Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    Dante's "The Divine Comedy".
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at somebody.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    Just called 'Pearl Jam'
  • Options
    "Dracula" by Bram Stoker.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    well its not really a book, but...
    ...Macbeth.

eew.
    shakespeare is not a friend of mine.
  • Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    The Running Man - Stepehn King
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    tish wrote:
    Slaughter House Five
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Enjoy! I just lent it to a friend of mine and got a text today saying that he loved it.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    samjam wrote:
    well its not really a book, but...
    ...Macbeth.

eew.
    shakespeare is not a friend of mine.

i hate shakespeare as well, but i kind of enjoyed macbeth. once you can get past the way that its written, its actually a good story. brutal, but good.
  • Options
    Marcia Brady.
    model role model
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    The Quickie by James Patterson. I'm not a fan of Patterson. The only other book of his I read was "Roses are Red". It is too fast paced for me. (The reason I don't like Dan Brown either). One of the things I love about reading is really getting to know characters and take the ride with them. His characters are so flat and the two page chapters are annoying. That said, it is an interesting story, just in the hands of a poor writer.

I'm still reading "The Name of the Wind". Catch-22, if you're out there you should check it out. It's good. I'm about 300 pages in and am enjoying it.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    i hate shakespeare as well, but i kind of enjoyed macbeth. once you can get past the way that its written, its actually a good story. brutal, but good.
    The way Shakespeare's plays are written is the reason they are masterpieces. He wasn't a master dramatist but he was a hell of a poet.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    I've just started Darkly Dreaming Dexter. I've seen season 1 & 2 and come across the book yesterday. I just finished Chart Idol by Ben Elton. Disturbingly brilliant.
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    The Silmarillion ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

epic.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    i need some mindless reading, Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisberger is quite fine
    wah
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    read Milan Kundera's Ignorance today and it was amazing. it ended leaving me with that poignancy of profound meaning that's charming rather than depressing, or maybe both :)
  • Options
    kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    "The Almost Moon" by Alice Sebold. She also wrote "The Lovely Bones".
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • Options
    I've just started 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman... again :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    kcherub wrote:
    "The Almost Moon" by Alice Sebold. She also wrote "The Lovely Bones".

The Lovely Bones <- that's a GREAT book!!!
    There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

We do not inherit the earth from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    the sword of truth, book 8, by Terry Goodkind.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    I'm reading a book in French called 'Attrape Coeurs'...which means the 'Catcher in the Rye' in English
  • Options
    I'm reading a book in French called 'Attrape Coeurs'...which means the 'Catcher in the Rye' in English
    what does "Rye" mean ?

litteraly, "attrape coeurs" means "hearts catcher"
  • Options
    Julien wrote:
    what does "Rye" mean ?

litteraly, "attrape coeurs" means "hearts catcher"

Yeah, I know...I don't know what Rye actually means. I didn't realise that it was the same book until I started reading it. I have the same book in English, which I didn't finish but I recognised the begining of it and on one or two occasions I have referred back to the English edition to check translation.
  • Options
    Yeah, I know...I don't know what Rye actually means. I didn't realise that it was the same book until I started reading it. I have the same book in English, which I didn't finish but I recognised the begining of it and on one or two occasions I have referred back to the English edition to check translation.
    ok, thanks.
  • Options
    Catcher In The Rye: how overrated is that book? I totally missed how it was supposed to relate to my life and didn't get the whole "universality of experience" rigamarole that spoken in favour of its classic status. The little snot wasn't a part of any plot either, so when it was over I felt like someone had pulled a fast one on me. "That's it, that's all this bollocks has led up to?"

yeah, and L'Estranger, another lauded novel, was a pretty tedious read.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    elmer wrote:
    Catcher In The Rye: how overrated is that book? I totally missed how it was supposed to relate to my life and didn't get the whole "universality of experience" rigamarole that spoken in favour of its classic status. The little snot wasn't a part of any plot either, so when it was over I felt like someone had pulled a fast one on me. "That's it, that's all this bollocks has led up to?"

I was watching that movie "Chapter 27" about Mark David Chapman, the guy who shot John Lennon. As many of you probably know, he had that book with him when he shot him. Another reason not to like it! By the way, the movie is horrible!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    angie76angie76 Posts: 646
    The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. So far it's really good. It was a gift I don't think i would have thought of buying it.
    Dig a ditch deep enough
    To keep you clear of the sun
    You've been burned more than once
    You don't think much of trust
  • Options
    elmer wrote:

The Catcher in the Rye is bollocks, no doubt.

L’Étranger is great.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    L’Étranger is great.
    I shouldn't of mentioned this in the same block as COTR.

But why d'you think it's great, as a story? didn't he just use this novel to convey his ideas through a protagonist that's dull and emotionless? that's as far as my remembrance goes on this........I've got The Plague lurking about somewhere which I'm meaning to read. I prefer Houellebecq for entertainment and black wit, without knowing really what he's getting at.
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    I shouldn't of mentioned this in the same block as COTR.

But why d'you think it's great, as a story? didn't he just use this novel to convey his ideas through a protagonist that's dull and emotionless? that's as far as my remembrance goes on this........I've got The Plague lurking about somewhere which I'm meaning to read. I prefer Houellebecq for entertainment and black wit, without knowing really what he's getting at.
    It's not great as a story particularly, it's a wonderfully succinct way of presenting his philosophy via a novel though. Naturally Meursault is a dull and emotionless character, he is an indifferent object in an absurd and indifferent world.

I dunno, I guess I just related more to him than Caulfield :p
  • Options
    "Toll the Hounds"