Options

The Sopranos-the greatest TV show ever?

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    hedonist said:
    I’m wrapping up Season 4. No way will I be finished by October 1st.
    Yeah I'm 2 into 6. So I think I have like 18 episodes to go. Will be tough.

To me, one of the reasons the later seasons were not as good as earlier ones is AJ. That kid sucked as an actor and the character stinks. Yet he's given a lot more screen time towards the end for some reason. I can't stand AJ.

I'm in Kevin Finnerty Land at the moment...

One of the worst characters in TV history.  I know teenagers are generally assholes but my god AJ is the worst.  Horrible actor and character.

The Finnerty episodes were tough to get through but they didn't go on as long as I thought they did.  Feels like they were half the season but was only a couple episodes.
    Yeah I thought that too the first time through. I think he comes out of it at the end of the next one (3). The Finnerty stuff isn't bothering much actually. I felt the acting in the hospital (especially Edie Falco and other than fucking AJ) has been stellar.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Agree with everyone about AJ.  Couldnt stand the character or that chunky spoiled looking kid who acted
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    AJ was more re entertaining when he was chubby.

I’m in the Feech section. Loved (yet again) Junior seeing Curb on TV and thinking Larry and Jeff were him and Bobby :lol:
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,288
    As bad as AJ was (the character and the actor), the scene in Season 6 when Tony has to save him in the pool blows me away every time. Watching the mood change from Tony’s panic when he sees what’s happened, to his anger at AJ, then to a dad cradling his crying son is heartbreaking.

Plus Tony follows this up with another great line: "He could just be a fucking idiot. Historically, that's been the case."
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    As bad as AJ was (the character and the actor), the scene in Season 6 when Tony has to save him in the pool blows me away every time. Watching the mood change from Tony’s panic when he sees what’s happened, to his anger at AJ, then to a dad cradling his crying son is heartbreaking.

Plus Tony follows this up with another great line: "He could just be a fucking idiot. Historically, that's been the case."
    Classic scene.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    AJ was more re entertaining when he was chubby.

I’m in the Feech section. Loved (yet again) Junior seeing Curb on TV and thinking Larry and Jeff were him and Bobby :lol:
    Poor Sal Vitro. He's just the gardener!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    It sucks they couldn't get a better actor to play AJ... the character was pretty crucial for Tony's arc. 
  • Options
    I also love how Janice was a constant, what with her woes, selfishness, and Epstein-Barr. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Yeah I kind of hated Janice. ...except the acting was great, so I grew to appreciate her character more.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Janice sucked, but this guy was a legend.

• Options
    Janice sucked, but this guy was a legend.

Have you heard the good news?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Oh lord, I forgot about him AND the shirt. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Oh lord, I forgot about him AND the shirt. 
    I need that shirt like I need oxygen. 
  • Options
    We loved the one when Chrisopher and Paulie are stranded in the snow and find a sachet of ketchup.   We also love the one when C received an intervention.  Fureo was a cool character and there's a few good episodes with him and Mrs S. 

I agree with the comments about Janice and Tony Junior. I love Lorraine Bracco and she seems like she has a really fun personality in interviews. 
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,078
    We loved the one when Chrisopher and Paulie are stranded in the snow and find a sachet of ketchup.   We also love the one when C received an intervention.  Fureo was a cool character and there's a few good episodes with him and Mrs S. 

I agree with the comments about Janice and Tony Junior. I love Lorraine Bracco and she seems like she has a really fun personality in interviews. 
    Pine Barrens is one of the best episodes if not the best because of the how stupid Paulie was in wrapping the package when he had to do was get the money off the entertainment center at Valery's apartment.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    “He was an interior decorator!”

And the scene with Furio and drunk Tony next to the helicopter…beautiful. 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    I found out today that Moltisanti means "many saints" and my mind was blown. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    JimmyV said:
    I found out today that Moltisanti means "many saints" and my mind was blown. 
    Of course it does....but damn if I ever thought of it.
    That is cool.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Yeah that’s outrageous 
  • Options
    Man, 6A was kind of tough to get through between Vito and AJ. I was hoping to gain some more appreciation for it but that was not the case. It was hilarious, though, when Tony had Fin come in to give his first hand account of Vito's homosexuality to the guys at Satriale's. Meadow threw him under the bus there...good move on his part getting out of that engagement. 

Couple episodes into 6B now. Show feels like it righted the ship when it started to head into the final stretch. 

I actually forgot that Chris had an affair with Julianna Margulies's character--the one Tony wanted to get with. Much like with Tony and Carmella, I find myself always rooting for Tony and Chris to get along and bury the hatchet of past grievances. Alas Mr Moltisanti's days are numbered...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Still not done with Season 5, dammit. 

I did finally try sour cream in eggs last night. Bravissimo!
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Two to go. Planning on watching them late this afternoon, leading into the movie tonight. 

Watch how it ends and then find out how it started. Can't wait. Happy Sopranos Day!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Think I will watch tomorrow evening.  Watched a few random season episodes, I'll just have to enjoy it for what it is and what I don't remember from the original series.  :lol:   
  • Options
    Oh crap. Had no clue it was out today.  I'll watch this weekend. Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    I’m just starting 6A.

Do I have the discipline to watch the last two seasons before watching the film?

Whaddaya think?

(that’s rhetorical)
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,167
    gonna watch it after Ohana tonight, If i can stay awake
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    gonna watch it after Ohana tonight, If i can stay awake
    How does one watch Ohana? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Good god these reviews 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Yeeeuuuup....was up till about midnight finishing the series and then watching the movie.

I enjoyed it and loved all the references to the show (they were rapid fire throughout) but....if this wasn't Sopranos related and just a regular mafia movie, I don't think I would have liked it much.

So glad I did the re-watch though. But sad it's over. lol
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,078
    I haven't seen it yet but the mixed reviews lead me to believe it's leading to a sequel that perhaps tells more of Tony's backstory. Personally, if they did more prequels, I'd love to see the backstories of people like Johnny Sack and Phil Leotardo.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."