnett. I heard he was placed on the 60 day dl. He was a serious waste of money if you ask me...he can't seem to stay healthy enough to start more than 12 games a season most of the time.

He pitched on the side prior to Monday's game. Threw 65 pitches and they expect him back in the lineup for the last week of June. Obviously if he continues to suffer injuries that keep him out of the lineup, then it won't be a good deal. However, its' a 5 year deal so it's hard to fully know how this will turn out until a couple years down the road. Here's hoping the latest injury is healed and behind him.

Go Jays!

• Options
    Another Bosox battle tonight. Let's hope we sweep them outta town...and get within 1/2 game of the lead in the East.

Go Jays!

• Options
    Well, another victory over Tampa Bay tonight. Halladay was his typical best. And they keep getting big hits when they need them. Seriously, they just keep finding ways to win. 8 games over .500.

• Options
    Well, another victory over Tampa Bay tonight. Halladay was his typical best. And they keep getting big hits when they need them. Seriously, they just keep finding ways to win. 8 games over .500.

No doubt I love that we are just about guarenteed to win every fifth day that is huge. Having the Doc is just amazing, and now with Ryan coming in for the ninth he doesn't have to throw a complete game everytime out.
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    reditalianreditalian Posts: 327
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    No doubt I love that we are just about guarenteed to win every fifth day that is huge. Having the Doc is just amazing, and now with Ryan coming in for the ninth he doesn't have to throw a complete game everytime out.

I'm trying to not get my hopes up but man do we look good. If we can get another starting pitcher we will be sitting pretty.
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • Options
    reditalian wrote:
    I'm trying to not get my hopes up but man do we look good. If we can get another starting pitcher we will be sitting pretty.

that's it I mean Lilly is typical Lilly, lights out one game out before the lights are on the next. But Chacin can probably win 15 and if Burnett can come back and pitch like he did last year (.500 on the Marlins) then I can see him in the 12-15 win range. With Ryan sealing everything up and spier pitching as well as he has we might do it. But like you trying not to get too involved just yet
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    reditalianreditalian Posts: 327
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    that's it I mean Lilly is typical Lilly, lights out one game out before the lights are on the next. But Chacin can probably win 15 and if Burnett can come back and pitch like he did last year (.500 on the Marlins) then I can see him in the 12-15 win range. With Ryan sealing everything up and spier pitching as well as he has we might do it. But like you trying not to get too involved just yet

It seems like the last couple of years they just stop playing in the second half and by the start of August the season is over. I hope the veteren leadership of the new guys and Wells maturing almost daily that they give the fucking Yanks and Sox at least a run all the way to Sept.

Man am I just lovin' Rios. It looks like he put on some (good) wait and is a lock for the All Star game!!!!
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • Options
    reditalian wrote:
    It seems like the last couple of years they just stop playing in the second half and by the start of August the season is over. I hope the veteren leadership of the new guys and Wells maturing almost daily that they give the fucking Yanks and Sox at least a run all the way to Sept.

Man am I just lovin' Rios. It looks like he put on some (good) wait and is a lock for the All Star game!!!!

I think between Rios, Wells, and the incomparable duo of Reed Johnson and Frank Catalanto the jays have one of the best outfields going right now
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    And let's not forget what a surprise Janssen has been. His last three starts, for the injured Burnett, he has taken a 1 hitter into the 5th. Twice he hadn't give up a hit by then. I think when AJ gets back they'll find a spot in the rotation for him, assuming he keeps this up. Question is, who does he bump outta the rotation?

Go Jays!

• Options
    And let's not forget what a surprise Janssen has been. His last three starts, for the injured Burnett, he has taken a 1 hitter into the 5th. Twice he hadn't give up a hit by then. I think when AJ gets back they'll find a spot in the rotation for him, assuming he keeps this up. Question is, who does he bump outta the rotation?

Go Jays!

wel who am I forgeting? Doc, Lily, Chacin, Janssen, and ... who else is there
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    wel who am I forgeting? Doc, Lily, Chacin, Janssen, and ... who else is there

Ty Taubenheim was called up and has started 2 games. The other starter is Burnett, although that doesn't count in the current 5. It's the 4 you mentioned plus Taubenheim and Francisco Rosario, who was recently called up.

• Options
    Well with the Sox and the Yanks looking to eat each other away we have a good chance to pick up some ganmes this week. Too bad I won't be able to see any of them between work and hockey starting tommorrow
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    This game isn't over yet, but i'm loving it. Seeminly down and out in the bottom of the 8th, one out and down 5-2(and with little life in the players and fans) ...8 runs later it's 10-5 jays and counting. Talk about a team that can bat!

Go Jays Go!