The Sopranos-the greatest TV show ever?

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Well Chase actually signed a new production deal with HBO this week. I could see them trying a prequel series...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Chase is badass.

Gonna watch this weekend, though will complete my re-watch of the series too. 

None of this all-night business like Juggler, though :whistle:
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    CROJAM95 said:
    gonna watch it after Ohana tonight, If i can stay awake
    How does one watch Ohana? 
    I’m at Ohana… was gonna stream on hbo max after

started it, passed out in 15 min

gonna try tonight… Again 🤣
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Yeeeuuuup....was up till about midnight finishing the series and then watching the movie.

I enjoyed it and loved all the references to the show (they were rapid fire throughout) but....if this wasn't Sopranos related and just a regular mafia movie, I don't think I would have liked it much.

So glad I did the re-watch though. But sad it's over. lol
    Yeah this sums it up pretty well.  The actor who played Dickie was great.  Young Paulie and Pussy were good too but young Silvio was a little over the top.  Was so excited for it that I think it was always going to feel like a letdown.  Especially after just re-watching the whole series. Will have to give it another watch.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    I thought it wasn't bad - agree on most of these comments above.
    Laughed at a lot of stuff...
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Um, it had moments and I felt like there was a good 45 minute stretch but other than that it was a sopranos Saturday night live sketch. Silvio was hysterically bad. Junior dropping 2 “your sisters…” in 120 minutes after saying it once in 6 seasons or whatever…come on.

Would agree dickie was good. And I think Olivia was good, though I could be convinced she was terrible. The only call back I liked was “poor you”
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Wasn't Sylvio a caricature of himself even in the original?
    I laughed at his parts - would not say it was good acting, but it was amusing, to me.
    Also - I love the SNL mention, as I can totally see that....and Uncle Jun being that way was awesome.  Such a dildo, in any time period.
    Wasn't Sylvio a caricature of himself even in the original?
    I laughed at his parts - would not say it was good acting, but it was amusing, to me.
    This is true, this was just so much more overboard than even that.

Feel like if they stuck to the Dickie, Harold, Tony storyline more, rather than packing every sopranos character ever in it (why was Carmela needed?) then it would have been much better. Also, more Michael Imperoli narration 
    Also... WHY IN THE ABSOLUTE F DID THEY HAVE LIOTTA PLAY 2 CHARACTERS?!?!!?!  Seems like the laziest decision ever made.
    edited October 2021
    Ha.  I didn't think of that.  Thought that part was kinda trash anyway.  (The prison visits.)
    Ha.  I didn't think of that.  Thought that part was kinda trash anyway.  (The prison visits.)
    Definitely didn't add anything.  But like why the same guy? You couldn't find another Italian guy that kinda looks like Liotta?
    A big thing of eyeshadow on an old, white, dude and call it close enough.
    Yeah I was so confused by that at first. Like, when Dickie was smashing his head into wheel I was totally not expecting him to die. So that scene was just strange to me. And then Ray Liotta is there in the very next scene. lol. What the fuck is happening here!?

And then the "good deed" stuff....it all seemed so forced. They really missed the mark on a lot of things in this movie.

What the hell was up with the beep baseball thing too? Was that a dream he was having or did he actually coach baseball to deaf kids? That was random as fuck.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited October 2021
    Yeah I was so confused by that at first. Like, when Dickie was smashing his head into wheel I was totally not expecting him to die. So that scene was just strange to me. And then Ray Liotta is there in the very next scene. lol. What the fuck is happening here!?

And then the "good deed" stuff....it all seemed so forced. They really missed the mark on a lot of things in this movie.

What the hell was up with the beep baseball thing too? Was that a dream he was having or did he actually coach baseball to deaf kids? That was random as fuck.
    I thought all the jail scenes were some sort of dream. I forgot about the beeping baseball...wtf.

The more I think about this the more frustrated I get.  The bones were there for something awesome. The Newark riots, Dickie/Harold, Dickie/Tony, Johnny/Olivia/Janice/Tony, CHRISTOPHER FREAKING MOLTISANTI narrating it...then they muddy it up a million callbacks , most of which were incredibly corny (Holsten's...really?, every word out of Junior's mouth), and forced characters just to show they existed, all of which were incredibly overblown. 

Also...maybe note spoiler? I remember someone getting really mad at me when I said Pablo Escobar died in Narcos...lol
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    Wait, people watching Narcos didn't know Escobar died?

You guys are making me laugh....forgot about the stupid beeping baseball and laughed out loud at that part while my wife complained "This is a dream, right?  What the heck is this?!?"

Also, Junior was in the same camp as Sylvio.  I laughed at almost every scene with him in it.

As I think more about this, I think it was a brilliant watch.
    As a comedy....that connected back to one of the best shows ever.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Having not yet seen it, I suppose I’m glad I shouldn’t get my hopes up. 
    Wait, people watching Narcos didn't know Escobar died?

You guys are making me laugh....forgot about the stupid beeping baseball and laughed out loud at that part while my wife complained "This is a dream, right?  What the heck is this?!?"

Also, Junior was in the same camp as Sylvio.  I laughed at almost every scene with him in it.

As I think more about this, I think it was a brilliant watch.
    As a comedy....that connected back to one of the best shows ever.
    That's what I said, but yeah, I was like isn't this just general history, but I guess not.

An unintentional comedy?
    Hedo it is totally worth watching, for me at least.

Yeah, I can't believe people interested in Narcos would not know the history there.  Funny.
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    I saw it today and generally liked it. From what I saw in the movie, it seems that it's setting up for more prequel content that will flesh out more of the characters. Young Tony at age 11 looks like AJ in season one and two. There were various other callbacks to the series:

--the reference about the rain and pro teams, Tony says it to Christopher when he complains about having to call him from an outside pay phone in "College", that line is "You don't want to work in the rain, go play for the Yankees."

-Junior falling down on the stairs is somewhat similar to when he fell down the courthouse steps after his mistrial.

-Even in the brochure for the medicine Livia didn't want to take, the woman in it looked similar to Dr. Melfi.

Was this the greatest Sopranos content? No, but it's a basic explainer of how the characters were, especially the ones from Tony's childhood, who were only seen in flashbacks.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    edited October 2021
    Yeah the main thing I liked in the movie was all the Sopranos callbacks/references. I liked how Junior was portrayed. I forget his name, but he's a good actor and been in a lot of decent shows/films. Thought he got his mannerisms down good.

The plot was just so all over the place. That is what didn't do it for me. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    See I hated the callbacks and references. Like junior says “your sisters…” once in 80+ hours of the series and they force it into twice in 2 hours. Just unnecessary. Too gimmicky for me
    See I hated the callbacks and references. Like junior says “your sisters…” once in 80+ hours of the series and they force it into twice in 2 hours. Just unnecessary. Too gimmicky for me
    That's a fair point, the mannerisms and quirks of the personalities were good explainers for that stuff in the show. There's several directions future content can take such as the childhood of Christopher since he's barely seen in the movie.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    That's a fair point, the mannerisms and quirks of the personalities were good explainers for that stuff in the show. There's several directions future content can take such as the childhood of Christopher since he's barely seen in the movie.
    For sure. I’d love more Christopher content. He’s turned into my favorite non-Tony character. Just a tragic person. 

I hope they do more for sure
    I don't know. Twice with the sister's cunt was maybe too much. I thought it was funny though.

Silvio was over the top. I agree with that one. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    on an unrelated note, I found out the guy who played Johnny Boy Soprano is a seventh cousin of mine, so that's kind of cool.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    LOST is still the best show of all times
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    on an unrelated note, I found out the guy who played Johnny Boy Soprano is a seventh cousin of mine, so that's kind of cool.

That is pretty cool.  I dont even know how a 7th cousin would be connected....

He has some great roles to his credit, imo.
    Frank Castle / The Punisher &  Shane / TWD -- those two, especially, were awesome. 
    LOST is still the best show of all times
    Please leave.
    chinese-happy.jpg

That is pretty cool.  I dont even know how a 7th cousin would be connected....

He has some great roles to his credit, imo.
    Frank Castle / The Punisher &  Shane / TWD -- those two, especially, were awesome. 
    I was told my grandfather was a cousin of his grandfather as Jon Bernthal's mother was the sister of my dad's grandfather. 
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022