xbox or ps3?

Comments

• PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    Lukin4 wrote:
    No, i got the 360 with the hard drive and wireless controller.... but then you have to buy the charge kit for the controller, wireless network adapter etc etc etc.... typical microsoft shit! and bluray will reign supreme, having seen a direct comparison just last week. so all you xbox owners can expect to fork out for the bluray addon at some point as well!!! i bet your all looking forward to that...
    You don't really "have" to buy any of that extra stuff. I would be more upset if I had to buy it with the system. I have no reason to buy a wireless network adapter, etc etc etc etc. I purchased a charge kit for the controller but I didn't "have" to. It was my choice. I like the fact that I have a choice in what I spend my money on with the console. I don't need a HD-DVD or Blu-ray player, so I'm glad that the 360 didn't put it standard in the console and up the price. I don't plan on forking out anything for a Blu-ray player until I first fork out for a high def tv..............which doesn't seem to be an option in the near future. Personally I'd rather have a seperate blu-ray or HD-DVD player anyway, since I play my 360 on a computer monitor and watch movies in another room. I like having choices.
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Rygar wrote:
    Oh, I played the NHL 08 demo yesterday and was sorely disappointed. Not because the game is bad, because it isn't, but because it is not that much different from 07, defeating the 70 dollar price tag.

That's been my biggest beef with the NHL franchise.. they really haven't changed the gameplay much over the years. I used to buy the new one every year but have since decided to just buy the game every 2 or 3 years.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    chromiam wrote:
    That's been my biggest beef with the NHL franchise.. they really haven't changed the gameplay much over the years. I used to buy the new one every year but have since decided to just buy the game every 2 or 3 years.

That seems like a good idea. NHL07 was very different from 06, but 08 is almost the same as 07...
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Rygar wrote:
    That seems like a good idea. NHL07 was very different from 06, but 08 is almost the same as 07...

true but 06 and 05 were fairly similar.. like you said not a big enough difference to account for the price tag.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
    chromiam wrote:
    true but 06 and 05 were fairly similar.. like you said not a big enough difference to account for the price tag.

Agreed. If I catch it on a drastic sale or used for cheap down the road I'll pick it up, but I can hold off till then I think.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    I'll be getting NHL 2K8 i think, didn't like the EA game much.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
    mole1985 wrote:
    I'll be getting NHL 2K8 i think, didn't like the EA game much.

Still waiting for that demo.
    The last two 2k NHL games were trash, imo. I don't know how 2k7 competed against 07 at all...
    Rygar wrote:
    It is coming out on both yes, although there are some delays that are possibly due to the XBox using DVD instead of a higher capacity disc...in which case it is likely the PS3 version is going to have the edge.
    I'm sure there'll be some reviews and such when the time comes, though.

Actually its supposed to be the ps3 version that has delayed it. Also the 360 version is getting some downloadable content so there will be more in the 360 version then the ps3 version.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
    Rygar wrote:
    Still waiting for that demo.
    The last two 2k NHL games were trash, imo. I don't know how 2k7 competed against 07 at all...

2K7 was my first foray into hockey games (we don't really get hockey in the UK) and i quite enjoyed it but i think i will wait for the demo before deciding, there are a lot of good games coming out this year.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
    mole1985 wrote:
    2K7 was my first foray into hockey games (we don't really get hockey in the UK) and i quite enjoyed it but i think i will wait for the demo before deciding, there are a lot of good games coming out this year.

Yeah I have a list of upcoming games for 360/PS3 that I'm interested in (no joke...sigh).
    I'm hope I like 2K8 this year but I will wait to see.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I know this is 360 vs. PS3 thread, but I also wanted say that a buddy of mine has a wireless connection in his house and it is pretty damn slick how he integrates his PS3 with his PSP.
    Lots of cool things you can do with that!
    mca47 wrote:
    I know this is 360 vs. PS3 thread, but I also wanted say that a buddy of mine has a wireless connection in his house and it is pretty damn slick how he integrates his PS3 with his PSP.
    Lots of cool things you can do with that!

The interaction between the two is pretty nice indeed.
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/820/820687p1.html

Xbox 360 Could be 'Distant Third' By 2009
    DFC predicts the game industry as a whole could generate $47 billion that year.
    by Ryan Geddes

September 18, 2007 - According to a series of recent reports by the research group DFC Intelligence, the game industry is poised to see enormous overall growth in 2009, just in time for the Xbox 360 to slip to a distant third place in the console race.

DFC estimates that the videogame market will swell to $47 billion by 2009, a 42 percent increase over the $33 billion generated by the industry in 2006. That forecast includes revenue from videogame hardware and software, dedicated portable system hardware and software (i.e. the DS and PSP - not mobile phones), PC games, and online PC and console games.

But the Xbox 360's selling power could be on the wane, according to DFC's research. The company has raised its forecast for the Nintendo Wii and PlayStation 3 and lowered its forecast for Microsoft's console, predicting that the Wii will stay on top at least through 2008 and that the PS3 will move into overdrive in 2009.

"The Xbox 360 will need to build a strong base outside North America to avoid being in a fairly distant third," said DFC analyst David Cole. "We could have a situation where the Wii sells more hardware units, but by 2012 the PlayStation 3 is generating more software revenue."

Using three separate market forecasting models, DFC estimates that combined cumulative worldwide sales for the three console systems will reach between 180 million to 210 million units by 2012.

But home consoles won't be the only winners, according to DFC. The PC market, spurred by the success of online games and digital distribution, stands to grow to $13 billion by 2012, the research indicates. Previous DFC estimates put the online PC game market at about $4.5 billion in 2006.

Handheld systems and software are also strong performers and Cole predicts that "the Nintendo DS could eventually become the best-selling game system ever in five years."
    Apparently the PS3 is getting is Dual Shock/Rumble back.

I would have taken the rumble over the tilt any day!
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    toys r us has a buy 2 get 1 free promo going on now

i have a ps3... was thinking of picking up madden and tiger... but not sure what else to get

i don't know anything about the other games and what is good

help?
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • which console should i get? i'm thinking about getting the new tiger woods '08 game and need something to play it on.

what a stupid question,

get a ps3, so you can enjoy other good games too!!
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
    bostonlou wrote:
    toys r us has a buy 2 get 1 free promo going on now

i have a ps3... was thinking of picking up madden and tiger... but not sure what else to get

i don't know anything about the other games and what is good

help?

I got the new Tiger Woods for PS3 a couple weeks ago. Fun game!
    I hadn't played a Tiger Woods game in about 4 years. As soon as I got it I went online and played...got my ass KICKED! LOL
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    mca47 wrote:
    I got the new Tiger Woods for PS3 a couple weeks ago. Fun game!
    I hadn't played a Tiger Woods game in about 4 years. As soon as I got it I went online and played...got my ass KICKED! LOL

what do i need to do to get online and play with PS3?

i've connected it to my wireless connection... but now what?
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
    bostonlou wrote:
    what do i need to do to get online and play with PS3?

i've connected it to my wireless connection... but now what?

If you want to play online, and you've already got it set up to use your wireless connection, you'll know if you're online when you turn the machine on and it will sign in to the PS Network (pop up in the right corner will say 'signed in') and you can access the PS Store.

If you want to play online, just fire up whatever game you have that supports online play and the rest should be pretty easy to figure out.

edit - if your question is what do you do to set up the wireless network to work with the PS3 - Turn on the PS3 and go to settings, network settings, and internet connection settings (wireless network) - http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/connectwireless.html
    what a stupid question,

get a ps3, so you can enjoy other good games too!!

There's a better library of games for the 360.
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    i concur

and i am branded with a sony tattoo on this board
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Right now I am torn between the two, can someone update me what "big" games (minus the FF series of course) that are being planned for the PS3 (that I guess will not be on the 360) ...also pardon my ignorance, what exactly is the "ring of death" (obvious a malfunction but curious as to the details) and what is the frequency of it occuring (old to new models, etc.)

Any help would be great.
    PS3 has Metal Gear Solid 4 (Although there are very strong rumours that this will be heading to 360) It's got Tekken 6, Warhawk just came out and is supposed to be good. A new God of War no doubt, that's about it for AAA titles that i'm aware of. Xbox definatly has way more games and exclusives but it has been out longer. I got an 360 and i don't need a PS3 because of it. There isn't much difference between the two. I'd say if you can't wait get a 360 because it has loads of decent games out now and in the future, if you can wait 6-12 months to decide and see what the PS3 is going to offer then do so. 360 is selling 2:1 on PS3 at the mo.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Anyone ever bought a console off Ebay?

Would anyone recommend it?
    I wouldnt unless its a real bargin just for warrenty purposes. If it breaks your screwed.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • mole1985 wrote:
    I wouldnt unless its a real bargin just for warrenty purposes. If it breaks your screwed.

Yeah that is what I was thinking...however there are some good deals that have the one year warranty....I am so torn though...and I really could care less about HD/Blu-Ray movies, I just want a system for the gaming.

Any comment on the "ring of death"?
    Right now I am torn between the two, can someone update me what "big" games (minus the FF series of course) that are being planned for the PS3 (that I guess will not be on the 360) ...also pardon my ignorance, what exactly is the "ring of death" (obvious a malfunction but curious as to the details) and what is the frequency of it occuring (old to new models, etc.)

Any help would be great.

The red ring of death is when your xbox's power button shows three red rings instead of the green light - rumors attribute this to poor soldering on the circuit boards, and as a result of this shoddy workmanship transistors and pieces are melting - so your console is basically overheating.
    This is a free repair(s) over a 3 year warranty. The frequency of this is also guessed to be between 30-33%.
    My xbox, and my brother's, is just over a year old and I've never had a problem of any kind with it nor has he. Other people have had to get them repaired or replaced 2-4 or maybe even 5 times (so they say).
    Generally there is a 2 week turn around on repairs. If you can't go two weeks without video games, however, I know a nice internet cafe in China you should visit.

Mole nailed most of the PS3 upcomers. Not too keen on Warhawk - looks good but I've already got Battlefield for the PC - but I would add Gran Turismo 5 to that list. Heavenly Sword is currently out, and basically a good looking rip off of GoW (gameplay wise).

I enjoyed Formula 1, and the Darkness was quite good.

A lot of stuff is cross console, and to be truthful, the multiplatform games are quite similar between the 360 and PS3...so if you had a PS3 now I would include games like Rainbow Six Vegas, GRAW 2, DiRT (RIP Colin Macrae).

The PS3 should catch up with exclusives but it has been taking a frustrating while to do so.

Common technical problems reported with the PS3 - electrical whining associated with the fan (you'll know the first time you plug it in and it heats up enough to fire the fan up, and this is an immediate exchange wherever you got it) and controller signal loss - I'll get back to you on this after Sony gives me some info...
    Yeah that is what I was thinking...however there are some good deals that have the one year warranty....I am so torn though...and I really could care less about HD/Blu-Ray movies, I just want a system for the gaming.

Any comment on the "ring of death"?

I'm with mole - it would have to be a hefty discount, imo.
  • Rygar wrote:
    The red ring of death is when your xbox's power button shows three red rings instead of the green light - rumors attribute this to poor soldering on the circuit boards, and as a result of this shoddy workmanship transistors and pieces are melting - so your console is basically overheating.
    This is a free repair(s) over a 3 year warranty. The frequency of this is also guessed to be between 30-33%.
    My xbox, and my brother's, is just over a year old and I've never had a problem of any kind with it nor has he. Other people have had to get them repaired or replaced 2-4 or maybe even 5 times (so they say).
    Generally there is a 2 week turn around on repairs. If you can't go two weeks without video games, however, I know a nice internet cafe in China you should visit.

Mole nailed most of the PS3 upcomers. Not too keen on Warhawk - looks good but I've already got Battlefield for the PC - but I would add Gran Turismo 5 to that list. Heavenly Sword is currently out, and basically a good looking rip off of GoW (gameplay wise).

I enjoyed Formula 1, and the Darkness was quite good.

A lot of stuff is cross console, and to be truthful, the multiplatform games are quite similar between the 360 and PS3...so if you had a PS3 now I would include games like Rainbow Six Vegas, GRAW 2, DiRT (RIP Colin Macrae).

The PS3 should catch up with exclusives but it has been taking a frustrating while to do so.

Common technical problems reported with the PS3 - electrical whining associated with the fan (you'll know the first time you plug it in and it heats up enough to fire the fan up, and this is an immediate exchange wherever you got it) and controller signal loss - I'll get back to you on this after Sony gives me some info...

Wow 30% is pretty high....I thought maybe 15%.....damn!

Yeah this is actually a tough decision as my fiance has her Wii but now I need my system....and I will be only getting one until the next generation of systems come out....what to do....what to do lol :)
    Wow 30% is pretty high....I thought maybe 15%.....damn!

Yeah this is actually a tough decision as my fiance has her Wii but now I need my system....and I will be only getting one until the next generation of systems come out....what to do....what to do lol :)

Yeah, 30% is pretty high but it's an estimate because MS won't release actual figures. It could be much lower or could even be higher.
    My failure rate is 0%, though ;)
    As far as having a good time gaming though, it's worth a potential 2 week layoff...my two cents.