Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    rrivers wrote:
    No I bought the one without the DVD. I don't care about collecting, I just want to read the stories.

i want to read the stories too, but with king novels (and short story collections), i want them all in hardcover and in perfect condition. i normally won't read hardcover books, i usually wait for the paperback to come out. but if i pick up another collectors edition, i'll be able to crack one of them open. i'm really curious about the dvd and was just wondering if you got one and watched it.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,692
    i want to read the stories too, but with king novels (and short story collections), i want them all in hardcover and in perfect condition. i normally won't read hardcover books, i usually wait for the paperback to come out. but if i pick up another collectors edition, i'll be able to crack one of them open. i'm really curious about the dvd and was just wondering if you got one and watched it.

I think you can watch N. on itunes. I was going to do that after I read the story so it wouldn't be ruined.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Just finished "Better" by Atul Gawande and "Too Fat to Fish" by artie Lange.

Now reading "Why New Orleans Matters" by Tom Piazza, "Monsters of Templeton" by Lauren Groff, and " Just Past Sunset" by Stephen King.

How is the "Just Past Sunset"?
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I think you can watch N. on itunes. I was going to do that after I read the story so it wouldn't be ruined.

thanks for the heads up on that.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    Good Omens - Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

I forgot how good this book is :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i just finished Sam Bourne's - The Final Reckoning which i enjoyed.

i'm now on to The Adventures of Huck Finn... got it for £1 a while back and always wanted to read it :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    rams71rams71 Posts: 10
    Live and Let Die by Ian Fleming. I'm trying to work my way through them again cos i've not read them for ages
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    How is the Rushdie? I've only read The Satanic Verses and thought it was terrific. Should read Midnight's Children one day.

Unbelievably, I've never read Rushdie before (always on my vast 'to read' list) but I certainly will now. This new one is wonderful - it's beautifully written and has a similar magical/surreal feeling to 100 Years of Solitude. I'm not very far in (p. 60 or so) but I'm loving it so far.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    I'm about 1/4 of the way through "Under the Banner of Heaven".

So far it's incredible!

That book is incredible. Amazing what people believe.
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    Boys Will Be Boys: The Glory Days and Party Nights of the Dallas Cowboys Dynasty

I hate the Dallas Cowboys but this book is just fascinating. There are so many guys I'll never be able to look at the same way again when watching highlights of football in the 90's. The chapter on Charles Haley is insane.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    I'm reading "Relic" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I was a fan of the movie as I'm a horror man, and the book is definitely stepping it up.
  • Options
    has anyone said they're reading "Deep?" Well, it's more a magazine, so I guess not.
    model role model
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,526
    i heard the sequel to Kite Runner is called Cunt Rider.
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    mca47 wrote:
    I'm about 1/4 of the way through "Under the Banner of Heaven".

So far it's incredible!

I've said it about 29457 times in this thread...but that is my all-time favorite book. I have several recommendations on memoirs from former FLDS members if you're interested.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I've been thinking about re-reading Under the Banner of Heaven. I loved it when I read it and I'm so angry about Prop 8 and how much money the Mormon church put into it - you know, I AM gonna re-read it. And I'd love to read more books about the church.

(Right now I'm re-reading the Henning Mankell Kurt Wallander detective series, about a detective in Sweden. Great book series.)
  • Options
    Enkidu wrote:
    I've been thinking about re-reading Under the Banner of Heaven. I loved it when I read it and I'm so angry about Prop 8 and how much money the Mormon church put into it - you know, I AM gonna re-read it. And I'd love to read more books about the church.

You and me both. So much for seperation of church and state, huh?

• Options
    You and me both. So much for seperation of church and state, huh?

Banner is Krakauer right? Will you get the Tillman book if it comes out?
  • Options
    Banner is Krakauer right? Will you get the Tillman book if it comes out?
    Yup, it is indeed Krakauer! (I am so in love with him as a writer!)

I was *DEFINITELY* get the Tillman book IF it ever comes out. From what I understand, it was set to release in October, but Krakauer didn't like the way the publisher was handling it so he held back the book and apparently it's in limbo for the time being. The earliest we'll be seeing it is 2009.

• Options
    Yup, it is indeed Krakauer! (I am so in love with him as a writer!)

I was *DEFINITELY* get the Tillman book IF it ever comes out. From what I understand, it was set to release in October, but Krakauer didn't like the way the publisher was handling it so he held back the book and apparently it's in limbo for the time being. The earliest we'll be seeing it is 2009.

I'd like to see him write a story on Heath Ledger, the same way he researched McCandless and no doubt Tillman. That'd be a good story.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,692
    How is the "Just Past Sunset"?

It's ok so far. It's short stories and so far I've read "Willa", "Harvey's Dream", and "Rest Stop". I skipped "Gingerbread Girl" because I read it when it was in Esquire and didn't like it that much. Of the ones I've read, "Willa" was the best. I'm going to read "Stationary Bike" next, which I already read in another collection but it's good so I'll read it again. "The Things they Left Behind" is another one I've read in there that I'll read again. So overall, I'd give it a B so far.

I have "Under the Banner of Heaven", but every time I go to pick out a book I don't feel in the mood to read it. Maybe one day. I did like "Into the Wild".
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    I'd like to see him write a story on Heath Ledger, the same way he researched McCandless and no doubt Tillman. That'd be a good story.

That's true. But, to be honest, I don't think Ledger is "extreme" enough for Krakauer. As he wrote in UtBoH, he is intruiged by anything extreme (i.e. mountain/rock climbing, religion, abandoning all useless possessions and living off the land, etc).

In my opinion, though, Krakauer could write about his shoelaces and I'd probably find it fascinating.

• Options
    I just finished reading Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. Holy shit, what a book.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    'Hokkaido Highway Blues - Hitchhiking Japan' by Will Ferguson. A very funny book, and a very good writer.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Down Thunder Road
    THE MAKING OF BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

by Marc Elliot & *Mike Appel

* Springsteens former Producer / Manager
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Jorge Luis Borges - Ficciones
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    The Art of Intrusion: The Real Stories Behind the Exploits of Hackers, Intruders & Deceivers - Kevin Mitnick
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    Lies of Locke Lamorra- Scott Lynch

It's a blast... Oceans 11 meets the renaissance!
    she was underwhelmed, if that's a word
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Maud Ellman's The Politics of Impersonality: T.S Eliot & Ezra Pound
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    LindaLinda Posts: 1,656
    (re) reading Christiane F.

wir kinder vom Bahnhoff Zoo....
    i'm not happy yet.....