What book are you reading?

Comments

• rrivers wrote:
    I think "The Hero" has been pushed back because Krakauer wasn't happy with it. Let me see if I can find the link I read on here.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6573003.html

uh-oh. that's not good. Guess I'll take my time w/Couture book.
    model role model
  • uh-oh. that's not good. Guess I'll take my time w/Couture book.

...yeah, I just read your link. That really sucks. I thoroughly enjoyed his Into the Wild book and I bought the book because I liked the story and had nothing to do w/Vedder's input into the movie, but I did read it right before it came out. Krakauer is a good writer, although he has way too many books it seems on climbing.
    model role model
  • I just finished "Water For Elephants".

I thought it was a good book. I read it in a couple of hours (over a few days). It's an easy read with an interesting story. I definitely recommend it. My only complaint? Some of the storyline was something that has been done many times, but the writer is talented enough to make it addictive and unique, and not at all banal.
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at somebody.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I just finished "Water For Elephants".

I thought it was a good book. I read it in a couple of hours (over a few days). It's an easy read with an interesting story. I definitely recommend it. My only complaint? Some of the storyline was something that has been done many times, but the writer is talented enough to make it addictive and unique, and not at all banal.

I have seen that book displayed a lot, and have not had any interest in it until recently. I was flipping through it yesterday at the bookstore.

What is the part of the storyline that has been done many times before?
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • The whole abusive husband part. And some of the actions of characters. Movements, stances, thoughts.

However, I've been known to be really harsh when it comes to stereotypes (meaning I hate them) and things that have been done before. So...uh, I guess if I say the person did good with it, she did REALLY good :P
  • the runaway jury - grisham
  • ha me too.
    Water for Elephants

and yeah i can see what you're saying.
    i liked the old pics the best i think.
    it was good but nothing special about the storyline.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Everyman - Philip Roth
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • A Child's Garden of Verses Robert Louis Stevenson
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    an audiobook, "The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters"

I was listening to one of the outlanders' series but I found out it was the sixth book, so I have ordered the first one from our library.

I listen while I drive to work
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • India's Unending jJourney by Mark Tully - I got a signed copy and all! :D
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    essex boys - bernard o mahoney
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Finished "Midnight Tides" and am now on "Devil Bones". I'm determined that I will read at least forty books this year. I'm up to 32. The reason it's so few is because twelve of them were 800+ pages. But I'm going to switch to a few shorter books because they are books I've been holding off on because of the Steven Erikson books.
  • catch22catch22 Posts: 1,081
    game of thrones- george rr martin
    and like that... he's gone.
  • Danger. Danger. :p I went to this second hand bookstore near to where I have started going for groceries :o I got four books yesterday for $17. I read one since then by Ken Follett "Whiteout" and I am going to start another this evening.

I have to get back into "Eat, Pray, Love" but I was just in the mood for a page turner.
    Danger. Danger. :p I went to this second hand bookstore near to where I have started going for groceries :o I got four books yesterday for $17. I read one since then by Ken Follett "Whiteout" and I am going to start another this evening.

I have to get back into "Eat, Pray, Love" but I was just in the mood for a page turner.

second hand bookstores are the bane of my existence ;) any time i've almost cleared my shelf of things to read, i wander into one and it's all over!
  • catch22 wrote:
    second hand bookstores are the bane of my existence ;) any time i've almost cleared my shelf of things to read, i wander into one and it's all over!

Mine too. I had a stack on the counter and he kept suggesting books to me... he was like "you realize if you buy three more, you will get another one for free" :eek: I said no I better stop. Plus I still have books at home that I haven't read.
    Finished "Midnight Tides" and am now on "Devil Bones". I'm determined that I will read at least forty books this year. I'm up to 32. The reason it's so few is because twelve of them were 800+ pages. But I'm going to switch to a few shorter books because they are books I've been holding off on because of the Steven Erikson books.

My wife and I have a contest every year to see who can read the most books. Last year I read 30 and she read 31. Right now this year I'm at 16 and I know she's one or two ahead of me, but she just read the "Twilight" series which I think should count for one book.
    catch22 wrote:
    game of thrones- george rr martin

How is that series? I've heard good things about it.
    rrivers wrote:
    How is that series? I've heard good things about it.

i'm only a little ways into the first book. i'm enjoying it a lot so far. great writing and fascinating characters. i've not dipped into the genre in a while, not since robert jordan killed my interest with his never-ending, money-making saga. this is a lot more grounded than most fantasy, almost a straight medieval period piece. very good so far.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Danger. Danger. :p I went to this second hand bookstore near to where I have started going for groceries :o I got four books yesterday for $17. I read one since then by Ken Follett "Whiteout" and I am going to start another this evening.

$17? lightweight!! :p:D you come book shopping with me and i hope you like 2 minute noodles, cause you wont be eating anything else for a month. :D

i just joined the folio society. pretty pretty books.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    catch22 wrote:
    i'm only a little ways into the first book. i'm enjoying it a lot so far. great writing and fascinating characters. i've not dipped into the genre in a while, not since robert jordan killed my interest with his never-ending, money-making saga. this is a lot more grounded than most fantasy, almost a straight medieval period piece. very good so far.

I've heard that about Jordan's series. I really enjoyed the first book in the Wheel of Time series, but I've hesitated picking up the second one because of hearing a lot of people say just what you said.

Last night I was at Barnes and Noble and a guy working there told me he was an "expert" in fantasy and if I needed assistance he would help me. (It didn't come out arrogant like it might look reading it!) Anywho, he told me the George RR Martin series was really good and he said he bailed on The Wheel of Time 100 pages into the tenth book, but he thinks he'll pick it up again when the final posthumous book is released. He recomended a book called "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. It's a first novel and it is a trilogy but the other books aren't out yet. I'm looking forward to reading it even though that Wheel of Time book is really the only fantasy I've ever read, except maybe the Dark Tower series.
    rrivers wrote:
    I've heard that about Jordan's series. I really enjoyed the first book in the Wheel of Time series, but I've hesitated picking up the second one because of hearing a lot of people say just what you said.

Last night I was at Barnes and Noble and a guy working there told me he was an "expert" in fantasy and if I needed assistance he would help me. (It didn't come out arrogant like it might look reading it!) Anywho, he told me the George RR Martin series was really good and he said he bailed on The Wheel of Time 100 pages into the tenth book, but he thinks he'll pick it up again when the final posthumous book is released. He recomended a book called "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. It's a first novel and it is a trilogy but the other books aren't out yet. I'm looking forward to reading it even though that Wheel of Time book is really the only fantasy I've ever read, except maybe the Dark Tower series.

i've never heard of 'name of the wind.' i just read the gunslinger and enjoyed that. george martin is a lot more like robert jordan though. it's epic, and more traditional fantasy... ie swords and whatnot. but martin doesn't have the magic and fanciful elves and whatnot of most fantasy. there is a decent amount of court intrigue and the like, so it is not quite as much of an adventure story as robert jordan or lord of the rings. however, i read a lot of reviews and talked to a lot of friends and it seems martin is pretty widely regarded as the best out there right now.

i dropped out of robert jordan about halfway through the sixth book. that first one was excellent, and so were the next two. but after that, the end just seemed to get further away. once it's done, if people seem ok with the ending, i might give it another chance.
    catch22 wrote:
    i've never heard of 'name of the wind.' i just read the gunslinger and enjoyed that. george martin is a lot more like robert jordan though. it's epic, and more traditional fantasy... ie swords and whatnot. but martin doesn't have the magic and fanciful elves and whatnot of most fantasy. there is a decent amount of court intrigue and the like, so it is not quite as much of an adventure story as robert jordan or lord of the rings. however, i read a lot of reviews and talked to a lot of friends and it seems martin is pretty widely regarded as the best out there right now.

i dropped out of robert jordan about halfway through the sixth book. that first one was excellent, and so were the next two. but after that, the end just seemed to get further away. once it's done, if people seem ok with the ending, i might give it another chance.

Yeah, "The Name of the Wind" is a fairly new book. I'll let you know how it is.

Yeah, from what I've read, I would agree that Martin is really liked. I will give that series a chance one day.

The guy I was talking to yesterday told me Jordan just had no control over the plot and he kept introducing new plotlines, a lot of which were never resolved or took too long to resolve. He also said he introduced a new major character in book ten that just added to the mess.

I really liked the first book though so I think I will give the series a shot. Unfortunately, it sounds like if I read a couple of more it will just suck me into when reading where it starts to get lame.

Is your signature from "The Usual Suspects"?
    rrivers wrote:
    Yeah, "The Name of the Wind" is a fairly new book. I'll let you know how it is.

Yeah, from what I've read, I would agree that Martin is really liked. I will give that series a chance one day.

The guy I was talking to yesterday told me Jordan just had no control over the plot and he kept introducing new plotlines, a lot of which were never resolved or took too long to resolve. He also said he introduced a new major character in book ten that just added to the mess.

I really liked the first book though so I think I will give the series a shot. Unfortunately, it sounds like if I read a couple of more it will just suck me into when reading where it starts to get lame.

Is your signature from "The Usual Suspects"?

yeah, you could see jordan losing control. it was a shame, because those first few books were among the best i'd ever read. honetly, you could sort of stop after the third book and call it the end. i remember the first time reading it thinking it seemed like he had envisioned that as the end, but the success allowed him to expand the story, which got way out of control. the last one is coming out soon though. then i'll consider it again. lemme know how that book turns out, though between classes and the length of these novels, ill be hung up on martin for a while :)

and yes, it is!
    catch22 wrote:

and yes, it is!

Great flick!!!
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    rrivers wrote:
    He recomended a book called "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. It's a first novel and it is a trilogy but the other books aren't out yet.
    I just finished reading this. A friend gave it to me and I loved it. Can't wait for the next one.
    rrivers wrote:
    Great flick!!!

my all time favorite, hehe.
    vduboise wrote:
    I just finished reading this. A friend gave it to me and I loved it. Can't wait for the next one.

I'm really excited to read it. Everything I've heard about it is positive. The guy who recommended it said the only problem is the rest of the series isn't out yet. I checked the author's website and he said the trilogy is finished and they are going to release each book a year apart.
  • The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne.

Wow....
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09