xbox or ps3?

Comments

• Rygar wrote:
    Yeah, 30% is pretty high but it's an estimate because MS won't release actual figures. It could be much lower or could even be higher.
    My failure rate is 0%, though ;)
    As far as having a good time gaming though, it's worth a potential 2 week layoff...my two cents.

Yeah two weeks without is not a big deal to me though...are the newer models experiencing these sort of problems...meaning is the "ring of death" problem seen in the newer generations.....say like the Elite.....
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Yeah two weeks without is not a big deal to me though...are the newer models experiencing these sort of problems...meaning is the "ring of death" problem seen in the newer generations.....say like the Elite.....

I think the Elite is still at risk, but they're making new models (so far they aren't available in NS) with a quieter processor and different motherboard or something. The new regular 20G HD equipped models have HDMI outputs, so that's the giveaway.
    I think the codename for the new gear is Zephyr, and it is supposedly on the box. Theoretically these will be much less at risk of fault, but I'm really talking out of my ass at this point cause I haven't even seen them.
    Someone posted in the Xbox forum a picture of the box they got at Walmart that said 'Zephyr' on it, though.
  • Rygar wrote:
    I think the Elite is still at risk, but they're making new models (so far they aren't available in NS) with a quieter processor and different motherboard or something. The new regular 20G HD equipped models have HDMI outputs, so that's the giveaway.
    I think the codename for the new gear is Zephyr, and it is supposedly on the box. Theoretically these will be much less at risk of fault, but I'm really talking out of my ass at this point cause I haven't even seen them.
    Someone posted in the Xbox forum a picture of the box they got at Walmart that said 'Zephyr' on it, though.

Cool thanks for all the input....I have heard about this Zephyr as well from various sources....however I am still no closer to a decision then when I started...was leaning towards the Xbox 360 but some of the problems kinda of freak me out (unless I bought a brand new system) with the warranty.....might be the way I go.....
    Cool thanks for all the input....I have heard about this Zephyr as well from various sources....however I am still no closer to a decision then when I started...was leaning towards the Xbox 360 but some of the problems kinda of freak me out (unless I bought a brand new system) with the warranty.....might be the way I go.....

Well the big price drop should help :P
    Wait until Xmas - some new 'packages' will be popping up and there should be some crazy deals. Currently the Forza package is the latest that I know of. I don't think these xboxes come with the new equipment but you'd have to figure that part out yourself.
    Also there'll probably be some stores (Futureshop last year) with crazy store-specific sales at or near Xmas time..
    Good luck!
    Have a search on upcoming games for both systems, too, and see if there's anything you like.

PS: Had a wedding in Onterrible on the weekend and someone gave the bridge & groom a Wii for a pressie...now my GF wants one, after I had her hooked on Viva Pinata :P
  • Rygar wrote:
    Well the big price drop should help :P
    Wait until Xmas - some new 'packages' will be popping up and there should be some crazy deals. Currently the Forza package is the latest that I know of. I don't think these xboxes come with the new equipment but you'd have to figure that part out yourself.
    Also there'll probably be some stores (Futureshop last year) with crazy store-specific sales at or near Xmas time..
    Good luck!
    Have a search on upcoming games for both systems, too, and see if there's anything you like.

PS: Had a wedding in Onterrible on the weekend and someone gave the bridge & groom a Wii for a pressie...now my GF wants one, after I had her hooked on Viva Pinata :P

Yeah the ladies seem to love the Wii....which is cool in my books.
  • I will say that I'm on my 4th 360 since launch after the one I just got in June got the RROD two weeks ago. I upgraded to the Elite since the ones made after July 15th are supposed to be less likely to have the issue.

Now while that sucks, you're basically getting a guarantee from Microsoft that it will work for 3 years and I'm sorry, but I've got a couple of friends with the PS3 and I've played most everything that's out for it and it doesn't hold a candle to the 360. Trust me, even after going through three 360s it never entered my mind to switch over to the PS3. Maybe it's because I play a ton of sports games (which most of them currently run at a better frame rate on the 360) and FPSs, but until Metal Gear, what is there to play that I can't play better on the 360? Lair? Yeah, thought so.

Actually, if I could afford it I'd get it just for the new Ratchet & Clank that's coming out next month, just because those games are insanely fun.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I will say that I'm on my 4th 360 since launch after the one I just got in June got the RROD two weeks ago. I upgraded to the Elite since the ones made after July 15th are supposed to be less likely to have the issue.

Now while that sucks, you're basically getting a guarantee from Microsoft that it will work for 3 years and I'm sorry, but I've got a couple of friends with the PS3 and I've played most everything that's out for it and it doesn't hold a candle to the 360. Trust me, even after going through three 360s it never entered my mind to switch over to the PS3. Maybe it's because I play a ton of sports games (which most of them currently run at a better frame rate on the 360) and FPSs, but until Metal Gear, what is there to play that I can't play better on the 360? Lair? Yeah, thought so.

Actually, if I could afford it I'd get it just for the new Ratchet & Clank that's coming out next month, just because those games are insanely fun.

You are right...currently I would say the 360 has the upper hand on the two. PS3 has great games coming out in the near future. They still have FF, Metal Gear, Gran Turismo, Socom, etc.
    As far as sports games go...most EA games other then Tiger Woods have had slightly better scores on the 360. I would fully expect this to change by next year. It seems the more and more I read about the PS3 is that it is really going to hit hard next year.
    I would advise going out and getting the 60GB PS3 while they still are around...best bang for your buck right now.
    360 is a great system and is probably the best at the moment...but I, and it seems more and more game reviewers and developers, think the PS3 is going to kick some serious ass in the near future.
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    mca47 wrote:
    You are right...currently I would say the 360 has the upper hand on the two. PS3 has great games coming out in the near future. They still have FF, Metal Gear, Gran Turismo, Socom, etc.
    As far as sports games go...most EA games other then Tiger Woods have had slightly better scores on the 360. I would fully expect this to change by next year. It seems the more and more I read about the PS3 is that it is really going to hit hard next year.
    I would advise going out and getting the 60GB PS3 while they still are around...best bang for your buck right now.
    360 is a great system and is probably the best at the moment...but I, and it seems more and more game reviewers and developers, think the PS3 is going to kick some serious ass in the near future.
    elder scrolls dirt and tiger all scored better on ps3

thats about it though

great games coming out (although not as many as 360)
    UT 3
    Haze
    Ratchet and Clank
    Uncharted: Drakes Fortune
    assasins creed (also for 360)

360:
    Halo 3
    Assasins creed
    mass effect (should be huge)
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

thats about it though

great games coming out (although not as many as 360)
    UT 3
    Haze
    Ratchet and Clank
    Uncharted: Drakes Fortune
    assasins creed (also for 360)

360:
    Halo 3
    Assasins creed
    mass effect (should be huge)

RS Vegas scored better as well in at least one spot. Review I read was pretty good and unbiased, made it sound like they just fine tuned it and had a better polished product.
    I forgot about Haze and Drake's Fortune, thanks.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    Any of you watch the new videos of Halo 3 that were put up on IGN yesterday..........I cannot wait for this game to come out next week! My friend at gamestop said that there have been people trading in their PS3 to get a 360 on a daily basis, and hardly anyone trading in their 360s. Evidently there's a lot of people that are only getting the 360s for Halo 3, so that might very well benifit the PS3 in the software race next year. Although, Halo Wars looks interesting too, and there are at least 2 games that I am really looking foward to on the 360. I've never been much of a sports video game player beyond the sega genesis days, so I don't have much of an opinion on which system is the best for them. For the shooters, in my opinion, 360 hasn't even been competed with.
    Go check out these vids!
    http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/734/734817/vids_1.html
    PJPOWER wrote:
    Any of you watch the new videos of Halo 3 that were put up on IGN yesterday..........I cannot wait for this game to come out next week! My friend at gamestop said that there have been people trading in their PS3 to get a 360 on a daily basis, and hardly anyone trading in their 360s. Evidently there's a lot of people that are only getting the 360s for Halo 3, so that might very well benifit the PS3 in the software race next year. Although, Halo Wars looks interesting too, and there are at least 2 games that I am really looking foward to on the 360. I've never been much of a sports video game player beyond the sega genesis days, so I don't have much of an opinion on which system is the best for them. For the shooters, in my opinion, 360 hasn't even been competed with.
    Go check out these vids!
    http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/734/734817/vids_1.html

The trade in value of the Xbox at EB/Gamestop here in Canada is garbage, that might have something to do with those figures.
    Halo Wars is just another Command and Conquer rip off, so I guess you'd have to be into that kind of game to bother.

Thanks for the link, I will check them out now. Oh, IGN insider only, screw that.
    EB will be releasing my pre-order at midnight on Monday (I will pick it up, however, Tuesday after work :P).
    Rygar wrote:
    The trade in value of the Xbox at EB/Gamestop here in Canada is garbage, that might have something to do with those figures.
    Halo Wars is just another Command and Conquer rip off, so I guess you'd have to be into that kind of game to bother.

Thanks for the link, I will check them out now. Oh, IGN insider only, screw that.
    EB will be releasing my pre-order at midnight on Monday (I will pick it up, however, Tuesday after work :P).
    Same here, lol.........I did the geek thing when Halo 2 came out and waited until midnight to get it and was so tired by the time I got home that I only played it for about 10 min. Gamestop said that they have a guaranteed copy for anyone that reserved it, so my lunch break on the 25th will work out just fine :) I have training that evening until 8:00, but I'm sure I'll be on for a little while that night.
    PJPOWER wrote:
    Same here, lol.........I did the geek thing when Halo 2 came out and waited until midnight to get it and was so tired by the time I got home that I only played it for about 10 min. Gamestop said that they have a guaranteed copy for anyone that reserved it, so my lunch break on the 25th will work out just fine :) I have training that evening until 8:00, but I'm sure I'll be on for a little while that night.

I'm not in too much of a rush to play it. My friends are telling me they are number 'x' on the list for preorders, and I only preordered 2 weeks ago so if I show up and they say I have to wait for a new shipment I'll just get a refund :P
    Rygar wrote:
    I'm not in too much of a rush to play it. My friends are telling me they are number 'x' on the list for preorders, and I only preordered 2 weeks ago so if I show up and they say I have to wait for a new shipment I'll just get a refund :P
    The word is that there are plenty to go around. The guy that I know at gamestop said that if you reserved it, you'll get it that day. They will have at least enough to cover the reserves, but if they run out of the extras, then the people who didn't reserve will have to wait for a copy.
  • Rygar found that the failure rate for the 360 was 33%.....through various on-line sources....
    Rygar found that the failure rate for the 360 was 33%.....through various on-line sources....

Yeah, pretty much what most estimate.
  • Rygar wrote:

Put you on the hot-spot buddy...if you had your choice between either PS3 or 360 for a purely video game experience (throw away movies and internet for that matter) what would you buy.....
    Rygar wrote:

That's what I heard too.

A good number of PS3s crap out too. Mine has worked great so far *fingers crossed*.

It's just amazing to me how many of these new systems die on people.
    Put you on the hot-spot buddy...if you had your choice between either PS3 or 360 for a purely video game experience (throw away movies and internet for that matter) what would you buy.....

At the moment I would say 360. You cannot count out the fact that the PS3 has a lot of good games coming out in this quarter plus a ton next year.

I still say

Now: 360
    Complete history/lifetime of the system: PS3
  • NOCODE#1 wrote:

thats about it though

I hate to be a stickler, but going by Metacritic which takes every review out there into account, the 360 Elders Scrolls scored ever so slightly better than the PS3 94-93 and Tiger ended up in a complete deadlock 80-80 while the PS3 Dirt came in ahead 84-83.

I know it's not that big of a deal but I didn't want anyone to think that any one version was considerably better than the other out of these three games.

360 easily.
    I hate to be a stickler, but going by Metacritic which takes every review out there into account, the 360 Elders Scrolls scored ever so slightly better than the PS3 94-93 and Tiger ended up in a complete deadlock 80-80 while the PS3 Dirt came in ahead 84-83.

I know it's not that big of a deal but I didn't want anyone to think that any one version was considerably better than the other out of these three games.

Well one of the key features in the PS3 version of the Elder Scrolls is that the expansion pack was included with the PS3 release, whereas it was another $20(?) to buy it for the 360.
    mca47 wrote:
    That's what I heard too.

A good number of PS3s crap out too. Mine has worked great so far *fingers crossed*.

My first two PS3's had an electrical whine when the fan kicked in, ear piercing type whine.
    They were both from the same EB store, and if the serial numbers were anything to go buy, they were both of the same batch...
    The third works fine except the controller loses it's signal mid game frequently.
    I reset the controller but haven't tried a game lately. Next time I get around to playing and have it happen, though, I will call Sony (emailed them and they suggested this and that, which I've done, and then ended with call them if all else fails, which I think it has).
    mca47 wrote:
    At the moment I would say 360. You cannot count out the fact that the PS3 has a lot of good games coming out in this quarter plus a ton next year.

I still say

Now: 360
    Complete history/lifetime of the system: PS3

I agree with you, but disagree at the same time.
    As the 360 has already established itself with a solid game library and shows no sign of letting that trend end, I think the 360 is a safe bet for a long term game system.
    I already expected a good handful of killer titles for the PS3, which aren't here yet. I don't really think this quarter is going to end that, either, with 3 or 4 games on the horizon.
  • what they hell are you talking about...xbox...ps3? I am still playing ping pong on my atari
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
    mca47 wrote:
    That's what I heard too.

less than one percent of ps3's fail

in fact they can be put through the ringer and come up fine

anyone who has played both tigers knows which ones better

as in my orginal post which concedes about 99.9 percent of the cross platform games out there play better on the xbox those 4 didnt

sorry it wasnt a sweep for 360 nation
  • so i priced out an xbox 360 elite w/120GB of memory on amazon.com with the following accessories:

-extra wireless controller
    -360 live bundle camera
    -play & charge kit
    -wireless network adapter
    -tiger woods '08
    -madden '08
    -halo 3

subtotal $860

anything i'm missing? don't need? seems like a lot of coin, but i've been out of the gaming world for a while so i don't really know.
    so i priced out an xbox 360 elite w/120GB of memory on amazon.com with the following accessories:

-360 live bundle camera
    -play & charge kit
    -tiger woods '08
    -madden '08
    -halo 3

subtotal $860

anything i'm missing? don't need? seems like a lot of coin, but i've been out of the gaming world for a while so i don't really know.

Well, you could get this...
    -PS3 60 GB (swappable for ANY size harddrive...you could get a 120 for less then $100 more) =$499 + 5 free Blu-ray movies!
    -No need for additional play and charge kit
    -No need for wireless adapter (built in)
    -Tiger Woods '08 (better PS3 rating on by most reviewers) = $55
    -Madden '08 (360 got a slightly better rating despite the framerate issue on PS3) =$55
    -No Halo though.

Total = $609 pre-tax. + "Free Blu-ray player"
    Damn that PS3 being so expensive! :D

Just for fun...let's add in a 120GB harddrive = $95
    The important additional HDMI cable = $50 (if you shop right)

New total = $754

Damn that PS3 being so expensive!
  • so i priced out an xbox 360 elite w/120GB of memory on amazon.com with the following accessories:

-360 live bundle camera
    -play & charge kit
    -tiger woods '08
    -madden '08
    -halo 3

subtotal $860

The wireless adapter is where they get you... 360 is the way to go right now though. You don’t need that camera, save you $40 right there. If you buy the black controller they have them bundled with play and charge kits may sure you look. Also xbox live is $50 a year, a MUST HAVE if you go with an xbox.
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07