What book are you reading?

Comments

• Rose1963 wrote:
    I'm TRYING to read "Marley & Me" (The World's Worst Dog) by John Grogan. However - my job keeps getting in the way! What I've read so far - I would definitley recommend!

I loved that book, it was so funny! Have you seen marley's film debut? It's on youtube somewhere - I'll dig it out for you if it's still there.
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Still Life with Woodpecker -- Tom Robbins
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I've just finished reading The Other Boleyn Girl (though I haven't seen the movie yet). Really good read. I feel like I've learnt tons about Tudor england, even all of henry VIII's wives and what happened to them. I didn't know all that much before! So much scheming and backstabbing went on back then lol.

Now I'm starting to read the next book, The Boleyn Inheritance, which is proving just as good. What's wierd to me that while everyone knows of evil historical people like Hitler and Rasputin, no-one really thinks of Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk who was just a complete twisted bastard to his family, lol.

My wife read that and really liked it. I think she read the Inheritance too. I know she read another one. She said she wasn't that big a fan of the movie, that it was a lot different from the book.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.

That's next on my "must read" list!! LOOOOOOOOOVE Tony!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• rrivers wrote:
    My wife read that and really liked it. I think she read the Inheritance too. I know she read another one. She said she wasn't that big a fan of the movie, that it was a lot different from the book.

Was it Queen's Fool? I've got that one lined up after this, which I think is about mary and elizabeth 1st and their rivalry.

I still have to see the film when it comes out on dvd. I know they changed the ending somewhat but as long as there isn't some big happy hollywood ending where Anne doesn't end up losing head in the end then I guess I can deal with it!
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    A biography on Václav Havel.
    Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
    Was it Queen's Fool? I've got that one lined up after this, which I think is about mary and elizabeth 1st and their rivalry.

I still have to see the film when it comes out on dvd. I know they changed the ending somewhat but as long as there isn't some big happy hollywood ending where Anne doesn't end up losing head in the end then I guess I can deal with it!

No it wasn't Queen's Fool, it definitely had Boleyn in the title, so I think it was the Inheritance one you mentioned. She really liked it.

I don't think they made it a Hollywood ending. She said it was really bloody. She went with some friends who were grossed out.
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Landscape Turned Red: The Battle of Antietam by Stephen W. Sears
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    I'm about halfway through On the Road by Jack Kerouac.

Figured since I was heading West for the EV shows, it would be appropriate reading while on the plane and traveling back and forth from Santa Barbara to LA.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.
    Did you buy it or get it from the library?
    Can I borrow it? :o
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    too much tuscan sun: confessions of a chianti tour guide by dario castagno.

thanks, mer! :)
    nfanel wrote:
    too much tuscan sun: confessions of a chianti tour guide by dario castagno.

thanks, mer! :)

LOL! You're totally welcome! Funny we're AGAIN reading the same book at the same time. How far into it are you? I just started it...again.

• nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    LOL! You're totally welcome! Funny we're AGAIN reading the same book at the same time. How far into it are you? I just started it...again.
    i'm up to april and the know-it-alls. :D problem is that i just want to drink wine while reading it.
    and not funny/ironic so much as i just like to copy you. :p
    nfanel wrote:
    i'm up to april and the know-it-alls. :D problem is that i just want to drink wine while reading it.
    and not funny/ironic so much as i just like to copy you. :p

LOL! I like you! I gots to go now...Eddie awaits! :D

• gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I just took out Player Piano and The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut and A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick. I'll be reading those three over the next week or two.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • i'm smack dab in the middle of 'bag of bones' by stephen king right now. since the beginning of february, i've read 'from a buick 8', 'it', 'the tommyknockers', 'gerald's game', 'the long walk', 'the girl who loved tom gordon', and a handful of the stories from 'everything's eventual'...all by king (except for 'the long walk'.....which is still a king novel, but written under the name richard bachman).
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    finished "you can't be neutral on a moving train" on my trip to philly a little over a week ago...howard zinn has had such a facinating life!!

i'm trying to finish up "a heartbreaking work of staggering genius" by dave eggers. just realized that it is a memoir...it's a really great read, quite funny too given some of the circumstances. i found myself laughing out loud while reading it on the plane to/from san fran last week.

just bought "killing yourself to live" by chuch klosterman...FINALLY! i'll probably start that tonight :)
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Did you buy it or get it from the library?
    Can I borrow it? :o
    I bought an autographed copy when I took my new friend out to his restaurant. They do not charge extra for the autograph!! How cool is that?!? And yes, of course you can borrow it when I'm done which should be tomorrow on my flight home! :)
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • PearlsGirlPearlsGirl Posts: 257
    Old and New Wars. yeah, I decided to do the pre reading list before grad school. i never read during my undergrad. i just finished reading persepolis 2 though. the series is really good. it's a great adult "comic book" about persia. it's actually just a book, with pictures.
    Don't let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold. Remember why you came and while you're alive, experience the warmth before you grow old.

Best two days of my life: Oasis at MSG and Pearl Jam at the Gorge.
    i'm smack dab in the middle of 'bag of bones' by stephen king right now. since the beginning of february, i've read 'from a buick 8', 'it', 'the tommyknockers', 'gerald's game', 'the long walk', 'the girl who loved tom gordon', and a handful of the stories from 'everything's eventual'...all by king (except for 'the long walk'.....which is still a king novel, but written under the name richard bachman).

King rules!

Not reading, but I saw The Mist a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Darabont should be the only director allowed to adapt King.
  • rrivers wrote:
    King rules!

Not reading, but I saw The Mist a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Darabont should be the only director allowed to adapt King.

i've been a huge king fan since.....8th grade?? somewhere around there, which would make it.......23 years ago. i just finished up 'bag of bones' last night and went out and got 'dolores claiborne' today. i've seen the movie but haven't read the book yet. i took a break from reading a while back, and have recently got back into it.
    ~D.K.S.
  • i've been a huge king fan since.....8th grade?? somewhere around there, which would make it.......23 years ago. i just finished up 'bag of bones' last night and went out and got 'dolores claiborne' today. i've seen the movie but haven't read the book yet. i took a break from reading a while back, and have recently got back into it.

I really liked "Dolores Claiborne" and I found the movie pretty true to it. Have you read "Gerald's Game"? I love King. Brilliant.
  • I really liked "Dolores Claiborne" and I found the movie pretty true to it. Have you read "Gerald's Game"? I love King. Brilliant.

yeah, just got done re-reading it a couple weeks ago. 'gerald's game', 'the tommyknockers', 'it', and 'the long walk' were all re-reads for me. all the others i listed were new to me.

i think my favorite king novel was 'the stand'. probably because it was the first king novel i read.
    ~D.K.S.
  • yeah, just got done re-reading it a couple weeks ago. 'gerald's game', 'the tommyknockers', 'it', and 'the long walk' were all re-reads for me. all the others i listed were new to me.

i think my favorite king novel was 'the stand'. probably because it was the first king novel i read.

I think 'It' is in my top five of his books. "The Stand" is great, have you read both versions? I have both copies and I think I read them both but years ago and all my books are back home *sniff* I miss them :p

I re read "The Green Mile" a month or so again.. I love IT. I re-read most of his books.. excecp "The Tommyknockers" but it has been a bit since I read it.
    i've been a huge king fan since.....8th grade?? somewhere around there, which would make it.......23 years ago. i just finished up 'bag of bones' last night and went out and got 'dolores claiborne' today. i've seen the movie but haven't read the book yet. i took a break from reading a while back, and have recently got back into it.

Yeah I've been a King fan since 8th grade too. 15 years ago for me. Cujo was the first book of his that I read.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I just started reading A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose by Eckhart Tolle.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    Reading "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole
    Really good and tragic story that the author committed suicide. But it won the Pulitzer
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
    smithnic wrote:
    Reading "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole
    Really good and tragic story that the author committed suicide. But it won the Pulitzer

I read that last year and enjoyed it. Yeah the author commited suicide and his mom found the novel and had it published after his death. He went to Tulane where I went!
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Just about to start The Church of Dead Girls by Stephen Dobyns, then I'll be onto The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. Seems appropriate given the events in West Texas lately.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13