Accents!

Comments

• Hinny wrote:
    What do they say instead of sticky tape?

I love a soft French accent.

Not so much a rough German one. Feels like I'm copping abuse when it might actually be a compliment.
    we call it sellotape... but we know what you're talking about if ya say sticky tape.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • evenkatevenkat Posts: 380
    we call it sellotape... but we know what you're talking about if ya say sticky tape.

Lol is that what we call scotch tape? The tape used to wrap gifts.
    "...believe in lies...to get by...it's divine...whoa...oh, you know what its like..."
  • evenkat wrote:
    Lol is that what we call scotch tape? The tape used to wrap gifts.
    :D Yep... we understand scotch too :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Sellotape here too :p
    In Croatia, I mean, haha.
    And my accent is American...New England ;)

Oh yeah, sorry Dunk, but really, Scottish accents are probably the worst for me
    to figure out. Now I'm ok, but years ago I met this Scottish guy who was talking to me on the bus and I totally couldn't understand a word he was saying...:o
    Back then, now I'm a pro :p
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    Hinny wrote:

Not so much a rough German one. Feels like I'm copping abuse when it might actually be a compliment.

:D German really isn't a nice sounding language. The Austrian version doesn't sound quite as hard (and most Germans don't understand it) but it isn't a sexy language in the least.
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    Irish men smooth? :D:D hahahahaha... I just find this too funny! In fairness to them, they try to be... in a James Bond kinda way, but most of them don't have the Pierce Brosnan accent so it's not quite the same in a bogger accent :D

Maybe I met tourists posing as Irish men then :D
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Sonja_S wrote:
    Maybe I met tourists posing as Irish men then :D
    :D more than likely... although I've heard this one about Irish men before and it just makes me laugh :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Wow, I just have to start a thread on this. I never realised how much an accent can get you chatted up... til Chicago! I'm one of those people who are pretty slow to catch on that people are chatting me up... I just thought American guys are really really friendly... til evenkat pointed it out to me. I was like 'no you're wrong, I haven't noticed it' but then I was watching out and it was fucking hilarious. Even if I just asked for a lighter, they would make conversation :D ... and I was shocked at how absolutely gorgeous most of these guys were. Ya know the kind that are really big headed and wouldn't look twice at ya at home... were chatting me up :eek:

I'm telling ya, accents are fucking brilliant, you should all get one :p

it all depends where you are, b/c i have one too. :D
    i LIKE my accent....some do, some don't. i know many have a love/hate approach to my accent. i definitely sound like a NYer, but i don't have a truly heavy NY accent.

it's funny, my husband was born in queens, moved to nassau as a young boy. you could still always hear the 'queens' influence in his accent, definitely not a genuine LI accent. now that he has been working in the city boroughs, brooklyn and queens again, his accent has become more and more pronounced, it's funny. :p

for the record, i ADORE accents, of ALL kinds. i love the flavor they add to speech.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• :D I LOVE your accent d2d. It's soooo New York!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • :D I LOVE your accent d2d. It's soooo New York!

:D
    well that's me.

accents are fun!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    :D I LOVE your accent d2d. It's soooo New York!
    yep..and you're Soooo Irish!

now you guys can't say the same thing :p (in English anyway..my accent in french is pretty strong southerner..think Edinburgh for the UK)
  • Pegasus wrote:
    yep..and you're Soooo Irish!

now you guys can't say the same thing :p (in English anyway..my accent in french is pretty strong southerner..think Edinburgh for the UK)
    Haha, you're not so French as Sandra accent :D;)
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
    Haha, you're not so French as Sandra accent :D;)
    yep, I got my own unique accent that people pick as randomly:
    spanish, south african, dutch, german, slovak, scandinavian, Italian, Irish (yep got that one), east european, english (only americans ever said that)...then sometimes eventually: "not french?.."
    :p
  • vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    haha I have an Aussie accent (never steve Irwin or Croc Dundee, not too yobbo ('yob' for those UK people), just an ordinary Aussie accent.... I picked up a little English in it when I lived there ... I was almost disowned, and I still have this thing where i pause harshly, but quickly when I say certain words. who knows why it's stuck around...

um... don't ever tell me that you think my accent is sexy... I'd surely then use it against you haha.
  • Well TALLY HO OLD CHAPS!
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    Well TALLY HO OLD CHAPS!
    haha nice 6,000th post!
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    Dylan Moran: german sounds like "Typewriters eating tinfoil being kicked down a stairs." - just to clarify - i think thats funny but i like SOME german accents

Swedish accents - PHWAOR
    Dutch people speaking English? - :D
    Welsh - Can do it for me if the girls right
    Donegal (county in Ireland) Accents - PHWAOR
  • vital5 wrote:
    haha nice 6,000th post!

THANKYOU :D It had to be done.......
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    oh, did I mention that I now have a bit of an english accent when speaking french..especially when I just landed?

seriously, I had french people coming to ask me for a lighter, in english, whilst I was in teh middle of a conversation in french with another french person :confused:

I don't mind :D
    Pegasus wrote:
    oh, did I mention that I now have a bit of an english accent when speaking french..especially when I just landed?

seriously, I had french people coming to ask me for a lighter, in english, whilst I was in teh middle of a conversation in french with another french person :confused:

I don't mind :D
    le flamethower? :D
  • HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    JordyWordy wrote:
    Dylan Moran: german sounds like "Typewriters eating tinfoil being kicked down a stairs." - just to clarify - i think thats funny but i like SOME german accents

Swedish accents - PHWAOR
    Dutch people speaking English? - :D
    Welsh - Can do it for me if the girls right
    Donegal (county in Ireland) Accents - PHWAOR
    Dutch accents... they seem like they're constantly trying to spit at you.

I haven't really heard too many Swedish accents. Maybe I have. It's not too memorable. Either that, or I'm too absorbed in the perving to notice how they talk. Or in the case of the time I spent around a bunch of swedes in Copenhagen this year, too pissed to notice.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Definitely, Irish is the best IMO. Irish guys sound nice. :)
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Definitely, Irish is the best IMO. Irish guys sound nice. :)
    Yeah, we're a nice bunch of lads. Check out his fine specimen: http://www.thespoonbender.com/images/0404/042104_shane.jpg
    One of our finest songwriters and performers :D
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Yeah, we're a nice bunch of lads. Check out his fine specimen: http://www.thespoonbender.com/images/0404/042104_shane.jpg
    One of our finest songwriters and performers :D
    ooohh yep, he reminds me of chocolate :) great example hitch :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Hinny wrote:

:D

i spent a week in the netherlands for the pj gig this past june and with a great friend from here. spent a good deal of time with many of his friends too. i joked around with them that dutch is most definitely NOT a language for sexy, dirty talk in bed, haha. :p they whole-heartedly agreed. ;) however, i DO like the sound of the language and the accent, it's endearing. although as i mentioned earlier, i like just about ALL accents simply b/c they add such language to speech. nowadays i work with people from all oer the world......even have an aussie hinny! we do have a few dutch and germans n our group as well...along with a smattering of other accents.....i think it's awesome!

even amongst native english-speakers, i'd guess at least 90% in my office are not native NYers, so got loads of US regional accents, or lack there of. ;) haha.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    Hinny wrote:

I haven't really heard too many Swedish accents. Maybe I have. It's not too memorable. Either that, or I'm too absorbed in the perving to notice how they talk. Or in the case of the time I spent around a bunch of swedes in Copenhagen this year, too pissed to notice.

id have to admit that perving is the major part of the experience alrite. after a while though you have to enter dialogue and then you notice it....although now i think about it maybe it wasnt the accents that i liked.....:D

perfect description of dutch. i like it, but my god is it funny. "Pleasshshh"
  • Im liking the dutch accent but andrew maxwell pretty much summed it up last monday night on the panel :D Pretty damn funny, i wanna go to aussie for a year and pick up that accent and lose my college cork accent
  • i wanna go to aussie for a year and pick up that accent

Don't DO that!
    Hinny wrote:

if the swedes in question were Johan and Petter, they were definitely pissed too when we bumped into them in the hostel bathroom at 7am!! (and they were getting UP!)..and considering tehy must have been around with Ida, I can see the perving.. Ed had the same one ;)
  • Im liking the dutch accent but andrew maxwell pretty much summed it up last monday night on the panel :D Pretty damn funny, i wanna go to aussie for a year and pick up that accent and lose my college cork accent
    :D Yep... I was nodding in COMPLETE agreement! That was hilarious.

I love that programme :o it should be on EVERY night!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life