Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    We Need to Talk About Kevin, by Lionel shriver.
  • Options
    I think 'It' is in my top five of his books. "The Stand" is great, have you read both versions? I have both copies and I think I read them both but years ago and all my books are back home *sniff* I miss them :p

I re read "The Green Mile" a month or so again.. I love IT. I re-read most of his books.. excecp "The Tommyknockers" but it has been a bit since I read it.

yeah, i read the cut version of 'the stand' first, then a few years after they released the uncut version. i went out and bought it the first day it was out. friggin' thing was huge and i thought it'd take forever to get through it, but i really had a hard time putting it down once i opened it.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    yeah, i read the cut version of 'the stand' first, then a few years after they released the uncut version. i went out and bought it the first day it was out. friggin' thing was huge and i thought it'd take forever to get through it, but i really had a hard time putting it down once i opened it.

Yeah when I got into King, the uncut version came out. I have only read that version, but I remember my dad had the uncut version. It is one of the best books I ever read. I remember reading it when I was in high school and sitting outside on my grandparent's porch and reading 200 or so pages per day, which really didn't put much of a dent in it.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    MeI'mNotMeI'mNot Posts: 9
    Madame Bovary by Flaubert

Really a great one
    Emotionally Colorblind
  • Options
    mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    LOVE Confederacy Of Dunces. I read it about 20 years ago. I remember Neil Peart said he was reading it so I picked it up.

I am reading right now
    2 Sims 2 Prima Guides Seasons and Freetime
    Idiots Guide to Glycemic Index Weight Loss-My blood sugar has been crazy lately. I get dizzy and those cold sweats,and almost pass out if I eat to many carbs, so I wanted to read up on a glycemic diet.

and
    Sex Starved Marriage
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • Options
    PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,015
    just finished a farewell to arms and was gonna read for whom the bell tolls. but after that ending im gonna hold off. so now im reading another collection of lovercraft stories.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    just finished duma key
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    The Things They Carried
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    brain of c wrote:
    just finished duma key

What did you think? I thought that was King's best book since Bag of Bones.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    brain of c wrote:
    just finished duma key

What did you think?
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    heavier than heaven - The biography of Kurt Cobain by Charles R Cross
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    PahkTheCahPahkTheCah Posts: 193
    just finished a farewell to arms and was gonna read for whom the bell tolls. but after that ending im gonna hold off. so now im reading another collection of lovercraft stories.

I've been reading this for about 2 months now. I got stuck. I'm thinking I need to start it over again. You've got my interest piqued.
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Finally finished the Grapes of Wrath today. Took me forever, because I've barely had any time to read for fun this semester, but it was well worth it. Brilliant book, definitely one I'll be coming back to multiple times.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    The League of the Ho-de-no-sau-nee or Iroquois, by Lewis Henry Morgan
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • Options
    SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Popular Music ~ Mikael Niemi

Really worth reading if you like different stories from a total different place.
    Very scurrile.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Duma Key by Stephen King
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    just picked up Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakaur... pretty messed up book about Fundamentalist Morman faith...
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    Finishing up "Fifth Business", the first book in Robertson Davies' Deptford Trilogy. I actually had to read the second book, "The Manticore", for my Myth and Symbol class this year and this summer I've decided to read all three of them together before I get to anything else. I loooooved "The Manticore", a very deep psychological look into one man's strange and difficult life in a very complicated social/family situation. "Fifth Business" is quite good as well. So far, I recommend them to anyone with an interest in psychology, especially Jungian analysis. Jung would have a field day with these books!
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Ok, so far. My wife loved it so I gave it a shot.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,976
    Ishmael
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    I've just finished Papillon which was one of the best books I've ever read :)

Before that I read 'the road'. Pretty good... thought it was great when I'd finished but it follows the theory that if you leave an ending open it's easy for the reader to keep the story in his/her mind cos I think it's human nature for some of us to want a definite ending. So for that reason, it stuck in my mind... I dunno if that makes a book great though :o

Yesterday I started 'The Lemon Tree' and I've a feeling I'm gonna like it.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    Currently reading Rant by Chuck Palahniuk, in anticipation of his new book Snuff coming out on Tuesday.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • Options
    Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    Reading A Quiet Belief In Angels by R.J. Ellory (AET bookclub) and it's fantastic!! Only about a quarter of the way through it but i'm hooked. To the point that I sat on break at work this morning and though "damnit, I wish i'd brought my book..." :o
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the lovely bones - alice sebold. again, but this time for uni.
    a happy death - albert camus
    mcsweeney's issue 22
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Inhiding230Inhiding230 Posts: 362
    I just read Lovely Bones and really enjoyed it.

I am currently reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (the author of the Kite Runner). Neither are books that I would normally choose but they have had such good reviews I decided to try them. I loved the Kite Runner and so far am liking this one also.
  • Options
    Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    I just got done reading Slaughter House Five!

Me too! I'd never read Vonnegut before-- I loved the book! LOVED IT.
    Yesterday I checked out "The Devil in White City."
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    PJSerf wrote:
    Currently reading Rant by Chuck Palahniuk, in anticipation of his new book Snuff coming out on Tuesday.

Big disappointment for me. I love Palahniuk and can't wait for Snuff, but Rant was bad.

BTW, I'm reading Herzog by Saul Bellow. Fantastic!!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Me too! I'd never read Vonnegut before-- I loved the book! LOVED IT.
    Yesterday I checked out "The Devil in White City."

Vonnegut is my all time favorite!! Everything he's written is golden!!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    "Liberal Fascism" by Jonah Goldberg.

Very eye opening! I would highly recommend it.
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    Before that I read 'the road'. Pretty good... thought it was great when I'd finished but it follows the theory that if you leave an ending open it's easy for the reader to keep the story in his/her mind cos I think it's human nature for some of us to want a definite ending. So for that reason, it stuck in my mind... I dunno if that makes a book great though :o

I really enjoyed The Road. That was the first Cormac McCarthy book I've read. I didn't remember the ending being left that open.