What book are you reading?

Comments

• War of the Worlds by HG Wells

I liked this book. It was much better than the Tom Cruise movie.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • War of the Worlds by HG Wells

that book was awesome.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I just figured out yesterday that I have to read the book "Push" by Sapphire (hooray for one-name authors!) in its entirety by Wednesday for one of my classes. It's a really easy read though, I'm already about halfway done. Very unsettling book, but it's not bad.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • From A Buick 8 by Stephen King. over half way through now. it's pretty good. not exactly what i was expecting, but still a good read.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    From A Buick 8 by Stephen King. over half way through now. it's pretty good. not exactly what i was expecting, but still a good read.

I hurt myself in 2002 when that book came out and was off work for a couple of weeks. I really enjoyed that book during that time. I also read the third Harry Potter book then, and that one has always been my favorite. I think because it was just so relaxing to spend most of the day reading, the weather was really nice, the baseball playoffs were on, and I was on Vicodin!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    Just started "Notes on a Scandal" by Zoe Heller.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    book of lost things- john connolly

also, for class:
    religion and american culture- james marsden
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    'Sometimes a great notion' - Ken Kesey
  • SwanSwan Posts: 350
    i'm reading the civil wars by the greek historian Appian, it's five "books" taken from his Roman History, the civil wars starts with the war between Sulla and Marius and ends with the war between Octavian and Marc Antony.
    I'm the only Hell Mama ever raised.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Edith Wharton by Hermione Lee
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • I'm TRYING to read "Marley & Me" (The World's Worst Dog) by John Grogan. However - my job keeps getting in the way! What I've read so far - I would definitley recommend!
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

"Empty pockets will Allow a greater Sense of wealth...." EV/ITW
  • I just started "Oil!" by Upton Sinclair. On the shelf waiting are "Duma Key" by Stephen King, "Moby Dick", and the last Potter book. I am a student and don't have a whole lot of excess time to do personal reading. On my Christmas break I read "No Country for Old Men", Potter 6, and "The Stand".
  • I'm working on a 15 page paper on George Orwell for school so I've been reading his work. I just finished Animal Farm and am just starting Burmese Days.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • One of my MOST favorite books - Animal Farm! Read it a couple of times!
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

"Empty pockets will Allow a greater Sense of wealth...." EV/ITW
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    know1 wrote:
    "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.

I can barely put it down.

Just finished reading this book, it is exstremely powerful and moving. Highly recommend this book to anyone. Hope the film turns out to be decent.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Stephen Colbert - I am America
  • The Kite Runner. A very moving read so far.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    The China Study.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Just finished "Notes on a Scandal", really good. Started it on Friday.

Moving on to Woody Allen's "Side Effects".
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    The Kite Runner. A very moving read so far.
    A magnificent book... and see the film!
  • Awesome. I just typed in steinbeck on the search icon to find this thread and the first to turn up was this one. My last 2 books were cannery row and sweet thursday. They were good.
  • T C HT C H Posts: 85
    Theology the Lutheran Way - Oswald Bayer
    I've got a Gibson without a case, but I can't get that even tanned look on my face...
  • nuffingman wrote:
    A magnificent book... and see the film!

I will check out the movie as the book was great. I am reading "Atonement" now... boy if it doesn't pick up soon... and I am one hundred pages in.
  • Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    Just read 'The Odessa File' and 'The Afghan', both written by Frederick Forsyth. Ashamed to say this is the first time I have read anything by this author. Don't think I have read any other novels that have been so well researched and historically accurate. Both masterpieces IMO.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    a dull roar - henry rollins
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Bill Bryson - The Lost Continent: Travels in small town America
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • LindaLinda Posts: 1,656
    Paul Coelho, By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
    i'm not happy yet.....
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    I will check out the movie as the book was great. I am reading "Atonement" now... boy if it doesn't pick up soon... and I am one hundred pages in.
    oh no :o I was just about to start that one... god knows why... cos it certainly doesn't look like my kinda film but I thought the book might have lots going on :o

I just finished 'this book will save your life' by AM Homes. It didn't save my life but it was quite an enjoyable, fun and quirky read.

http://www.amazon.com/This-Book-Will-Save-Your/dp/0670034932
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • The Prophet! Very interesting and a short read too!
    "Come on people now, smile on your brother and everybody get together, try to love one another right now!!!!"
    "You my friend, I will defend and if we change, well I love you anyway"
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine, I AM MINE"
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Well i just got some books for my birthday and i have no idea where to start;

The Stars My Destination - Alfred Bester
    The Reality Dysfunction - Peter F. Hamilton
    A Game Of Thrones - George R. R. Martin
    Perdido Street Station - China Mieville
    Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand

.....spoilt for choice really
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007