Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Born Standing Up--Steve Martin
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    starting for whom the bell tolls by hemingway. hopefully its not as dperessing as a farewell to arms.
  • Options
    ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    "Accounting Information System", "Intermediate Accounting: with FASB 2007 Updates", "Corporate Finance", and "Exploring International Business Environments"

I feel your pain.. "Principles of Biochemisty: Fourth Edition"
    rrivers wrote:

Very cool! After I finish "Better" I'm going to read
    "When the Air Hits Your Brain: Tales from Neurosurgery"
    which also seems very interesting. I recently finished "Another Day in the Frontal Lobe" which is a memoir by a female neurosurgeon. Do we see a pattern yet? haha

Ha! I read "Another Day in the Frontal Lobe" too. It was pretty good, not as good as Gawande though. I have the book, "How Doctors Think" in my to read pile as well. The other day on the Today show, they were talking about a book called, "Welcome to your Brain" which I put in my amazon wishlist. Looks pretty interesting.

What is it with all the books about brain surgery? There are NO books about heart surgery (trust me, I've looked). I think it speaks to the massive ego needed to be a brain surgeon...

But yes, those books look good too...I might have to look into them as well. I spend so much time reading text books and scientific articles that even when I'm reading for "fun" I have a hard time getting out of the groove where I feel like I should be learning something if I'm "wasting" my time reading it.. you know?
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Born Standing Up--Steve Martin

That's a good book. I keep meaning to send it to a friend of mine who does stand up.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    "Accounting Information System", "Intermediate Accounting: with FASB 2007 Updates", "Corporate Finance", and "Exploring International Business Environments"

I feel your pain.. "Principles of Biochemisty: Fourth Edition"
    rrivers wrote:

Very cool! After I finish "Better" I'm going to read
    "When the Air Hits Your Brain: Tales from Neurosurgery"
    which also seems very interesting. I recently finished "Another Day in the Frontal Lobe" which is a memoir by a female neurosurgeon. Do we see a pattern yet? haha

Ha! I read "Another Day in the Frontal Lobe" too. It was pretty good, not as good as Gawande though. I have the book, "How Doctors Think" in my to read pile as well. The other day on the Today show, they were talking about a book called, "Welcome to your Brain" which I put in my amazon wishlist. Looks pretty interesting.

What is it with all the books about brain surgery? There are NO books about heart surgery (trust me, I've looked). I think it speaks to the massive ego needed to be a brain surgeon...

But yes, those books look good too...I might have to look into them as well. I spend so much time reading text books and scientific articles that even when I'm reading for "fun" I have a hard time getting out of the groove where I feel like I should be learning something if I'm "wasting" my time reading it.. you know?

Books I'm reading right now:

1. The Shack- William Young
    2. Legacy of Ashes- The History of the CIA- Tim Weiner
    3. Storm Front- Jim Butcher
    4. Adventures in the Screen Trade- William Goldman
    5. Let the Right One In- John Ajvide Lindquist (this book is fantastic! Spooky as hell!)

I have a book called "Coronary", but I'm not sure what it's about. I know it is a true story so you might be interested in that:

http://www.amazon.com/Coronary-True-Sto ... 556&sr=1-1
  • Options
    I'm reading Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King! It's the 5th book of the Dark Tower series.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    Is Belief in God. Good, Bad or Irrelevant?

I like it so far....
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    rrivers wrote:

loved it.

right now i'm reading
    Boom! voices of the sixes by Tom Brokaw.
    great read.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    Just After Sunset by Stephen King
    Until I Find You by John Irving
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    The Doors of Perception - Alduos Huxley
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Killing Kind- John Connolly

I've got the rest of his Charlie Parker novels lined up too.
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

loved it.

right now i'm reading
    Boom! voices of the sixes by Tom Brokaw.
    great read.

I think it's ok. The writing is not that great. But the part I just got through did make me tear up a little.
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    I'm reading Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King! It's the 5th book of the Dark Tower series.
    wait...I thought there were only 4 books in the series?
  • Options
    Commy wrote:

No, there's acutally seven now. The last one came out in 2004 (I think?) The first four are the best, though the last three do have their moments.
  • Options
    I just finished reading "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson....Fucking fantastic!

This is a 3 book series called the millenium series which was published after the author died. The 2nd is supposed to come out soon in the US. It's been out for a while in Europe which is how I heard of it...maybe I should go to Europe and get me the rest of the series in french so I don't have to wait!!
    Cincinnati '03 Flooded venue!
    Bridge School '06 Night 1 & 2
    Venice '07 pummeled by the sleet! 
    Nijmegen '07
    Werchter '07
    April Fools ~ LA1
  • Options
    The White Road- John Connolly
  • Options
    milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    rrivers wrote:
    Commy wrote:

No, there's acutally seven now. The last one came out in 2004 (I think?) The first four are the best, though the last three do have their moments.

This is my favorite series of all time.
    Drawing of the Three and the Wastlands are my two favorites.

Right now I'm reading Under the Banner of Heaven by John Krakauer.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Options

I gave up on this series. Now I'm reading:

Name of the Wind- Patrick Rothfuss
  • Options
    NoKNoK Posts: 824
    "Gate of the Sun" by Elias Khoury
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    milarso wrote:

Right now I'm reading Under the Banner of Heaven by John Krakauer.

This is my all-time favorite book (and my all-time favorite author). I think I'm slightly obsessed with FLDS...let me know if you want to discuss or want additional book recommendations. LOL!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,081
    I'm about halfway through the following book: The Rivalry: Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, and the Golden Age of Basketball
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    Bill Graham Presents: My Life Inside Rock and Out
  • Options

I gave up on this series. Now I'm reading:

Name of the Wind- Patrick Rothfuss

I recently finished that. What do you think?
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    "big fish" has been a favorite movie of mine since it came out, but i've never read the book. so i just ordered it on amazon & i'll be starting it once it arrives. 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    i just finished up eat pray love - elizabeth glibert? i think is the author's name - over the weekend, a fantastic read!
    i'll be starting in about an hour, over lunch, eleven minutes - paulo coelho.

thus far, this seems a big year for books for me. :)
    lovin' it!
    8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,921
    In the past week I have re-read the LoTR for the bazillionth time. I never get tired of reading old favourites.

Then I just finished reading (in a 12-hour marathon) A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. It was an absolutely amazing read. I could not put it down (hence the all-night read). It was heartbreaking, inspiring and informative.

I am currently reading The New Jackals by Simon Reeve (with a new epilogue). Very interesting. I am about half way through.

Next, I really need to get started on my literature review for my dissertation :oops: I've been kinda putting that off :? :oops:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    In the past week I have re-read the LoTR for the bazillionth time. I never get tired of reading old favourites.

I am planning to reread that once I finish Tad Williams's Memory, Sorrow & Thorn series... which was very much inspired by LOTR.
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305

I am planning to reread that once I finish Tad Williams's Memory, Sorrow & Thorn series... which was very much inspired by LOTR.
    My husband laughs at how many times I've read LOTR (long since lost count) but I couldn't agree more. Every year or so I go back to it. It's like meeting up with an old friend. :)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."