Accents!

Comments

• you areyou are Posts: 1,651
    i went to an irish pub last night and just about everyone that worked there was irish! :eek: i loved it! :p
    No need to be void, or save up on life...
    You got to spend it all
  • you are wrote:
    i went to an irish pub last night and just about everyone that worked there was irish! :eek: i loved it! :p
    I went to an irish pub last night and just about everyone that worked there was polish, im starting to learn polish from the people i work with in dunnes :D Pretty easy language to pick up, i can speak about as much polish as irish now
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I think Irish and Australian sounds nicest on a girl, and some south of England accents are ok as well if they are soft.

Its funny how accents are different throughout small countries though. My accent is very different from someone who stays in the north of Scotland, and quite different from the east. Read recently that the Edinburgh accent is becoming more like the Glasgow accent though. Pfft, Edinburgh trying to copy us. Get your own accent!! lol
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    Men ( / women) find it difficult to approach someone and start a conversation.....there needs to be a topic, accent is a good way of chatting up someone. Conversation will start off with accent and then go where ever.......

Plus good-looking men find it hard to chat up women because they are more afraid of rejection......so they need a topic....

Bad-looking men on the other hand have this attitude " i've got nothing to lose"
    genie wrote:

Plus good-looking men find it hard to chat up women because they are more afraid of rejection......so they need a topic....

Bad-looking men on the other hand have this attitude " i've got nothing to lose"

Not sure i would agree with any of that! lol
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,127
    stu gee wrote:
    I don't agree with that either....
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    a beautiful women is already enough to drive a guy up the wall but when she has an accent?

ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........ruff.......rufff........oooowwwwwwwwwwwww
    gggrrrrrrr............rufff.rufff.rufff...rufff...gggrrrrrr.....owwwwwwww
    gggrr
    :D
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    i *love* accents, just about any kind is appealing. we used to have an aussie call here every so often for info and i loved talking to him on the phone just to perv on his voice :D haha

even if there isn't an accent, a deep baritone sort of voice also gets my gears going. GRR!
    stu gee wrote:
    I don't agree with that either....

i saw this program on tv, it was experiment. They told a beautiful, slim,well-breasted,young,blonde woman to sit alone on a bench or something near a street where a lot of people where passing by. A lot of good-looking men only looked at her..........a guy who actually approached her was old, skinny and wrinkly
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    I didn't read this whole thing Helen
    but
    oh yeah ladies love foreign accents! I don't why either but it sounds so good. I like English and Australian accents (no offense!).

I'm sure if I were in Ireland I'd swoon over the Irish boys too :)

I have a pretty big New Yawk accent myself :)
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    genie wrote:
    i saw this program on tv, it was experiment. They told a beautiful, slim,well-breasted,young,blonde woman to sit alone on a bench or something near a street where a lot of people where passing by. A lot of good-looking men only looked at her..........a guy who actually approached her was old, skinny and wrinkly

I wouldnt tend to go and start chatting up a random woman on a park bench no matter what i looked like if im honest, unless she was really, really giving me the come on, which would be kind of odd. I tend to treat bars/clubs/parties as more of an environment where i would chat up a girl. You can obviously meet girls anywhere, but park benches arent where i would first look when trying to pull!! lol
    genie wrote:
    I'm not a very good looking guy and I always hesitated or never talked to women. I'd say the guy who knows he isn't the cute guy is more reserved because he doesn't want the rejection to be because he wasn't attractive enough. Being told you're ugly and not worth going out with does tend to hurt the emotions and confidence.
    stu gee wrote:
    I wouldnt tend to go and start chatting up a random woman on a park bench no matter what i looked like if im honest, unless she was really, really giving me the come on, which would be kind of odd. I tend to treat bars/clubs/parties as more of an environment where i would chat up a girl. You can obviously meet girls anywhere, but park benches arent where i would first look when trying to pull!! lol

so you see it proves my point!! haha, you must be extremly hot ;)
    genie wrote:
    so you see it proves my point!! haha, you must be extremly hot ;)

Not sure why i was about to argue with this!! lol
    I'm not a very good looking guy and I always hesitated or never talked to women. I'd say the guy who knows he isn't the cute guy is more reserved because he doesn't want the rejection to be because he wasn't attractive enough. Being told you're ugly and not worth going out with does tend to hurt the emotions and confidence.

to some women you will look good to some you won't. The way you see yourself may not be the way women see you.

recently i was talking to this guy who was not my type at all and his facial features weren't what i would go for..........but there was something about him that i really liked...this aura about him.....

once i got chatted up by a guy who looked alright, and someone i would date. but to me he seemed to act like a dick and therefore i didn't like him
    genie wrote:
    to some women you will look good to some you won't. The way you see yourself may not be the way women see you.
    Just speaking from experience. It took a while for me to tear down that wall of rejection that I had built.
    Just speaking from experience. It took a while for me to tear down that wall of rejection that I had built.

yep, it's understandable :)
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    I see....:o

and just think, if that show was in Atlanta or somewhere else in the South, you wouldn't have been able to stand it then.....
    :D I woulda gotten by.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    I went to an irish pub last night and just about everyone that worked there was polish, im starting to learn polish from the people i work with in dunnes :D Pretty easy language to pick up, i can speak about as much polish as irish now
    :D too true! You'd be forgiven for being confused as to which country you live in at times
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    Helen.. You're welcome at my home anytime you wanna come back to Chicago.. and I promise I won't "chat you up" either.. Well, not unless we kiss first LOL

=)
    Just me
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    I was brought up in an Irish household in Australia. So I've got them both wired. Amazing where the Irish gets ya when your out and about. Likewise when I was in the states the Aussie worked a treat as well.

The funniest though is when I meet a girl in being normal Aussie guy and bring her to meet the folkes and I drop back in the Irish accent when I talk to them. I've seen some classic reactions :eek:
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
    Zanne wrote:
    Helen.. You're welcome at my home anytime you wanna come back to Chicago.. and I promise I won't "chat you up" either.. Well, not unless we kiss first LOL

=)
    :D:D well how could I say no to THAT? :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Austicman wrote:
    I was brought up in an Irish household in Australia. So I've got them both wired. Amazing where the Irish gets ya when your out and about. Likewise when I was in the states the Aussie worked a treat as well.

The funniest though is when I meet a girl in being normal Aussie guy and bring her to meet the folkes and I drop back in the Irish accent when I talk to them. I've seen some classic reactions :eek:
    :D So you're nothing but a fraud then :p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Austicman wrote:

I have this. I'm English as are my folks ... but spent several years living in Scotland. When I go back to the Scotland to visit friends I will get my Scottish accent back ... or when I'm official translator for dunkman on a night out :D ... if I have any English friends with me it gets funny looks. Also have the reverse when my Scottish friends visit me in England as they only know me with a Scottish accent :o
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    :D So you're nothing but a fraud then :p

Sez You Lady! After two trips to Ireland before I was 14 I would have kept the Irish accent if I didn't have to repeat myself to every Aussie I met. It was just easier to learn the lingo than having everyone I talk to go WHAT.......SAY AGAIN....HUH???
    Austicman wrote:
    Sez You Lady! After two trips to Ireland before I was 14 I would have kept the Irish accent if I didn't have to repeat myself to every Aussie I met. It was just easier to learn the lingo than having everyone I talk to go WHAT.......SAY AGAIN....HUH???
    :D well after 10 days in the States I've had to retrain myself not to talk about the 'fun in the line' (craic in the queue) or the bathrooms... what the fuck? I just want to piss... not have a fucking bath :D so yeh, I see where you're coming from :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    :D well after 10 days in the States I've had to retrain myself not to talk about the 'fun in the line' (craic in the queue) or the bathrooms... what the fuck? I just want to piss... not have a fucking bath :D so yeh, I see where you're coming from :D

Now thats comedy!!:D
  • eMMI wrote:
    ohh, I loooooooove Irish and Scottish accents. :o

I like irish too...scottish, I can't understand a fucking word :confused::D
    I feel very close to you all now; so close I could almost... loan you money. Really. it goes that deep.
    -Tom Waits-

Everybody should believe in something...I believe i'll have another drink - anonymous -

Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk.
    -Barney Gumble-
    :D I woulda gotten by.
    Hehe :D

I guess the music from the concert would drown out any ma'ams and y'alls that you would hear ;):D
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I like irish too...scottish, I can't understand a fucking word :confused::D

thats ok.. neither can I ;)

i was actually gonna do a youtube xmas message from dunk... and i was going to post a prize to the person who actually understood what i was saying...

of course i was a wee bit drunk when i thought of this idea :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.