Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
    i'm currently reading two novels (one's almost finished, so it's "safe" to overlap, otherwise i start confusing the characters! :D ):

So Young, Brave and Handsome by Leif Enger (he wrote Peace Like a River, which may be my favorite book ever). This is a Western of sorts, much like his last one, and it's so good. Maybe not AS breathtakingly great as his first one, but pretty close. He's a superb writer.

and

The Kindness of Strangers by Katrina Kittle. This one is killing me, since it's about a family that takes in a foster child who has been sexually abused by his own parents. Honestly, when I bought it I wasn't entirely sure of the nature of the "ordeal" the child had been through, which is how the back cover described it. Now that I'm into it and I care about the characters, I want to finish it, but it's beginning to disturb me to the point that I wake up at night thinking about it and getting upset about the whole thing, since I know this kind of horrible shit actually happens. I'm about half way through it, and I find myself hoping that someone kills his parents. That's all I can see right now as a satisfying resolution, but as I told a friend recently, I'm hoping that reading this book (which is very well written, btw, not in any way exploitive) will make me a better person, and maybe I'll be satisfied with something short of their painful annihilation. :(

Next up: Dreams From My Father by (soon to be President) Barack Obama :)
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    The Kindness of Strangers by Katrina Kittle. This one is killing me, since it's about a family that takes in a foster child who has been sexually abused by his own parents. Honestly, when I bought it I wasn't entirely sure of the nature of the "ordeal" the child had been through, which is how the back cover described it. Now that I'm into it and I care about the characters, I want to finish it, but it's beginning to disturb me to the point that I wake up at night thinking about it and getting upset about the whole thing, since I know this kind of horrible shit actually happens. I'm about half way through it, and I find myself hoping that someone kills his parents. That's all I can see right now as a satisfying resolution, but as I told a friend recently, I'm hoping that reading this book (which is very well written, btw, not in any way exploitive) will make me a better person, and maybe I'll be satisfied with something short of their painful annihilation. :(
    :( some books can really take it out of ya.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    Way behind in my reading, but here is my lineup that I'm hoping to tackle in the next month:

The Chris Farley Show
    A Quiet Belief in Angels
    Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk

Hoping to free up some time to finish all 3 by the end of July.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    sarah ve wrote:
    I love Ian Mcewan! His Book Saturday is wonderful!

Saturday is the only book by him that I've read. I enjoyed it.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    had to read 'night' for school last semester or something. one of the blandest books i ever read. the way he described the whole thing it just seemed so boring. i really didnt care about anything he mentioned. his story telling is about as deep as the paper its printed on.

I had to read that in high school as well. I don't remember being particularly moved by it either.
  • Options
    zenith wrote:
    even tho its been sitting on my shelf for a while now, im finally finishing up stephen kings dark tower - halfway thru the second last book, one to go - are these ones ever going to be put to screen???

I heard that JJ Abrahams and Damon Lindelof (the guys behind "Lost") are developing it. I don't think it will come out anytime soon. I think it would work best as an HBO show or miniseries similiar to "John Adams".
  • Options
    Eckhart Tolle's "A New Earth; Awakening to Your Life's Purpose"
    BOOM-DA-DA-DA-DA-BOOM-BOOM-DA-DA
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Nasty Bits by Anthony Bourdain
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    My Booky Wook - Russell Brand
    Crime And Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    Ishmael - Daniel Quinn
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    The Princess Bride
    It is for my book club.
    Not really too into it yet.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I just recently read Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer and I need to promote it on here. Really amazing book by a very good author. Anyone who enjoyed Everything is Illuminated would surely enjoy this book. Check it out.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    About halfway through "Dear American Airlines" by Jonathan Miles and I only started it a couple hours ago. A very quick read, but in the most brilliant of ways. Reminds me a bit of Coupland, especially his latest novel, "The Gum Thief", more stylistically than in plot. (The whole thing is basically a venomous letter to American Airlines about the fucked up state of the narrator's life and how it all boils down to a canceled flight.) In reality, missing the flight is just the breaking point for a man whose life has been spiraling downwards for decades. Miles is a brilliant and captivating new novelist and I highly recommend this for anyone that might be pondering their lives while waiting around in airports this month! :)
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    rrivers wrote:
    I had to read that in high school as well. I don't remember being particularly moved by it either.

I remember not being moved or interested in anything I read in high school, so I can see where you (and others, apparently) are coming from, but I don't understand how someone cannot be touched by this book. The guy saw babies being thrown into the fire. His whole family was murdered and so many people starved to death.
    Are you all so insensitive/numb that this doesn't stir some kind of anger or grief inside you?
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    one flew over the cuckoos nest - ken kesey.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    I just purchased "Fugitive Pieces" so I am going to read that... I am in the midst of "IT" but I have read that so many times I think I can pick it up and leave it from time to time :)
  • Options
    Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg just arrived and I'm trying to get into it, but I worry that I don't know enough about history to keep up.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg just arrived and I'm trying to get into it, but I worry that I don't know enough about history to keep up.

and thats when you find other books to fill in the gaps. :)

but be careful cause one day you could wake up and find yourself surrrounded by piles of books like me. its a shocking addiction. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    and thats when you find other books to fill in the gaps. :)

but be careful cause one day you could wake up and find yourself surrrounded by piles of books like me. its a shocking addiction. :D

you are so right! I just ordered a book called The Long Walk about Soviet prisoners that walk to China to escape!
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    you are so right! I just ordered a book called The Long Walk about Soviet prisoners that walk to China to escape!
    this book sounds really good! let us know how it is...please.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    this book sounds really good! let us know how it is...please.

i thought you were reading " My sexy voice " ???????

let me know when your done with that ! that sounded good too!!
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:
    i thought you were reading " My sexy voice " ???????

let me know when your done with that ! that sounded good too!!
    I was...it was good. I laughed and laughed. the shaving "scene" was the best.
  • Options
    I remember not being moved or interested in anything I read in high school, so I can see where you (and others, apparently) are coming from, but I don't understand how someone cannot be touched by this book. The guy saw babies being thrown into the fire. His whole family was murdered and so many people starved to death.
    Are you all so insensitive/numb that this doesn't stir some kind of anger or grief inside you?

Calm down. I was in high school and I barely remember reading it. Move on and stop being morally superior to everyone.
  • Options
    Just finished "Clapton" and "Son of a Witch". "Son of a Witch" was like all the other Maguire books I've read, just ok. I heard there is a third book in the "Wicked" series coming out this year called "A Lion Among Men" that will focus on the Cowardly Lion.

Now I'm reading "50 Great Short Stories" and "Don't Know Much About History".
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Im currently reading New Earth: finding your life's purpose and a book about reiki.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,015

it was written so matter of a fact. its like nazis used babies as target practice. ok i already knew the nazis did horrible things... thanks for the bland discription mr author person. he should have had his story ghost written.
  • Options
    it was written so matter of a fact. its like nazis used babies as target practice. ok i already knew the nazis did horrible things... thanks for the bland discription mr author person. he should have had his story ghost written.

Right.

Just because you don't particularly care for a book about the holocaust, does not mean you are "insensitive/numb" to the horrible things that happened.

"Mr. Author Person" is funny.
  • Options
    Started "Accidental Death of an Anarchist" today on lunch. A very interesting little play, I believe originally in Italian...? It's definitely a classic satire on power and I'm loving it. The character known as "The Maniac" got me laughing out loud up in the lunchroom, and I hardly ever laugh out loud when reading, even though I always have my nose in a book. Very political, but lots of fun. Similar to the style of Catch-22 I'm finding...well, if Catch-22 had been a play. It's quite amusing though. :)
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I was...it was good. I laughed and laughed. the shaving "scene" was the best.

oh shit ! i almost forgot about the shaving scene!! my god, that gave me nightmares!!! ouch !!!

what about the toilet bowl part, where dude gets his junk stuck between the seat and and the rim of the bowl!!!!!
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:
    oh shit ! i almost forgot about the shaving scene!! my god, that gave me nightmares!!! ouch !!!

what about the toilet bowl part, where dude gets his junk stuck between the seat and and the rim of the bowl!!!!!
    almost peed my self from laughter on that one:)
    gotta love a book like that:)
  • Options
    ForestBrainForestBrain Posts: 460
    I'm reading "The Gardens of the Moon" by Steven Erikson.
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at somebody.