Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SalukiPJ_Saluki Posts: 1,006
    "Plan of Attack" by Bob Woodward.

I'm going to read all four books in the series.
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    The Gospel of Ruth - Carolyn Custis James
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    It's not great as a story particularly, it's a wonderfully succinct way of presenting his philosophy via a novel though. Naturally Meursault is a dull and emotionless character, he is an indifferent object in an absurd and indifferent world.

I dunno, I guess I just related more to him than Caulfield :p

i disagree. i am a big fan of l'estanger. i can relate to meursault. i found it interesting that the man was condemned more for his behaviour in regards to him mourning his mother than the crime he committed. tis as if we must conduct ourselves in the manner that society has deemed 'normal' and therefore appropriate and acceptable and not how we choose as individuals. for me it is more an indictment on society than on the individual.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    i disagree. i am a big fan of l'estanger. i can relate to meursault. i found it interesting that the man was condemned more for his behaviour in regards to him mourning his mother than the crime he committed. tis as if we must conduct ourselves in the manner that society has deemed 'normal' and therefore appropriate and acceptable and not how we choose as individuals. for me it is more an indictment on society than on the individual.
    How is that disagreeing with me? :p
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    How is that disagreeing with me? :p

as if i care. ;):p

but seriously....
    i was disagreeing with your summation of it not being that great a story. per se.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    as if i care. ;):p

but seriously....
    i was disagreeing with your summation of it not being that great a story. per se.
    I just mean that the plot and narrative is not exactly Dostoevsky but it's not supposed to be. It's a vehicle for Camus' philosophy rather than an end in itself.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Woolworths Xmas Gift Guide.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    Woolworths Xmas Gift Guide.

Mad libs for me.
    model role model
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I just mean that the plot and narrative is not exactly Dostoevsky but it's not supposed to be. It's a vehicle for Camus' philosophy rather than an end in itself.

then why the fuck were you going on about it not being that great a story when by your own admission its not suppose to be dostoyevsky?

if its a vehicle for camus' philosophy, isnt that an end in itself?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    then why the fuck were you going on about it not being that great a story when by your own admission its not suppose to be dostoyevsky?

if its a vehicle for camus' philosophy, isnt that an end in itself?
    Because elmer said that he found it tedious and dull and not entertaining, hence my comment that, though I could see where he was coming from, I liked it based on its ideas, even if Camus' style isn't exactly my favourite.

Calm yourself down.
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    I recently read thee sweetest book EVER! Its called "AMAZING GRACIE" and its by the guys who started Three Dog Bakery. It is BEAUTIFUL and I was so hooked that i read it in 2 evenings! I recommend it for everybody that loves doggies!!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    smokeabudsmokeabud Posts: 253
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I am mid way through a Michael Crichton book called "Airframe." Its pretty good. It's about an quality assurance investigation over an airplane after a suspicious mid air flight incident which killed a few people, and injured a bunch more. Meanwhile, this airplane company is trying to seal a deal with China for some airplanes. It's getting pretty suspenseful.

Anyhow, I want to finish it so I can start reading my next book; "Scar Tissue" by Anthony Kiedis.

What book are you reading?

Hey all, i am currently readding a very good book, its titled:

"The March of Folly"

by Barbra W Tuchman. its about Mankind,Politics & its Failures. historical. very good read. lots of big words LOL .
    Vote for PJ to play in Alaska

11/91 chicago
    7/11/95 chicago
    6/29/98 chicago
    5/30/00 london UK
    6/4/00 manchester UK
    10/8/00 alpine valley
    10/9/00 chicago
    6/18/03 chicago

PLAY ALASKA U PUSSIES
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    "Genesis: Chapter and Verse"....it's a history of the band.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Colonialism/Postcolonialism - Ania Loomba
    Decolonisation and Criticism - Gerry Smyth
    Behan: The Complete Plays - Brendan Behan
  • Options

sounds enthralling. I'm waiting for Artie Lange's autobio, on sale next Tuesday!!!
    model role model
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    sounds enthralling. I'm waiting for Artie Lange's autobio, on sale next Tuesday!!!

Ha! I used to be a huge Artie fan. He was actually the reason I started listening to Stern, but he has really turned me off over the last few years. I would like to read his book because I'm sure they will talk about it a lot on the show, but I don't want to put money in his pocket.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Held Captive...a book about the abduction and rescue of Elizabeth Smart.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    I've never read any Behan, although I think one of his plays is on my reading list next term. Is he any good? I know some of his brother's folk songs. Good old irish rebel music :)
  • Options
    just finished duma key this afternoon. very well written. will probably move onto the talisman next.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I've never read any Behan, although I think one of his plays is on my reading list next term. Is he any good? I know some of his brother's folk songs. Good old irish rebel music :)

We did The Hostage in college. Pretty entertaining stuff, though we went more for whimsy than political commentary. Plus, we built the bar for the show and then installed it in my friend's apartment after the run. :)
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    I've seen this thread a thousand times, but this morning I thought it said "What Book Are You Eating..."
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I am finally getting around to really plunging into No Country For Old Men.
    Cormac is such an amazing talent. It makes me ill to think about it sometimes.
    I am going to plow thru his entire catalog now. Amazing.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Ha! I used to be a huge Artie fan. He was actually the reason I started listening to Stern, but he has really turned me off over the last few years. I would like to read his book because I'm sure they will talk about it a lot on the show, but I don't want to put money in his pocket.

I just ordered a book written by relatives of Heath Ledger. I was hoping that a Jon Krakauer or someone of his ilk would do the story right and I can't wait for Krakauer's take on Pat Tillman. I didn't want to read any fluff stories on the guy, but felt that there's an interesting story there. But when I saw on Amazon that some relatives wrote the story with an Australian author, I figured they'd at least have an inside perspective to his story.
    model role model
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    Just finished "20th Century Ghosts" by Joe Hill. Some really great stories in there. You should check it out if you like short stories.

Now, I'm reading "Why New Orleans Matters".
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Held Captive...a book about the abduction and rescue of Elizabeth Smart.

That whole mess was treated like 9/11 in Utah...

glad she's safe, regardless of my opinion.

Anyways,
    I just finished 'Ishmael' by Daniel Quinn today...LOVED it, to me it was a beautiful book
    and I'm contemplating whether to read my girlfriends copy of 'Great Expectations' next or 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'.

The picture sounds more interesting, seeing that i've seen the film adaption of Dickens "masterpiece"
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    dcfaithful wrote:
    That whole mess was treated like 9/11 in Utah...

glad she's safe, regardless of my opinion.

Anyways,
    I just finished 'Ishmael' by Daniel Quinn today...LOVED it, to me it was a beautiful book
    Agreed. And the reason?? Money and the Mormon church...both of which corrupt. (Btw, in the book they compare the abduction to 9/11 SEVERAL times!)
    I am in the middle of Ishmael. I stalled out after a while. I NEED to get through this book, I made a promise.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    Finished Toll the Hounds and Hamlet. And some poetry.

Now reading:

Shibumi
    The Tyranny of the Night
    Shakespeare
    W.B. Yeats
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at somebody.
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,100
    This Just In by Bob Schieffer of CBS News.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    Just finished Marley & Me yesterday. I have to admit I shed a tear at the end.

Now I'm either going to start Ishmael or Sex Drugs and CocoPuffs.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • Options
    À la recherche du temps perdu by Marcel Proust