Options

Boston Bruins

Comments

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    My lady is sick, very sick she can't handle alcohol. Shhhh I'm missing the fricking game, I can't take it anymore. I've got watch some of this. :(

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    g under p wrote:
    My lady is sick, very sick she can't handle alcohol. Shhhh I'm missing the fricking game, I can't take it anymore. I've got watch some of this. :(

Peace

Wait ... she's sick because of booze? Oh man, perfect time to give her the ol' "You did this to yourself" speech ... WATCH THE 3RD PERIOD ... we need you my friend.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Wait ... she's sick because of booze? Oh man, perfect time to give her the ol' "You did this to yourself" speech ... WATCH THE 3RD PERIOD ... we need you my friend.

Well, she's finally asleep after i gave her some fresh ginger tea...she must rehydrate. She started at 10:30 this morning on an empty stomach and barely made it home, crashed naked in the bed. What was she thinking, tequilla shots in the morning come ooon!

Now to the game...let's go BRUINS

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    jmurrayjmurray Stratham, NH Posts: 3,538
    A Wideman turnover leading to the Bruins winning goal would somehow seem appropriate.
  • Options
    jmurray wrote:
    A Wideman turnover leading to the Bruins winning goal would somehow seem appropriate.

or not
  • Options
    CRAP! great year B's it's hard winning that Cup every game a one goal game Crap.

Peace

• Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    goalie interference ...wow
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    All the karma the B's had last year ... winning 3 game 7s ... the friggin cup ... oh well. Can't be all that pissed off.

The worst thing about this is, I now have to pay attention to the Red Sox ... ugh.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    All the karma the B's had last year ... winning 3 game 7s ... the friggin cup ... oh well. Can't be all that pissed off.

The worst thing about this is, I now have to pay attention to the Red Sox ... ugh.

Yeah I know...I just am not ready for that at ther moment. Needed more time to tackle the current fiasco. Last year was such a blessing out of nowhere so it's not as bad as the year before.

Peace

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,665
    Go Cs!

But oh how does that overtime sudden death thing hurt? Arrrrgggghhhhhhh!

Oh well, life goes on. And Pearl Jam hasn't broken up yet so we can hope for a US tour, right?

Peace.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    poor boston always getting picked on for being jerks http://chirpstory.com/li/6781 :nono:
  • Options
    RW81233 wrote:
    poor boston always getting picked on for being jerks http://chirpstory.com/li/6781 :nono:

Has anyone tried to contact Willie O'Ree for his thoughts?

oree61.jpg
  • Options
    for god's sakes the kids on twitter don't know who willie is, and probably not even reggie lewis at this point.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Now if I can get rid of the Flyers and the Rangers I can stop caring!

:lol:
  • Options
    RW81233 wrote:

Bait = taken.

Is this dispicable, hell yes ... but it's about what ... 30 comments of tens of thousands, if not more, fans?

Some of those people were clearly not even Bruins fans (quick example, the dude with the Red wings avatar?)

Just stop painting the entire fan base like this. Your selectivism is getting mighty old.

• Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

Bait = taken.

Is this dispicable, hell yes ... but it's about what ... 30 comments of tens of thousands, if not more, fans?

Some of those people were clearly not even Bruins fans (quick example, the dude with the Red wings avatar?)

Just stop painting the entire fan base like this. Your selectivism is getting mighty old.

J,

It was a nice run but they came up short and were beaten by a better team the Capitals this time around. It was fun and glorious to win a Stanley Cup after so many years for the first time since I last lived in Boston early 70's. Of the last 10 Boston championships the Bruins Cup win to me was by far the most surprising and exciting. :D They will be back!

Peace

• Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

Bait = taken.

Your defense of something that permeates the Boston fan base also gets old. Boston sports fans, in particular, and fans of many other teams, in general, reflect whiteness. This is just the 30 or so morons who thought that it was ok to state publicly. UMass-Amherst still has race riots occasionally (http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/ ... t_f_1.html) the shit isn't over, and it should be actively fought against - same as it should be in any fan base or populace. Minimizing the impact of what a few fuckfaces do is to be complicit with their behavior - they should be made an example of so that others know that it's not cool.
  • Options
    RW81233 wrote:

Bad enough they lose in OT but this shit is crazy. I did see Anson Carter speaking well of his time in Boston.
  • Options
    yeah i mean many ethnic minority players have a positive experience while playing for Boston, but that's often because they are playing for Boston. For example there's research out there that shows how much fans loved Pedro when he first came to the team, but many hated that Dominicans would come to Fenway and support him (http://www.getcited.org/pub/103336230). So if I understand correctly the fact that Boston fans aren't shitting in black players beds and cheer for Vince Wolfork and his ole miss relationship with mrs. kraft, but then riot at UMass or send racist tweets means that I should just shutup about this fanbase...sorry not buying it.
  • Options
    jmurray wrote:
    Bad enough they lose in OT but this shit is crazy. I did see Anson Carter speaking well of his time in Boston.

He has also played for the Capitals as well and played there very well. No doubt there's that racist element in places like South Boston where I was to attend high school during the forced busing era in the early mid 70's. We had to move and moved to Charleston, SC, a place I couldn't stand. The racism in South Boston is no joke. :(

Peace

• Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    RW81233 wrote:
    Your defense of something that permeates the Boston fan base also gets old. Boston sports fans, in particular, and fans of many other teams, in general, reflect whiteness. This is just the 30 or so morons who thought that it was ok to state publicly. UMass-Amherst still has race riots occasionally (http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/ ... t_f_1.html) the shit isn't over, and it should be actively fought against - same as it should be in any fan base or populace. Minimizing the impact of what a few fuckfaces do is to be complicit with their behavior - they should be made an example of so that others know that it's not cool.

1 incident 26 years ago = "race riots occasionally"??? really??

what i heard from a friend who went to zoomass was that a mouthy black guy in a mets shirt got attacked by some sox fans... race had nothing to do with it
  • Options

what i heard from a friend who went to zoomass was that a mouthy black guy in a mets shirt got attacked by some sox fans... race had nothing to do with it

Like i said in this thread...viewtopic.php?f=14&t=188200

There's no doubt there's racist in the city of Boston as far as hockey fans but is it any different than in other hockey towns?

Peace

• Options
    gup I have said several times that other teams fans do this shit, but denying that it is not a problem is a bad too. i mean what made bruin (and other) fans think this was ok to tweet about publicly? boston is better than this.
  • Options
    RW81233 wrote:

are you insinuating that an overzealous fan deserved to get beat with inanimate objects by more than 10 people? is the take away message here that the last thing white people want is a black man with an opinion? and you seriously want me to start listing new england's racial transgressions over the last 25 years? again are there idiots everywhere? yes. but there is something peculiar about a place where when their team gets defeated by a black hero fans feel empowered and privileged enough to do stupid shit. further, while there are idiots in every city there aren't twitter feeds, or a laundry list of examples of this stuff like there is with boston. you dismissing it as a "few jerks" serves to perpetuate that behavior. why don't you get pissed and actively work against this stupidity thereby disempowering racist assholes - unless you kind of like it.
  • Options
    RW81233 wrote:
    gup I have said several times that other teams fans do this shit, but denying that it is not a problem is a bad too. i mean what made bruin (and other) fans think this was ok to tweet about publicly? boston is better than this.

I'm on my phone....I ask you where have you seen me deny any racist element OR down play that fact from the Boston city fans. I myself have experienced it on the ice and off so please give it a rest. I do not condone this in any way especially when I've been through that kind of hate.

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

I'm on my phone....I ask you where have you seen me deny any racist element OR down play that fact from the Boston city fans. I myself have experienced it on the ice and off so please give it a rest. I do not condone this in any way especially when I've been through that kind of hate.

Peace
    but you get upset when i bring it up, and claim that i am targeting boston for being racist. if you check my posts in other threads you will see that I talk about race in a variety of places - jeags even calls me al sharpton and has a photo at the ready when it comes up. i mean i even started the trayvon martin thread in AMT 3 or 4 days before it was an (inter)national story for god sakes. that's an interesting thread to watch actually because initially everyone was sad for the kid, then, as the crazy righties started get up in arms about it being about race all the conservatives/tea partiers/libertarians took up the cause for zimmerman.

either way do i pay particular attention to boston? yes. i wrote my dissertation on it so of course it's going to be an important focus for me. secondly, and following something you suggested i do, i want to make it (un)comfortable/impossible for someone to think it's ok to do that stuff in boston and elsewhere. this is the case because i don't ever want to take my son to a game at fenway or in boston (where two of his grandparents, three great-grandparents, aunt, uncle, and other family and friends live) and have him hear some fan call Nyjer Morgan, Ni**er Morgan, ever again. As such, when this shit comes up I'm going to post it, and, if I ever do hear it again, I will speak up.
  • Options
    http://www.edgeofsports.com/2012-04-26-724/index.html
    Tim Thomas has turned New Boston into Old Boston”– Howard Bryant, author Shut Out: A Story of Race and Baseball in Boston,

As rapid-fire as twitter itself, what started as a moment of a sports euphoria turned decidedly ugly. There were the Washington Capitals beating the Boston Bruins 2-1 in Game 7 and moving on toward the National Hockey League's greatest prize, the Stanley Cup. Before my disbelieving eyes, the Caps Joel Ward scored the winning overtime goal against last year’s Stanley Cup hero, Tim Thomas. But Ward is a Black man, and before you could say “post-racial", self-identifying Bruin fans tweeted a cascade of ugly invective, with the “N-word” being their epithet of choice.

For a small group of sad fools, the symbolism of the moment - Ward beats Thomas! - overtook them in the worst possible ways.

Tim Thomas is the player who created a spors media firestorm by refusing to join his team and meet with President Obama after the Bruins won the 2012 Stanley Cup. To be clear, I have zero problems with athletes refusing to be part of Presidential photo ops, but his political reasons are not irrelevant to what caused last night’s spasm of hate. Thomas is a proud, financial supporter of the Tea Party. He counts Glen Beck as a hero and once emblazoned theDon’t Tread on Me flag on his helmet. When asked by reporters why he wouldn't meet with Obama, Thomas didn’t comment and instead referred people to his Facebook page, which had a paragraph about “out of control Federal government.”

To see no connection between the Tea Party, Glen Beck, and the politics of racial resentment, is to subscribe to either blind ignorance or political cowardice. [Even Beck, last December,inferred that racism in the Tea Party drives anti-Obama animus.]

Howard Bryant, senior ESPN writer commented to me this morning, "The goal itself wasn't particularly important. [Barbadian-Canadian] Anson Carter was a Boston playoff hero during the 1999 playoffs. The significance of Ward's goal is that the man he beat, Tim Thomas, has through his thinly veiled racism undermined what should be a glorious revival of hockey in Boston. In turn, he encouraged the revival of an attitude that people wanted to think was out of fashion. I don't care if it was a lunatic fringe or a larger portion of the Bruins' fan base, but Thomas by himself turned new Boston into old Boston, and the embarrassing fan response to Ward's goal proved it."

Old Boston is also part of this story, as much as many from New England don’t want to hear it. No city in the United States has a more tortured intersection of race and sports than our supposed cradle of liberalism and democracy. It’s the city whose Boston Red Sox were the last team to integrate, waiting until 1959 twelve years after Jackie Robinson broke through with the Brooklyn Dodgers. It’s the city that for decades rejected the greatest team basketball player in history, Bill Russell, because of his proud, unblinking opposition to racial intolerance. After dealing with years of everything from verbal abuse to the vandalizing of his home, Russell called the city “a flea market of racism.” Boston then embraced Larry Bird, to such a passionate degree his very jersey became a symbol of white arrogance, exemplified in Spike Lee’s Do the Right Thing. It’s also paradoxically, (and fitting in a city this paradoxical) the first hockey town to integrate, when Willie O’Ree took the ice for the Bruins in 1958 (he would be the NHL’s last Black player for 16 years). Now, when Joel Ward plays the hero, the reflex is the “N” bomb. As Faulkner said, “The past is not dead. It isn’t even past.”

Of course racism is not a “Boston thing”. Of course, the sewers of the Internet overflow with bile if you have the stomach to look. Of course, we’ve just collectively witnessed the character assassination of the slain Trayvon Martin, with no regard for either his humanity or his grieving parents, so we should probably refrain from being too shocked. As sports writer Bomani Jones tweeted when people pointed out the anti-Ward hate, “Folks called a n-word repeatedly behind a dead teenager. of course someone would say it over a game 7.” None of that however should blind us from the basic truth. Today should be a day when we celebrate the unbelievable upset by a Caps team over the defending Stanley Cup Champs. But racism is a reality in sports and in life. We can choose to ignore it, but the only thing willful blindness guarantees is that it will continue. All Bruins fans of conscience should take to Facebook and twitter and say “Not in my name.” The organization should release a statement as well.

After the game, both Thomas and the Bruins stayed on the ice, waited for the Caps celebrations to die down, and congratulated their opponents. When speaking to the media, neither Thomas nor his teammates exhibited anything but class. There were no excuses, no resentments. America has a ways to go to catch up.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    RW81233 wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    gup I have said several times that other teams fans do this shit, but denying that it is not a problem is a bad too. i mean what made bruin
    (and other) fans think this was ok to tweet about publicly?
    boston is better than this.

Peace
    but you get upset when i bring it up, and claim that i am targeting boston for being racist. if you check my posts in other threads you will see that I talk about race in a variety of places - jeags even calls me al sharpton and has a photo at the ready when it comes up. i mean i even started the trayvon martin thread in AMT 3 or 4 days before it was an (inter)national story for god sakes. that's an interesting thread to watch actually because initially everyone was sad for the kid, then, as the crazy righties started get up in arms about it being about race all the conservatives/tea partiers/libertarians took up the cause for zimmerman.

either way do i pay particular attention to boston? yes. i wrote my dissertation on it so of course it's going to be an important focus for me. secondly, and following something you suggested i do, i want to make it (un)comfortable/impossible for someone to think it's ok to do that stuff in boston and elsewhere. this is the case because i don't ever want to take my son to a game at fenway or in boston (where two of his grandparents, three great-grandparents, aunt, uncle, and other family and friends live) and have him hear some fan call Nyjer Morgan, Ni**er Morgan, ever again. As such, when this shit comes up I'm going to post it, and, if I ever do hear it again, I will speak up.

I'm still on my phone....what, are you sure you are NOT mixing me up with someone else? Get upset about what if so please show me cause I don't know what you are talking about. I've lived in Laurel, New Carrollton MD and faced the similar racist remarks just for my speech without slang or for a hidden accent. It became worse when it came up I have a background in Judism...racists and racism is everywhere that's my point. It most certainly is in the city of Boston and if it will make you happy more than any other city in the USA. Please have a great day.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on

• Options
    Butchered my last post this phone thing is tough. I replied in between in my above post.

Peace

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I have been going to a lot of Niagara Icedogs games lately. Dougie Hamilton is the real deal (thanks a lot Brian Burke).

The guy does everything well and you can see him hitting his stride more and more and standing out every game. Even on the small ice surface at Jack Gatecliff Arena. He won the OHL's most outstanding defenseman (just announced).

It gives me diarreah thinking about the Sabres facing him for the next 15 years or so.

scored in double OT last night in Game 1 of the OHL Finals against London. Topped it off with a great celebration.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/vide ... e32de229fc