Accents!

Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Wow, I just have to start a thread on this. I never realised how much an accent can get you chatted up... til Chicago! I'm one of those people who are pretty slow to catch on that people are chatting me up... I just thought American guys are really really friendly... til evenkat pointed it out to me. I was like 'no you're wrong, I haven't noticed it' but then I was watching out and it was fucking hilarious. Even if I just asked for a lighter, they would make conversation :D ... and I was shocked at how absolutely gorgeous most of these guys were. Ya know the kind that are really big headed and wouldn't look twice at ya at home... were chatting me up :eek:

I'm telling ya, accents are fucking brilliant, you should all get one :p
The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
Verona??? it's all surmountable
Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
Wembley? We all believe!
Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
Chicago 07? And love
What a different life
Had I not found this love with you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I don't understand what the fascination is with Irish accents, but it has worked to my advantage in the past when talking to foreign ladies :)
    Me? I love a soft scottish accent. Any girl with that will have me salivating all over them.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    I don't understand what the fascination is with Irish accents, but it has worked to my advantage in the past when talking to foreign ladies :)
    Me? I love a soft scottish accent. Any girl with that will have me salivating all over them.
    :D I don't understand the fascination either but I ain't complaining :)

I really need to get back to Chicago and take full advantage of it :p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    ohh, I loooooooove Irish and Scottish accents. :o
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • In a strictly hetero way I do LOVE your accent, Hels :D Good for you using it to your advantage ;) When I get to Dublin and hear all those Irish accents, look out men of Ireland :D:p

I tend to be a bit of a sucker for an accent as well. If a guy has an accent... *swoons* I am not sure how far my Canadian accent would get me though, eh? :p
    In a strictly hetero way I do LOVE your accent, Hels :D Good for you using it to your advantage When I get to Dublin and hear all those Irish accents, look out men of Ireland

I tend to be a bit of a sucker for an accent as well. If a guy has an accent... *swoons* I am not sure how far my Canadian accent would get me though, eh? :p
    :D I just found it all quite amusing... especially some of the guys who I knew wouldn't even LOOK at me if it weren't for the accent.

The first night some guy in our hotel asked me up to his hotel room :D and we hadn't even kissed :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    :D I just found it all quite amusing... especially some of the guys who I knew wouldn't even LOOK at me if it weren't for the accent.

The first night some guy in our hotel asked me up to his hotel room :D and we hadn't even kissed :D

Speedy mover huh? I have a bit of a geordie accent, which has it's benefits.;)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    Speedy mover huh? I have a bit of a geordie accent, which has it's benefits.;)
    :D It was funny... cos it didn't even seem like we were GOING to kiss. We just went out for a cigarette and he just asked me up to the room and I said 'to be honest I wasn't planning on getting any sleep tonight', (yep, set myself up there) and he replied 'neither was I' :D I just had to laugh.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Im startin to pick up a cork accent from college, Im starting to sound like a complete langer :D Might have to start spending time in scotland or head out the west of ireland for a few months
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    somehow a scranton, pa accent doesn't have the same effect. ;)
    :D It was funny... cos it didn't even seem like we were GOING to kiss. We just went out for a cigarette and he just asked me up to the room and I said 'to be honest I wasn't planning on getting any sleep tonight', (yep, set myself up there) and he replied 'neither was I' :D I just had to laugh.
    Ya big filthbag ;)

So what accents does everyone else like? Obviously my North Dublin accent is irresistable to everyone, but if I wasn't around, what would yez go for?
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    nfanel wrote:
    Hey welcome back Nic!
    I love to turn you on
    Im startin to pick up a cork accent from college, Im starting to sound like a complete langer :D Might have to start spending time in scotland or head out the west of ireland for a few months
    The Cork accent is WAY too easy to pick up :o I've had one once or twice and I'd be saying stuff thinking 'why the fuck am I talking like that?'

Hitch, I like the South African... really manly and just makes me want to fall into line :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Wow, I just have to start a thread on this. I never realised how much an accent can get you chatted up... til Chicago! I'm one of those people who are pretty slow to catch on that people are chatting me up... I just thought American guys are really really friendly... til evenkat pointed it out to me. I was like 'no you're wrong, I haven't noticed it' but then I was watching out and it was fucking hilarious. Even if I just asked for a lighter, they would make conversation :D ... and I was shocked at how absolutely gorgeous most of these guys were. Ya know the kind that are really big headed and wouldn't look twice at ya at home... were chatting me up :eek:

I'm telling ya, accents are fucking brilliant, you should all get one :p

I love those accents, although any time I've tried to mimic, I've failed miserably. So I just try and drink like the Irish and that seems to work.
    I love to turn you on
    nfanel wrote:
    :D It would on me... I love American accents.

Steve lol, there are very few people who CAN do the accents. Doesn't stop em from trying though :rolleyes:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    The Cork accent is WAY too easy to pick up :o I've had one once or twice and I'd be saying stuff thinking 'why the fuck am I talking like that?'

Hitch, I like the South African... really manly and just makes me want to fall into line :o

apparently I pick up an Irish accent fairly easily. lol. and when that happens I also get the 'why am I talking like this?' thing. :o

Scottish and Irish are my faves. I also like Northern English ones and Aussie accent, although sometimes it's tough to understand. :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838

Ah Helen if we meet any Saffas on a night out they're yours :D:p ... for some reason it's one of the accents I like least ... can't seem to get over the 'ya' for 'yes' thing :o

I noticed when I was in the States my accent would attract attention aswell.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    Chime wrote:
    Ah Helen if we meet any Saffas on a night out they're yours ... for some reason it's one of the accents I like least ... can't seem to get over the 'ya' for 'yes' thing :o

I noticed when I was in the States my accent would attract attention aswell.
    :D I dunno, it's just so militant!

I did like the Welsh one for a while til there was that Welsh girl on Big Brother who just really annoyed me.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Im going to aussie next year, im gonna come back with a cork/aussie/east waterford accent,Ill have my own dialect!
    Out of curiosity, how many Irish accents are there??? I know in the US there are different ones, but it's a big freakin country, but Ireland isn't all that big, so I'm just wondering which accents there are...
    I love to turn you on
    Out of curiosity, how many Irish accents are there??? I know in the US there are different ones, but it's a big freakin country, but Ireland isn't all that big, so I'm just wondering which accents there are...
    there's several... the most distinctive would be maybe Louth (beautiful accent Al :p ), Dublin, Cork, Kerry... ah Jaysus we may as well name every county :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • :D It was funny... cos it didn't even seem like we were GOING to kiss. We just went out for a cigarette and he just asked me up to the room and I said 'to be honest I wasn't planning on getting any sleep tonight', (yep, set myself up there) and he replied 'neither was I' :D I just had to laugh.

I can't believe you walked right into that one, Hels :eek: :p
  • All this talk of accents... I need to find a guy with a nice accent see if it makes me want to fall into line :p;)
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    hey i'll admit i'm a sucker for an accent.....irish definitely....in fact i'd say the whole uk, more or less...:)....and let me not leave out our friends down under :o ....even here in the states a good southern accent can get me...:)
    cutback wrote:
    hey i'll admit i'm a sucker for an accent.....irish definitely....in fact i'd say the whole uk, more or less...:)....and let me not leave out our friends down under :o ....even here in the states a good southern accent can get me...:)

Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    You betchyerass!
    I love to turn you on
    I can't believe you walked right into that one, Hels :eek: :p
    :o I know... shameful! :D

I love a good Southern US accent too... just don't call me ma'am please :eek: wtf's THAT about?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Yeah, for the size of the country we have a shitload of accents. Around 30 or so unique accents altogether.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    :o I know... shameful! :D

I love a good Southern US accent too... just don't call me ma'am please :eek: wtf's THAT about?

Matthew McConaughey :o ... love his accent ... don't mind the rest of him either ;)
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    Hey welcome back Nic!
    thanks! i'd love to say it's good to be back but, well, chicago/the beach vs. work....hmmm, tough call. :D
    Chime wrote:
    Matthew McConaughey :o ... love his accent ... don't mind the rest of him either ;)
    YESSSSSSSSS!!!!! That's all I have to say :o

He could call me ma'am any time... I'd rather he didn't... but I wouldn't kick him out of bed for it :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I don't mind accents, as long as it's not a southern (American) accent.

Just awful!