What book are you reading?

Comments

• rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696

I just finished 'this book will save your life' by AM Homes. It didn't save my life but it was quite an enjoyable, fun and quirky read.

http://www.amazon.com/This-Book-Will-Save-Your/dp/0670034932

I read that last year. It was enjoyable, but not as good as I thought it would be. It was a quick read though.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    Reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy right now and still trudging through "The Terrror" by Dan Simmons. I think I will be reading that book for a long time.
  • just finished how doctors think

rereading into the wild right now just cuz I was bored
    just finished how doctors think

How was that? That is on my "to read" list.
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    rrivers wrote:
    I read that last year. It was enjoyable, but not as good as I thought it would be. It was a quick read though.
    yeh, I agree... it was enjoyable alright and I read through it quickly and easily... but the ending was a bit too hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy for me.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • rrivers wrote:
    How was that? That is on my "to read" list.

it was pretty good. interesting stories in it. A bit repetitive toward the end. But I've studied behavioral decision theory and all the kahneman-traversky heuristic stuff he discusses in the book was familiar to me in the context of economics and environmental issues so I found it interesting in the medical context. basically the take home message is, if you think something is wrong, bug the doctor.
    yeh, I agree... it was enjoyable alright and I read through it quickly and easily... but the ending was a bit too hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy for me.

I didn't read Hitchhiker's. I can't remember the ending of "This Book.." either! I'll pm you in case other people want to read it.
    it was pretty good. interesting stories in it. A bit repetitive toward the end. But I've studied behavioral decision theory and all the kahneman-traversky heuristic stuff he discusses in the book was familiar to me in the context of economics and environmental issues so I found it interesting in the medical context. basically the take home message is, if you think something is wrong, bug the doctor.

Thanks, I will check it out. I haven't heard of anything you mentioned so it will all be new to me.

Have you read any of Atul Gawande's books? I read "Complications: Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science" and it was really good. I have also read some of his stuff in the New Yorker. He is a great writer.
  • oh no :o I was just about to start that one... god knows why... cos it certainly doesn't look like my kinda film but I thought the book might have lots going on : o

I just finished 'this book will save your life' by AM Homes. It didn't save my life but it was quite an enjoyable, fun and quirky read.

http://www.amazon.com/This-Book-Will-Save-Your/dp/0670034932

I might check that out if "Atonement" doesn't bore me to death first :o:p

I am remaining positive that it gets better :o

HOLY CRAP.. that was my 5000th post :eek:
    I will check out the movie as the book was great. I am reading "Atonement" now... boy if it doesn't pick up soon... and I am one hundred pages in.

I read "Saturday" by him. It wasn't the easiest read.

I did hear the book for "Atonement" was better than the movie. The person I talked to said the movie looked nice, but there wasn't a lot to it.
  • LedbetterusLedbetterus Posts: 592
    I just picked up -- '"I Heard You Paint Houses": Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran and the Inside Story of the Mafia, the Teamsters, and the Final Ride of Jimmy Hoffa'.

I haven't gotten into it much yet, but the original book is 3 years old but it was re-released with some more information and a new epilogue.

it's basically a confession by Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran to the author (Charles Brandt) that he indeed killed Jimmy Hoffa.

Supposed to be a great read. And a true account of a high level mob hit man.
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    "The Ambler Warning" by Robert Ludlum.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • rrivers wrote:
    I read "Saturday" by him. It wasn't the easiest read.

I did hear the book for "Atonement" was better than the movie. The person I talked to said the movie looked nice, but there wasn't a lot to it.

I have heard that about his books.. although would have been better to know before I started the book :o:p

I am sure the story may be good but his style just may not be for me but I am not one to give up on a book even if it takes forever.
  • just finished "covert". it's about the nba referee who was a state trooper and goes undercover in the new jersey mafia in the late 1970s.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    I have heard that about his books.. although would have been better to know before I started the book :o:p

I am sure the story may be good but his style just may not be for me but I am not one to give up on a book even if it takes forever.

Yeah I used to give up on books all the time, but now if I start a book, I'm finishing it. It took me nine months to read "The Historian" last year!
  • "Atonement" has actually turned out quite better than I had expected. It was so slow going at first but I am really enjoying it now. Once I finish this though I am off to the library... or to buy the new Stephen King book.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    just finished "covert". it's about the nba referee who was a state trooper and goes undercover in the new jersey mafia in the late 1970s.

i really wanted to read this. how was it?
    Just finished "The Road". Now reading "The Fifth Vial" by Michael Palmer.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,441
    "Freakonomics"

This book explains nonsense correlations: ie: abortion rights lower crime rates.
    (Think: unskilled, drug addicted youth offing their "doomed" offspring.)
  • I just started reading "Starlight Tour" about a kid that was left to die/murdered by police in Saskatoon back in the 90's.
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I'm reading a history book called "Nixon and Mao: The Week That Changed The World" by Margarent McMillan.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    'Stalingrad' - Antony Beevor

"The classic international bestseller recounting the epic turning point of the second world war'.
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Tuesday's with Morrie. Read it halfway through and was way too cynical. Put it down and started again, amazing! Still only halfway through, but enjoying it a lot more!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • mookie9999 wrote:
    Tuesday's with Morrie. Read it halfway through and was way too cynical. Put it down and started again, amazing! Still only halfway through, but enjoying it a lot more!

It is good isn't it? :o Don't even get me started on "Marley & Me"... I realize not the same but they both made me cry :o
    Just finished "The Terror" by Dan Simmons. Great read. Wasn't a huge fan of the last 50 pages or so, but still great for the other 700!

Now I am reading "Son of a Witch" by Gregory Maguire. It's ok. Similiar to other books I have read by him where there are really interesting parts and then slow parts (like where I am now).

Also started "The Flanders Panel", a mystery about art and chess.
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    "No one here gets out alive"
    Biography of Jim Morrison. Best Morrison book out there.
    This is the fourth time reading it in almost 12 years
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Some english, math, and environmental science course books.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    The History of Love - Nicole Krauss

Not liking it so far. Contrived and soulless.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • I've just finished reading The Other Boleyn Girl (though I haven't seen the movie yet). Really good read. I feel like I've learnt tons about Tudor england, even all of henry VIII's wives and what happened to them. I didn't know all that much before! So much scheming and backstabbing went on back then lol.

Now I'm starting to read the next book, The Boleyn Inheritance, which is proving just as good. What's wierd to me that while everyone knows of evil historical people like Hitler and Rasputin, no-one really thinks of Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk who was just a complete twisted bastard to his family, lol.
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019