Accents!

Comments

• gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I love the girl who's got the slight New England accent, 'puh-JAW-muh' instead of my 'pa-jah-muh' for pajama and 'aww-nt' instead of my 'ahh-nt' for aunt.

And don't even get me started on the difference between 'pop' and 'soda.'

Damn it drives me wild. :D
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    dunkman wrote:
    thats ok.. neither can I ;)

i was actually gonna do a youtube xmas message from dunk... and i was going to post a prize to the person who actually understood what i was saying...

of course i was a wee bit drunk when i thought of this idea :)

I had a hell of a time understanding you when you were a bit tipsy. As the evening went on and there was more and more drink, the less I understood!

My accent is a bit weird :o
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    redrock wrote:
    I had a hell of a time understanding you when you were a bit tipsy. As the evening went on and there was more and more drink, the less I understood!

My accent is a bit weird :o

sorry sweetie :o

i also talk pretty fast which disnae help :D

i thought your accent was ok!! but you do speak fast as well :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • I asked this Scottish bloke once what 'Och I dooonooo' meant and he said. 'Erm, I don't know'? (I felt so stupid). :o

I've been told I don't have an accent. At all, but I think that's rubbish, I'm sure most people would disagree.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I asked this Scottish bloke once what 'Och I dooonooo' meant and he said. 'Erm, I don't know'? (I felt so stupid). :o

I've been told I don't have an accent. At all, but I think that's rubbish, I'm sure most people would disagree.
    If you didn't have an accent, then you'd be mute. Everyone talks in one way or another that differentiates them from people from different parts of the world.
  • If you didn't have an accent, then you'd be mute. Everyone talks in one way or another that differentiates them from people from different parts of the world.

I know that. I'm not sure what people mean. I'd love to hear what I sound like to other people.
  • xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    i love accents.. esp. scottish ones.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    xscorcho wrote:
    i love accents.. esp. scottish ones.

me too!!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    :D well after 10 days in the States I've had to retrain myself not to talk about the 'fun in the line' (craic in the queue) or the bathrooms... what the fuck? I just want to piss... not have a fucking bath :D so yeh, I see where you're coming from :D

:D That's funny - my sister and I went to Dublin last weekend. We went to get some dinner and when I couldn't see where the toilets were and decided to ask the waitress we were like 'crap, what are the washrooms called in Ireland again?'. BTW, I found the Irish men quite smooth - my sister was a bit freaked out though.

Apparently I speak English with a Canadian accent (and vocabulary). One friend of my ex in Calgary actually complained that he was looking forward to my Austrian accent and then I didn't have one. I don't know if that sicko thought Schwarzenegger-English was sexy :p
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Unfortunately 19 years in England has diluted my birth-given Glaswegian accent somewhat (almost entirely) but I can still turn it on at will if needs be ;)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • roarroar Posts: 1,116
    accents are sexy.

too bad i live in a region with no distinctive voice, particular style or dialect.
  • vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    Wow, I just have to start a thread on this. I never realised how much an accent can get you chatted up... til Chicago! I'm one of those people who are pretty slow to catch on that people are chatting me up... I just thought American guys are really really friendly... til evenkat pointed it out to me. I was like 'no you're wrong, I haven't noticed it' but then I was watching out and it was fucking hilarious. Even if I just asked for a lighter, they would make conversation :D ... and I was shocked at how absolutely gorgeous most of these guys were. Ya know the kind that are really big headed and wouldn't look twice at ya at home... were chatting me up :eek:

I'm telling ya, accents are fucking brilliant, you should all get one :p
    what is this accent you speak of?... and how did the guys even understand you? ;) irish accents... well i guess there might be some hot ones... :p
    Speedy mover huh? I have a bit of a geordie accent, which has it's benefits.;)
    that just means you are able to understand other Geordies ;) heh
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    roar wrote:
    accents are sexy.

too bad i live in a region with no distinctive voice, particular style or dialect.
    depends which one...Brummy isn't for example..
    :D well after 10 days in the States I've had to retrain myself not to talk about the 'fun in the line' (craic in the queue) or the bathrooms... what the fuck? I just want to piss... not have a fucking bath :D so yeh, I see where you're coming from :D
    I had to learn some words whilst living in England... no one understood some of my Aussie words :p

like Liquid Paper.... They kinda got it... but "ohhhh you mean Tipex" haha

and sticky tape.... ha.
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    vital5 wrote:
    I had to learn some words whilst living in England... no one understood some of my Aussie words :p

like Liquid Paper.... They kinda got it... but "ohhhh you mean Tipex" haha

and sticky tape.... ha.

"tipex"...wtf is "tipex"??
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    "tipex"...wtf is "tipex"??
    It's that white stuff you use to cover up mistakes when you're writing. Bet you don't know what blu-tac is either :p
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
    It's that white stuff you use to cover up mistakes when you're writing. Bet you don't know what blu-tac is either :p
    I do... the stuff that rips the paint off walls when you take your posters down :)

Yeah...liquid paper...or more commonly "White-out"

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i admit i am a sucker for a glaswegian accent. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Yeah...liquid paper...or more commonly "White-out"
    Whoever coined the term liquid paper was a marketing genius :)
    vital5 wrote:
    Whoever coined the term liquid paper was a marketing genius :)

That would be me.

I also learned that pants are underwear in England... and you don't want to walk into Millets and ask for a can of stuff to re-waterproof your pants.... very funny :)
    One of my favorite terms..."nappies". I think that's fricken adorable! :)

i admit i am a sucker for a glaswegian accent. :)
    I really don't like Scottish accents that much.... My fave has to be liz hurley type accent :) *drools*

I'd respect anyone's authoriti that had an accent like that ;)
    That would be me.
    okay.. marry me.. you must be loaded ;) heh

Surely you didnt :)
  • Sonja_S wrote:
    :D That's funny - my sister and I went to Dublin last weekend. We went to get some dinner and when I couldn't see where the toilets were and decided to ask the waitress we were like 'crap, what are the washrooms called in Ireland again?'. BTW, I found the Irish men quite smooth - my sister was a bit freaked out though.

Apparently I speak English with a Canadian accent (and vocabulary). One friend of my ex in Calgary actually complained that he was looking forward to my Austrian accent and then I didn't have one. I don't know if that sicko thought Schwarzenegger-English was sexy :p
    Irish men smooth? :D:D hahahahaha... I just find this too funny! In fairness to them, they try to be... in a James Bond kinda way, but most of them don't have the Pierce Brosnan accent so it's not quite the same in a bogger accent :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • vital5 wrote:
    what is this accent you speak of?... and how did the guys even understand you? ;) irish accents... well i guess there might be some hot ones... :p
    :D I've no idea how they understood me... perhaps they didn't. Perhaps I mistook their 'what the fuck are ya saying?' for 'I love your accent, say more' :D ah well, tis all good!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    dunkman wrote:
    thats ok.. neither can I ;)

i was actually gonna do a youtube xmas message from dunk... and i was going to post a prize to the person who actually understood what i was saying...

of course i was a wee bit drunk when i thought of this idea :)

I'm guessing this may be a prize I might not want to win :o

Because of living in different places I have a couple of different accents depending who I'm talking to :o ... as you witnessed :D
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    vital5 wrote:
    and sticky tape.... ha.
    What do they say instead of sticky tape?

I love a soft French accent.

Not so much a rough German one. Feels like I'm copping abuse when it might actually be a compliment.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110