xbox or ps3?

sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,191
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
which console should i get? i'm thinking about getting the new tiger woods '08 game and need something to play it on.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    ps3 can power your refrigerator
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    macgyver06 wrote:
    ps3 can kill your refrigerator

Right now I'd say go with the 360 cause there's a better selection of games.
    PS3's selection looks to improve drastically over the next few months though.
    This is all my opinion, mind you.
  • macgyver06 wrote:
    ps3 can power your refrigerator

Which is good because it can't do much of anything else... lol

Seriously, you can watch Blu-Ray movies which is nice I suppose... oh wait, you were talking about games, right?

Go with the 360. This isn't even close right now for people who want to play GAMES and it probably won't even be a contest for another year or so, so why short yourself of all the great games you can be playing right now?

I could go on but it's all been said before.

No.Brainer.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    There pretty much the same but the xbox 360 def has a much, much better selection of games at the min and the near future.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    The 360 def. has more games to choose from now but the PS3 has a ton coming out soon.

I recently got a 60GB PS3.
    It's really a great deal right now. They are phasing out the 60GB with 80GB models that are $100 more.

Because you can swap ANY harddrive in and out of a PS3, to me it made sense to get the 60GB, save money, and be able to upgrade to any size HDD in the future if I want to. Hell, I can get a 120GB harddrive for less then $100.

Anyways, right now I'd say the 360 will be the best bang for the buck...but by the end of the year you might be saving up for another purchase.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    This could quickly turn into a fanboy thread. I own a 360 and have been really pleased with it. I did have the "ring of death" once, but the customer service was top notch.

PS3 does look good too though, and the blu-ray is a real plus. I just think the price is what is hurting it more than anything.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    If you want the best gaming experience, get an XBOX 360.

If you want an expensive (but cheap blu-ray) movie player with a lesser gaming experience, get a PS3.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    This could quickly turn into a fanboy thread. I own a 360 and have been really pleased with it. I did have the "ring of death" once, but the customer service was top notch.

PS3 does look good too though, and the blu-ray is a real plus. I just think the price is what is hurting it more than anything.

Yeah, I'm just waiting for it to turn south...sadly, they all do.

If you have the means and the money, I think the best suggestion is this...

Get both! :D
  • DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    Do you prefer Halo or Final Fantasy?

If you need to play Halo, you will need an Xbox360.
    If you need to play the next FF, you will need a PS3.
    If you need to play <insert game here>, you will need a <specific console>.

It really comes down to console-specific gaming, because the technology will usually be somewhat equal...with compromises here and there.
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    PJPOWER wrote:
    If you want the best gaming experience, get an XBOX 360.

If you want an expensive (but cheap blu-ray) movie player with a lesser gaming experience, get a PS3.

I'd have to disagree.. the game experiences are similar, but as has been said 360 has the majority of games right now and PS3 will have A LOT of games coming out in the next 6 months.

Comes down to which games you want to play and if you care about HD movies.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361

Seriously, you can watch Blu-Ray movies which is nice I suppose... oh wait, you were talking about games, right?

Go with the 360. This isn't even close right now for people who want to play GAMES and it probably won't even be a contest for another year or so, so why short yourself of all the great games you can be playing right now?

No.Brainer.

haha, i almost posted the exact same thing...

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
    chromiam wrote:
    I'd have to disagree.. the game experiences are similar, but as said 360 has the majority of games right now and PS3 will have A LOT of games coming out in the next 6 months.

Comes down to which games you want to play and if you care about HD movies.
    You're probably right. There were a lot of things that I didn't like about the PS3 after playing it a few times. I like mostly the FPS and TPS games and the PS3 controller just didn't feel natural at all. The 360's controler is almost designed specifically for those types of games, with the vibrating feedback and layout. The only games I've ever liked from any of sony's systems are the Final Fantasy games and Resident Evil, but I don't think the next Resident Evil is an exclusive for the PS3. I like online gaming too (probably the only reason I even have a game console) and 360's online service blows everything else away. To each their own. But in my opinion, the 360 is a way better system with much better support for the games.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360360vv
  • sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,191
    thanks for the info everyone. i think i'll go with the xbox 360 elite version.

i have to buy something separate to play hd-dvd though?
    thanks for the info everyone. i think i'll go with the xbox 360 elite version.

You'll need the HD DVD add on, which ranges frfom 179 to 200 but watch for deals and 5 movies added for free type stuff.
    And get an HDMI cable :)
  • DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    Microsoft did not want to put a native HDDVD nor BluRay DVD in their system because if one technology won out over the other, they did not want their system to become obsolete like Beta VCRs.

So yeah, you'll have to buy the HDDVD addon separately. An HDMI cable comes with the Xbox Elite (the black one).
  • sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,191
    Derrick wrote:
    Microsoft did not want to put a native HDDVD nor BluRay DVD in their system because if one technology won out over the other, they did not want their system to become obsolete like Beta VCRs.

So yeah, you'll have to buy the HDDVD addon separately. An HDMI cable comes with the Xbox Elite (the black one).

ah, makes sense.

thanks.
  • thanks for the info everyone. i think i'll go with the xbox 360 elite version.

Amazon has a great deal going on right now where you get a total of 8 free movies when you buy the add-on:

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_4545332_2/105-1255495-3997206?ie=UTF8&node=193642011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=browse&pf_rd_r=0E74399FEAY578SNW23V&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=299403301&pf_rd_i=130
    Derrick wrote:

Oh that is good. I had no idea they put an HDMI cable in with it.
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477

No.Brainer.
    tiger got a better review on ps3 than 360

if you dont mind missing out on 2 months every year while your 360 is getting fixed yea go with the 360
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
    Well as much of a killer franchise as Tiger is, ignore the waaaambulance there.

The entertainment value of the xbox outweighs it's hardware faults by a mile.
    If the box has 'Zephyr' written on it you might avoid any technical problems (that's the rumour, anyway).
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Does anyone know if the new Grand Theft Auto coming out on both of these? Cause I was going to get one or the other in a few months too, but couldnt decide.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Does anyone know if the new Grand Theft Auto coming out on both of these? Cause I was going to get one or the other in a few months too, but couldnt decide.

It is coming out on both yes, although there are some delays that are possibly due to the XBox using DVD instead of a higher capacity disc...in which case it is likely the PS3 version is going to have the edge.
    I'm sure there'll be some reviews and such when the time comes, though.
    Oh, I played the NHL 08 demo yesterday and was sorely disappointed. Not because the game is bad, because it isn't, but because it is not that much different from 07, defeating the 70 dollar price tag.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i had a 360 for about 2 months.... not really that impressed at all. you have to buy all the extra crap, pay for xbox live, and no wireless option straight out of the box. traded it for a ps3 at the aussie launch, and couldn't be happier with my decision..... sure, there isn't the same range of games just yet, but there are some killer titles on the horizon!!!
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    tiger got a better review on ps3 than 360

if you dont mind missing out on 2 months every year while your 360 is getting fixed yea go with the 360
    I had a launch console. It worked fine for a year, then I got the "Ring of death" lights, so I had to send it in to be fixed. It was returned to me in less than 2 weeks....
    Lukin4 wrote:
    i had a 360 for about 2 months.... not really that impressed at all. you have to buy all the extra crap, pay for xbox live, and no wireless option straight out of the box. traded it for a ps3 at the aussie launch, and couldn't be happier with my decision..... sure, there isn't the same range of games just yet, but there are some killer titles on the horizon!!!

You only have to buy the extra crap if you got the core console without a harddrive or wireless controller.
    XBL is great, and worth the 60 bucks a year.
    To each their own, though.
    I have F1 and the Darkness for the PS3, haven't liked much else. I downloaded the Folklore demo the other day though, haven't got to try it yet...
    PJPOWER wrote:
    I had a launch console. It worked fine for a year, then I got the "Ring of death" lights, so I had to send it in to be fixed. It was returned to me in less than 2 weeks....

I have had my console since last September. Hasn't even crashed once, let alone hardware issues.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Rygar wrote:
    You only have to buy the extra crap if you got the core console without a harddrive or wireless controller.
    XBL is great, and worth the 60 bucks a year.
    To each their own, though.
    I have F1 and the Darkness for the PS3, haven't liked much else. I downloaded the Folklore demo the other day though, haven't got to try it yet...

No, i got the 360 with the hard drive and wireless controller.... but then you have to buy the charge kit for the controller, wireless network adapter etc etc etc.... typical microsoft shit! and bluray will reign supreme, having seen a direct comparison just last week. so all you xbox owners can expect to fork out for the bluray addon at some point as well!!! i bet your all looking forward to that...
    Lukin4 wrote:
    No, i got the 360 with the hard drive and wireless controller.... but then you have to buy the charge kit for the controller, wireless network adapter etc etc etc.... typical microsoft shit! and bluray will reign supreme, having seen a direct comparison just last week. so all you xbox owners can expect to fork out for the bluray addon at some point as well!!! i bet your all looking forward to that...

Oh, I see what you're saying. Yeah the charge kit is extra, or use batteries. I don't think the wireless nic is a big deal, as the ethernet cable works as good or better....
    By the time BR wins the format battle it won't matter, as anyone with an HD DVD add on will have tons of movie choices, and they will always work with it.

I'm starting to think the two formats are going to end up staying around anyway, what with all the money being thrown around (like they joined either camp because of how good the tech. was in the first place, right? ;)