Options

Edmonton Oilers

Comments

• Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    No? My understanding was that the winners of the Flames/Ducks and Oilers/Wings series were going to hook up next.
    And let's face it, the Ducks aren't going to get it done. If this was a purple pants contest, I'd give it to them. Fortunately, this is hockey.
    :P

Well that would be incorrect. Second round matchups are decided the same way as 1st round matchups. Should Detroit(1) knock out Edmonton(8), Detroit would take on the next lowest seat. In this case that would be Colorado(7). Detroit(1) and Calgary(3) could not possibly play each other until the conference finals because of their regualr season rankings. The highest seat Detroit could play in the second round would be Nashville(4), but that is only possible if there are no first round upsets. A battle of Alberta for next round is highly likely if both teams advance since Dallas(2) is likely to be eliminated (only 2 teams in NHL history have come back from 3-0), so Calgarys (3), should they advance would be the highest seat left and play the lowest seat Edmonton(8).
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    doogdoog Posts: 59
    Random observations from the series so far........

1. IMO, Bettman is to blame for these games being so brutal to watch. A guy on local radio here in detroit just said that the longest time of play between penalties was something like 5:30... gimme a frickin break!

I'm a wings fan and i think the calls/no calls were horrible for and against BOTH teams last night (and to a lesser extent, game 3).

The radio guy also said that Bettman made some comment last week about the refs calling the games the way they were instructed to "if they want to continue working."

2. I don't think Mullet Smith would stand a chance against Chelios in a fight. Chelios is not afraid to fight dirty and he's a crochety old man. Besides, he's at an advantage cause smith has the mullet that Chelios can grab ahold of...

3. Oilers have proven to be a much tougher 1st rd opponent than alot of us here in Dtown gave them credit for before the series....I still think the series is far from over. I expect another nailbiter in game 5 at the Joe..

4. Cleary's gonna need to get his fillings tightened after getting blown up by Pronger. Holy crap did Pronger unload on him!!

5. I'm friggin exhausted after staying up past 1:00am (detroit time) for the 2nd time in 3 nights. These west coast weeknight games are killing us here in the D.

6. Rolly's gonna need a new jockstrap for next game after the move Hank put on him on the 4th goal!!
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    The Oil were robbed last night. I'm starting to think there's a conspiracy...all the bad video reviews, unfair referee's....wtf.

(begin sarcasm here) Yes, you've solved the mystery! There is a secret conspiracy of people who don't want the Oilers to win any games. The NHL brass, refs, video goal judges, and everyone else in the entire world are in on it. Thank god the pure hearts of Oiler fans everywhere continue to cheer on their team through all of these injustices.(end sarcasm here)

The ref's have been calling a lot in this series... on BOTH teams. Yes, a bad call by the video goal judges late in the year cost the Oilers a point, but it was inconsequential as it wouldn't have moved the Oilers up in the standings and they still made the playoffs. NHL Edmonton fans are the equivilant to CFL Roughrider fans, all they do is complain. Edmonton can play with anybody in the league and have nobody to blame for losses but themselves, the players know that.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    TowsertunesTowsertunes Posts: 187
    :rolleyes: when was the last time Chelios dropped 'em? He's just a typical agitator...won't do anything about the shit he talks, and won't back up the dirty play. He's a fossil. Smyth dropped the gloves with Chris Simon after Simon went after Hemsky the last time they played the Flames. Mind you, nothing happened, but he was willing to go a heavyweight for his teammate. Chelios wouldn't fight mini-me for his mom.(I have to mention that Georges absolutely fucking pummelled Simon later in the game - I was there...boy was that a beating).

The Oil were robbed last night. I'm starting to think there's a conspiracy...all the bad video reviews, unfair referee's....wtf.

I think Rollie kinda gave up on the winner....the crowd cheered so loudly when Lidstrom did that pick play that Rollie must've thought there was going to be a call. I know I did.

And Datsyuk is still shit (tho I did take him in my pool ;) ). One play doesn't change that. Zetterburg? Hot dog fairy....the next time he blows a kiss to the crowd after a goal, I hope someone goes Dale Hunter on his ass.

Cree - you're so right about Fernando! That guy is fuckin' clutch! Pisani Horcoff and Smyth are leading the way up front for sure. MacT shoudl park Hemsky's ass for a period or two. He's too soft on the puck, too fancy when trying to penetrate the O zone, won't shoot (except for limp-wrist shots that never get through) and takes that penalty late last night grrrrrrr. Samsonov isn't playing as well as he could either.

All the pressure is back on the wings for game five. hey ho let's go.

GO OIL!
    If you watch the replay of the so-called Lidstrom "pick".You will see that he didn't even touch the Oiler player.He hit his stick.If anything it should have been called a dive.The refs are calling things so tight that they would never let this go.Also, Lidstrom doesn't play that way.
    Datsyuk is shit but you take him in your pool.Yeah.Makes sense to me.
    And Zetterberg is not "blowing kisses to the crowd",he is removing his mouthguard.
    Edmonton is Dedmonton.
    "they don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read?"

How I choose to feel,...Is how I am.
  • Options
    The series is best out of 7, so whoever is the better team wins, period.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    I am doing my best to be respectful in this thread (all the trash-talkin' is intended to be playful). But just ONCE can you guys (meaning Oiler fans) not gripe about the refs? MacTavish does it every second game, we don't need it here too. There were all kinds of crap calls in the Flames game too, calls that hurt both teams. The refs are being pretty bloody anal across the board, and while its annoying, I don't think any one team is getting screwed. Maybe the game as a whole is suffering ... But sometimes you just have to conceive that your team got outplayed. I am still in denial about the Ducks. My brain cannot accept that they are in fact in the Flames league. I'd like to kick Getzlaf's cocky ass. But the series is notched at two games.
  • Options
    I am doing my best to be respectful in this thread (all the trash-talkin' is intended to be playful). But just ONCE can you guys (meaning Oiler fans) not gripe about the refs? MacTavish does it every second game, we don't need it here too. There were all kinds of crap calls in the Flames game too, calls that hurt both teams. The refs are being pretty bloody anal across the board, and while its annoying, I don't think any one team is getting screwed. Maybe the game as a whole is suffering ... But sometimes you just have to conceive that your team got outplayed. I am still in denial about the Ducks. My brain cannot accept that they are in fact in the Flames league. I'd like to kick Getzlaf's cocky ass. But the series is notched at two games.

Absolutely correct.The game as a whole will suffer.In the NHL's dilligent effort to rid the great game of hockey from the hooking,holding and all sorts of shit.They have gone overboard.Now granted,something had to be done,but hockey is a contact sport and when you give each player a weapon(stick) you are going to have moments when they use their sticks to take advantage of another player.A stick-check is an art form,not a slash.These guys are getting called for minor infractions.And the worst part is the inconsistency.Against both the Oilers and the Wings some calls were brutal.In the 80's,the "Great One" years,hockey was phenomenal.I blame this new crackdown on Bettman's expansion dream.Teams that came into the league because rich owners could pay the fee,had no choice but to play defensive trap,hook,hold,hockey to survive.And guess what else you had in the great hockey years.Fighting.
    Fighting kept the sneaky stick-work guys in check because they knew they would get killed.The skill players could play and be protected by the tougher players.Gretzky-Semenko or McClelland.The game policed itself in a primitive sort of way.But it worked.Let the players play.Some team in this "new NHL" is going to lose a series because of a shit,marginal call.I hope it isn't your team.

• Options
    prljamgirlprljamgirl Edmonton, AB Posts: 602
    Absolutely correct.The game as a whole will suffer.In the NHL's dilligent effort to rid the great game of hockey from the hooking,holding and all sorts of shit.They have gone overboard.Now granted,something had to be done,but hockey is a contact sport and when you give each player a weapon(stick) you are going to have moments when they use their sticks to take advantage of another player.A stick-check is an art form,not a slash.These guys are getting called for minor infractions.And the worst part is the inconsistency.Against both the Oilers and the Wings some calls were brutal.In the 80's,the "Great One" years,hockey was phenomenal.I blame this new crackdown on Bettman's expansion dream.Teams that came into the league because rich owners could pay the fee,had no choice but to play defensive trap,hook,hold,hockey to survive.And guess what else you had in the great hockey years.Fighting.
    Fighting kept the sneaky stick-work guys in check because they knew they would get killed.The skill players could play and be protected by the tougher players.Gretzky-Semenko or McClelland.The game policed itself in a primitive sort of way.But it worked.Let the players play.Some team in this "new NHL" is going to lose a series because of a shit,marginal call.I hope it isn't your team.

For once...I actually agree with you!! :D
  • Options
    prljamgirl wrote:
    For once...I actually agree with you!! :D

We would probably agree on a number of things.
    Just not this series.
    I will be at the game today.
    Should be a good one.
    I'll wave.
    GO WINGS!!!

• Options
    an early morning for our edmontonian friends! :) good luck to the oils in the afternoon game today!

hockey day in canada! playoff triple header! :D
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    Go Oil Go

I am keeping the faith, going to get coffee and then finish the work I have left on our Stanley Cup. I sewed an orange flag the other day and stenciled the oil insignia on it and now it's flying gloriously from my truck.

Here we Go OILERS HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!

why is it that Holmstrom is the only guy in the league that wears football pads to make him look bigger?
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    I have to start work the same time as the game starts here :( hopefully I can keep the game on but I know work is going to be busy toinight!!!

GO OILERS GO!!!!
  • Options
    Go Oil Go

I am keeping the faith, going to get coffee and then finish the work I have left on our Stanley Cup. I sewed an orange flag the other day and stenciled the oil insignia on it and now it's flying gloriously from my truck.

Here we Go OILERS HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!

why is it that Holmstrom is the only guy in the league that wears football pads to make him look bigger?

CFL. It's interesting that the CFL was brought up....but why didnt anyone mention that Edmonton is home to the Grey Cup Champions......buy maybe it would be seen as us complaining again?
    Dayum it really sucks that we're Gry Cup Champs but it's likely the refss fault.

The OFFCIATING WAS a shame and the only reason WINGS fans would disagree with that is b/c it's the direct reason Detroit won the last game (and agruebly the first game)... because of horrible officiating..

ps wwaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
    >>>>
    >

• Options
    EarthgirlEarthgirl Posts: 695
    Go Oilers Go !!!!
  • Options
    And Rolly played another great game!! The Oilers win it again 3-2 !!!! wooooo hooooo!!!!!!!!!! Nice block by Shawn Horcoff in the last few seconds.. took a puck in the chest when he dove to block it close range.. now that's stuff history is made of, way to go Shawn !!
  • Options
    Woooohooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Oilers!!!!
    Couldn't watch the game today...had to work, but I got to listen to it on the radio. My dad said it was an awesome game!! Can't wait until Monday!!!! I'll be there and Rexall is gonna be NUTS!!!!!!!!!!
    Go Oilers Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
  • Options
    We would probably agree on a number of things.
    Just not this series.
    I will be at the game today.
    Should be a good one.
    I'll wave.
    GO WINGS!!!

Yes, we need to just agree to disagree on this series! I'm a pretty easy girl to get along with otherwise!! ;)
    I'll be at the game on Monday and I'll wave!!!

Go Oilers!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    SSHawweet HHuuGGIIddyyy BBOO
    >>>>
    >

• Options
    what cree nations said...:)
  • Options
    Holy crapoly.
    The Wings played awful.Out-worked on their own ice.
    Could not get anything going.
    Wow,have to play better on Monday or we are gone.
    Yikes.

Go Wings!!!

• Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    If you started a Flames thread, would anyone care? You just proved that Flames fans are griping too....but you happen to be doing it in an OILER thread...so don't be tellin us what we don't need here ;)

you said it my friend.
    GO OIL!

If I started a Flames thread, the three Oiler fans who still care about this one would post there.
    :)
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,117
    Message to Oilers fans......

Enjoy the moment. This is as close as you will get to the Stanley Cup in 2006.

The Wings will win the next 2.

Peace!
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Go Oil Go!!!
    We are gonna kick some ass tonight.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    Now you've demonstrated that the AET is a perfect microcosm of hockey fans.....if we use your low-ball number of three Oil fans....and we accept that you are the only Flamer here...the ratio is 3 Oiler fans to every 1 Flamer. That's ok....this thread will need a whipping boy for the next series :D

Can you believe tonight could set up a Battle of Alberta? The hockey gods are smiling! Please please please let us win tonight!

LET'S GO OILERS!!!!!
    you know what pisses me off tho.. who ever planned the schedules screwed up royally... putting both the Oilers and FLames games on at the same time.. I just moved out side calgary last summer and cant' watch the game tonight because they both start at 8pm.. they would have made a lot more money if they planned it different.. then all fans could watch.. and if there is a battle of alberta..this province is going to go crazy. !!!!! the hockey gods are shining on us.
  • Options
    8:00 Edmonton time? Everyone here in Detroit has been saying the game is on at 8:00 Detroit time, (which would be 6:00 Edmonton time??) which was surprisingly early. sorry if this is confusing......
  • Options
    doog wrote:
    8:00 Edmonton time? Everyone here in Detroit has been saying the game is on at 8:00 Detroit time, (which would be 6:00 Edmonton time??) which was surprisingly early. sorry if this is confusing......
    what?? oh my god.. let me check the schedule again..
  • Options
    oh my god you are effing right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Earthgirl wrote:
    oh my god you are effing right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least when the wings choke their season away tonight, i won't have to stay up until 2:00am to see it!! Seriously though, I WILL be in tears if Stevie Y goes out like this!
  • Options
    doog wrote:
    At least when the wings choke their season away tonight, i won't have to stay up until 2:00am to see it!! Seriously though, I WILL be in tears if Stevie Y goes out like this!

especially with such a great season like they had.. but man.. if the Oil play the Flames.. this province is a rockin
  • Options
    Can you hear the drums Fernando?
    I remember long ago another starry night like this
    In the firelight Fernando
    You were humming to yourself and softly strumming your guitar
    I could hear the distant drums
    And sounds of bugle calls were coming from afar

They were closer now Fernando
    Every hour every minute seemed to last eternally
    I was so afraid Fernando
    We were young and full of life and none of us prepared to die