Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    "August 1914" by Alexander Solzhenitsyn.
    It is about the start of World War 1 as told from the Russian perspective.
    Hold On
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu
  • Options
    yeah, baby, just got my Artie Lange book.
    model role model
  • Options
    I'm reading 'Yes Man' by Danny Wallace. It's about a dude who says yes to everything...... With hilarious consequences. I'm loving it so far! :D
    "The North is to South what the clock is to time"

Leeds Festival 25/08/06
    Manchester MEN Arena 17/08/09
  • Options
    Anna_Lou wrote:
    I'm reading 'Yes Man' by Danny Wallace. It's about a dude who says yes to everything...... With hilarious consequences. I'm loving it so far! :D

nice.
    model role model
  • Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    Walden
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Options
    Blaze by Stephen King. So far, so good. It is Stephen King after all.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Just read 'The Road'
    I searched the thread and found like 20 posts about it....looks like I'm a step behind. Should watch more Oprah I guess :D

I liked it...really easy read. I was told it had a bit of an open ending as well...but I don't know what else you could do to end that book that wouldn't cheapen it immensely.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    Drop City
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Blaze by Stephen King. So far, so good. It is Stephen King after all.

i was at the bookstore yesterday and they had a Stephen King book that just came out with this weird, reflective looking cover -almost 3d.

Anyone read the new Eminem or Cobain book? Is it worth it?
    model role model
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,692
    Just finished "Better" by Atul Gawande and "Too Fat to Fish" by artie Lange.

Now reading "Why New Orleans Matters" by Tom Piazza, "Monsters of Templeton" by Lauren Groff, and " Just Past Sunset" by Stephen King.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

Now reading "Why New Orleans Matters" by Tom Piazza, "Monsters of Templeton" by Lauren Groff, and " Just Past Sunset" by Stephen King.

just past sunset...is that with the 3-d cover?
    model role model
  • Options
    just past sunset...is that with the 3-d cover?

Yes
  • Options
    rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson

Excellent read.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • Options
    rcs wrote:
    Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson

Excellent read.

what was Fear and Loathing (the movie) about? Mostly Hunter's daily life?
    model role model
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    W.B. Yeats
    <3
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Prayers for Rain by Dennis Lehane.

All his books are great. He wrote Mystic River and Gone baby Gone for those of you who have seen the films. Scorsese's got diCaprio on board for the next Lehane book turned into film called Shutter Island. Can't wait to see it cause the book rocked.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    Can't remember if I posted this. I'm reading this book :

http://www.amazon.com/Cunt-Declaration-Independence-Live-Girls/dp/1580050158

It's really good!
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me.."
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969

It's really good!

oh dear :eek:
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    oh dear :eek:

hehe it's actually really cool. Had a bit of history to wade through but then it really got interesting. Learned some new methods to use instead of tampons too. :-D
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    hehe it's actually really cool. Had a bit of history to wade through but then it really got interesting. Learned some new methods to use instead of tampons too. :-D

again... oh dear :eek:
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    again... oh dear :eek:

:-D
  • Options

It's really good!

My grandmother gave me that book.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

did you pick up the collectors edition fo just past sunset with the dvd in it? that's the one i got, but i'm not opening it, i want to just keep it in my bookcase. i'm hoping there will still be collectors editions left in a couple weeks so i can get another one.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    currently re-reading The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster.
    I read it a few years ago and it blew me away. Enough time has gone bythat I've forgotten a lot of it which is great. Really enjoying it now.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    what was Fear and Loathing (the movie) about? Mostly Hunter's daily life?

If you're asking about Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, it was a movie based on his book of the same title. I would definitely suggest reading the book if you were considering either, the movie is a bit crazy, so it helps to have the book in the back of your mind as you're watching. I love both, very entertaining.
    i've been in my mind, it's such a fine line...
  • Options
    Ooooh, this is a good thread for finding new reading material :D

I'm reading Middlemarch by George Elliott and The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie. I've always got at least two on the go at once because I read whatever I'm in the mood for.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Ooooh, this is a good thread for finding new reading material :D

I'm reading Middlemarch by George Elliott and The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie. I've always got at least two on the go at once because I read whatever I'm in the mood for.
    How is the Rushdie? I've only read The Satanic Verses and thought it was terrific. Should read Midnight's Children one day.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    did you pick up the collectors edition fo just past sunset with the dvd in it? that's the one i got, but i'm not opening it, i want to just keep it in my bookcase. i'm hoping there will still be collectors editions left in a couple weeks so i can get another one.

No I bought the one without the DVD. I don't care about collecting, I just want to read the stories.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,258
    I'm about 1/4 of the way through "Under the Banner of Heaven".

So far it's incredible!